ff7 Remake (With Screenshots)

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

amigocabal
Jedi Knight

ff7 Remake (With Screenshots)

Post by amigocabal »

A youtuber by the name of RadBrad posted a walkthrough of the FF7 Remake.

The game looks great so far. I can only imagine how "One Winged Angel" would sound.
Jub
Sith Marauder

Re: ff7 Remake (With Screenshots)

Post by Jub »

I'm actually disappointed that it doesn't look better. I'm used to a Final Fantasy game being the best looking game of its generation and this one hasn't wowed me. Then again I'm a PC gamer who just recently got back into console gaming so perhaps I'm just used to what a reasonably current PC can offer compared to a console game.

Graphics aside, I'm ~11 hours in and enjoying it so far.

EDIT: It's not just me.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

HOLY SHIT.
I need a P4 again.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Are there any plans for it to come to other platforms ?
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

bilateralrope wrote: 2020-04-11 08:33pm Are there any plans for it to come to other platforms ?
Nothing official but people expect it to come to PC in a year or so.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Nice. I see my wife buying this.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Jub wrote: 2020-04-11 08:50pm
bilateralrope wrote: 2020-04-11 08:33pm Are there any plans for it to come to other platforms ?
Nothing official but people expect it to come to PC in a year or so.
Looks like I'll just watch a youtuber play through it then.
Bedlam
Jedi Master

Post by Bedlam »

Jub wrote: 2020-04-11 05:10pm I'm actually disappointed that it doesn't look better. I'm used to a Final Fantasy game being the best looking game of its generation and this one hasn't wowed me.
I remember rushing out to get the game on PC and then ending up having to wait for about 3 years before I could afford to get a machine that had the specs to run it.
amigocabal
Jedi Knight

Post by amigocabal »

Here are some screen captures from the video posted.

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

The graphics are AMAZING, and theres been no clipping in any of the walkthrus I've watched. There's a seamless transition between cutscene and gameplay, and the new battle-system is a very nice upgrade from the ATB of old.
Summons don't just Show & Go, they stay around to battle, and you can control some of their actions.
All weapons and armor are Upgradable and Modable, which can be automated for those who don't want something else to bother with.
They really expanded on SideQuests, as well as expanding more on Biggs, Wedge, and Jesse's backgrounds. They're no longer disposable minions, but well-fleshed (and helpful!) sidekicks with backstories.

There's so much that's been added! More Motorcycle battles! More missions (and Chekov's Guns) set up! But, most of all, HolySHIT is Shinra's evil corp side played up more! I thought I hated Shinra and Heidegger the LAST time! And on top of that, instead of white flashes, you get actual PSTD flashbacks for Cloud's memories as well as Sephiroth's appearances.

Thing is? I know this release ends at the Escape from Midgard. They seriously need to have the the next two-four releases in the pipes ASAP, but now they've screwed themselves by giving us such high expectations for expanded world, expanded stories concerning side characters, expanded side quests, and more about Shinra's Evil Plans, while making Sephiroth remain the menacing ghost in the background. Until that one scene with Aerith.
Improving that scene is going to be the real test. How do you add more pathos to the scene that shocked and horrified millions of gamers, to the point it's still talked about today?

Anyway... that's my two-bits, just from watching on the sidelines. If I get a PS4 and my own copy, or get to play someone else's game, I'll add more.
I will state that watching PlayThrus is frustrating, because there's things *I* would do (ie pause and listen to npc conversations) that those posting the PlayThru aren't doing. Like immediately equipping that new toy you just got? And USING spells other than Cure? *sigh*
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

So you don't get the whole game? That's fucked up.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

Gandalf wrote: 2020-04-13 06:21pm So you don't get the whole game? That's fucked up.
This is the whole game that we were promised, from close to the start Squenix said that it would be part 1 of a series of games. Given how much they've added between key points in the original game I don't think they could have released the entire thing as a regular priced game.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Jub wrote: 2020-04-13 06:27pm
Gandalf wrote: 2020-04-13 06:21pm So you don't get the whole game? That's fucked up.
This is the whole game that we were promised, from close to the start Squenix said that it would be part 1 of a series of games. Given how much they've added between key points in the original game I don't think they could have released the entire thing as a regular priced game.
Indeed they stated pretty early that FF7remake would split into parts (IIRC they talked about 3 parts but I not 100% sure on that) probably because while impressive by the standards of the Playstation FF7 is quite bare bones by current standards with the middle portion being mostly mindless grind to level your characters for the endgame.

