World of Tanks Mark 2

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

xthetenth
Jedi Master

Re: World of Tanks Mark 2

Post by xthetenth »

The Vortex Empire wrote:I've never understood that line of reasoning. Even if it's true that all the terribads come out on weekends, they're on the other team too, so it wouldn't affect your winning in any way.
It increases the chance of teams being irreparably bad. There's a sort of critical mass of bad that always invokes murphy's law at the worst time so you'll die unsopported and then people will mess up the easy win you gave them.
The Vortex Empire
Jedi Council Member

Post by The Vortex Empire »

Sure, but the the exact same thing will also happen to the other team just as often. On average you shouldn't win less.
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

It also means a three man platoon of good players can dominate even more than usual.
xthetenth
Jedi Master

Post by xthetenth »

When a lot of top level play is based on analyzing the course of a battle and affecting it at the key points an unpredictable battle really hurts that. Also, with the win rates a purple platoon gets, anything that goes 50-50 like that is a serious issue for keeping win rate up. Even a platoon of 55%ers is going to be negatively impacted.

Add in that a lot of these things come from pubstars without understanding context compounded by a healthy dose of confirmation bias and you get things like this.
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

I don't think its to the point where good matches are 'impossible'. Just in my experience, I end up with way more fail teams than typical on special weekends. Especially x5 ones.

Probably a side effect of none of my tanks (save maybe the KV-4) being able to carry a team.
SDNW5: Republic of Arcadia...Sweden in SPAAACE
The Vortex Empire
Jedi Council Member

Victory!
Battle: Westfield Thursday, May 09, 2013 7:21:08 PM
Vehicle: T-54
Experience received: 1,957
Credits received: 86,307
Battle Achievements: Radley-Walters's Medal, Pascucci's Medal, Top Gun, Sniper, Mastery Badge: "1st Class"

6,741 damage. 8 kills. Only Master Badge 1st Class. Goddamn is this thing OP.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Wins / Battles 25 / 39 64.1%

Avg. / Total Exp. 843 / 32 885
Credits total 265 812

If 5x brings out this kind of fail, can I have it more often?

Also, a free day of premium meant that that's profit. In my Centurion 7 all day. I know, right?
xthetenth
Jedi Master

Post by xthetenth »

So I brought out my tier 4 arty that I've driven about five times, load gold for best results and this happened.

Victory!
Map: South Coast
Date: Saturday, May 11, 2013 4:00:54 PM
Vehicle: AMX 105AM
Exp: 8,010 (x5) + Credits: 35,442
Achievements: : Top Gun, Defender, Master Gunner, Mastery Badge: "Ace Tanker"

I'm helping (artillery get nerfed)!

3,476 damage because I clicked on red tanks super good. In a tier six match.

Here I am making it look easy (because it is)

Hawkwings
Sith Devotee

Post by Hawkwings »

Tell me about the other match you played where your entire team done derped and a single medium came in and wiped your entire side's artillery. Or the other match where you couldn't hit anything all match and no-damaged bounced everything you hit. Or the other match where you couldn't contribute at all because your team rolled over the other side too fast.

Not saying that arty can't have great matches, but there's a lot more variance and you rely on your team a lot more. The best match for an arty is when your team is only slightly worse than the enemy, and you can make the difference. Oh, and gold shells obviously help a lot.
Vendetta wrote:Richard Gatling was a pioneer in US national healthcare. On discovering that most soldiers during the American Civil War were dying of disease rather than gunshots, he turned his mind to, rather than providing better sanitary conditions and medical care for troops, creating a machine to make sure they got shot faster.
xthetenth
Jedi Master

Post by xthetenth »

Actually there was a tier 8 match where my team derped cataclysmically (how do I shoot a Ferdinand?) before that and a wide park I almost managed to salvage against three tanks solo with like four kills. In the tier 8 match I managed to pretty much solo an Indien Panzer, and in the wide park one I started off with two oneshots and had a permatrack kill on a Churchill III later in the game as if that's fair.

