Kerbal Space Program, Revisited.

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Re: Kerbal Space Program, Revisited.

Post by PeZook »

Imperial528 wrote:Not enough rockets, apparently. I had to redesign it from the ground up since it kept exploding due to structural oscillations, but the end vehicle is only 69.8 tons to LKO. It's barely 100 tons if you count the spent fuel tanks that are left over. It's over twice the mass of the Saturn V and has 12 times the first stage thrust, and it can't even chuck 100 tons to LKO. Though those 69 tons can get to Mun and hopefully land on it.
Are you trying to tell me you designed a KSP ship that's 6000 tonnes on launch?

Can I see the craft file? Please? Can I? Pretty please? A video, perhaps? A screenshot?

*drools*
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
Imperial528
Jedi Council Member

Post by Imperial528 »

PeZook wrote:
Imperial528 wrote:Not enough rockets, apparently. I had to redesign it from the ground up since it kept exploding due to structural oscillations, but the end vehicle is only 69.8 tons to LKO. It's barely 100 tons if you count the spent fuel tanks that are left over. It's over twice the mass of the Saturn V and has 12 times the first stage thrust, and it can't even chuck 100 tons to LKO. Though those 69 tons can get to Mun and hopefully land on it.
Are you trying to tell me you designed a KSP ship that's 6000 tonnes on launch?

Can I see the craft file? Please? Can I? Pretty please? A video, perhaps? A screenshot?

*drools*
As it turns out, it was actually only a third of the mass. (I fail at reading wiki articles) Time to make a 6000 ton ship!
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

It would be a most glourious creation to make benefit the people of Kerbalistan!

But man I am disappointed now, though I should've caught on when you mentioned it could not even get 100 tonnes to LKO - Kerbin is so much smaller than Earth that a 6000 tonne rocket would exceed that quite handily (provided it held together). Of course, it was always possible that you just fucked up the design and it was just horribly, Kerbalistani inefficient :D

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
Imperial528
Jedi Council Member

Post by Imperial528 »

Okay, I fucked up the head-math this time. It was about 1/2 of the mass of the Saturn V. So 69 tons isn't bad at all.

New rocket is 2.3 thousand tons (so far). Here's a screen:

PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

How on Earth can this do the pitchover maneuver with so few control surfaces? :D

Imperial528
Jedi Council Member

Post by Imperial528 »

It doesn't start the turn until the first stage has fully burnt. And technically what you see here is the second stage undergoing ground testing....

EDIT: Succesful orbit between 367km and 398km, 177.97 vehicle mass at orbit. This includes a full Jumbo-64 tank, well, two full ones.
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

I'd suggest going for the lowest possible orbit, actually, it shaves off a lot of fuel, but also means you burn a lot more in atmosphere so that beast might fall apart :D

I usually launch with a 65km apogee set in the autopilot, then kick it up higher after MECO.

Imperial528
Jedi Council Member

Post by Imperial528 »

I went medium orbit because I waited for the first stage to burn out. When it's complete I may try for a lower orbit.
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Yeah, my rockets pitchover at about 10 km, most of them before first stage burnout, which means it's a very worrisome moment for me every launch :P

Imperial528
Jedi Council Member

Post by Imperial528 »

I had first stage burnout at about 60-70km, lol. Going to add another booster stage, bringing the total mass to about 3,800 tons. When I get home, at least.
LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

Imperial528 wrote:I had first stage burnout at about 60-70km, lol. Going to add another booster stage, bringing the total mass to about 3,800 tons. When I get home, at least.
Are you trying to deliver a complete base to the mun in one piece? Or a medium city to low orbit? :mrgreen:
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

I do archery skeet. With a Trebuchet.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

That rocket looks like one I tried building out of LEGO as a kid. Looks about as stable too :D
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Imperial528
Jedi Council Member

Post by Imperial528 »

Okay, I've attached the 55 engine first stage. It now masses quite a bit and is bigger than the launch pad.

Yes, you read that right:

Let's hope it survives liftoff.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

What the bloody hell???

That looks...well, like it was designed by Top Gear. I hope for your sake it doesn't prove to be "ambitious but rubbish."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Imperial528
Jedi Council Member

Post by Imperial528 »

On the first launch it started blowing up at nine seconds. I dialed down the thrust from 1000kn to 825kn per engine via the throttle and now it seems to be working fine so far:

Its total thrust is 82.5Mn max, 45.375Mn nominal, from fifty five engines in the first stage.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Question: I have heard you can use nuclear thermal rockets in KSP...can you use Orion-based vehicles?

Imperial528
Jedi Council Member

Post by Imperial528 »

I think there are plans for Orions at some point in the future. Modders will probably get to it eventually if that doesn't happen.

Also, the superheavy failed. I've made a new, leaner design, which worked perfectly when carrying a full Jumbo 64 fuel tank. Now it keeps exploding with the small solar module that I am trying to launch....
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Post by Admiral Valdemar »

What does that thing mass and what payload capacity can you get up with it?
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

I don't think "superheavy" does it justice.

Imperial528
Jedi Council Member

Post by Imperial528 »

Admiral Valdemar wrote:What does that thing mass and what payload capacity can you get up with it?
The megaheavy (how's that PeZook?) masses at 3671.78 tons at launch, and so far it doesn't get past the first stage without blowing up. That may have just been lag causing computation errors though, since the design itself seems pretty stable, and I had similar problems with previously successful rockets later that night.
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Since IIRC .17 KSP slows the simulation down when it can't handle it all.

What is most likely happening is that you are reaching max-q (the moment where forces acting on the rocket peak out) - try throttling down right before it blows up. This is most likely true if the thing always falls apart at the same time.

If it doesn't, then you might try MOAR STRUTS :D

Imperial528
Jedi Council Member

Post by Imperial528 »

PeZook wrote:Since IIRC .17 KSP slows the simulation down when it can't handle it all.

What is most likely happening is that you are reaching max-q (the moment where forces acting on the rocket peak out) - try throttling down right before it blows up. This is most likely true if the thing always falls apart at the same time.

If it doesn't, then you might try MOAR STRUTS :D
With the megaheavy that made it last a bit longer. With my new superheavy strangely lower throttle made the solar module lifter actually fall apart sooner. Yet the one with a full jumbo on top is fine....
TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Post by TimothyC »

Imperial, I want to know why you bothered with the crew tank on the recovery mission? You could have just used empty external command chairs attached to the side of the rocket to bring the stranded Kerbal home.
"I believe in the future. It is wonderful because it stands on what has been achieved." - Sergei Korolev
Imperial528
Jedi Council Member

Post by Imperial528 »

Because that's just not right.

No, I change my mind.

It's simply wrong.
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Oh really?