World of Tanks Mark 2

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Imperial528
Jedi Council Member

Re: World of Tanks Mark 2

Post by Imperial528 »

Victory!
Battle: Sand River Wednesday, May 01, 2013 6:07:43 PM
Vehicle: T28
Experience received: 949
Credits received: 25,234
Battle Achievements: Steel Wall, Mastery Badge: "1st Class"

I finally got a steel wall in this. Usually I die from arty or a self-righteous scout that has decided to so gloriously flank me as my team caps their base instead of doing its duty and reducing the cap.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

My preferred remark is "Someone brought a Loltraktor? Call child protective services!"
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Alkaloid
Jedi Master

Post by Alkaloid »

Artillery that fires on enemies that are close to friendlies, light tanks that camp, heavies that refuse to move from their hiding places even when a flank is collapsing,
The issue is there are legit reasons for players to do all those things. If I'm arty and a guy face hugging a tank calls for fire support I assume he's aware of the possible consequences and try to drop a shell behind the bad guys turret (the most satisfying of all arty hits). Passive scouting sometimes works. If I'm in a heavy and 95% of my team has zerged into town you can bet your arse i will sit in a place where I can cover the huge, flat field with good solid cover dotted along it, because I am damn sure that some enemy mediums will come fanging through there to hit our flank/rear/cap.And I won't not do that regardless of what racial slurs some fuckwit who got killed when he tried to ram a tiger in his A-20 throws at me.
Imperial528
Jedi Council Member

Post by Imperial528 »

Victory!
Battle: Abbey Thursday, May 02, 2013 9:44:04 AM
Vehicle: T34
Experience received: 2,090 (x2 for the first victory each day)
Credits received: 52,537
Battle Achievements: The Lion of Sinai

It's fun to flank heavies. Especially while driving one.
Kreller1
Youngling

Post by Kreller1 »

Be it known that I am terrible at this game. I think all told I have 4 kills in about 20 matches.
"Your faith in the permanence of universal laws and the consistent nature of the universe should stand as a glowing example to believers everywhere." ~Sela
The Infidel
Jedi Master

Post by The Infidel »

The Vortex Empire wrote:That won't do anything, I've tried it before. They'll just send back a form letter saying that they let the automated system handle everything and do nothing themselves.
You're right. This is the answer I got:
Wargaming.net wrote:Dear Commander,

As you might know, we have Automatic system that is dealing with this kind of violation.

The 'Team-kill autosystem' recognizes players that deal damage to allies and acts upon it..
Once you damage somebody, the system adds it to all the logs and numbers it deals with and potentially punishes you.

This is the only way how we can secure that every player is going to be dealt equally and fairly. There would be no good measure how to decide whether the caused damage was intentional or not and if the decision would be on the Customer Support, it would become very subjective and lead to all sorts of discussions- We do not want that.

I hope this explains you why is it that we use an automatic system... If not, please following this link to find more information:

http://forum.worldoftanks.eu/index.php? ... utosystem/

Best Wishes:)
Where am I at in the post apocalypse draft? When do I start getting picks? Because I want this guy. This guy right here. I will regret not being able to claim the quote, "The first I noticed while burning weed, so I burned it, aiming at its head first. It wriggled for about 10 seconds. Too long... I then fetched an old machete [+LITERALLY ANYTHING]"
- Raw Shark on my slug hunting
Imperial528
Jedi Council Member

Post by Imperial528 »

So, I just had a Moment of Awesome in my T28.

We were winning and I was trundling along, their arty was the only thing left. Suddenly, I felt that dread when you realize that arty is probably aiming at you. I sighed to myself and kept moving forward at a crawl anyway, since I wouldn't survive even a near miss. I see the shell arc in the distance and I hear a "clunk", there is a cloud of smoke in front of me, my tracks and gun are damaged, and my health remains the same.

I bounced a shot from an S-51. Fuck yes.
The Vortex Empire
Jedi Council Member

Post by The Vortex Empire »

Well, just picked up a T-54, and at the moment I still have stock engine, stock suspension, and the LB-1 from the T-44. And it's already a great tank. Thing's going to be ridiculous when fully upgraded, especially with that 350mm pen HEAT shell.
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

I still have yet to hit my first Tier 9 (ST-1). Namely since school is killing my free time right now.
SDNW5: Republic of Arcadia...Sweden in SPAAACE
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

Platooning, especially with good players makes a huge difference to how fun the game can be. I'm actually staying on for more than just the doubles now.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

I'm about 4/5 of the way to the top gun on the Centurion 7/1. I've started to get some good-ish results with it, but it's rare that I can make the most of the 20pdr's DPM when every arty on the enemy team wants to give me presents, so I think I'm going to like the extra pen and alpha.

