C&C: Red Alert 3 is coming.

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

C&C: Red Alert 3 is coming.

Post by Vympel »

Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
Dartzap
Sith Acolyte

Post by Dartzap »

Hells yes! :D They had better have Kirovs, dammit.
EBC: Northeners, Huh! What are they good for?! Absolutely nothing! :P

Cybertron, Justice league...MM, HAB SDN City Watch: Sergeant Detritus

Days Unstabbed, Unabused, Unassualted and Unwavedatwithabutchersknife: 0
Karza
Jedi Knight

Post by Karza »

Excellent, I've been waiting for this :D .

Now hopefully it's system requirements aren't much higher than C&C3, because otherwise I'm looking at a system upgrade. On the other hand, I think I'm looking at just that anyway, so whatever :P .
"Death before dishonour" they say, but how much dishonour are we talking about exactly? I mean, I can handle a lot. I could fellate a smurf if the alternative was death.
- Dylan Moran
defanatic
Jedi Knight

Post by defanatic »

Woo. I can't wait. I guess I shall have to though. C&CRA was my first obsession computer game.
>>Your head hurts.

>>Quaff painkillers

>>Your head no longer hurts.
TC Pilot
Jedi Council Member

Post by TC Pilot »

Here's to hoping it's more Red Alert than Red Alert 2.
"He may look like an idiot and talk like an idiot, but don't let that fool you. He really is an idiot."

"Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero."
Losonti Tokash
Sith Devotee

Post by Losonti Tokash »

You speak blasphemies.
TC Pilot
Jedi Council Member

Post by TC Pilot »

Red Alert is the greatest RTS ever made, Red Alert 2 is second to last best of the series in front of Generals.
"He may look like an idiot and talk like an idiot, but don't let that fool you. He really is an idiot."

Losonti Tokash
Sith Devotee

Post by Losonti Tokash »

What about Sole Survivor? :P
Darksider
Sith Acolyte

Post by Darksider »

Losonti Tokash wrote:What about Sole Survivor? :P
What about what now?

*Squad of westwood commandos dissapears Tokash*

Can't have anyone bringing up that POS now, can we?
And this is why you don't watch anything produced by Ronald D. Moore after he had his brain surgically removed and replaced with a bag of elephant semen.-Gramzamber, on why Caprica sucks
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Can’t say I’m enthusiastic at all after having seen C&C 3, I can only hope this games designers realize that while C&C games have always been cheesy you have to do it with the right style or else its just fucking stupid and too annoying to even play.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Darksider
Sith Acolyte

Post by Darksider »

Why don't you like C&C 3 skimmer?

I thought it captured the cheesy-ness of the originals, and modernized the graphics and gameplay fairly well.
And this is why you don't watch anything produced by Ronald D. Moore after he had his brain surgically removed and replaced with a bag of elephant semen.-Gramzamber, on why Caprica sucks
SirNitram
Rest in Peace, Black Mage

Post by SirNitram »

You're not really going to nuke Mother Russia, are you...?

Good times. Good times.
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Debator Classification: Trollhunter
PREDATOR490
Jedi Council Member

Post by PREDATOR490 »

I found Red Alert more fun than C&C Tiberium universe for the most part. Tesla Coils simply beat Obelisks and the various other technologies they brought in were more fun. I prefered C&C Retaliation the out of the series so if they go back to that point it should be quite good.
Going to Red Alert 2 and Yuri is less interesting for me because that change in style looked rather bad.

What I would really like is for them to bring out a C&C game like Supreme Commander with counterable superweapons while also including the General promotion system from Generals and Zero Hour.
Wonder if this will be an attempt to create a bridge between C&C Tiberium and the RA universe... I could definetly see that being popular with sides incorporating later Allied, Soviet technolgy into earlier forms of GDI and NOD systems.
TC Pilot
Jedi Council Member

Post by TC Pilot »

I never understood where this "Command and Conquer is cheesy/silly!!1!" notion came from. The first game alone has hundreds of thousands of people dying from Tiberium exposure, references to genetic experimentation, missions specificly tasking the player with murdering civilians, and a character shot through the head right in front of you.

Apparently, the designers got it in their heads that the sequel to a game wherein the first mission is about slaughtering helpless civilians (after gassing hundreds more) with a cutscene of airplanes strafing women and children is supposed to be some wacky, brightly colored, love-fest. "Ha ha! Stalin just strangled a general in front of me! That's so cheesy and goofy!" :roll:

Losonti Tokash
Sith Devotee

Post by Losonti Tokash »

I don't quite understand how you can take seriously a game with a structure called the Iron Curtain that makes your units invincible. Or the double-barreled tanks. Or the giant fucking ants that breathe fire.

To be sure, the first game was a bit more serious, but it was still ridiculous.
Darth Raptor
Red Mage

Post by Darth Raptor »

Is... Is that an amphibious battleship?
TC Pilot
Jedi Council Member

Post by TC Pilot »

Losonti Tokash wrote:To be sure, the first game was a bit more serious, but it was still ridiculous.
You misunderstand. A game can still be outlandish and take itself seriously. Red Alert took itself seriously. Red Alert 2 was essentially one big, lame joke: Jacuuzi Vladimir, President "Hootin' Nickel" Dugan, General "I Want Want My Office Back" Carvill. They managed to take every ridiculous Cold War Russian stereotype and made Boris and Natasha look realistic.

Losonti Tokash
Sith Devotee

Post by Losonti Tokash »

To my knowledge, Carville was actually introduced in Retaliation, not RA2.
Block
Jedi Council Member

Post by Block »

Darth Raptor wrote:Is... Is that an amphibious battleship?
I do believe it is, and I am quite happy.
R.O.A
Padawan Learner

Post by R.O.A »

Ok, so in RA1 the Soviets invade Europe.
In RA2 the Soviets invade the USA at first and then attack other places

So where is the opening invasion in RA3 going to take place?
Dartzap
Sith Acolyte

Post by Dartzap »

I think we are all missing the crucial issue here: Tesla Ships. How the frack that works I don't know....

Rubber hulls, maybe?
EBC: Northeners, Huh! What are they good for?! Absolutely nothing! :P

Cybertron, Justice league...MM, HAB SDN City Watch: Sergeant Detritus

Days Unstabbed, Unabused, Unassualted and Unwavedatwithabutchersknife: 0
Nephtys
Sith Acolyte

Post by Nephtys »

It looks like they took the excellent Shockwave Generals Mod and turned it into the CNC3 engine. While vowing to look goofier than Starcraft 2.
PREDATOR490
Jedi Council Member

Post by PREDATOR490 »

Fuck that, not getting it.

Its that kind of uglyness that made me hate RA2. Tesla stuff is cool but for fuck sake is it really required to have everything from ships to infantry having it ?
The land battleship looks like a really bad idea as well. I was hoping for a decently realistic look rather than the campy 'cartoon / toy' look. I dont want to have Libya with their radioactive bomb trucks or the French with their devastator defense cannon. Although the IVF things that could use the weapon of any infantry unit inside was rather cool.

On the upside, I suspect the map editor should be fairly easy to use and mods will be rampant for something like this hopefully. Pitty it will be another superweapon rush / tank rush game though.
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Red Alert, though good, was damn bland compared to Red Alert 2. I didn't care that they essentially rebooted the Red Alert franchise in RA2, because it was a good game and I liked the whole tongue-in-cheek factor.

Here's to more.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/