Should I try out Star Trek Online?

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Re: Should I try out Star Trek Online?

Post by Lord Revan »

mr friendly guy wrote: 2018-11-16 12:12pm I am trying to play foundry missions and nothing turns up. I have heard after large patches the foundry is shut down, but why did they give a mission to complete foundry missions. Jesus.
There's a bug preventing the foundry from getting back up (to make a long story short they accidently deleted files needed for the foundry to work) and it probably won't be coming back any sooner then next thursday at earliest.

If you want details check the foundry section at official forums.

EDIT:Also I think the endeavour list is 100% automated so there's no-one actually putting it into the list but rather they forgot (again) to remove it during a major downtime.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

Trying out the Hur'q vedcrid carrier, and it handles like a beast. Of course I got the incontrovertible defense set (since I don't have any other set), but its boost to turn rate is pretty nifty. Combine with 2 out of 3 of swarm tactics and I got extra turn rate. The next step is to create the phaser variant turrent from the gamma reputation set along with one of the items and get better boost to phaser and projectiles and better turn rate. So for a carrier, I move pretty well.

Also it amuses me that my hangar pets fire lasers. But lasers won't even penetrate our navigational shields. :lol:

On another note, now that I am tier 6, I notice I get bonus 2% for various weapons. Thus it incentivises me to try and get some other phaser /weapon gear to replace my generic ones.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
mr friendly guy
The Doctor

Also noticed they nerfed the synergistic retrofitting set. Instead of 17% direct damage + 33 % phaser with the bonus, its now reduced to 2.5% direct damage + 33% phaser bonus damage. Which also nerfs the kinetic cutting beam. Fortunately its possible to change one of my consoles with the Ordnance Accelerator Mk XII from the gamma reputation set, and then change a phaser for one from the gamma set and get another 36% bonus in phaser damage.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

mr friendly guy wrote: 2018-11-28 10:18am Trying out the Hur'q vedcrid carrier, and it handles like a beast. Of course I got the incontrovertible defense set (since I don't have any other set), but its boost to turn rate is pretty nifty. Combine with 2 out of 3 of swarm tactics and I got extra turn rate. The next step is to create the phaser variant turrent from the gamma reputation set along with one of the items and get better boost to phaser and projectiles and better turn rate. So for a carrier, I move pretty well.

Also it amuses me that my hangar pets fire lasers. But lasers won't even penetrate our navigational shields. :lol:

On another note, now that I am tier 6, I notice I get bonus 2% for various weapons. Thus it incentivises me to try and get some other phaser /weapon gear to replace my generic ones.
I have that pre-eminent set on my Fed sci character, its Tetryon damage boost makes it the clear favourite, and the Emitter Refocuser is handy too since it boosts drain and shield res as well as damage.

I have 11 fully-levelled and geared characters, most of them have XIV epic guns that has been RE:D to have the CrtD/DM final mod. With the exception of my Klingon characters which use coalition disruptors, the only non-vanilla weapons any of my toons use are the set items. AFAIK, the store items seem pretty 'meh' since their procs either replace the weapon's regular ones with something less useful or trades a modifier to retain them. Either way I don't envision replacing what I spent much time and dilithium re-engineering. Especially when I have a surplus of three dozen upgraded weapons sitting in my account bank, most of which are account bound.
Also noticed they nerfed the synergistic retrofitting set. Instead of 17% direct damage + 33 % phaser with the bonus, its now reduced to 2.5% direct damage + 33% phaser bonus damage. Which also nerfs the kinetic cutting beam. Fortunately its possible to change one of my consoles with the Ordnance Accelerator Mk XII from the gamma reputation set, and then change a phaser for one from the gamma set and get another 36% bonus in phaser damage.
I wouldn't know about that set as all the parts come from either lockboxes or lobi. Not sure how that affects the KCB though, most of my toon use the KCB along with the assimilated module both for the individual console effects and the set bonus.
mr friendly guy
The Doctor

EnterpriseSovereign wrote: 2018-12-01 02:42pm I wouldn't know about that set as all the parts come from either lockboxes or lobi. Not sure how that affects the KCB though, most of my toon use the KCB along with the assimilated module both for the individual console effects and the set bonus.
I think its now a problem with displaying the stats rather than nerfing. Sometimes it displays the old stat bonus and sometimes not. Go figure.

