Looking for a software for web based tabletop gaming.

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Raj Ahten
Jedi Council Member

Looking for a software for web based tabletop gaming.

Post by Raj Ahten »

Basically I'm running some D&D and what not via Skype and I'm looking for a way to put a battle map online in such a way that my players can see it. I was wondering if anyone on sd.net had any suggestions.
Dave
Jedi Knight

Re: Looking for a software for web based tabletop gaming.

Post by Dave »

I think Skype allows for webcam input. Get a cheap webcam and point it at the board?
Vyraeth
Padawan Learner

Post by Vyraeth »

Just use Open RPG. It makes tabletop gaming over the Internet very easy.

http://www.rpgobjects.com/index.php?c=orpg
United Sectors
Jawawithagun
Jedi Master

Post by Jawawithagun »

If you want to work directly in the web browser, have a look at Screen Monkey
"I said two shot to the head, not three." (Anonymous wiretap, Dallas, TX, 11/25/63)

Only one way to make a ferret let go of your nose - stick a fag up its arse!

there is no god - there is no devil - there is no heaven - there is no hell
live with it
- Lazarus Long
RecklessPrudence
Padawan Learner
Location: Largest Island, Sol III - invasion not recommended, terrain and wildlife extremely hostile.

Post by RecklessPrudence »

You might try VASSAL. It's got modules for damn near anything. It's mainly for miniature wargaming and boardgames over the net, but it has roleplaying modules as well. If the roleplaying modules follow the conventions set by the wargaming and board games modules, it'll even have dice rolling built in to the program, so that you don't have to worry about anyone fudging their rolls.
Yes, I know my username is an oxyMORON, thankyou for pointing that out, you're very clever.

MEMBER: Evil Autistic Conspiracy. Working everyday to get as many kids immunized as possible to grow our numbers.

'I don't believe in gunship diplomacy, but a couple of battleships in low orbit over my enemy's capital can't but help negotiations.'
Joviwan
Jedi Knight

Post by Joviwan »

RPtools.net, specifically Maptools. They have tutorial videos and the software can do darn near everything. Infinitely large map-space, paint tools for objects and shapes, customized character tokens that can hold an entire character sheet of information, dice macros for automating rolls. Also, free.
Drooling Iguana: No, John. You are the liberals.
Phantasee: So extortion is cooler and it promotes job creation!
Ford Prefect: Maybe there can be a twist ending where Vlad shows up for the one on one duel, only to discover that Sun Tzu ignored it and burnt all his crops.
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Maptool is also finicky as hell and can have issues with sharing the graphics amongst players.

It's really cool when it works, though.
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
Raj Ahten
Jedi Council Member

Post by Raj Ahten »

Thanks for the replies. I've learned of a few new tools I'll have to check out.
White Haven
Sith Acolyte

Post by White Haven »

My group used to use OpenRPG, but we had way too many weird issues with it Maptools has been much smoother for us.
Chronological Incontinence: Time warps around the poster. The thread topic winks out of existence and reappears in 1d10 posts.

Out of Context Theatre, this week starring Darth Nostril.
-'If you really want to fuck with these idiots tell them that there is a vaccine for chemtrails.'

Fiction!: The Final War (Bolo/Lovecraft) (Ch 7 9/15/11), Living (D&D, Complete)Image