Mercenaries 2:World in Flames

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Mercenaries 2:World in Flames

Post by Mr Bean »

Anyone else thinking of getting this game? From our fun friends at Pandemic Studios (Who brought us both Battlezone games as well as Mercenaries 1) comes a fun little game where everyone gets along and solves their problems through non-violent methods.
World Flames

Yeah...
From the videos in the above link you can tell what really happens, which is you have thousands of people trying to kill you, and you doing your level best to blow up everything and everyone.

Cause you gotta get payed...
So, who else is getting this game?(On all consoles and the PC)
I'm waiting till the first reviews hit.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

Seems fun. I will try to get it if I can. Don't really have high hopes for it thought.
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
Joviwan
Jedi Knight

Post by Joviwan »

I played the ever loving shit out of the first one, and loved every waking moment of it. World in Flames will be a proud member of my games collection, I feel. I just have to send it in to get repaired, now.
Drooling Iguana: No, John. You are the liberals.
Phantasee: So extortion is cooler and it promotes job creation!
Ford Prefect: Maybe there can be a twist ending where Vlad shows up for the one on one duel, only to discover that Sun Tzu ignored it and burnt all his crops.
Peptuck
Is Not A Moderator

Post by Peptuck »

Joviwan wrote:I played the ever loving shit out of the first one, and loved every waking moment of it. World in Flames will be a proud member of my games collection, I feel. I just have to send it in to get repaired, now.
What he said. I accumulated more than a billion dollars with one of my mercenaries in the original, so if WiF is half as good as its predecessor, its getting bought.
X-COM: Defending Earth by blasting the shit out of it.

Writers are people, and people are stupid. So, a large chunk of them have the IQ of beach pebbles. ~fgalkin

You're complaining that the story isn't the kind you like. That's like me bitching about the lack of ninjas in Robin Hood. ~CaptainChewbacca
Grandmaster Jogurt
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grandmaster Jogurt »

I've already picked up the game. This time around it's Mui who's the fast one, so I'm using her this time instead of Mattias. It's pretty good so far, and destroying the environment has been improved a lot. I can't say I'm a fan of having to play the same minigame every single time I want to hijack a tank, but that's not a dealbreaker.
Hotfoot

Post by Hotfoot »

Any word on the co-op? How is it, which versions have which options, and so forth?
Do not meddle in the affairs of insomniacs, for they are cranky and can do things to you while you sleep.
The Realm of Confusion
"Every time you talk about Teal'c, I keep imagining Thor's ass. Thank you very much for that, you fucking fucker." -Marcao
SG-14: Because in some cases, "Recon" means "Blow up a fucking planet or die trying."
SilCore Wiki! Come take a look!
Grandmaster Jogurt
Jedi Council Member

The 360 version has it, at least. I haven't tried it yet, though, since I'm not currently on Live.
Hotfoot

Post by Hotfoot »

Grandmaster Jogurt wrote:The 360 version has it, at least. I haven't tried it yet, though, since I'm not currently on Live.
does it have split-screen co-op?
Do not meddle in the affairs of insomniacs, for they are cranky and can do things to you while you sleep.
The Realm of Confusion
"Every time you talk about Teal'c, I keep imagining Thor's ass. Thank you very much for that, you fucking fucker." -Marcao
SG-14: Because in some cases, "Recon" means "Blow up a fucking planet or die trying."
Adrian Laguna
Sith Marauder

Post by Adrian Laguna »

Well, I'm certainly looking forward to blowing-up my home country in exquisite and exacting detail. I'm also hoping every major landmark of every major city and natural preserve is there, I'll be disappointed if something is missing.

'Tis a pity I cancelled all non-essential expenses though, so I'm going to have to wait.

BTW - Does anyone know what are the differences between the PS2 and PS3/X360 versions?

EDIT - Been looking at trailers, it appears the enemy Venezuelan soldiers don't speak Spanish, like how in Playground of Destruction the men of each nation spoke their native language. That's bullshit, man, total bullshit. :x
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Peptuck wrote:
Joviwan wrote:I played the ever loving shit out of the first one, and loved every waking moment of it. World in Flames will be a proud member of my games collection, I feel. I just have to send it in to get repaired, now.
What he said. I accumulated more than a billion dollars with one of my mercenaries in the original, so if WiF is half as good as its predecessor, its getting bought.
I shall third this. The first Mercenaries was a fun game. I loved levelling everything in a province, even the AN HQ (gotta love them fuel-air bombs :twisted: ).
Adrian Laguna wrote:EDIT - Been looking at trailers, it appears the enemy Venezuelan soldiers don't speak Spanish, like how in Playground of Destruction the men of each nation spoke their native language. That's bullshit, man, total bullshit. :x
Meh, if they say amusing or interesting things, I'd like to be able to know it without having to go and learn Spanish. It's not a huge deal to me.