mr friendly guy
The Doctor

Got a Tzenkethi carrier and with the right tetyron boosts it handles nicely, even getting it a decent turn rate of 13.7%
https://sto.gamepedia.com/Tzenkethi_Resolve_Set

Tzenkethi resolve set gives a boost to tetyrons by 25%
6 tactical consoles (using the miracle worker slot for extra console) gives boost of 236.4% with 10% crit chance and extra 9.8% crit damage
https://sto.gamepedia.com/Console_-_Uni ... Sticky_Web
Sticky web gives another 25% tetryon boost
https://sto.gamepedia.com/Krenim_Temporal_Manipulation
Two out of the krenim temporal manipulation gives 14.3% tetryon boost. Using the Temporal Disentanglement Suite gives a 26.2% boost to shields and extra boost to crit chance and crit damage.

Using all 4 of the incontrovertible defense gives +30% tetryon, +40% max shield capacity and + 20% flight turn rate. The beauty is the warp core diverts shield power as a bonus to weapon, so my starting weapon strength is 124 (max is usually 125) so pretty happy with that.

https://sto.gamepedia.com/Incontrovertible_Defenses

Science emitter for another 19.7% tetryon damage and extra draining powers, which goes well with plasmonic leech.
https://sto.gamepedia.com/Console_-_Sci ... _Refocuser

I have two epic resonating tetryon beam arrays, which proc at 5% rather than 2.5%
https://sto.gamepedia.com/Resonating_Tetryon_Beam_Array

Kinetic cutting beam gives 2% bonus damage to all since I am at level 6 reputation for the Omega reputation.

I could try maximising more and getting tetryon beam arrays from the reputation (since I am at level 6 I am supposed to get 2% bonus each time) for an extra 4% damage, but not sure if that offsets the extra chance of procing with the resonating tetryon array. Another way is to use my Hierarchy science officer, as his pirate ability gives an extra 1.5% damage.

However generally, it does great damage, especially with the tetryon torp doing 15 K + damage. That's comparable to some of the more powerful projectiles, and being an energy torp its equally affective against shields. Combine with torpedo spread, attack patterns and kemocite loaded weapons it does great.

I have also got elite hangar pets for the carrier and also got a krenim BOFF tactical to speed up the recharging. I am thinking of getting an extra engineering BOFF (krenim) to help recharge the healing abilities of engineering. I do have a DOFF for the engineering team, but I need to recharge faster. It however is going to take a while before I save up for another krenim BOFF.

EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

This is the downside to multiple characters, anything that costs Lobi is single character only, versus stuff that Zen unlocks. And Zen is more expensive right now at around 320:1, which sucks. The only thing that would bring down prices would be another Phoenix event- those are like buses, wait ages for one then three come along at once.

The resolve set actually gives 40% thanks to the console's 15% boost.

Also worth mentioning is the Nukara set, which gives another 9.5% for the 2-pc bonus:

https://sto.gamepedia.com/Nukara_Appropriated_Munitions

I only bother with the mines if I'm flying something like a cruiser with the extra aft weapon mount.
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Well speak of the Devil, no more than a couple of days after mentioning it and what do you know? A Phoenix event with a concurrent ship sale- the sale means the exchange rate won't drop as much as it usually does during a Phoenix but it still has dropped back below 300:1 for the first time in months.

I did buy another job lot of 100 packs in case I decide to build up any of my toon's ground gear and/or my Discovery toon if I decide to fully level her- I did get lucky this time as I got an epic prize token, until they decide to expand the available ships at that tier to beyond those offered via events though I won't be able to spend them unless I downgrade a tier.

This time round the lion's share of my expenditure will go on buying zen, and the rest will be a combination of buying packs and supplying fleet projects. At least the KDF ones- the Fed ones are short of fleet marks, not dilithium.
mr friendly guy
The Doctor

Finally putting some more effort into my second toon, a Rommie sci officer. Expended 400,000 fleet credits to give her 6 slots in ground and space DOFFs and extra research. When I get enough dilithium after the phoenix prize is over, I will buy her a krenim science BOFF for faster recharge times, and I am going to make the ship have 3 science slots, 1 tactical, and 1 engineering (getting rid of an engineering spot). This will allow more wanktastic scientific powers to kick in, especially when control abilities drain energy (via pilfered power trait) and do lots of damage via catastrophic overload trait.

