Sony Playstation 4 Event in NY

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

tezunegari
Jedi Knight

Sony Playstation 4 Event in NY

Post by tezunegari »

I am currently watching the live stream and Square-Enix just got the stage.

Apparently the PS4 will be powerful enough for their Luminous Engine... if that's true: :mrgreen:

Also, their will be a new Final Fantasy title revealed at the next E3.

The console is heavily geared towards social network functionality.

The gaikai streaming technology seems to be used for backwards compatibility with older Playstation 1 / 2 / 3 games and for direct access to demos.

Right now there is a live demo of Watch Dogs and the details are quite nice ( for a 480 stream at least.)
Coats have physics effects when you run and jump.
"Bring your thousands, I have my axe."
"Bring your cannons, I have my armor."
"Bring your mighty... I am my own champion."
Cue Unit-01 ramming half the Lance of Longinus down Adam's head and a bemused Gendo, "Wrong end, son."
Ikari Gendo, NGE Fanfiction "Standing Tall"
tezunegari
Jedi Knight

Re: Sony Playstation 4 Event in NY

Post by tezunegari »

Blizzard just announced Diablo 3 for both the PS3 as well as the PS4.

Optimized for Controller, a four-player Coop mode.
"Bring your thousands, I have my axe."
"Bring your cannons, I have my armor."
"Bring your mighty... I am my own champion."
Cue Unit-01 ramming half the Lance of Longinus down Adam's head and a bemused Gendo, "Wrong end, son."
Ikari Gendo, NGE Fanfiction "Standing Tall"
CaptHawkeye
Sith Devotee

Post by CaptHawkeye »

I've seen some trailers so far, yawn. New technology won't solve the AAA industry's chronic fear of branching out into new software ideas and original mechanics in games. I was chuckling at the use of cone-fire in the Killzone trailer. 20 years later we're still using shit they had in Counter Strike?

The future of consoles will more likely be based around software compatibility and networking. Not pointlessly pushing hardware envelopes to state of the art for the sake of being state of the art.
Best care anywhere.
Darksider
Sith Acolyte

Post by Darksider »

I started watching late. Did they mention anything about blocking used games or how much the games are going to cost?

Also, Destiny is apparently an MMO. Bungie is doing an MMO. That should be...... entertaining.
And this is why you don't watch anything produced by Ronald D. Moore after he had his brain surgically removed and replaced with a bag of elephant semen.-Gramzamber, on why Caprica sucks
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Darksider wrote:I started watching late. Did they mention anything about blocking used games or how much the games are going to cost?

Also, Destiny is apparently an MMO. Bungie is doing an MMO. That should be...... entertaining.
Are you expecting actual information from a marketing event?
Darksider
Sith Acolyte

Post by Darksider »

Point taken.
And this is why you don't watch anything produced by Ronald D. Moore after he had his brain surgically removed and replaced with a bag of elephant semen.-Gramzamber, on why Caprica sucks
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Post by Admiral Valdemar »

Darksider wrote:I started watching late. Did they mention anything about blocking used games or how much the games are going to cost?

They did not mention those things. It was instead focus sharing games (uh, yay?) and then various studios showing either generic shiny future shooter iteration 462 or some genuinely interesting stuff, as with Media Molecule's sculpting thing.

The new controller at least isn't a complete redesign, so that's one thing.

And we still didn't get a price or glimpse of the actual thing. Just some nebulous specs (GDDR5 RAM will cost) and tech demos and a lot about the new PSN.
Darksider
Sith Acolyte

Post by Darksider »

The used game thing is my main concern for the next-gen consoles thing though. With my new car payments, if they don't allow used games, i'm essentially going to be priced out of the next round of consoles, so you can see why i'm eager to find out what their plans are.
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Post by Admiral Valdemar »

I still don't think Sony are that stupid as to kill such a market off. Wait. Forget I said that.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

I think the future of the PS4 has more to do with how much Microsoft fuck up than how much Sony get right.
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

I liked everything I heard so as an event it was a success. Now how well any of it is implimented and how much of it was flat out bullshit remains to be seen.

