Gmail question

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Sarevok
The Fearless One

Gmail question

Post by Sarevok »

Is there a way to automatically send incoming email to seperate folders ? I get a lot of email from various sites I signed up on. Sometimes they have important notices so I rather than block them. But at same time they clog up my inbox. Is there way such that messages from websites go to a folder and stay there instead ?
I have to tell you something everything I wrote above is a lie.
Vyraeth
Padawan Learner

Re: Gmail question

Post by Vyraeth »

Yes, when you log in to Gmail, you'll see the "Create a filter" button near the Search mail bar. Using the button will let you specify messages to either be directed to archive, spam, or to be filed under a label (or a combination thereof). A label in Gmail has the same functionality as a folder, so make a label with the desired name, and then set a filter where messages with a particular subject or from a certain domain are classified under that filter.

Hope that helps.
United Sectors
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Re: Gmail question

Post by TheFeniX »

From what I can find, GMail doesn't use folders. They use labels and filters. But the e-mail will still show up in your inbox if you just tag it.

Go to Account Settings > Gmail > settings
Filters > Create new filter
Insert whatever criteria such as @website.com into the from field.
Click the Box > Apply the label > Create a label
Enter the name.
Create the filter and apply it.

You could set the e-mails to be automatically archived (Skip the Inbox) instead of tagged. This would clean up your inbox, but still let you view the e-mails in All-Mail.