Kerbal Space Program, Revisited.

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Re: Kerbal Space Program, Revisited.

Post by Enigma »

But can you burn up upon re-entry?
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
J Ryan
Youngling

Post by J Ryan »

Enigma wrote:But can you burn up upon re-entry?
Just visual and audio affects for now, you can still aerobrake a brick from intersteller speeds if you want :D
TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Post by TimothyC »

Orbital Skydiving

Jeb lives thanks to an EVA parachute!
"I believe in the future. It is wonderful because it stands on what has been achieved." - Sergei Korolev
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

Hilarious! I'd like them to make the Kerbals turn into charcoal briquettes when re-entering. :)
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
ChaserGrey
Jedi Knight

Post by ChaserGrey »

Just getting back into this myself. So-so constructor, but pretty good naviguesser. If I find time later I'll post some pictures, but basically at this point my program is:
  • A station in Kerbin orbit
  • A pretty simple surface-orbit ferry
  • A couple of nuclear tugs to dock onto various bits and take them elsewhere in the system
  • A vacuum-only lander with some slight issues (see below)
  • A VTVL jet-rocket demonstrator, officially the "Kangaroo" and unofficially known as "Whistling Death"
Just tried my first landing, on Minimus. Perfectly successful up until the point that I had excessive horizontal drift, crashed, and left two Kerbonauts stranded there in a lander cabin that somehow, miraculously survived. I'm taking it as a chance to excel by rescuing them.
Lt. Brown, Mr. Grey, and Comrade Syeriy on Let's Play BARIS
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

I have long since given up on manual landings and just use enslaved biomechanical abominations to do it for me.
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
DarkArk
Padawan Learner

Post by DarkArk »

Why is docking next to impossible? I just spent 5 hours (and three launches) getting my refueler craft up to my station and docked properly. Is there some special trick to it? Should it be higher up in orbit so that it's slower? I was at 200,000m, I put it up to 400,000 once I got my station refueled for when I try again. Landing on the Mun seems easier than this.

The offending station:
Imperial528
Jedi Council Member

Post by Imperial528 »

My easiest dock was my first, at 336km and a circular orbit with a variance of only a few meters, all manually done too. The craft ended up within 12m of the target on the first past, which is of course so close I thought they were going to hit each other and docking followed shortly. Now, the key to that is that the station was launched, and then the craft shortly afterwards, so matching orbits was very easy as Kerbin hadn't moved much.

In general it depends on a lot of factors such as craft balance and time to maneuver, and such. Some of my easiest docks have been with my LKO station that sits at around 160km. Or maybe it was 100km. Can't recall exactly at the moment. So have some of my hardest, mind you, though those had badly balanced ships to be honest, as they were fuel modules.
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Use Mechjeb. Seriously, cancelling out velocities is SUCH a pain without it!

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
DarkArk
Padawan Learner

Post by DarkArk »

I have been using Mechjeb. Though I've mostly been using it to get orbits lined up and taking off on the correct launch window. There's a way to cancel out velocities? Under what tab? I'll have to look it over again.
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

I assume that if you can match orbits, then you can select targets, right? When you do, Mechjeb gets some new functions related to the target, the relevant ones here being RVEL+ and RVEL- and well as PAR+ and PAR-. The rendezvous module window also displays your relative velocity.

So the procedure I use is simple: approach to within a hundred metres or so (sometimes less, depending on the sizes of both spacecraft), cancel out rvel with the RVEL buttons ; Select the docking port I want as target, switch to my own docking port using "control from here" ; get into the initial position with RCS ; Cancel out RVEL again, tell smart A.S.S. to keep the active spacecraft parallel and dock with RCS and the chase camera.

Easy.

DarkArk
Padawan Learner

Post by DarkArk »

Interesting. But that wasn't really my problem. Once I got to within 500m or so I was able to do it no real problem. My problem was lining up orbits correctly such that both would be on top of each other. I was always 1-4 km away, and either too far forward or too far behind in my orbit from the station (which was perfect and equal to the equator).
Scottish Ninja
Jedi Knight

Post by Scottish Ninja »

1-4km is fine - a >10km intercept was usually good enough for me. Once you've matched velocities at that range, it's fairly trivial just to burn towards your target (no more than 20m/s at longer range, usually). You'll have to stop and correct several times on your way but that's easy enough anyway; any time your distance to target starts increasing again, stop, reorient, and burn again. Eventually you'll be in the exact right position and velocity.
"If the flight succeeds, you swipe an absurd amount of prestige for a single mission. Heroes of the Zenobian Onion will literally rain upon you." - PeZook
"If the capsule explodes, heroes of the Zenobian Onion will still rain upon us. Literally!" - Shroom
Cosmonaut Ivan Ivanovich Ivanov (deceased, rain), Cosmonaut Petr Petrovich Petrov, Unnamed MASA Engineer, and Unnamed Zenobian Engineerski in Let's play: BARIS
Captain, MFS Robber Baron, PRFYNAFBTFC - "Absolute Corruption Powers Absolutely"
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

At 4 km one burn might even be enough, and frankly it's next to impossible to get it any closer than that without some VERY detailed maths and precise maneuvering.

