STGOD: A Dead Art?

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Thirdfain
The Player of Games
Location: Never underestimate the staggering drawing power of the Garden State.

STGOD: A Dead Art?

Post by Thirdfain »

Well, I suppose I'm doing this thing again... suggesting to this august community that we organize another STGOD. I miss the "Good Old Days" with a passion, and can't bear to see STGODing on SDnet lasting for a shorter time than my own college education :)

I think we ought to pull together and give it another go. I'm not sure how to best structure (or, ahem, not structure) the thing so that it works better than the last couple of iterations. More than anything, this post is aimed at bringing the old community out of the woodwork and get us all talking about the possibility of a new one. Thoughts, folks? I think it would be a good idea to start something that's very freeform, like the original, and just get a game moving.

Thoughts? Comments? Interest? Confusion/questions? This fine BBS has gone too long without the specter of interstellar warfare and politics, and I for one would like to see that situation rectified.

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite.
John Kenneth Galbraith (1908 - )
Anarchist Bunny
Foul, Cruel, and Bad-Tempered Rodent

Post by Anarchist Bunny »

I reworked the character system for STGOD3 superhero one about a year ago, but never got it off the ground because Straha dropped out and I lost interest. Still have the revised system laying arround though, and what will the recent comic interest (FF4-2, SM3, GR, 300, Civil War and WWH) it might be a good time to bring it back.
//This Line Blank as of 7/15/07\\
Ornithology Subdirector: SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences
Wiilite
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

<_<

>_>

And STGOD Is???
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Nephtys
Sith Acolyte

Post by Nephtys »

Crossroads Inc. wrote:<_<

>_>

And STGOD Is???
Like a game of Master of Orion, only with make-believe. :P
Dahak
Emperor's Hand

Post by Dahak »

Well, I would be interested. As always :)
I'd like something in a sci-fi setting, they were much fun.
Great Dolphin Conspiracy - Chatter box
"Implications: we have been intercepted deliberately by a means unknown, for a purpose unknown, and transferred to a place unknown by a form of intelligence unknown. Apart from the unknown, everything is obvious." ZORAC
GALE Force Euro Wimp
Human dignity shall be inviolable. To respect and protect it shall be the duty of all state authority.
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Ah, you mean like that "Steam and Steel" game we deeply tried to get going but alkas never got off the ground?
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Dartzap
Sith Acolyte

Post by Dartzap »

Crossroads Inc. wrote:Ah, you mean like that "Steam and Steel" game we deeply tried to get going but alkas never got off the ground?
Similar, but a bit more bonkers. (Well, thats a TGOD) STGODS are more like the stream and steel one, but have slightly less rules, but are still zany enough to get you larfin' whilst not going OTT.
EBC: Northeners, Huh! What are they good for?! Absolutely nothing! :P

Cybertron, Justice league...MM, HAB SDN City Watch: Sergeant Detritus

Days Unstabbed, Unabused, Unassualted and Unwavedatwithabutchersknife: 0
Spyder
Sith Marauder

Post by Spyder »

A thought just popped into my head.

Kick it off with total freeform let a happy power medium and universe develop after a period of several months or so. Let the structure come together naturally.

If it gets out of control we can have some kind of universe wide 'event' scale things down, that is of course assuming we don't like it being out of control - otherwise keep it and just have fun with it.

Three simple rules:

Stay Close to the Power Median
(If everyone's using the space shuttle you can't have SSDs)

Equal Forces, Equal Strength
(forces of equal size should have roughly equal combat prowess, i.e no insane tech advantages)

Don't Get Mad, Get Even
(STGOD writing (TGOD writing in general really) lends itself much better to offense rather then defense. People are going to write about some very unlikely victories, just hit back, and if you get wiped out just invent another power on the fly and hit them with that)

Don't really have that much to lose, we won't need an OOB thread unless it becomes popular and we start needing refferences. Just kick it off and if it turns to shit then we can abandon it and go with something else while having no real loss of time investment.
:D
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Sounds interesting... I enjoyed "Steam and Steel" so much becuse I love Civilization games so much, basically carving out an empier... This sounds similar... but in SPPAAAAACE(echo effect)
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Dahak
Emperor's Hand

Post by Dahak »

Spyder wrote: Don't really have that much to lose, we won't need an OOB thread unless it becomes popular and we start needing refferences. Just kick it off and if it turns to shit then we can abandon it and go with something else while having no real loss of time investment.
A lot of people really get much out of writing their OOB, down to the last tiny laser cannon, so I think no OOB = no good. But that's just my 0.02€...
"Implications: we have been intercepted deliberately by a means unknown, for a purpose unknown, and transferred to a place unknown by a form of intelligence unknown. Apart from the unknown, everything is obvious." ZORAC
GALE Force Euro Wimp
Human dignity shall be inviolable. To respect and protect it shall be the duty of all state authority.
Darksider
Sith Acolyte

Post by Darksider »

Whatever you guys end up deciding to make, count me in.

