FALLOUT 76

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Civil War Man
NERRRRRDS!!!

Re: FALLOUT 76

Post by Civil War Man »

I'm not too surprised about the dev room in itself. Even WoW has the GM island, though Blizzard was smart enough not to populate it with anything that would entice anyone to try to get to it for anything other than the thrills. It's just one more issue to add to the pile for FO76. As I've heard pointed out, gamers have been spending close to a decade taking the Creation Engine apart and putting it back together, so of course they found a way to access the dev room.

I also don't know how they've been doing it without access to the console. I've heard it might have something to do with the Fast Travel system, but don't quote me on it. It's quite understandable that people are tight-lipped about it, since they don't want to get banned.

It's possible Bethesda doesn't know how people are doing it either. They can apparently detect when someone has accessed the room, since their character's state changes in a very specific way when they do, but their response has been to suspend the offending account and send the owner an email stating that the account will remain suspended until they disclose how they got in. Of course, what some exploiters are apparently doing is opening multiple accounts, sending one of the dummy accounts into the dev room, ransacking the place, then sending all the loot to the primary account before Bethesda catches them, since entering the room gets you banned, but receiving items taken from the room so far apparently doesn't. Rinse and repeat for the rest of the dummy accounts, sell the ill-gotten gains to other players for cash, then use the proceeds to open more dummy accounts.
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

There are all kinds of crazy teleport bugs, such as the Cover System teleport. What this video doesn't cover (No pun) is that if you switch cells, the engine doesn't know where to put you when you try and come out of cover again, so it will teleport you to the origin (0X,0Y) of the currently loaded cell.

The dummy account thing sounds brilliant because I don't think papyrus has any way to track the "movement" of items to and from actors (though Script Extenders add this functionality) in that specific way. And even then, you'd have to find a way to flag the items in just that one room, rather than the base items as that would effect every item in the game.

It's just comical as Bethesda in 2019 has to figure out the pains of dealing with MP, especially when it's not just a coop thing and you have a persistent MP server-farm, with a hideously broken and duct-taped SP engine.
Civil War Man
NERRRRRDS!!!

Post by Civil War Man »

The Ride Never Ends

New Fallout 76 patch results in the resurrection of several old bugs
The latest patch for Fallout 76 has come a cropper, sadly, because as well as applying various bug fixes, it also resurrects some bugs that had previously been stamped out by Bethesda.

Players have taken to Reddit on numerous threads to complain about returning gremlins in the works. These include 'classics' like the bobby pin bug, where an item’s weight is far too heavy, thereby leading to some folks finding themselves encumbered (effectively slowing down the player's speed).

Also, the fusion core spawn rate at workshops is way too slow – at a tenth of the speed it should be, in fact – alongside other bugs reportedly popping up, including, worst of all, item duping.

Some denizens of Reddit have accused the developers of experiencing some kind of version control disaster, basing the current patch on older code somehow, which is why numerous bugs have crept back in. We’ll have to wait for the official word from Bethesda on exactly what went wrong, though.

So far, the feedback from Bethesda has consisted of a community manager chiming in on a Reddit thread (spotted by PC Gamer) to say that the devs have been alerted, and are looking into these issues.

Weighty matters

On the PC, the patch in question was 500MB in size, and made a number of adjustments, with various nerfs and game balancing changes, and a cap on the maximum carry weight.

Fallout 76 got off to a very rocky start after launch, and things haven’t run much more smoothly since, so Bethesda can really do without incidents like this. Much of the previous criticism of the game has revolved around the sheer amount of bugs present, and the accusation that the MMO is easy to hack on the PC (which Bethesda firmly denied).

Most recently, Bethesda has had to deny rumors that the game was going free-to-play, and was caught out when players discovered a secret ‘developer room’ from which they stole as yet unreleased items.
Besides the bugs listed in the quoted article, I've also heard that it even actually undid the ultra-widescreen support that Bethesda patched in (which was actually just the INI file tweak that people have mentioned in this thread).
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

German Stores Are Giving Fallout 76 Away In Very Sad Promos
GameStop are running a promotion in Germany, Austria and Switzerland where anyone buying a used PlayStation 4 or Xbox One controller gets a free copy of the online shooter.

