Blizzard Re-Releases Diablo-1

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Blizzard Re-Releases Diablo-1

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

ERMERGERD!!! ITZ DIABLO!!!!!!!
https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2019/03/ ... zards-app/

I love the fact that it is a direct partnership with... NOT Steam, but GOG :3 and that blizzard announced they would be releasing future projects through them as well :3
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Re: Blizzard Re-Releases Diablo-1

Post by Vendetta »

It's with GOG because they're willing to put in the effort to make it work well on modern operating systems, and Valve aren't willing to put in any effort to do anything.
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Why are people dumping on valve here? Anything that's blizzard Activision linked is more or less automatically not going to be on steam. They are far too direct of competitors. GOG meanwhile is run by CD Projekt, a company that has exactly one franchise released, which was based on licensed content from a completely random Polish fiction author from 25 years ago.

In fact one that wouldn't even exist had the rights holders for a prior never released Witcher game enforced their exclusive rights to the franchise, But they simply didn't because the guy who was head of the failed company said yeah, we failed, I don't care. But that was his whim, CD Projekt actually shouldn't even exist.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

Sea Skimmer wrote: 2019-03-12 02:10am Why are people dumping on valve here? Anything that's blizzard Activision linked is more or less automatically not going to be on steam. They are far too direct of competitors. GOG meanwhile is run by CD Projekt, a company that has exactly one franchise released, which was based on licensed content from a completely random Polish fiction author from 25 years ago.

In fact one that wouldn't even exist had the rights holders for a prior never released Witcher game enforced their exclusive rights to the franchise, But they simply didn't because the guy who was head of the failed company said yeah, we failed, I don't care. But that was his whim, CD Projekt actually shouldn't even exist.
Maybe it's because Valve is objectively shit at the one thing that they actually do at the moment. Steam curation is an utter joke, their refund policy is overly restrictive, they shove DRM into every game on their platform, they ask for a 30% cut, and (off-topic but I can't resist) they can't even manage to make DotA into an eSport worth the name except for one week out of the year. They're lucky they got into this business first and have a large lead because people are starting to look for a viable alternative.

As for CD Projekt, while it's early days yet, Cyberpunk 2020 is very hotly anticipated and should sell well if it can make a good first impression. They're also making a point of releasing it on as many online retailers are they reasonably can, unlike some recent games. GOG itself is well regarded for it's DRM policy and the care with which old games are patched to run on modern machines without fiddling with third-party software and unofficial patches. I'd rather see GOG rise and Steam fall given the current state of the respective companies.
houser2112
Padawan Learner

Post by houser2112 »

Jub wrote: 2019-03-12 03:56amSteam curation is an utter joke
Am I the only one that doesn't mind this? Steam gives you the tools to avoid the games you don't like. I'm not a fan of Japanese pron games or school shooting simulators, but if I was, I'd appreciate that there was a convenient place to get them.
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

houser2112 wrote: 2019-03-12 08:53amAm I the only one that doesn't mind this? Steam gives you the tools to avoid the games you don't like. I'm not a fan of Japanese pron games or school shooting simulators, but if I was, I'd appreciate that there was a convenient place to get them.
That would be fine if these games didn't ship without executables or weren't just assemblies of prepackaged assets. If there was actual artistry behind most of the worst games on Steam I'd be all for it but the reality is a world of stolen assets, badge trading schemes, hate speech, and utter scams. If there was even a bare minimum of curation you'd have a point but as there is literally none at the moment you have no leg to stand on.
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

I guess selling commander packs has finally tapped out and since making new content is out of the question: let's just do a shitty port/hack of a dated game to modern operating systems. 4K support? Widescreen? Fake Fullscreen? What's that?

Diablo 1 is dated and was honestly pretty hideous and mechanically simple even on release. That was part of the popularity since it would run on your mom's Dell and didn't require two brain-cells to rub together on normal difficulty.

Other games, including even later Diablo games, have expanded on the tech demo Blizzard released. There's better skinner boxes out there that demolish fewer left-mouse buttons. And there's much better clicking sims.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

At least it being on GOG means that Activision-Blizzard can't stick microtransactions into this remaster.
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

Welp, a number of peeps said to expect this, but didn’t expect it so soon. Ladies and gentlemen, Gog releases Warcraft and Warcraft 2 !

https://www.gog.com/news/release_warcra ... et_edition
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!