Computer doing weird things.

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Computer doing weird things.

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Okay, so, my computer (Windows 10 desktop) started doing some weird shit tonight. It often does weird shit, some of which is probably normal shit I just don't understand because I'm not a techie person, and I take it for granted that almost that any computer that hasn't been in for maintainance recently has some malware on it, these days, but this was particularly troubling to me.

First, it wouldn't shut down. I tried multiple times to shut down, and it seemed to turn off when I clicked shutdown, but then came back on on the login screen as though I was restarting it. I paid close attention to make sure I wasn't hitting restart by mistake. I wasn't.

Shortly thereafter, I noted that Bluetooth (which I always have off) had somehow turned itself on. The only thing I can think of is that I might have somehow turned it on when I was checking my internet settings, and accidentally put it on airplane mode for a moment. But I don't know if that would explain.

So now I'm worried my computer has been hacked, that some hacker turned on my Bluetooth so they can do God knows what with it, and I'm afraid to leave it on but also afraid to turn it off because it won't shut down and if I pull the plug while its still on, that could fuck it up even more.

I can't find much information online on Bluetooth turning itself on on a Windows 10, so I'm wondering if anyone has had this happen to them before and what might have caused it.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Ace Pace
Hardware Lover

Re: Computer doing weird things.

Post by Ace Pace »

If you're truly paranoid, do a a reset on the Windows system. That keeps all your files but resets the operating system. For the majority of malware, this will kick them off your PC. Generally, most people end up running Office programs and a browser so it's not a big deal.
Brotherhood of the Bear | HAB | Mess | SDnet archivist |
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

Depending on what exactly you have stored you could back up everything important on external storage, format the drive, reinstall Windows, and then add your files back onto your machine. It's overkill and I'd recommend just installing Kaspersky and Malwarebytes and resting easy if they don't find anything. From there you can check if anything strange happens and confirm your PCs health for yourself.
Gary J. Scudder
Redshirt

Post by Gary J. Scudder »

Jub wrote: 2019-07-07 03:26am Depending on what exactly you have stored you could back up everything important on external storage, format the drive, reinstall Windows, and then add your files back onto your machine. It's overkill and I'd recommend just installing Kaspersky and SafeWiper and resting easy if they don't find anything. From there you can check if anything strange happens and confirm your PCs health for yourself.
The biggest advantage of these two tools is that they can check whether the computer is safe at any time, and they are also good at cleaning up computer.
Gary J. Scudder
Redshirt

Post by Gary J. Scudder »

Jub wrote: 2019-07-07 03:26am Depending on what exactly you have stored you could back up everything important on external storage, format the drive, reinstall Windows, and then add your files back onto your machine. It's overkill and I'd recommend just installing Kaspersky and Malwarebytes and resting easy if they don't find anything. From there you can check if anything strange happens and confirm your PCs health for yourself.
The biggest advantage of these two tools is that detect the computer at any time if there is anything wrong with the computer, and they are also good at cleaning up computer.