Starcraft: Ghost. Will it suck?

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Lord Pounder
Pretty Hate Machine

Post by Lord Pounder »

Lagmonster wrote:This is the part where everybody should perk up and say, "It's going to be exactly like Command And Conquer: Renegade, except that the playable character won't move like an arthritic tortoise on valium".
I was just thinking that as i was reading this. Renegade had the potential but it didn't quite make it. I hope SC:G doesn't because i might buy it at some point. But if you want a shooter in the 3rd person stick to Hitman 2. I'm still striving for the psychopath rating.
RIP Yosemite Bear
Gone, Never Forgotten
Spyder
Sith Marauder

Post by Spyder »

closet sci-fi fan wrote:
What, is it a third person shooter? It's all the same to me.
Over the shoulder kind of thing.
:D
SPOOFE
Sith Devotee

Post by SPOOFE »

So, you don't think there's any difference between Halo and GTA3, eh?
The Great and Malignant
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

SPOOFE wrote:
So, you don't think there's any difference between Halo and GTA3, eh?
Survey says: owned.
Mayabird is my girlfriend
Justice League:BotM:MM:SDnet City Watch:Cybertron's Finest
"Well then, science is bullshit. "
-revprez, with yet another brilliant rebuttal.
Lagmonster
Master Control Program
Master Control Program

Post by Lagmonster »

I never really liked 3rd person view, to be honest, although some players swear by it. Nonetheless, part of the appeal of 3rd person is the ability to see your character in melee combat, which is why Jedi KNight 2, Rune, and other like games are played 3rd-person.

The OTHER major thing is that consoles do NOT do first-person very well. 3rd person is much, much better, but even then you don't get the precise actions of a mouse.

All that aside, Ghost will probably pull it off very well, although no game - including Splinter Cell - does 'sneaky' as well as Thief did, or likely ever will.
Note: I'm semi-retired from the board, so if you need something, please be patient.
SPOOFE
Sith Devotee

Post by SPOOFE »

In terms of playing each game in first person and third person, there's a slight difference in how well you can aim.
Ah, THAT'S the problem. You're one of those "people" that assumes that all games put all their emphasis on shooting.
which isn't saying much considering console controllers are horrible for aiming
I disagree. You just need talent.
The Great and Malignant
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

closet sci-fi fan wrote:
which isn't saying much considering console controllers are horrible for aiming
I disagree. You just need talent.
I can use console controllers; they're just greatly inferior to the Keyboard and Mouse.
To play a game well is good control, whether that control be provided by a controller or a keyboard and a mouse. The fact that the keyboard and mouse are a better setup is irrevelant.
Mayabird is my girlfriend
Justice League:BotM:MM:SDnet City Watch:Cybertron's Finest
"Well then, science is bullshit. "
-revprez, with yet another brilliant rebuttal.
Darth Garden Gnome
Official SD.Net Lawn Ornament

Post by Darth Garden Gnome »

It can't, no matter how hard it tries, be half as cool as Metroid Prime. That doesn't mean it can't be unique in its own special way, but Metroid Prime will top it everytime.

But I still wan to end up seeing full use of the Ghost's special abilities, ie- cloak, lockdown, and nuke launch; plus a hell of a lot of other cool stuff.

I'd rather Blizzard get off its lazy ass and make SC2 (without the WC3 engine, its nice, but I liked the SC engine better. They should make a new one fo rthis bad boy), I want to see Kerigan go down hard, and the Protoss own the galaxy!!!
Leader of the Secret Gnome Revolution
Sriad
Sith Devotee

Post by Sriad »

I've seen pictures from the game in some magazine or other; they're pretty good, and the Ultralisk is fucking HUGE, but they need to work on textures some. It'll be interesting to see how Blizzard's first FPS type (isn't it?) game turns out. Even though it should be SC2. And/or for the PC.