After buying the Krenim BOFF, she would still have more than a million fleet credits left. :D

Afterwards it time to buy another Krenim BOFF for my third toon. She has enough fleet credits. Then to save up for an extra ground slot.

mr friendly guy
The Doctor

New episodes are decent. Looking forward to kicking Captain Tilly's arse again.

Got the new Vulcan scout ship, and I will eventually test it out later.

FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

I'm a bit miffed that there's no hilt animation for the Emperor's sword. On the plus side, my Terran Empire uniform works well with my Romulan duelist cape to create a vision of Terran royalty.
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

mr friendly guy wrote: 2019-01-27 01:26am New episodes are decent. Looking forward to kicking Captain Tilly's arse again.

Did you spend Lobi on tokens? There haven't been enough issued through the story and Omega Particle Stabilisation daily missions yet.

The Omega Minigame actually works this year, what normally happens is that the weekly maintenance breaks it, causing it to close a few seconds in and getting a single trace, instead of 3 traces plus a green sliver and the occasional shard. While it works I do 10 runs on each primary colour which is worth 30 of each plus as many greens. Following the rule of threes and dividing accordingly it boils down to two Omega tech upgrades per day.

When it comes to farming traces/slivers the most efficient way is to place one character at each colour in a system (piloting a nimble ship) that has bank access for quick trading, not all systems with traces do. I use New Romulus, DS9/Qo'nos/Sol, Sherman(K7) for blue, red, and yellow, respectively.

For the daily tokens it still entails racing from one system to the next, but that can't be helped.
mr friendly guy
The Doctor

EnterpriseSovereign wrote: 2019-01-30 09:49am
mr friendly guy wrote: 2019-01-27 01:26am New episodes are decent. Looking forward to kicking Captain Tilly's arse again.

Did you spend Lobi on tokens? There haven't been enough issued through the story and Omega Particle Stabilisation daily missions yet.
Yeah, I can't be bothered grinding for more tokens. Got a lot on my plate with RL. Currently there isn't a lobi ship I particularly want to get, so... get the latest ship and test my luck and see if its a ship I will like. Although more likely it will have a console which then forms a bonus with another console to be released which I will end up liking. :D

EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

mr friendly guy wrote: 2019-01-30 10:13am
EnterpriseSovereign wrote: 2019-01-30 09:49am

Yeah, I can't be bothered grinding for more tokens. Got a lot on my plate with RL. Currently there isn't a lobi ship I particularly want to get, so... get the latest ship and test my luck and see if its a ship I will like. Although more likely it will have a console which then forms a bonus with another console to be released which I will end up liking. :D
How many characters do you have? The problem with Lobi and lockbox stuff (especially ships) is that unlike those obtained from the store they can only be used with a single toon. If there was the equivalent of a fleet ship module for that stuff I'd be far more likely to spend what few lobi I have! :mrgreen:

The pattern that's been pointed out on the forums is that in the spring the latest 12K 9-ship mega-pack is released, with the console on the event ship forming part of the set that the other three ships bring.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

I've been saving up my lobi to afford the Maquis Raider, but the Terran Empire costume and Emperor's sword delayed that a bit. I'm happy with the choices, but it does mean that'll be a while with my only getting keys via exchanging Zen via dilithium and then buying keys, or just buying keys with EC.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

There's issues with the account servers atm either you get into the character select screen there before getting booted or can't get logged in at all.
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Lord Revan wrote: 2019-02-06 05:42pm There's issues with the account servers atm either you get into the character select screen there before getting booted or can't get logged in at all.
Indeed, I was able to log in this evening long enough to claim the new Vulcan ship but nothing else. As I'm typing this, it seems it's finally come back up so I can at least finish my daily stuff.
mr friendly guy
The Doctor

EnterpriseSovereign wrote: 2019-02-03 12:02pm
How many characters do you have? The problem with Lobi and lockbox stuff (especially ships) is that unlike those obtained from the store they can only be used with a single toon. If there was the equivalent of a fleet ship module for that stuff I'd be far more likely to spend what few lobi I have! :mrgreen:
4 toons. One Fed science, one Romulan science captain, one Fed tactical, and one Fed engineering, which I might develop later. So far the first 3 are pretty developed, max levels, the first two are maxed all specialties and the last one just needs to max intelligence specialty, not that she actually uses it.

mr friendly guy
The Doctor

Well tried out the new Vulcan ship for two of my toons.