I sure do like being able to nearly out-dpm tanks of the actual maximum tier I can ever see.
Scottish Ninja
Jedi Knight

Post by Scottish Ninja »

So I met the Chieftain today at Cantigny. My friend asked about how the M60 was gonna be introduced but flubbed it by saying "M60 Sherman" and got glared at. There was some talk about Russian perspectives vs. American perspectives on tier gaps in matchmaking, and how Americans can get turned off of the game, and the point that Wargaming expected Warplanes to be a bigger hit in the US but keeps finding that more people want Warships instead, something that our group agreed with. The museum also had a few outdoor tank exhibits that we were free to climb about on so we dorked out on those for a bit. Some mentions of "World of Tanks 2.0" coming in the future which is supposed to take advantage of an upgraded BigWorld engine for larger map sizes, longer sight lines, bigger teams, and multicore support among other things.
"If the flight succeeds, you swipe an absurd amount of prestige for a single mission. Heroes of the Zenobian Onion will literally rain upon you." - PeZook
"If the capsule explodes, heroes of the Zenobian Onion will still rain upon us. Literally!" - Shroom
Cosmonaut Ivan Ivanovich Ivanov (deceased, rain), Cosmonaut Petr Petrovich Petrov, Unnamed MASA Engineer, and Unnamed Zenobian Engineerski in Let's play: BARIS
Captain, MFS Robber Baron, PRFYNAFBTFC - "Absolute Corruption Powers Absolutely"
Xess
Jedi Knight

Post by Xess »

So I tried to log on and the site didn't work. I then went to reset my password and the site won't let me do that either. I get the link to reset it but it just keeps going back to the "click here to reset password" page. I am not impressed Wargaming.
Image[
White Haven
Sith Acolyte

Post by White Haven »

Multicore support. Wow, it's like...it's like it's 2005 again, back in the days when that was something new.
Chronological Incontinence: Time warps around the poster. The thread topic winks out of existence and reappears in 1d10 posts.

Out of Context Theatre, this week starring Darth Nostril.
-'If you really want to fuck with these idiots tell them that there is a vaccine for chemtrails.'

Fiction!: The Final War (Bolo/Lovecraft) (Ch 7 9/15/11), Living (D&D, Complete)Image
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

As long as they don't sacrifice compatibility with low-end computers: that's my big concern, because I am NOT buying a new laptop just to run World of Tanks on, and if this thing were any lower-end it wouldn't play the game at all.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
White Haven
Sith Acolyte

Post by White Haven »

I definitely see where you're coming from, but nothing that wasn't a Celeron* sold in the last, eh, probably 7-8 years has been single-core, so I just end up staring at gaming developers who just keep forging ahead with single-core design and then act surprised when they have performance problems at times. Not saying that's the case in this particular situation, just that it's a pattern I've seen way too often, games that end up CPU-gated for performance that aren't designed for anything made after the Pentium 4.
Chronological Incontinence: Time warps around the poster. The thread topic winks out of existence and reappears in 1d10 posts.

Out of Context Theatre, this week starring Darth Nostril.
-'If you really want to fuck with these idiots tell them that there is a vaccine for chemtrails.'

Fiction!: The Final War (Bolo/Lovecraft) (Ch 7 9/15/11), Living (D&D, Complete)Image
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

White Haven wrote:I definitely see where you're coming from, but nothing that wasn't a Celeron* sold in the last, eh, probably 7-8 years has been single-core, so I just end up staring at gaming developers who just keep forging ahead with single-core design and then act surprised when they have performance problems at times. Not saying that's the case in this particular situation, just that it's a pattern I've seen way too often, games that end up CPU-gated for performance that aren't designed for anything made after the Pentium 4.
I don't much care about single-core or multi-core or anything else. I'm just single-issue on the game's ability to run on low-performance machines. :D
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Temjin
Jedi Council Member

Post by Temjin »

So, I'm really starting to hate the Churchill VIII. It's got great armour and an okay gun, but that's all it has going for it. It's slow as fuck, it has a football field worth of hull in front of it's turret, and it's armour don't mean much when it's not top tier. This tank has my worst win rating out of all my tanks. I feel like I'm letting my team down just by driving this turd.

