Using folding@home to combat Covid-19

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

The Infidel
Jedi Master

Using folding@home to combat Covid-19

Post by The Infidel »

I've started to give some of my computing power to combat the Covid-19 virus using folding@home. I would strongly recommend you guys with unused computing power to follow me here.

I'm following team 11741, mostly because a local newspaper said they were used to combat Covid-19, but I don't think it really matters, what matters is that you put "I support research fighting" to "any disease", as the GPU will then start on projects related to combat this corona fuckery.

Using the power setting to "light" will only use about 50% of your cores and maybe 40% of your GPU, but not at the same time, "Full" will use every CPU core except one and as much GPU as possible, sometimes working on two projects at the same time, but you better have a well ventilated system for that, as both GPU and CPU will run on almost max for extended periods of time.

Proteins and stuff are tricky things and they move around and reconfigure themselves. To have a snapshot of one is like having a snapshot of a football game: It gives an impression, but it's difficult to see how the game will go. What folding@home does, is to simulate how different proteins can move to see how medication can fit into them.
Where am I at in the post apocalypse draft? When do I start getting picks? Because I want this guy. This guy right here. I will regret not being able to claim the quote, "The first I noticed while burning weed, so I burned it, aiming at its head first. It wriggled for about 10 seconds. Too long... I then fetched an old machete [+LITERALLY ANYTHING]"
- Raw Shark on my slug hunting
The Infidel
Jedi Master

Re: Using folding@home to combat Covid-19

Post by The Infidel »

Some of the projects, so maybe it matters?

11741: Coronavirus SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19 causing virus) receptor binding domain in complex with human receptor ACE2. atoms: 165550, credit: 15396
11742: Coronavirus SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19 causing virus) protease in complex with an inhibitor. atoms: 62227, credit: 9405
11743: Coronavirus SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19 causing virus) protease – potential drug target. atoms: 62180, credit: 9405
11744: Coronavirus SARS-CoV (SARS causing virus) receptor binding domain trapped by a SARS-CoV S230 antibody. atoms: 109578, credit: 7608
11745: Coronavirus SARS-CoV (SARS causing virus) receptor binding domain mutated to the SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19 causing virus) trapped by a SARS-CoV S230 antibody. atoms: 110370, credit: 7685
11746: Coronavirus SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19 causing virus) receptor binding domain in complex with human receptor ACE2 (alternative structure to 11741). atoms: 182699, credit: 16615
11737: Cause: unspecified This is a CORE22 test project -- the DHFR benchmark.
Where am I at in the post apocalypse draft? When do I start getting picks? Because I want this guy. This guy right here. I will regret not being able to claim the quote, "The first I noticed while burning weed, so I burned it, aiming at its head first. It wriggled for about 10 seconds. Too long... I then fetched an old machete [+LITERALLY ANYTHING]"
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

Is there a way to contribute with basically similar but separate program BOINC? I already have that installed and due to the way these things work you can't run two of them simultaneously on the same PC.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
The Infidel
Jedi Master

Post by The Infidel »

Zaune wrote: 2020-03-22 08:25am Is there a way to contribute with basically similar but separate program BOINC? I already have that installed and due to the way these things work you can't run two of them simultaneously on the same PC.
You know, I have no idea.
Do Boinc work to combat Covid-19, too?

Sorry for late answer as I thought maybe somebody else might reply.
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

Not a problem. Someone on another forum already pointed me to Rosetta@Home, run by a different team who are doing broadly similar work. (F@H is a Stanford program while Rosetta operates out of the University of Washington in Seattle, if you were curious.)
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog