Looking to build a new PC.

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Re: Looking to build a new PC.

Post by Enigma »

Didn't know this thread was still active.
I still use optical drives as I still games and movies that require it.
As for SSDs, I'll have to think about it. I won't rule it out.
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
The Infidel
Jedi Master

Post by The Infidel »

Enigma wrote: 2019-05-24 06:45pm Didn't know this thread was still active.
When I switched from 2x500Gb Raid to an SSD as system drive on my old computer (Core2Duo 8500), it felt like a whole new computer. I changed nothing else. Even a cheap SATA SSD is a vast improvement over HDD as a system drive.

OK, reason for this post: I was wondering if the Intel Optane would work on an AMD system. I'm not sure yet, but I came across AMD's answer to this. Something they called StoreMI. It takes a HDD and merges it with an SSD (up to 256Gb) and even up to 2Gb of RAM to create one single volume that, according to AMD, has the size of the combined drives and speed of the SSD and some caching from RAM. This only works on X399 and 400-series chipsets. I don't know much about AMD chipsets, so I'm not sure if this is high end chipsets or consumer chipsets. Neither do I know if data on the HDD will be moved to the SSD (I think so) and if that makes the HDD unusable on its own. Then again, 256Gb SSD's are dirt cheap now. Normally, I would recommend at least 500Gb SSD as system these days, but if it combines with the HDD, it might just work.

But of course, as I mentioned above, I have no idea what would happen to the data if the SSD or system breaks down and you need to put the HDD in another computer.

It should at least bring the price a bit down.

https://www.amd.com/en/technologies/store-mi

BTW: You know you can use nVidia graphics cards on an AMD system, right?
Where am I at in the post apocalypse draft? When do I start getting picks? Because I want this guy. This guy right here. I will regret not being able to claim the quote, "The first I noticed while burning weed, so I burned it, aiming at its head first. It wriggled for about 10 seconds. Too long... I then fetched an old machete [+LITERALLY ANYTHING]"
- Raw Shark on my slug hunting
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

Enigma wrote: 2019-05-24 06:45pmDidn't know this thread was still active.
Currently, SSDs are best used for your OS and your Steam library, paired with a conventional HDD for storing your music, videos and other data. They're much slower but still significantly cheaper per GB.

As to optical drives, if you think you'll need it regularly then a SATA one is slightly cheaper than USB, so if I were you I'd go for it. It's not like you're going to need the 5.25 bay for anything else.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
Exonerate
Sith Marauder

Post by Exonerate »

AMD's new Zen 2 Ryzen lineup has been announced and it looks like it'll take back the crown from Intel. I'm also still running a 2500K and plan to upgrade to one of these options. Even if you don't go for it, a new product line usually means price decreases for the existing offerings. The new Radeon Navis are also coming out at the same time on the GPU front, so if you can wait until 7 July (or longer if you want to see the reviews), that would be a nice breakpoint to pull the trigger.

I have a Fractal Design R6 case myself and am very satisfied with it. Good airflow, low noise, easy to take apart and put together.

BoTM, MM, HAB, JL
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

Exonerate wrote: 2019-05-28 07:35pm AMD's new Zen 2 Ryzen lineup has been announced and it looks like it'll take back the crown from Intel. I'm also still running a 2500K and plan to upgrade to one of these options. Even if you don't go for it, a new product line usually means price decreases for the existing offerings. The new Radeon Navis are also coming out at the same time on the GPU front, so if you can wait until 7 July (or longer if you want to see the reviews), that would be a nice breakpoint to pull the trigger.

I have a Fractal Design R6 case myself and am very satisfied with it. Good airflow, low noise, easy to take apart and put together.
Not to mention the price cuts on old gen stock that will happen around that date.
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

Slight necro. A couple of weeks ago I went ahead and built my new computer.

CPU: AMD RYZEN 7 2700X
PSU: IPSG 750W 80+ SEMI ATX
Storage: CRUCIAL 1TB P1 NVME M.2 SSD. Plus added a 1TB HDD.
RAM: G.SKILL 32GB 2X16 D4 3200 RIPJAWS
Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX B450F GAMNG ATX
GPU: ASUSCOMP RX-580 ROG 8GB OC
Optical Drive: External DVD burner.

For the chassis, I went with a "Thermaltake Urban S41 ATX Micro ATX Mid-Tower Chassis with Turbo Fans and Docking Station"
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!