It’s not even a used copy. It’s a brand new copy of the game on PlayStation 4 or Xbox One, and all you need to do is buy a used, official controller from either system.

Fallout 76 was originally retailing for €70 (it’s now been slashed to €30), while a new DualShock 4 is €53, so used ones are obviously cheaper.

GameStop aren’t the only German retailer having trouble moving the game, either; the big electronics chain Saturn are also giving copies of the game away with the Fallout 76 Xbox One bundle. Meaning you’d get an Xbox One, a copy of Fallout 76 and then ... another copy of Fallout 76.

I’ve linked the retailer’s bundle offer above there, but it’s funnier if you can see it:
Has anyone ever seen video game stores this desperate to get rid of a title ?
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

A few weeks ago a game shop was selling new copies for $40 Australian. Last year's Madden game was the same cost, used.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Gunhead
Jedi Council Member

Post by Gunhead »

It's really amazing, they've managed to make a "Fallout" game that I won't be getting at any price. Local gaming magazine reviewed Fallout 76 in the latest magazine and it scored a solid... 50 out of 100, they were not kind to this piece of crap. To give perspective, previous Fallout titles have been in the solid 75-90 point area. Score of 50 basically means it's a game as so far as it will run, you can play it but there's just no reason why you would want to.
It's really a shame though, this will mean we probably won't be seeing a new Fallout game come out anytime soon and it's sad this type of steaming pile of shit will end a game series that has been one of my favorites and overall been well regarded game series.

-Gunhead
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."
-Generalfeldmarschall Erwin Rommel

"And if you don't wanna feel like a putz
Collect the clues and connect the dots
You'll see the pattern that is bursting your bubble, and it's Bad" -The Hives
Oscar Wilde
Padawan Learner

Post by Oscar Wilde »

Gunhead wrote: 2019-02-05 10:25am It's really a shame though, this will mean we probably won't be seeing a new Fallout game come out anytime soon and it's sad this type of steaming pile of shit will end a game series that has been one of my favorites and overall been well regarded game series.

-Gunhead
I'm not sure Bethesda will end up going quite THAT far since they still have their fair share of people who like what Fallout 76 did and well, a lot of Fallout fans aren't going to go anywhere despite the fact that another Obsidian Fallout definitely won't happen again. And even some of the people who are going to be all over The Outer Worlds when it comes out will still buy Fallout 5, whether on its own merits or as a mod platform.
I hold some vague hope Bethesda might get a clue when they make another title and I've been vaguely tempted by 76 mostly on the basis of 'well I have friends that play it'
It's funny how every Cracked reader seems to change occupation in between reading each article, so that they always end up being irrefutable field experts in whatever topic is at hand.-Dirty_Bastard, cracked.com commentator
Marko Dash
Jedi Knight

Post by Marko Dash »

that and fallout 76 isn't really made by the main studio, that studio is busy with starfeild.
If a black-hawk flies over a light show and is not harmed, does that make it immune to lasers?
GrosseAdmiralFox
Padawan Learner

Post by GrosseAdmiralFox »

Marko Dash wrote: 2019-02-07 06:52pm that and fallout 76 isn't really made by the main studio, that studio is busy with starfeild.
So, you are telling me that this is essentially Mass Effect Andromeda all over again? :banghead:
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

So I fully plan to pickup Fallout 76 as do my friends...

Once private servers are a thing, until such time we have no interest and what does that the roadmap they released the other day lack?

Any mention of private servers, which means no interest from us.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

Mr Bean wrote: 2019-02-23 07:11am So I fully plan to pickup Fallout 76 as do my friends...

Once private servers are a thing, until such time we have no interest and what does that the roadmap they released the other day lack?

Pre-launch, Beth said private servers were 2-3 years out and you would have to rent them through Beth, so no dedicated server release.
Post-launch has been such a huge shitshow, no one is even bothering to talk about private servers. Your (well, at least this is my plan) best bet is to wait and see if the shitheap goes F2P or drops to $5 (or whatever your magic # is) on a sale and just take the hit to experience the bad.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

TheFeniX wrote: 2019-03-11 01:59pm
Mr Bean wrote: 2019-02-23 07:11am So I fully plan to pickup Fallout 76 as do my friends...