Works well for a tactical toon with tetryons if I use enough consoles to boost turn rate so it moves nicely. Gravity well and subspace vortex does nice supplemental damage.

Also trying it for a science toon, and gravity well does great damage when I stack it with science consoles.

Also I now have 1.2 million dilithium among my three toons.

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Going back to my old account (which I stopped being able to access for some reason as my old computer died). Looooooong patch before I can start playing. Looking forward to seeing what's changed, and what's stayed the same.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

I'll have to give it a shot, I'm still working on the masteries for all the Cardassian ships included in the Vanguard pack. Juggling the ships with limited shipyard and dock space never gets easier! :lol:

Among my dozen, it's fair to say I have a bit more. :mrgreen: The 8,000 ore refining limit isn't a problem most of the time, except my Dominion character got a month's worth by completing all the available reps simultaneously, while by contrast my Discovery toon (#12) is practically on fumes. If there was a way to transfer ore to other toons to spread the refining load it would help, especially as the method of shifting refined dil leaves much to be desired.

Last weekend I ended up buying the Discovery ops pack with dil-converted Zen, with the opening-weekend 30% discount and a further discount for players that already bought the starter pack as I had- I haven't even touched any of the stuff that it contains. Personally I hope the pack is in addition to instead of in lieu of the mega-bundle that usually appears in the spring. However because even with the discounts I still don't have enough Zen for both, assuming the mega bundle will be 12,000Z (reduced to 9.600). Either way, a Phoenix event sometime prior to that would bring the exchange rate down quite nicely.

How long has it been since you last played? I can't imagine having more than one STO account since they're separate entities and would mean repurchasing a shitload of stuff! :lol:
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Oh, I don't have more than one account. I just stopped playing after I started having problems accessing my account (to be honest, I was worried my account had been hacked, but I think now it might have just been my old computer slowly dying).

I'm only now trying to get back into it after... Gosh, its probably been a couple years now, give or take a few months.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

mr friendly guy wrote: 2019-02-22 11:09pm Well tried out the new Vulcan ship for two of my toons.

Works well for a tactical toon with tetryons if I use enough consoles to boost turn rate so it moves nicely. Gravity well and subspace vortex does nice supplemental damage.

Also trying it for a science toon, and gravity well does great damage when I stack it with science consoles.

Also I now have 1.2 million dilithium among my three toons.
err we're talking about the T'Pau-class right since that thing turns on a dime even when non-boosted, I've had issue with it turning too well when I was doing the mastery for the trait (I prefer cruiser style ships).

That said the T'Pau is nice ship for what it's meant to be, it's not a "kill everything in single volley" vapescort and it's not meant to be.
mr friendly guy
The Doctor

Lord Revan wrote: 2019-02-24 03:56am
err we're talking about the T'Pau-class right since that thing turns on a dime even when non-boosted, I've had issue with it turning too well when I was doing the mastery for the trait (I prefer cruiser style ships).

That said the T'Pau is nice ship for what it's meant to be, it's not a "kill everything in single volley" vapescort and it's not meant to be.
[/quote]

I find it turns decent, but not that great without consoles to boost it.

EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2019-02-23 11:16pm Oh, I don't have more than one account. I just stopped playing after I started having problems accessing my account (to be honest, I was worried my account had been hacked, but I think now it might have just been my old computer slowly dying).

I'm only now trying to get back into it after... Gosh, its probably been a couple years now, give or take a few months.
As someone who plays daily I can tell you doing so does not protect you from large patches; it reduces them but the occasional biggie still comes down the line! :lol:

There will be a few extra rep marks since you last played, they seem to bring out a couple per year. They got rid of the Red Alert system as we knew it in an effort to encourage use of other PvEs via the much-hated "play random" feature that doesn't let you choose between ground and space, so getting the marks you want won't be as straightforward as it used to be.

There will also be a few event ships that can only be obtained at the time, unless you have some Epic Phoenix Tokens those will be Lost Forever.

There's an event on which just started where the prize is a ground kit module (among some other stuff) as long as you complete the mission daily; no way am I doing it with all my toons though, I'll probably limit it to my newest two. As the least-developed they could do with the gear the most!