FALLOUT 76

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Imperial528
Jedi Council Member

Re: FALLOUT 76

Post by Imperial528 »

See, it's kind of moot to me if the environments look good or if the side quests are well written if the game isn't interesting and functional enough that I want to actually go to those places and complete those quests. Which, as I confirmed when I tried F76 during the week it was free to play, F76 is not an interesting nor functional game. Mind, when I say functional, I'm also speaking to the feature depth and execution, which F76 somehow managed to have less of compared to F4 pretty much out of the gate. The game could be 100% stable and bug-free and I still wouldn't play it.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

So... is there any word on the next one of these games, considering that 76 has been an omnishambles?
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Gandalf wrote: 2019-10-25 07:37pm So... is there any word on the next one of these games, considering that 76 has been an omnishambles?
Not for awhile since Bethesda stated plan was Fallout 76-Starfield-Elder Scrolls the next one-the next Fallout (Tentative)
Who knows if that plan keeps up but we can trust that everything will be on the same engine! Well the same engine called three different names with a bunch of things tapped onto the existing engine.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

Class Warfare invades Fallout 76
Like the vaults themselves, Fallout 76 has become a curious social experiment. Since launch, the initially egalitarian West Virginian wasteland has slowly been splitting its community with microtransactions and premium conveniences, which reached their zenith last week with the launch of Fallout 1st, a premium membership subscription. Now some players seem to be gearing up for a class war.

"Fallout 1st players are being targeted in adventure mode," claims a player on Reddit. The Fallout 1st icon and fancy gear makes them stand out, apparently encouraging other players to grief them. While some seem to think Fallout 1st players are fair game, others see it as harassment of innocent players over Bethesda's business decisions.

It's not like West Virginia was a peaceful commune before Fallout 1st, however, and players hunting down their fellow survivors is nothing new. PvP is also largely opt-in, and you can't be killed by another player unless you're hostile. Generally, there aren't that many ways for people to get under someone's skin.

We've even got what looks an awful lot like someone pretending to be a subscriber riling people up on the other side. "We need to assemble and build gated communities for ourselves," reads Potato_Seduction's call to arms on Reddit. "Piss poor 76ers are targeting us!" The day before, however, they were calling the game a cash grab, so this is clearly a double agent. So much intrigue!

I doubt we're going to see a bloody uprising of disenfranchised players, but there's undeniably a lot of frustrated players looking to vent. Lots of games have players split into subscribers and free players and don't get criticised for splitting the community, but in most cases they either launched that way or were originally exclusively subscription-based. In Fallout 76, the subscription came out of the blue. Every time a utility item was added to the cash shop, there was a great deal of grumbling, so the reaction to a $100 per year subscription hasn't been a surprise.
Best read while listening to the following:
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

ZeniMax to refund consumers for the Fallout 76 game
1 November 2019

The ACCC has accepted a court-enforceable undertaking from three related video gaming companies after they acknowledged they were likely to have misled consumers about their consumer guarantee rights in relation to the online action game Fallout 76.

The companies, ZeniMax Media Inc, ZeniMax Europe Limited and ZeniMax Australia Pty Ltd (together, ZeniMax), accepted that their actions were likely to have contravened the Australian Consumer Law (ACL).

The ACCC received complaints that ZeniMax representatives told consumers that they were not entitled to a refund after they had experienced a variety of faults with the Fallout 76 game, including, in some cases, problems with the servers, lagging, graphic and visual problems.

“ZeniMax has acknowledged that they are likely to have misled certain Australian consumers about their rights to a refund when they experienced faults with their Fallout 76 game,” ACCC Commissioner Sarah Court said.

ZeniMax will offer to provide refunds to consumers who contacted them between 24 November 2018 and 1 June 2019 to request a refund and have not already received one. Consumers who accept a refund will no longer be entitled to access and play the game.

“When a consumer buys a product it comes with automatic consumer guarantees, and retailers must ensure their refunds and returns policies do not misrepresent what the Australian Consumer Law provides,” Ms Court said.

“When a consumer has purchased a product that has a fault which amounts to a major failure, the Australian Consumer Law provides them with the right to ask for their choice of either a repair, replacement or refund.”

ZeniMax has also undertaken to amend its customer service documents and scripts to address the ACCC’s concerns about misrepresentation of the consumer guarantee rights under the ACL.

ZeniMax’s undertaking is available at ZeniMax Media Inc, ZeniMax Europe Limited and ZeniMax Australia Pty Ltd.

Background

ZeniMax Media Inc. creates and publishes original interactive entertainment content for consoles, PC, and mobile devices.

The Fallout 76 game was published by Bethesda Softworks LLC who is part of the ZeniMax Media Inc. family of companies. The Fallout 76 game was released on 14 November 2018.

Release number:
203/19
The bad PR continues.
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

It's cute because if they had sold their Beta software as Early-Access for like $20 with the idea of charging consumers more later with a sub or cash-shop items: we wouldn't be here. Or after the sucker's beta test, which was still paid for but with a lower than AAA price: fix all the bugs, fill in the content, and then release a Definitive Edition for $60 (or whatever).

Instead..... this.
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

From Here
A hack has been causing issues for some Fallout 76 players, who have unexpectedly found themselves stripped down to their underwear while another player runs off with their items. There wasn't much anyone could do when targeted by the hack, though Bethesda claims only a small number of players have been affected and the exploit has now been fixed.

The sneaky hack, which players were warned about on Reddit, let cheating players strip their fellow survivors of items. Aside from caps, scrip and a few other things, it apparently made your entire inventory vulnerable. A player also uploaded a video of themselves doing the deed, rendering their victims confused and nude.

With nothing players are able to do, and with Bethesda apparently unable to restore stolen items, the Reddit post suggested that people shouldn't risk using public servers. Unfortunately, that wasn't really an option for people unless they were invited into a private server by a subscriber.

Last night, Bethesda addressed the issue, updating players and promising that a solution was imminent. It acknowledged the severity of the hack, though it also said it just allowed players to steal equipped items.

"We are investigating reports of a PC-only exploit that could be abused by cheaters, which may have resulted in a few players losing items that their characters had equipped," Bethesda said. "We have been actively working toward a solution for this and have a fix that we are currently evaluating for release today."

Since then, Fallout 76 has undergone maintenance on PC to shore up the game and deal with the exploit. Players who have been robbed have been told to contact the support team and Bethesda is looking into ways to compensate players. If it isn't able to return the items, perhaps some currency could be offered instead, though Bethesda hasn't specified any options.
This is a bit old, I thought I posted it, but it may have been eaten when the forum went down a while back. I had talked about this "bug" which I don't even believe it is one. It's more likely they dummied out some commands (or just did the lazy thing and disabled console access) and players were able to bypass it by using a DLL to inject a few commands that amount to "removeallitems 14" because the player character, like all actors in the Creation engine are treated as containers. Of note: items accessible only via the Cash Shop store could also be stolen.

Some other dust ups include the private serves not being completely new instances, which Beth came out and called people liars for claiming this, but the game also has a hybrid open world concept since some things are tied to player timings/client, not the server timings. Also, the new scrap box offered by the premium sub was eating players scrap that was put into it. 10 to 1 the container wasn't flagged as "does not respawn."

Ride never ends.

I think I brought up before, but we bought Ark:Survival Evolved as Early Access and every single patch put you at risk to lose everything, as sometimes the Map Saves would be incompatible with the new version. The developers were very up front about this. But they aren't Bethesda who has enough fanboys to scam to ride out any negative press.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

I wasn't having fun, and I got rid of it months ago. It's a crying shame, I was so thrilled for the setting.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet