Your gaming names

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

phred
Jedi Knight

Your gaming names

Post by phred »

I've been playing WoW with some friends from another game we all used to play, and with all the alts I tend to get confused as to which person I'm talking to.

I also play with some RL friends who tend to reuse a name for a while until a new name catches their attention.

I tend to use some variation of Phred, and have been doing so since there have been games where you get to name your character, empire, team, whatever.

So which one are you?
"Siege warfare, French for spawn camp" WTYP podcast

It's so bad it wraps back around to awesome then back to bad again, then back to halfway between awesome and bad. Like if ed wood directed a godzilla movie - Duckie
Stormin
Jedi Knight

Re: Your gaming names

Post by Stormin »

I try to not reuse names, the only times I will recycle an old one will be if I am rolling on a new server/game and I need people to instantly recognize me.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Most of my gaming is done at LAN parties.

I use the following:

Cockknocker
The Jewish Guy (Sometimes changed to Muslim if necessary)
Winston Smith
Ringo Starr
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Pulp Hero
Jedi Master

Post by Pulp Hero »

Expendable EOD, because I had just finished reading "SCUD: The Expendable Assassin" when I got my XBox Live account and I thought the word "Expendable" sounded cool.

The EOD part shouldn't be too hard to figure out.
I can never love you because I'm just thirty squirrels in a mansuit."

"Ah, good ol' Popeye. Punching ghosts until they explode."[/b]-Internet Webguy

"It was cut because an Army Ordnance panel determined that a weapon that kills an enemy soldier 10 times before he hits the ground was a waste of resources, so they scaled it back to only kill him 3 times."-Anon, on the cancellation of the Army's multi-kill vehicle.
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

Enigma
edwardnigma
eddynigma
prolapsed anis
aynal leakage
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
White Haven
Sith Acolyte

Post by White Haven »

White Haven
Andrew Riviera *waves at Nepthys!*
Boneweaver
Dureck
Hezra
Lightwarden
Havenite

And assorted other names from time to time, but those are the ones that either recur or that I've just played that damned much.
Chronological Incontinence: Time warps around the poster. The thread topic winks out of existence and reappears in 1d10 posts.

Out of Context Theatre, this week starring Darth Nostril.
-'If you really want to fuck with these idiots tell them that there is a vaccine for chemtrails.'

Fiction!: The Final War (Bolo/Lovecraft) (Ch 7 9/15/11), Living (D&D, Complete)Image
Temjin
Jedi Council Member

Post by Temjin »

Lately, I've mainly gone by "Lodgik" or some variation thereof (Main variations: Lodjik, Lodgika). I use this in all games I play online.

In the past, I've mainly used Darfasti. I've mainly phased out this name, but I will tend to still use it once in a great long while.
"A mind is like a parachute. It only works when it is open."
-Sir James Dewar

Life should have a soundtrack.
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

Enigma wrote:Enigma
edwardnigma
eddynigma
prolapsed anis
aynal leakage
Edit: Crusty Bumcrunch
Blue Beans
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

I use one name and one name only. Makes it easy to identify me. I have no reason to hide behind multiple names on different games, or change my name once a week.
"If the facts are on your side, pound on the facts. If the law is on your side, pound on the law. If neither is on your side, pound on the table."

"The captain claimed our people violated a 4,000 year old treaty forbidding us to develop hyperspace technology. Extermination of our planet was the consequence. The subject did not survive interrogation."
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

Rainsford or Nymn usually.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
defanatic
Jedi Knight

Post by defanatic »

Comrade Da
comradeDa

Or some variant thereof.
>>Your head hurts.

>>Quaff painkillers

>>Your head no longer hurts.
Karza
Jedi Knight

Post by Karza »

Karza or Kras in non-MMO games. In MMORPGs my first characters got "serious" names, and then I just started giving them daft names in finnish, such as Pyhimys (Saint), Painajainen (Nightmare), Moukari (Sledgehammer), Kuvainraastaja (a fairly archaic word for iconoclast), Kuolema (Death). I don't play MMORPGs any more though.
"Death before dishonour" they say, but how much dishonour are we talking about exactly? I mean, I can handle a lot. I could fellate a smurf if the alternative was death.
- Dylan Moran
Joviwan
Jedi Knight

Post by Joviwan »

Joviwan or Vorpal_Fragbait when I'm online, typically speaking.

In single-player RPG's where I can name my character, I almost invariably name them Democracy.

As far as MMO's go, I'm one of those RP people, so it tends to change a lot.
Drooling Iguana: No, John. You are the liberals.
Phantasee: So extortion is cooler and it promotes job creation!
Ford Prefect: Maybe there can be a twist ending where Vlad shows up for the one on one duel, only to discover that Sun Tzu ignored it and burnt all his crops.
Lord Woodlouse
Mister Zaia

Post by Lord Woodlouse »

I try to be Captain Woodlouse in FPS games. In WoW I played as Barniferous (the name is something of an obscure in-joke among my friends).

Other than that, I tend to even go with Lord Woodlouse or my actual name (or sometimes, a fancified version of my actual name).
Check out TREKWARS (not involving furries!)

EVIL BRIT CONSPIRACY: Son of York; bringing glorious summer to the winter of your discontent.

KNIGHTS ASTRUM CLADES: I am a holy knight! Or something rhyming with knight, anyway...
Darkdrium
Padawan Learner

Post by Darkdrium »

I usually go by the name of Karanas. No reason to hide anything and I like the name.
Narkis
Padawan Learner

Post by Narkis »

Alyeska wrote:I use one name and one name only. Makes it easy to identify me. I have no reason to hide behind multiple names on different games, or change my name once a week.
This. I'm not the only Narkis in the internet, but Narkis is the only name I use. If it's already taken, I use Sikran or Narkis with something added to the end..
Lagmonster
Master Control Program
Master Control Program

Post by Lagmonster »

I've used Lag-monster since my MUD days, and I continue to use it for recognizability, but in all honesty a handle I had at 20 is not necessarily what I'd pick today.

Where I have no other choice due to name poaching, I'll use the name of a character I wrote up once, "Daeors". In fantasy RPG games, I'll often use another name I came up with, "Val Tannis".
Note: I'm semi-retired from the board, so if you need something, please be patient.
DarkSilver
Jedi Council Member

Post by DarkSilver »

Dark Steel, or Dark Silver, or some variation there of.

It's a hold over from my Table Top RP days, when I played Mage the Ascension. DS was my favorite character, and I use his name to identify myself online and in MMO's.

It's been that way for nearly ten years. Don't think it'll change anytime soon.
XBL: Darek Silver | Wii Friend: 5602 6414 0598 0225
LibriumArcana - Roleplaying, Fiction, Irreverence
Trekker (TOS, TNG/DS9-Era) | Warsie (semi-movie purist) | B5'er | TransFan
Cult of Vin Diesel: While it is well known that James Earl Jones performed the voice of Darth Vader, it is less appreciated that Vin Diesel performs the voice of James Earl Jones.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

for the names of my Online chars (well most WOW chars) that aren't variations of my real name, are Spiritborn, spiritsworn, shadowborn, shadowborn, Blightaxe, Deathshroud(used this twice though), Bloodleaf and Sunleaf.

yeah I'm rather uninventive when it comes to names.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Chardok
GET THE FUCK OFF MY OBSTACLE!

Post by Chardok »

Chardok
Snargib Tallyhawk
Sanini Alderbrooke
Zolpidem Tartarate

:D
White Haven
Sith Acolyte

Post by White Haven »

The name Tallyhawk puts me in mind of an avian version of Count von Count. One small rodent! Two small rodents, ah ah ah! *birdshriek*
Chronological Incontinence: Time warps around the poster. The thread topic winks out of existence and reappears in 1d10 posts.

Out of Context Theatre, this week starring Darth Nostril.
-'If you really want to fuck with these idiots tell them that there is a vaccine for chemtrails.'

Fiction!: The Final War (Bolo/Lovecraft) (Ch 7 9/15/11), Living (D&D, Complete)Image
Uraniun235
Emperor's Hand

Post by Uraniun235 »

Farmer Crack-Ass
[TEAM RUH-ROH-RAPESPAGHETTIOS]
"There is no "taboo" on using nuclear weapons." -Julhelm
What is Project Zohar?
"On a serious note (well not really) I did sometimes jump in and rate nBSG episodes a '5' before the episode even aired or I saw it." - RogueIce explaining that episode ratings on SDN tv show threads are bunk
The_Saint
Jedi Knight

Post by The_Saint »

The_Saint I've used for many years for just about anything (from reading Simon Templar novels at primary school)
INXS (my first screen name ever) and Xynophaede from my Quake II days
GreenHeart and SilverBaron got me through endless hours of combat flight-simulators during high school
Draeger was a name I came up with when I got dragged into a Traveller game, and it's been reused ever since for mmo's
Vorpal_Templar and Lethe are alternate names I've used when avoiding some people in TF2 and DoD
All people are equal but some people are more equal than others.
Vanas
Jedi Council Member

Post by Vanas »

On XBL, Steam and pretty much any other non MMO game I play, it's Vanas or Vanaseffs. Generally the second becauseI've seen the first taken on occasion.

MMOs, anything goes. I've filled up all my alt slots on City of Heroes and I forget how amny I've got on GW or WoW.
According to wikipedia, "the Mohorovičić discontinuity is the boundary between the Earth's crust and the mantle."
According to Starbound, it's a problem solvable with enough combat drugs to turn you into the Incredible Hulk.
Haruko
Jedi Master

Post by Haruko »

I use the user name "Medora" in all my games. Medora is a misspelling of an obtainable item from the SNES classic, The Legend of Zelda: A Link To The Past, called "The Book of Mudora." As for the reason for the misspelling: I like the name better that way. You can still find me with that user name on Tiberian Sun. If I ever play that game again. Ever since I discovered Supreme Commander even the online play lost appeal to me.

Another user name I used was "Onigumo." I got the name from Inuyasha, an animated series I never cared for, but from which a character of that name, a miserable wretch of a man, made a pact with a horde of demons that entailed granting them his body in exchange for their power, so that he could pursue a woman he lusted for. The character was no role model, but I liked the name.
If The Infinity Program were not a forum, it would be a pie-in-the-sky project.
Faith is both the prison and the open hand.”— Vienna Teng, "Augustine."