I'm sure I've had at least some good games in it (even though I can't remember any right now) but it's such a fucking chore to drive it. At this point, I'm only driving it when it gets a bonus to experience, so at least I won't have to drive it that fucking often.
"A mind is like a parachute. It only works when it is open."
-Sir James Dewar

Life should have a soundtrack.
Nephtys
Sith Acolyte

Post by Nephtys »

Churchill VIII is really the low point of the Brit Heavies... every tree seems to have a 'free XP sink' deliberately thrown in, with the possible exception of US Mainline Mediums.
The Vortex Empire
Jedi Council Member

I wouldn't even call it well armored. The rather large, easy to hit lower plate everyone aims for is paper thin. It's just a bad tank in general. Slow, bad armor, and mediocre at best firepower.
The Infidel
Jedi Master

Post by The Infidel »

Sometimes, lots of arty can be fun. Nice, soft targets.

Victory!
Map: Live Oaks
Date: 13. mai 2013 20:50:06
Vehicle: IS-3
Exp: 4 035 (x5) + Credits: 26 204
Achievements: : Pascucci's Medal
Where am I at in the post apocalypse draft? When do I start getting picks? Because I want this guy. This guy right here. I will regret not being able to claim the quote, "The first I noticed while burning weed, so I burned it, aiming at its head first. It wriggled for about 10 seconds. Too long... I then fetched an old machete [+LITERALLY ANYTHING]"
- Raw Shark on my slug hunting
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

The Vortex Empire wrote:I wouldn't even call it well armored. The rather large, easy to hit lower plate everyone aims for is paper thin. It's just a bad tank in general. Slow, bad armor, and mediocre at best firepower.
The lower plate isn't particularly thinner, but it is flat, like the rest of the front. You have to angle the Churchill 7 like Jesus.

The real problem is that against many tanks the QF 77mm just isn't good enough unless you're going to use APCR regularly. Churchill 7 is the only tank I've used premium ammo on, because every time it got into tier 8 games it was just pain and uselessness.

Fortunately, the Black Prince is miles better.
Vanas
Jedi Council Member

Post by Vanas »

At this point, I would love to lose a match. just lose one, after a decent fight that doesn't leave me wanting to tear the heads off of the drooling fuckwits I'm lumbered with.

Seven consecutive curbstomps. We're not losing, we're being utterly annhilated. Watching all my team's heavies drive in one by one into a hill that was covered by TD was a particular highlight. What's wrong with these people, and why do I get stuck with them?
According to wikipedia, "the Mohorovičić discontinuity is the boundary between the Earth's crust and the mantle."
According to Starbound, it's a problem solvable with enough combat drugs to turn you into the Incredible Hulk.
xthetenth
Jedi Master

Post by xthetenth »

I blame the 5x for making horrible players remember the game.

I had a game where three separate heavies were firing HE. One T32 ended with about 50 damage and no kills, and I watched an IS-3 and IS-6 duel with HE. In his defense, that IS-3 loaded HE after I bounced two shells in my T69, but bouncing shells consistently off a medium is never a defense.

Wound up way less than 50% in a platoon of good players running possibly the most overpowered tank in the game. Thanks for not knowing how to click red tanks guys.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Meanwhile I've been running a pretty solid 60-65% over the whole x5 weekend, I didn't have any really good x5 games, but overall performance has been strong.
xthetenth
Jedi Master

Post by xthetenth »

Let me get home and I'll post a replay of a near 7k damage game in my E4 where because I'm not terrible enough to have gotten penned while punching through an E-50 and E-75 I'm some sort of terrible camper with under 900 (effish I suppose, and when told not to pretend he has XVM, he decided to claim that was my non-company stats, as if they're separately tracked).