Although in the first, hearing the "private" conversations of the SKs, Chinese and Mafia was really the main reason I played through with different Mercs - the stealth/strength/speed bonuses weren't something I really noticed much, at least not with my way of playing.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Grandmaster Jogurt wrote:I've already picked up the game. This time around it's Mui who's the fast one, so I'm using her this time instead of Mattias. It's pretty good so far, and destroying the environment has been improved a lot. I can't say I'm a fan of having to play the same minigame every single time I want to hijack a tank, but that's not a dealbreaker.
Does it fix the problems with the first game? I mean, do people now actually chase you, do bad guys actually react to you and hunt you down/secure areas, or is it like the first one where you can drive around largely unmolested go right past checkpoints uncaring because the Norks will give up the chase after a few hundred meters?

The first game was a good idea, but it was pathetically easy and utterly broken (Nork army = less dangerous than cops in GTA4 = game fails). If they can fix it and make it what it was supposed to be (ie, a sandbox explode-em-up) I'll definately look at it, but I have no interest in another zero-threat game.
Andrew_Fireborn
Jedi Knight

Post by Andrew_Fireborn »

The AI seems largely unchanged from the first.

The 'PMC' is largely a stall tactic, since you can't really do -anything- until you get the helo pilot, who you get after your first faction mission. After which you can pretty much get the rest of the crew. A good idea, since the third and final one (AFAIK) if the jet pilot which enables the majority of the airstrikes...

Fuel starts at 300, it's required for any support actions. Transportation to any faction HQ or fort costs 20 fuel, most supplies and vehicle deliveries start at 40, and Artillery (Cheapest strike option) starts at 120...

There're at least three upgrades per faction so far. Each provides 200 additional fuel, and unlocks after you finish capturing another fort for a base.

All in all, it's pretty much what I expected of the sequel. I am glad that helo's are much easier to come by, you'll unlock at least one by doing just the outpost missions for a faction, allowing you to buy them from them. (You have to recruit the mechanic before you can highjack choppers.)

Edit: I did forget to mention my one major grievance: You can't just buy strikes/supplies/etc on the fly anymore... You have to stock up.

Edit2: If you're heard the full version of the song they used in the commercial, it makes Mattias opening a little more funny.

Also, anyone know if the Huey Cobra (the attack copter in the commercial) is actually in the game? With no sign of the AN yet, I'm thinking the Longbow is likely out which means barring Hind-get, I'm gonna try to make it my main bird.

If not, I'll likely stick with the UP's attack choppers, since they're the same model the Russians used in the last game. (Meaning responsive as hell.)

Edit3: I suppose I should post the link to the 'making of'+full version of the song, you know for those in other countries or who just don't do TV. To the TUBE!
Rule one of Existance: Never, under any circumstances, underestimate stupidity. As it will still find ways to surprise you.
Grandmaster Jogurt
Jedi Council Member

Stark wrote:Does it fix the problems with the first game? I mean, do people now actually chase you, do bad guys actually react to you and hunt you down/secure areas, or is it like the first one where you can drive around largely unmolested go right past checkpoints uncaring because the Norks will give up the chase after a few hundred meters?
I think that, aside from a few stubborn soldiers, the enemies tend to lose interest quickly. I don't know how much of that is them being distracted by other targets (where I am now, the factions are all over the place), but I suspect it's going to be similar to the first one. They've added the ability of factions to take over buildings and have soldiers fire out of the windows and such, but that doesn't really mean much if you're not standing near the building itself.
Andrew_Fireborn wrote:I did forget to mention my one major grievance: You can't just buy strikes/supplies/etc on the fly anymore... You have to stock up.
It wouldn't be that bad if you could just buy everything from the HQ instead of having to go to the factions.
Pulp Hero
Jedi Master

Post by Pulp Hero »

Its fun, but I HATE how calling in air strikes is handled (menu you have to rotate through while standing completely still, no ability run and throw the marker grenade.)

It would have been better if the Arty/Air strikes could be dropped into the C4/grenade slots and the markers thrown on the fly.

Also: Chris Jacobs is voiced by Phil LaMarr, aka Green Lantern.
I can never love you because I'm just thirty squirrels in a mansuit."

"Ah, good ol' Popeye. Punching ghosts until they explode."[/b]-Internet Webguy

"It was cut because an Army Ordnance panel determined that a weapon that kills an enemy soldier 10 times before he hits the ground was a waste of resources, so they scaled it back to only kill him 3 times."-Anon, on the cancellation of the Army's multi-kill vehicle.
Pulp Hero
Jedi Master

Post by Pulp Hero »

Question: Can anyone steal the Hinds, high end Chinese helicopters, or high end tanks? I have tried consistently but always fail the button mashing.
I can never love you because I'm just thirty squirrels in a mansuit."