Pre-launch, Beth said private servers were 2-3 years out and you would have to rent them through Beth, so no dedicated server release.
Post-launch has been such a huge shitshow, no one is even bothering to talk about private servers. Your (well, at least this is my plan) best bet is to wait and see if the shitheap goes F2P or drops to $5 (or whatever your magic # is) on a sale and just take the hit to experience the bad.
It's a Bethesda game there's a non-zero percentage chance that modders will figure out the server code and mod the engine to point to a fake Bethesda server or some other sort of modification heck Skyrim has a very wonky but working co-op mod built as a passion project. I have no question someone is working it, likely several someones. The only question is how soon till their done and how long they can keep quiet to avoid a cease and desist.

Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

Mr Bean wrote: 2019-03-11 02:05pmIt's a Bethesda game there's a non-zero percentage chance that modders will figure out the server code and mod the engine to point to a fake Bethesda server or some other sort of modification heck Skyrim has a very wonky but working co-op mod built as a passion project. I have no question someone is working it, likely several someones. The only question is how soon till their done and how long they can keep quiet to avoid a cease and desist.
I'll be upfront and say: I haven't kept up much with the F76 garbage lately.

Beth has already gone after modders of the game, supposedly banning more than a few. The Nexus has pretty much nothing but a few UI improvements. They want full control over the content under the guise of "gameplay balance." Even more recently, Beth has stated they want you always online using their hardware so they can "offer players the best experience possible." I mean, we all know it's bullshit, and the real word is "this is our game, you just live here."

Any project to take that control away from them is going to require more than just one or two people hacking away to get it up and running and Beth will most certainly make sure those people don't get their work off the ground. Skyrim Together has been in development for... more than a few years and they're just now in closed beta. In their defense, they originally tried to use Steam APIs and got shut down by Beth, so they had to rework the backend.

So, yea: someone is maybe working on this. By why should you care? There's better games already out in this genre. If it's the Fallout aesthetic you like: rusted shit weapons, rusted shit buildings, and just... rusted shit, you could learn modding yourself and just rip all the F4 assets to whatever other game you wanted.
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

The BR mode has been pretty fun.

For someone that basically only solos, and thus stopped playing a few months back because he can't get to the point of launching a nuke, this is nice.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Marko Dash
Jedi Knight

Post by Marko Dash »

supposedly the updates over the past few months have improved playability, any of that true?
If a black-hawk flies over a light show and is not harmed, does that make it immune to lasers?
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

I've been having fun, if that's what you're asking. I need battle buddies to do some quests tho
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

IGN Link
Fallout 76
has revealed a new subscription service, Fallout 1st, which allows players to play alone in private worlds, among other things.

Launching today, and priced at $12.99 a month, or $99.99 a year (that's £11.99 / £99.99 in the UK, Australian prices not available at time of writing), Bethesda explains that a Fallout 1st membership gets you:

Private worlds for yourself and up to seven friends.
A Scrapbox with unlimited storage for crafting materials.
A Survival Tent that acts as a placeable fast travel point.
1,650 Atoms a month for the game's shop.
An exclusive Ranger Armor outfit.
Unique icons and emotes.

Only the owner of a private world has to be a Fallout 1st member - the seven other friends can be regular players (although the world will only stay active if at least one player is a 1st subscriber). Only existing characters can join a private world.

Private worlds will have the same ruleset as the public Adventure Mode, and it can't currently be changed. However, Bethesda promises that private worlds will get more features in future, including the possibility of mod support.

It's sure to be a divisive move - Bethesda admits in its own announcement post that some of these features - private worlds, solo play and mods in particular - have been requested since before the launch of the game. To release them under the proviso of a recurring payment will likely cause controversy.
I just..... I mean "hey guyz, no worries PRIVATE servers and MODs WILL COME at some point! We just haven't figured out HOW exactly we're going to gouge the fuck out of you yet in our hastily ported Fallout4 MP mod that we had you chuckle-fucks beta test for us."

Can't even wait for the game to bottom out in price to play co-op F4. Gotta cough up $13 a fuckin' MONTH. Damn, I could be mad at Beth, but they are enabled by people dropping $60 on this type of shit.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

The ONLY positive is that only one person needs to pony up 99$ everyone else can buy Fallout 76 for the standard retail price of... 59.99 it's still not reduced? Damn Bethesda, okay checking Amazon... yep new 17$ used for 4$ for a console copy.