I miss the STGOD It was one of the few plesant experiences I had in High School.
And this is why you don't watch anything produced by Ronald D. Moore after he had his brain surgically removed and replaced with a bag of elephant semen.-Gramzamber, on why Caprica sucks
White Haven
Sith Acolyte

Post by White Haven »

I'm in, as if you needed to ask. I was enjoying 2k5 until everyone dribbled off and stopped posting. One thing I'd suggest...guys, keep the alliances within reason? Cold wars aren't nearly as much fun unless you really get into espionage, and that's what the megalithic alliances of 2k5 caused.
Chronological Incontinence: Time warps around the poster. The thread topic winks out of existence and reappears in 1d10 posts.

Out of Context Theatre, this week starring Darth Nostril.
-'If you really want to fuck with these idiots tell them that there is a vaccine for chemtrails.'

Fiction!: The Final War (Bolo/Lovecraft) (Ch 7 9/15/11), Living (D&D, Complete)Image
Duckie
Sith Marauder

Post by Duckie »

I'd be available for an STGOD too.

I think what killed the most recent space-based one (not Steam and Steel) was the lack of real purpose. Previous STGODs were ponderously burdened with history but players had real purposes for playing, grudges to settle, etcetera.

What an STGOD really, really needs to succeed is a good kick in the pants to start to get people moving. Careful consideration of relative strengths that favours a conservative foreign policy of retaining defensive posture and so forth is bad for a game's health.

Also, the OoBs are way too much fun to leave out. I certainly had fun arming and generating the Holy And Righteous Navy of the Khar from its walls of tiny guns on the battlecruisers to the 300-meter long "PENIS TOO SMALL" guns mounted on the ships of the wall. ^.^
Noble Ire
The Arbiter

Post by Noble Ire »

I've always wanted to try a STGOD, but until now, I've never really had the opportunity. Despite the apparent lack of a learning curve involved, jumping in on games that had been going on for years seemed rather infeasible.
The Rift
Stanislav Petrov- The man who saved the world
Hugh Thompson Jr.- A True American Hero
"In the unlikely story that is America, there has never been anything false about hope." - President Barack Obama
"May fortune favor you, for your goals are the goals of the world." - Ancient Chall valediction
Beowulf
The Patrician

Post by Beowulf »

I would like to start up one again. I never did manage to flesh out my dragons... Large alliances are detrimental to the game though. (I know, I'm guilty of creating the damn things in the first place).
"preemptive killing of cops might not be such a bad idea from a personal saftey[sic] standpoint..." --Keevan Colton
"There's a word for bias you can't see: Yours." -- William Saletan
UCBooties
Jedi Master

Post by UCBooties »

I think the Pirate King Bootswellington may be raising his armada for this, but what is an OOB?
Post 666: Posted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 12:51 am
Post 777: Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 6:49 pm
Post 999: Posted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:19 am
Dahak
Emperor's Hand

Post by Dahak »

UCBooties wrote:I think the Pirate King Bootswellington may be raising his armada for this, but what is an OOB?
Order of Battle. The listing of your forces, often history and peculiarities of your race/nation.
GALE Force Euro Wimp
White Haven
Sith Acolyte

Post by White Haven »

Order of Battle. Basically the monolithic "Here's my nation, bitches" thread, for both fun of writing and background reference.
Chronological Incontinence: Time warps around the poster. The thread topic winks out of existence and reappears in 1d10 posts.

Out of Context Theatre, this week starring Darth Nostril.
-'If you really want to fuck with these idiots tell them that there is a vaccine for chemtrails.'

Fiction!: The Final War (Bolo/Lovecraft) (Ch 7 9/15/11), Living (D&D, Complete)Image
Beowulf
The Patrician

Post by Beowulf »

Normally the OOB lists only the public peculiarities of your nation. Ones that you don't want to reveal yet, don't have to go in there. OOBs can be highly detailed, listing everything from the the size of the ships, to exactly what armament is on a ship. It can look a lot like an entry from Jane's, actually, though most don't have the patience to add a drawing of the ship.
"preemptive killing of cops might not be such a bad idea from a personal saftey[sic] standpoint..." --Keevan Colton
"There's a word for bias you can't see: Yours." -- William Saletan
Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

I like the concept, some of the archive threads looked fun, I will contribute if the time is available.

