Weird Computer Performance/Jedi Outcast Problem

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

HemlockGrey
Fucking Awesome

Weird Computer Performance/Jedi Outcast Problem

Post by HemlockGrey »

Recently, while playing Jedi Outcast, occasionally, for no reason, the game will slow to a crawl. My computer is more than adequate to play, I have plenty of free space, all the visual settings are on low...but it still becomes unplayable. Then, I quit out of it, wait a while, and then restart it and it works fine.

WTF is going on?
The End of Suburbia
"If more cars are inevitable, must there not be roads for them to run on?"
-Robert Moses

"The Wire" is the best show in the history of television. Watch it today.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Re: Weird Computer Performance/Jedi Outcast Problem

Post by Mr Bean »

HemlockGrey wrote:Recently, while playing Jedi Outcast, occasionally, for no reason, the game will slow to a crawl. My computer is more than adequate to play, I have plenty of free space, all the visual settings are on low...but it still becomes unplayable. Then, I quit out of it, wait a while, and then restart it and it works fine.

WTF is going on?
Any particular levels in question?
Is your internet connection running?
Are you near/just got through a level transition?
Whats running in the background while you play?

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Captain tycho
Has Elected to Receive

Post by Captain tycho »

I bet it's something in the background, like a virus scanner or something similar starting up suddenly.
Captain Tycho!
The worst fucker ever!
The Best reciever ever!
Robert Walper
Dishonest Resident Borg Fan-Whore

Re: Weird Computer Performance/Jedi Outcast Problem

Post by Robert Walper »

HemlockGrey wrote:Recently, while playing Jedi Outcast, occasionally, for no reason, the game will slow to a crawl.
I suspect it's one of the NPC Sith Characters playing some Jedi mind trick on you. Use the Force, young Padawan. :P
HemlockGrey
Fucking Awesome

Post by HemlockGrey »

My internet connection is almost always running, but there's nothing downloading, no programs running in the background. Task manager says there's about 30 or so "processes" running, but I don't know what most of htem are so I'm afraid to close them.
The End of Suburbia
-Robert Moses

Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

HemlockGrey wrote:My internet connection is almost always running, but there's nothing downloading, no programs running in the background. Task manager says there's about 30 or so "processes" running, but I don't know what most of htem are so I'm afraid to close them.
Whatever your computer log in name is, look for it under the user-name section of the task manager, any tasks associated with your username can be safley shut down(Though it might be things like your firewall or virus scanners so close them one by one, observe what is which and repeat)

Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
HemlockGrey
Fucking Awesome

Post by HemlockGrey »

Did that. No dice. The game still slows to a crawl at completely random times. And if I close it down and start it right back up, it is still slow. I have to wait 5-10 minutes to start it up again.
The End of Suburbia
-Robert Moses

Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

HemlockGrey wrote:Did that. No dice. The game still slows to a crawl at completely random times. And if I close it down and start it right back up, it is still slow. I have to wait 5-10 minutes to start it up again.
Get your task manage up, Start the game in Windowed mode, watch your CPU utilzations and what-not, if you can duplicate the slowdowns identify the areas your slowing down in, hop back, save reload see if you can cause them agian and if they have anything in common(Type of enemey, some specifc static like a chair, tree, X-wing what-not)