I would finally be interested in playing the Beta except I'd need friends willing to take the plunge and reliable schedules.

TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

$100 to lose your shit and only be able to play alone if you have no friends.
The gaming industry is still trying to wrap its collective head around the sheer hilarious audacity of Bethesda charging $12.99 a month or $99.99 a year for a premium Fallout 76 subscription service, Fallout 1st. Fallout 76 was a notoriously broken game at launch, but over time, fixed itself and added content until it created a nice little niche community. A nice little niche community that Bethesda would now like more money from.

I knew that at least some segment of the population, however small, would indeed sign up for Fallout 1st, as again, some people are really into 76 now, but many of them are already regretting doing so.

There have been some…issues with the promised exclusive content in this premium subscription, namely the introduction of private servers, and an unlimited scrap box to hold all your junk. Here’s a growing list.

There are a few issues cropping up here. Fallout 1st players are finding that a “newly created” world they might be heading into is not actually new at all. Players are reporting dead NPCs and looted areas when they get there, implying that these are not actually new instances, but instead re-used old instances masquerading as brand new private worlds.

The “private” aspect is up for debate too. Players with big friends lists, ie. merchants who sell players goods in the game, are finding that they can’t prevent people from joining their private servers where they just want to relax and play by themselves or with a few friends. Without some sort of “invisible” mode, other players can see your instance and join it.

If you were looking forward to the unlimited storage of scrap in Fallout 76 with the new Scrap Box perk of Fallout 1st, you definitely don’t want to be using it just yet.

Multiple players are reporting that they have deposited hundreds of units of scrap in these new boxes, only to find that the box has eaten it. The scrap disappears from the instance, and can’t be found again from re-logging or anything. It’s just gone. Players are not amused at the fact that they have now paid for the privilege of losing all of their materials, and so far, there does not seem to be any way to recover any of this. So do not use these boxes until there’s a clear fix for this. Not that more than like, two of you reading this are going to subscribe to Fallout 1st, but still.

Given that this is both Bethesda and Fallout 76, it’s no real surprise that these things are not working as intended. And yet when you are rolling out a ludicrously priced premium service, you better make it work as intended and not do active harm to the players you’ve managed to convince to buy it. Good lord, what next?
Why... just fuckin' WHY would anyone but...maybe a streamer with fans to "wow" with "here's new shitty thing"..... WHY would you EVER continue to beta test their shit? I mean, I might, because I couldn't care less about losing scrap because the entire concept is dumb, but I know people so into this losing their <bullshit materials> due to bugs or griefing causes them actual emotional harm.

Why would you subject yourselves to this? Do you intentionally slam your genitals into doorjambs? If you honestly thought at this point "NEW BOX OF GOODS" would work correctly just..... whatever. This is the future you chose.
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

I stumbled upon this Bug Tracker (Reddit Link) and whoa boy..... many laughs.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

That's almost as embarrassing as having to recall a Fallout 76 helmet due to mold.
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

Imperial528 found https://falloutfirst.com/ . Someone realized a likely domainname (it's claimed to be THE domain for it, but I don't know if that's true) for the bullshit wasn't registered, so he registered it.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Is there any part of Fallout 76 that hasn't been fucked up ?
Imperial528
Jedi Council Member

Post by Imperial528 »

The teaser stream worked pretty well for building hype in spite of the fact that there's no real reason to be hyped for a Beth product, especially given how mediocre Fallout 4 was. Other than that, basically everything for F76 has been fucked up from inception.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Imperial528 wrote: 2019-10-25 02:33pm The teaser stream worked pretty well for building hype in spite of the fact that there's no real reason to be hyped for a Beth product, especially given how mediocre Fallout 4 was. Other than that, basically everything for F76 has been fucked up from inception.
Eh, I'll argue the side stories and log stories were well written and featured some interesting characters I'd have love to interact with.

Shame they were all dead but you know... props for almost trying.
Also I did love some of the environments I saw in the public beta.

But yeah everything else from enemies to glitches to the servers, to the dumb launcher to the Lack of mod support that killed it.