I've also taken advantage of the tank of the month to pick up a T-34-85. I'm keeping my T-34 though because it's too much fun sometimes to ever think about selling. Tier 5 might be the domain of the derpgun, but I get serious work out of that 57mm, plus it's great for credits even when it's not on a special.
The Infidel
Jedi Master

Post by The Infidel »

Jub wrote:Platooning, especially with good players makes a huge difference to how fun the game can be. I'm actually staying on for more than just the doubles now.
Amen to that! I have two friends I like to platoon with. Sometimes 3xType59, sometimes 3x Pz1c, BT-2 or I play IS-4 (my only tier 10), my friends Batchat and E-50M (soon Leopard1). My friend with the Batchat knows how to use it and he's annoying the hell out of the enemy team. 3x Pz1C is soooo funny! We almost always focus fire and that means peppering enemy with 750rpm Mauser fire. Focused fire with SU-26 can also be quite nice, especially when we fire simultaneously. My platoon got a brothers in arms award last night playing that arty.
Where am I at in the post apocalypse draft? When do I start getting picks? Because I want this guy. This guy right here. I will regret not being able to claim the quote, "The first I noticed while burning weed, so I burned it, aiming at its head first. It wriggled for about 10 seconds. Too long... I then fetched an old machete [+LITERALLY ANYTHING]"
xthetenth
Jedi Master

Post by xthetenth »

Vendetta wrote:I've also taken advantage of the tank of the month to pick up a T-34-85. I'm keeping my T-34 though because it's too much fun sometimes to ever think about selling. Tier 5 might be the domain of the derpgun, but I get serious work out of that 57mm, plus it's great for credits even when it's not on a special.
Yeah, I just got through the type T-34 with a 63% or so win rate and great stats. I put out so many 1k damage rounds in that thing it lost its humor. Great tank.
Imperial528
Jedi Council Member

Post by Imperial528 »

Victory!
Battle: Ruinberg Friday, May 03, 2013 7:27:28 AM
Vehicle: T28
Experience received: 2,292 (x2 for the first victory each day)
Credits received: 37,782
Battle Achievements: Steel Wall, Sniper, Mastery Badge: "Ace Tanker"

120mm gun is very fun. So is crawling around a city and not getting flanked.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

xthetenth wrote:Yeah, I just got through the type T-34 with a 63% or so win rate and great stats. I put out so many 1k damage rounds in that thing it lost its humor. Great tank.
I always feel a bit hard done by if I only break 1k on a good match in the T-34. I cracked 1800 in a tier 7 match with the Type T-34 once, almost all of it to top tier heavies (a very silly Tiger turned his flank to me after I'd started shooting, got about 900 damage out of him before he trundled out of sight). I keep the screenshot of that to post whenever the tier spread is the forum whine of choice, and on a tier 5 power carry I expect to have 2000 like I do in the KV-1. It's currently running a 66% winrate off 156 battles.
The Infidel
Jedi Master

Post by The Infidel »

I just need to ask. Is there something special going on on the EU server? In the last 3 days, I've encountered more idle/bots and team killers than ever. Just had a team killer who got 3 of our tanks before we managed to take him out. In essence, we lost 4 tanks and still won the game. :)
I felt the need to went in chat and got instabanned for 24 hours for calling the player an asshole. I thought that I at least would get a warning...
Vanas
Jedi Council Member

Post by Vanas »

So, I bought the Comet yesterday. And now it's on sale today. Very funny, WG, very funny indeed.

Ah well, c'est la vie.

And hey, the TOG remains utterly glorious. I spent a game on El Halluf trying to see how many of the enemy's T7s I could kill. Three out of their four isn't bad going, I think.
According to wikipedia, "the Mohorovičić discontinuity is the boundary between the Earth's crust and the mantle."
According to Starbound, it's a problem solvable with enough combat drugs to turn you into the Incredible Hulk.
The Infidel
Jedi Master

Post by The Infidel »

Nice battle. 5 kills, almost a top gun on this one. 4 arties on each side. Our did their job and so did the enemy. I had 58hp left when the battle was over.
Victory!
Map: Murovanka
Date: 3. mai 2013 22:53:50
Vehicle: IS-8
Exp: 1 936 (x2) + Credits: 36 913
Achievements: : Pascucci's Medal
OmegaChief
Jedi Knight

Post by OmegaChief »

Victory!
Battle: South Coast 04 May 2013 21:50:15
Vehicle: M4A3E8 Sherman
Experience received: 1,908 (x2 for the first victory each day)
Credits received: 15,433
Battle Achievements: Lehväslaiho's Medal

So, I took down 2x IS-3s.