I have an irrational temptation to make lots of 'elegant' Trek-like ships with really strong shields but ridiculously fragile once the shields go down. Probably for contrast with all the SW-inspired brick-like superdreadnaughts everyone else seems to like. Of course they would have to be crewed by an anthro-avian race. :)
InnocentBystander
The Russian Circus

Post by InnocentBystander »

Starglider wrote:I like the concept, some of the archive threads looked fun, I will contribute if the time is available.

I have an irrational temptation to make lots of 'elegant' Trek-like ships with really strong shields but ridiculously fragile once the shields go down. Probably for contrast with all the SW-inspired brick-like superdreadnaughts everyone else seems to like. Of course they would have to be crewed by an anthro-avian race. :)
One of the things an STGOD doesn't focus on so much is "how much shields" a ship has.

Oddly enough, despite the overwhelming desire by everyone to use a point based system (myself included), I think we should do away with it. STGOD 4 worked, and it worked well. I think at the end of the day the ponit system didn't really add anything to the games (short though they were).
Thirdfain
The Player of Games
Location: Never underestimate the staggering drawing power of the Garden State.

Post by Thirdfain »

Beowulf wrote:Normally the OOB lists only the public peculiarities of your nation. Ones that you don't want to reveal yet, don't have to go in there. OOBs can be highly detailed, listing everything from the the size of the ships, to exactly what armament is on a ship. It can look a lot like an entry from Jane's, actually, though most don't have the patience to add a drawing of the ship.
..... Though, of course, you can add a drawing of the ship if you'd like :)

Yes, those are smokestacks on those space ships.

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite.
John Kenneth Galbraith (1908 - )
Dahak
Emperor's Hand

Post by Dahak »

InnocentBystander wrote: One of the things an STGOD doesn't focus on so much is "how much shields" a ship has.

Oddly enough, despite the overwhelming desire by everyone to use a point based system (myself included), I think we should do away with it. STGOD 4 worked, and it worked well. I think at the end of the day the ponit system didn't really add anything to the games (short though they were).
Personally, I think we still need some point system, even if it's just very simple. To not have one would only invite people to announce that their ships, while being a small corvette, actually are more powerful than another one's battleship because it has <insert contrived technology>. Been there, done that, bought the T-shirt. Even with mods, this can end in pages upon pages of useless, annoying bickering.
GALE Force Euro Wimp
Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

InnocentBystander wrote:One of the things an STGOD doesn't focus on so much is "how much shields" a ship has.
Ah but it's for visual variety. For the 'armoured brick' ship designs, you've got beams and shells smashing into the armour, tearing out glowing gouges, sections being breached and depressuring, turrets getting mangled by lucky hits, eventually the frame buckling, sections flying off and the ship turning into a smashed up hulk (optionally blowing up for those with antimatter or similar power plants). Generally you have to flay the armour off and then strip the life out of the ship with a pounding rain of shells/bolts/beam (though some weapons may do 'batter with proximity explosions' or 'cut the heart out with a single super-beam' instead).

For a 'fields heavy' design you've got a rainbow spectrum of colours and glancing lightning as the shields reach capacity, flashes of local burnthrough caught by secondary shields, flares of radiation as the shields begin to break down, flashes on the hull as the superconducting layer tries to minimise the damage, then as everything overloads and lets go a tremendous shattering explosion of spars, modules and nacelles that turns into a cloud of expanding wreckage wreathed in lightning and plasma and convulsed by secondary explosions. Instead of 'wear the ship down' you've got 'pour energy into it until she canna handle any more' (though with some burn through and localised damage to keep the battle damage narrative somewhat interesting :) ).

Usually I prefer the former style in sci-fi, but as I say if everyone else is going for that I'd adopt the later for variety. Though everyone is likely to target my fragile-looking Trek-like ships :)
InnocentBystander
The Russian Circus

Post by InnocentBystander »

Dahak wrote:
InnocentBystander wrote: One of the things an STGOD doesn't focus on so much is "how much shields" a ship has.

Personally, I think we still need some point system, even if it's just very simple. To not have one would only invite people to announce that their ships, while being a small corvette, actually are more powerful than another one's battleship because it has <insert contrived technology>. Been there, done that, bought the T-shirt. Even with mods, this can end in pages upon pages of useless, annoying bickering.
I think STGOD 4's solution was pretty elegant. You started with something like 50 battleships, if you took more than that - you had weaker battleships. If you took fewer, they were stronger.