Plus the PS3 has poisoned the well for me so much...
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
Losonti Tokash
Sith Devotee

Post by Losonti Tokash »

Hey, Capcom used the publicity from Sony publicly embarrassing itself to announce a Dragon's Dogma spinoff. Sweet, look forward to playing it on my Xbox.
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

Man I tried home once back when I still had a PS3, and it was the worst shit ever. I mean it was just weird and bad.
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!

Post by Flagg »

Losonti Tokash wrote:Hey, Capcom used the publicity from Sony publicly embarrassing itself to announce a Dragon's Dogma spinoff. Sweet, look forward to playing it on my Xbox.
Yeah and there's the kicker. I was buying shit for Xbox instead of PS3 and I refuse to own a console for 2 exclusives a year.
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
Darksider
Sith Acolyte

Post by Darksider »

To be honest, my PS3 was a total waste of money, and the only reason I haven't traded it in is because I have some kind of hoarding disorder. The only games I ever regularly played on it were the Killzone and Resistance series, and the latter of those honestly shouldn't have been a franchise at all.

I'm trying to recall memorable gaming moments I had while using my PS3 and nothing's coming to mind. The only thing i've used less is the Wii. The only Sony exclusive franchise I might be interested in following is Killzone, and that isn't enough to justify a console purchase.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Lots of the failures (no party chat, poor infrastructure because beginning as free etc) probably won't be repeated with PS4. However, the things they say still suggest they're trying agani to have all the 'next killer features' instead of making a good console with good games (or media services). Remember all the CELL PROCESSOR A SUPERCOMPUTER shit?
TronPaul
Padawan Learner

Post by TronPaul »

I loved the CPU/GPU on same die. Laughed my ass off on that one. Also loved the Move BS they touted out. Some of it was very doable and cool, but a lot of it was laughably fake. Talking about an open console made me wonder if they're actually going to make developer tools free.

All in all I enjoyed watching the BS for a good laugh. The only thing I found really interesting was seeing more of Watch Dogs. Hopefully it comes out for PC at a reasonable date without horrible porting issues.
If it waddles like a duck and it quacks like a duck, it's a KV-5.
Vote Electron Standard, vote Tron Paul 2012
Darksider
Sith Acolyte

Post by Darksider »

So I've been looking over the list of titles they revealed tonight, and there's honestly nothing that jumps out at me as a "must have" title.

I know console libraries are usually pretty barren at launch but there is literally nothing that I'd be interested in playing except maybe the new Killzone game. If they don't introduce some better titles at E3 it'll probably be a year or more before I even consider buying a PS4
Darksider
Sith Acolyte

Post by Darksider »

Really Sony? The best excuse you have for not showing the console is that people would get bored?

Why do I get the feeling that the PS4 is some kind of ugly, ungainly monstrosity?
DaveJB
Jedi Council Member

Post by DaveJB »

The rumours that the PS4 would permanently require an internet connection and block used games have officially been confirmed to be untrue by Sony.

If Diablo 3 taught us anything, it's that not everyone loves the idea of games that demand an internet connection.

In fact, it was hard to find anyone who loved games that demand an internet connection, which was sort of the problem: if you can't outweigh the pain of potential inconvenience to whatever proportion of your audience, then you simply aren't going to win that battle. Click click click loot loot loot.

Good news, then, because Sony Computer Entertainment seems to have reached the same conclusion at a system level for PlayStation 4, and as the result the new console will do pretty much whatever you customise it to do when it comes to the internet.

Sony's super-slick PS4 conference talked about a lot of functionality that will clearly benefit from an internet connection more than ever before - a processing module that handles downloads in the console's suspend state, for one thing - but when I talked to Sony Worldwide Studios boss Shuhei Yoshida after the PS4 conference he was adamant it was all customisable.

Does the PlayStation 4 always need to be connected to the internet, I asked?

"You can play offline, but you may want to keep it connected," he suggested. "The system has the low-power mode - I don't know the official term - that the main system is shut down but the subsystem is awake. Downloading or updating or you can wake it up using either the tablet, smartphone or PS Vita."

