I am officially in sim-love

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Tolya
Jedi Council Member

I am officially in sim-love

Post by Tolya »

So, I got my new joystick. And I started looking for a decent flight sim to test it on. I ran through my collection of FSX (had tons of fun with some addons back in the day), re-ran HAWX (not a sim, but still a good game) etc.\

And then on the simhq's I found out that there is something like DCS: Black Shark. Seeing as it came from Eagle Dynamics' (who should still be rotting in hell for f**** up Lock On) I did not pay too much attention. After a while I started reading about it and I thought this is something for me - a sucker for cockpit button jumping.

I got the game and I must say, I have never been so much initially impressed by a sim, maybe apart from Falcon 4.0 Allied Force (which does not work properly on Win 7, a shame) or Orbiter. I can't say too much about the game itself yet as its been two days and Im still learning the preflight procedures - even starting an engine here is realistic and starts with getting electricity, firing up the APU. I actually spent an hour last evening viewing tutorials on youtube detailing every step of the cold start procedure.

However, the game looks excellent, the 3d cockpit is one of the best I have ever seen (both detailed and usable and functional, which is a rarity). On default settings 1280x1024 the game runs beautifully on my computer (at least without hundreds of units populating the map).

Right now Im inclined to say that this game is something like Falcon 2.0 meets Enemy Engaged: Commanche vs. Hokum. I haven't noticed any bugs, the world is well modelled and the level of complexity is just mindboggling.

Even if you eject and fall to the ground you can still walk around. The only other game that allowed something like this is OpFlash/ArmA series.

The LOD on the Ka-50 itself is just staggering, you rarely see such a beautifully made 3d model for a game. And the game

As far as I noticed, lack of dedicated training missions is a problem. I had to create a custom mission using the editor just to practice cold starting. Luckily the editor is pretty easy to use once you know the basics (its very similar to the editor in Flanker 2.0). If there are any bugs I haven't noticed them yet.