I didn't even know Lehvaslaiho's medal was a thing!
This odyssey, this, exodus. Do we journey toward the promised land, or into the valley of the kings? Three decades ago I envisioned a new future for our species, and now that we are on the brink of realizing my dream, I feel only solitude, and regret. Has my entire life's work been a fool's crusade? Have I led my people into this desert, only to die?
-Admiral Aken Bosch, Supreme Commander of the Neo-Terran Front, NTF Iceni, 2367
The Infidel
Jedi Master

Post by The Infidel »

:finger: What.The.Fuck!
Playing my SU-26, I got shot by a team killer right now. First, he shot me once. That can be an accident, but usually isn't. Then he started to repeatedly back a bit and drive into me. I told him to stop and aimed at him, but since he hadn't turned blue, I didn't shoot. He then shot me again and killed me, turned around my wreck and went on in a straight line just to be killed by enemy. Checked the player afterwards, he had played 300 games with a win rate of 42%! Incompetent bastard! :evil:

What is this? Noob week? I've been killed by team killers 4 times the last week. That's more the last week than the 2 years before combined.

Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Teamkillers are the lowest type of scum.

Well, except Artillery.

Of course.

We could all improve the game by summarily executing the arty on both sides at the start of every match.
The Infidel
Jedi Master

Post by The Infidel »

Vendetta wrote:Teamkillers are the lowest type of scum.
Well, except Artillery.
Of course.
Oh, no no no! Arty can spice up a match, as long as there aren't 5 on each side. It's OK with 2 arty on each side, but of course, arty free matches feels like a free haven when you play high tier. I guess that's why high tier arty have glacial reload and aim times. SU-26 can be great fun, but low range means often that you can't hide at the back of the map if you want to do something for your team.
Vendetta wrote:We could all improve the game by summarily executing the arty on both sides at the start of every match.
...Like that asshole did to me?
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

If by "spice up a match" you mean "one shot a tank two tiers higher than itself from complete safety". Even the other things that have a reputation for enormous damage can generally only do that to things two tiers lower.

It's not even just a problem in high tiers either, the tier 4 Grille has 810 potential damage, and there's been more than once I've taken a penetrating hit in my Cromwell and been one shot from full health, same in my ARL-44 (30mm turret sides mean instant death if arty decides it wants you dead), likewise I've been one shot killed in my Centurion 7 by a tier 6 arty, 1620 health gone in one shot, I'd rather stare down the wrong end of a JpzE100, because at least I'd have some health left then.

Artillery in its current form is amazingly bad for the game, it's a type of vehicle which experiences almost no risk in order to deal damage far in excess of its tier, and as much as people cry about gold spamming derpguns at least they have to get line of sight to shoot and therefore in most cases will be open to being shot back at, arty isn't.

Arty, additionally, has the ability to shoot beyond the normal maximum draw in distance, with any direct fire vehicle there's a hard limit beyond which you will simply never see an enemy vehicle even if it's spotted, so even if you have a clear shot you can only hope, but that doesn't apply to the arty view so they can shoot anyone anywhere, likewise obscuring cover doesn't matter, you don't have to judge how much of the enemy vehicle is visible because you have a laser pointer that tells you if your shot is obstructed, a direct fire vehicle has to judge based on the silhouette and obscuring cover whether he's taking a valid shot without just looking at whether the little green line turned red.

Artillery, simply, has too much offensive power for all the other advantages it has, it shits up the game to an amazing degree and makes people do the very thing it was intended to discourage, turtle up like a motherfucker because otherwise you'll get a sudden case of instant death from someone the other side of the map who can point and click on a top down view and whom no-one can retaliate against except other arty. It's the same problem as the mortars in BF3, which had to be basically nerfed into the ground.

Arty players are also much more likely to drown themselves like scumbags and deny other players a kill, that's the sort of person that plays arty, scumbags who are only comfortable when the enemy can't fight back.
...Like that asshole did to me?
If you didn't play arty, you wouldn't have deserved it :P
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

As far as arty goes, I doubt I'll ever go past the Priest. Frustrating at times it may be, this thing actually takes some skill (by arty standards) to use. Almost no splash damage means you pretty well have to land a shell directly on top of someone. And its not accurate enough to just do that the moment you see something.

Then again, I still far prefer my good 'ole Russkie heavies though :P
SDNW5: Republic of Arcadia...Sweden in SPAAACE
The Vortex Empire
Jedi Council Member

Post by The Vortex Empire »

Ever see a platoon of 3 SU-5s spamming HEAT? 206 pen, 320 damage, 9.1 second reload time, and a high enough firing arc to plop down shots right onto the roof armor of people behind rocks. One of the most obscene things I've ever seen in the game.