Are all of those things optional, though? For people who have broadband data limits, for example? They can customise everything?

"Oh yes, yes, you can go offline totally. Social is big for us, but we understand there are some people who are anti-social! So if you don't want to connect to anyone else, you can do that."

Sony clearly isn't afraid of technical nuance. This is a company that announced its next-generation console by declaring it has an x86 architecture, advanced PC GPU, 8GB of GDDR5 memory and a massive hard disk. You may like some of its networking ideas. You may not like some of them. I got the impression speaking to Yoshida that Sony has other priorities.

Speaking from experience, it's always been good at allowing people to change what they want up to a logical point - far beyond any of its competitors - and I see no reason to suspect any change this generation.

Sony Worldwide Studios boss Shuhei Yoshida has told Eurogamer that PlayStation 4 will not block the use of second-hand games, contrary to various reports, speculation and even a Sony patent unearthed last month.

I sat down with Yoshida a few hours after the PS4 reveal tonight and one of the first things I asked was whether used games would be blocked.

"Do you want us to do that?" he asked.

No, I said. I think, if you buy something on a disc, that you have a kind of moral contract with the person you've bought it from that you retain some of that value and you can pass it on.

Do you agree, I asked?

"Yes. That's the general expectation by consumers," said Yoshida. "They purchase physical form, they want to use it everywhere, right? So that's my expectation."

So if someone buys a PlayStation 4 game, I asked, you're not going to stop them reselling it?

"Aaaah," was Yoshida's initial answer, but seemingly only because he'd forgotten his line. "So what was our official answer to our internal question?" he asked his Japanese PR advisor. The advisor stepped in but didn't seem to answer clearly, at least to my ears. Yoshida then took control again firmly:

"So, used games can play on PS4. How is that?"

I said I thought that was fine.

Interestingly, I also spoke to a Sony source elsewhere at the event this evening who told me that the anti used-game patent discovered last month was actually nothing to do with PlayStation 4 at all.

The patent suggested that discs would come branded with a contactless tag that could be recognised and read by your console, which would then bind it to you and prevent you from selling it on.

But whatever reason Sony did have for patenting it, it sounds like it wasn't for its next-generation console. Hopefully Microsoft will also avoid this ludicrous technology with its next-generation Xbox as well.
Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

The spec is equivalent to a mediocre gaming PC, it should be adequate for gaming at 1080p. There will be brief parity in the sense that games developed for that spec would max out a current high-end card gaming on a proper monitor (2560 x 1600). Support for 4K/quadHD and 3D/120fps will be as academic on this console generation as 1080p is on the 360/PS3. Using decently programmable shaders (GCN) is a massive step forward in allowing meaningful GPGPU as a standard part of game engines going forward, definitely needed given the limited improvement in total CPU power. 8GB is better than expected given the expensive RAM, I'm interested to know if pointer compression is part of the programming model.

The big question now (for people who care about hardware) is whether Microsoft actually have a cheap and nasty APU woefully behind the PS4 in performance (despite much longer dev times) or whether the rumours of their two-chip high performance solution are correct.
DaveJB
Jedi Council Member

Post by DaveJB »

Microsoft really have no reason not to go balls-to-the-wall in terms of specs, as they can more than soak up any loss they might make on the initial cost of the hardware. In fact, given that their financial situation hasn't been so hot lately, many people were expecting Sony to produce a console only moderately more powerful than the Wii U, which in theory would have left Microsoft in the same situation they were in with the first Xbox - namely having an uber-powerful system that most developers won't bother to fully exploit.

What really seems odd is that the CPU Sony have chosen is essentially an 8-core version of the chip AMD makes for tablets and netbooks, given that games generally seem to prefer CPUs with strong single-thread performance (hence why the Core i3 generally beats AMD's lineup in games, despite only having two actual cores compared to eight in Bulldozer/Pilerdriver). Though I suppose they could have one of the core clusters clocked really fast to handle the main game engine, and a bunch of slower ones to handle ancillary tasks.