Imperial528
Jedi Council Member

Post by Imperial528 »

PeZook, you are of weak vision!

http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/7739 ... ot2715.png

Behold! The standard intersect seperation for all of my rendezvous operations.
DarkArk
Padawan Learner

Post by DarkArk »

So basically I was being too demanding of myself and should have burned earlier, because it's totally possible at that range? Noted. Time to try out v19 I guess.
Imperial528
Jedi Council Member

Post by Imperial528 »

Usually when I can't line up the intersection on the first few maneuvers I just line up the orbits with just a bit off (or if I want to do it quick I put my orbit to an elliptical one) and orbit until they line up. Of course this usually requires a very quick burn to immediately match velocities so it doesn't work well with low acceleration designs. The elliptical, that is. Circular just takes a long time.
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

DarkArk wrote:So basically I was being too demanding of myself and should have burned earlier, because it's totally possible at that range? Noted. Time to try out v19 I guess.
Even the shuttle did not begin what is called "proximity operations" phases of rendezvous before approaching to within 1km ; Approaching that close without doing all the complex maths and planning is actually pretty good (well, yeah, KSP is vastly easier than real spaceflight, but still... :D)

You're doing perfectly fine.

Imperial528
Jedi Council Member

Post by Imperial528 »

Got a decent station up and running:
Spoiler
Lights, because Space is Dark.
OmegaChief
Jedi Knight

Post by OmegaChief »

So it was late at night, I was bored, booted up my slightly out of date copy of KSP, threw together a random rocket as I had a little inspiration, launched surprisingly well.

Get close to the Mun, and as my previous posts here have made clear, I'm pretty terrible at this, I mean I don't use mechjeb, I'm not very good at physics, I'm totally going off the Mk 1 eyeball and stick here. Somehow I make an almost perfect vertical decent, with only about 10-20 m/s horizontal velocity.

I touch down, bounc a few times, topple over and there's an explosion! It's only a few of the extra support ladders though, so retract gear, rextend... an almost perfect landing!

I had fuel to spare too! It was only slightly marred by Jeb tumbling into the solar panels on his way down but... I have finally landed on the Mun in one peice on a rocket that can concivably take off again! Holy moly I was not expecting to be able to do this!

This odyssey, this, exodus. Do we journey toward the promised land, or into the valley of the kings? Three decades ago I envisioned a new future for our species, and now that we are on the brink of realizing my dream, I feel only solitude, and regret. Has my entire life's work been a fool's crusade? Have I led my people into this desert, only to die?
-Admiral Aken Bosch, Supreme Commander of the Neo-Terran Front, NTF Iceni, 2367
Dave
Jedi Knight

Post by Dave »

Nice job, OmegaChief! A good landing is always a good feeling. Looks like you have enough fuel to make it home, too -- though I'm not spotting a parachute on this side...
GuppyShark
Sith Devotee

Post by GuppyShark »

No parachute isn't a deal breaker, you can probably recover him without drama if you can get him anywhere near Kerbal.
Imperial528
Jedi Council Member

Post by Imperial528 »

Yeah, just get him in a nice circular orbit (to save fuel you could use an elliptical that dips into the atmosphere and when the apogee is low enough use the engine to boost it back out of the atmosphere) then rendezvous in orbit and EVA.
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Does anyone have ideas on how to accomplish a manned EVE return? I've nearly given up :P

OmegaChief
Jedi Knight

Post by OmegaChief »

Dave wrote:Nice job, OmegaChief! A good landing is always a good feeling. Looks like you have enough fuel to make it home, too -- though I'm not spotting a parachute on this side...
I threw this rocket together thinking I'd explode on the launch pad, fail to make it to the Mun or crash and burn like all my other Mun landings, as such I didn't really give a throught to any method of return for poor Jeb here. Whoops.
This odyssey, this, exodus. Do we journey toward the promised land, or into the valley of the kings? Three decades ago I envisioned a new future for our species, and now that we are on the brink of realizing my dream, I feel only solitude, and regret. Has my entire life's work been a fool's crusade? Have I led my people into this desert, only to die?
-Admiral Aken Bosch, Supreme Commander of the Neo-Terran Front, NTF Iceni, 2367