So I'm guessing Square Enix to this opportunity to expand the details of the areas in game as well as the side characters. So you're getting a full game, just a full game that covers only first part of the original FF7.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

Lord Revan wrote: 2020-04-13 07:57pmIndeed they stated pretty early that FF7remake would split into parts (IIRC they talked about 3 parts but I not 100% sure on that) probably because while impressive by the standards of the Playstation FF7 is quite bare bones by current standards with the middle portion being mostly mindless grind to level your characters for the endgame.

So I'm guessing Square Enix to this opportunity to expand the details of the areas in game as well as the side characters. So you're getting a full game, just a full game that covers only first part of the original FF7.
Without doing a side by side playthrough I'd guess there's anywhere between 3 to 8 times more content per area if you want to experience everything in each chapter before moving on.

For example, I've just hit Wall Market (maybe closer to halfway through now that I think of it) and have nearly 16 hours of playtime invested thus far. I've done all the side missions as they've come up but haven't slow-rolled my way through to soak up all the background dialogue and ensure that I've spoken to every interactable NPC. I wouldn't expect to have more than 4 hours in the original and even that would only be if I was trying to gather every item along the way.
Oscar Wilde
Padawan Learner

Post by Oscar Wilde »

I've played through the whole thing and I like it quite a bit, most of it anyway. Some of the fighty can be a pain in the ass. I don't think putting elemental on a weapon helps stagger at all and highly mobile enemies will just not get hit with Ice.

And the ending is uh. I'm really not sure what to say. Spoiler
Hopefully its the end of the timeline auditor silliness though.
It's funny how every Cracked reader seems to change occupation in between reading each article, so that they always end up being irrefutable field experts in whatever topic is at hand.-Dirty_Bastard, cracked.com commentator
Highlord Laan
Jedi Master
Location: Christo-fundie Theofascist Dominion of Nebraskistan

Post by Highlord Laan »

Cloud dancing in the Honeybee Inn was hilarious, and I am now gayer for having hatched it. :P

The look on Aerith's face at seeing Cloud in a dress sold it. I'd fear for Cloud's virtue, but I'm pretty sure he'd be cool with it.
Never underestimate the ingenuity and cruelty of the Irish.
Soontir C'boath
SG-14: Fuck the Medic!
Location: Queens, NYC I DON'T FUCKING CARE IF MANHATTEN IS CONSIDERED NYC!! I'M IN IT ASSHOLE!!!

Post by Soontir C'boath »

Nah, still fucked up it's not the entire game. How many damn years have they taken and it's only part 1? Bullshit.

Anyway, I bought the 1st Class edition with the Hardy Daytona so they got me good less I can resell this a few years down the road for profit. If there is a PC port coming, I'll wait for that too.
I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action"; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a "more convenient season."
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Soontir C'boath wrote: 2020-04-17 03:44pm Nah, still fucked up it's not the entire game. How many damn years have they taken and it's only part 1? Bullshit.
That's episodic gaming for you.
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

Soontir C'boath wrote: 2020-04-17 03:44pm Nah, still fucked up it's not the entire game. How many damn years have they taken and it's only part 1? Bullshit.

Anyway, I bought the 1st Class edition with the Hardy Daytona so they got me good less I can resell this a few years down the road for profit. If there is a PC port coming, I'll wait for that too.
From what I understand they've actually remade this remake once already as they had initially outsourced the work to another studio and weren't happy with that team's work. Squenix's main sin with this one has been announcing it too early and their generally slow work rate as a studio.