"Ah, good ol' Popeye. Punching ghosts until they explode."[/b]-Internet Webguy

"It was cut because an Army Ordnance panel determined that a weapon that kills an enemy soldier 10 times before he hits the ground was a waste of resources, so they scaled it back to only kill him 3 times."-Anon, on the cancellation of the Army's multi-kill vehicle.
Andrew_Fireborn
Jedi Knight

Pulp Hero wrote:Question: Can anyone steal the Hinds, high end Chinese helicopters, or high end tanks? I have tried consistently but always fail the button mashing.
Yeah, it's the hardest of the QTEs, but it's quite doable if you exploit it.

It's always the same pattern, so you mash the correct buttons until they show up then mash the next in order.

The Hind (Anaconda) and Cobra (Ambassador) share the same order which is. LStick <, Mash A, X, B. They've got an annoyingly short time on the X&B which makes it hard to do without the 'exploit.'

Same deal with the tanks, except I can't name the order of the top of my head.
Rule one of Existance: Never, under any circumstances, underestimate stupidity. As it will still find ways to surprise you.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Lol, so not only does it have QTE (stupidest shit ever), but it's even no-fail QTE, so it's laughably easy?

I want to play this game even more now. Easy AND broken controls? Awesome!
SylasGaunt
Sith Acolyte

Post by SylasGaunt »

Some of them are easy, some of them less so. The High-end chopper and tank ones give me trouble but then I've never been that great at button mashing. Mostly it's an issue for the big tanks, the Hind and Cobra aren't too bad once you've got the pattern.
Jordie
Padawan Learner

Post by Jordie »

So can we steal the Abrams for cruising around the map instead of just the last mission like the first game?
Andrew_Fireborn
Jedi Knight

Jordie wrote:So can we steal the Abrams for cruising around the map instead of just the last mission like the first game?
You can even buy them and have them delivered if you do the right mission chain for the AN.
(It's either destroy all designated buildings, or Capture/Confirm all HVTs. Pretty sure it was the buildings, since I save those incase I PO a faction doing HVTs for a different one, 3 buildings will usually get you back to Neutral no matter how back you hit them.)
Stark wrote:Lol, so not only does it have QTE (stupidest shit ever), but it's even no-fail QTE, so it's laughably easy?

I want to play this game even more now. Easy AND broken controls? Awesome!
Oh, it gets better. The last bit of the last mission is a QTE, and if you fail it you get sent back to before you drop the bomb. (Resetting the tank, infantry and two choppers outside the base...)
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Is the interface less clunky than the original? I really enjoyed playing it, but when I went back to it recently it just felt... eh...
SylasGaunt
Sith Acolyte

Post by SylasGaunt »

I love now having access to nukes.. first thing I did was hijack a helicopter, fly over to a building near UP HQ and nuke the hell out of that skyscraper.. in fact it's all part of my master plan to get every faction with all their outposts and then go around nuking them all..

Also does anyone else seem to have a permanent mushroom cloud/dead zone around the AN HQ once you beat the game?
Andrew_Fireborn
Jedi Knight

weemadando wrote:Is the interface less clunky than the original? I really enjoyed playing it, but when I went back to it recently it just felt... eh...
The interface is about the same. Other than the support menu no longer pausing the game for you to decide/cycle through your options, and no longer being able to "equip" the majority of airstrike call options... (You can still move with the laser, but smoke/beacons and satellite weapons are all called up as soon as you select them off the menu. Also, Satellite weapons cost money to use, and have a "Hit (A) X times in these narrow wedges or start over, and oh we're charging you by the second" minigame... And even with that, they still have a ridiculously short range.)
SylasGaunt wrote:Also does anyone else seem to have a permanent mushroom cloud/dead zone around the AN HQ once you beat the game?
It would seem that which ever faction you go with to get your nuke gets nuked by Solano.
Hotfoot

Post by Hotfoot »

Hotfoot wrote:Any word on the co-op? How is it, which versions have which options, and so forth?
Anyone? Come on, 360 version at least? Is there split-screen, y/n? All I want to know, I promise.
The Realm of Confusion
Andrew_Fireborn
Jedi Knight

Hotfoot wrote:
Hotfoot wrote:Any word on the co-op? How is it, which versions have which options, and so forth?
Anyone? Come on, 360 version at least? Is there split-screen, y/n? All I want to know, I promise.
No splitscreen, personally I blame Microsoft & EA. I'd imagine the PS3 is the same. (Since it's most likely a straight port, basically.)

So, online only. On the bright side, there's no exclusively online or off content. (Although this appearently makes the Level3 'training' challenges much easier.)

Sadly there's no New-Game+ like there was in Mercs1, once you beat the game, it's all over except the wasting of toys.