World of Tanks Mark 2

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Re: World of Tanks Mark 2

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

My best (overall) tank remains the T-150. I can get better matches in the KV-1 or KV-4 (and oddly the Pz I.) but no other tank equals it in the regularity of good battles.

EDIT: Also...94 pages? Wow. :P
SDNW5: Republic of Arcadia...Sweden in SPAAACE
Imperial528
Jedi Council Member

Post by Imperial528 »

Victory!
Battle: Ensk Monday, March 25, 2013 10:53:37 PM
Vehicle: Churchill VII
Experience received: 2,608 (x2 for the first victory each day)
Credits received: 24,178
Battle Achievements: Confederate, Mastery Badge: "Ace Tanker"

Top tank in a tier 8 match. I like this tank as well.

Almost killed three tier 8s, but an IS-3 swooped the third out from under me.
Vanas
Jedi Council Member

Post by Vanas »

Unless they've fixed it, which I doubt, my main issue with the Heavy Churchill is the fact that it can be trivially penetrated from the front if they aim for your tracks. It's incredibly annoying.

Speaking of being penetrated trivially, I sold some dead weight from my tank pile and picked up the JagdPanther II again. And... well, it's redeeming itself. Still very map dependent, still very team dependent, but when you're firefighting from flank to flank in an absurdly mobile portable apocalypse, it's really rather fun.
According to wikipedia, "the Mohorovičić discontinuity is the boundary between the Earth's crust and the mantle."
According to Starbound, it's a problem solvable with enough combat drugs to turn you into the Incredible Hulk.
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

My nearest tank to what that sounds like was the 3601. None of my current line up are very mobile, though they do pack the firepower.

EDIT: Correction, I do still have the ELC, and provided I don't get hit, that thing is a fast little death machine. There is something about being a threat to Tier 8's in a Tier 5 (without using gold like the pre-nerf VK 2801) that is nice :P
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Man, I feel validated. A Panther II just accused me of being a gold round using wallet warrior because I poked a bunch of holes in him with the E8 ;)
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
Vanas
Jedi Council Member

Post by Vanas »

I'm pretty sure that no-where on a Panther II is armoured enough, especially the sides. Possibly the upper glacis might stop a few things, if angled.
According to wikipedia, "the Mohorovičić discontinuity is the boundary between the Earth's crust and the mantle."
According to Starbound, it's a problem solvable with enough combat drugs to turn you into the Incredible Hulk.
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

I didn't have much trouble, yeah: I basically aimed at the side and everything went through. Of course the DPS was too low to actually win that duel, but still ;)

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
xthetenth
Jedi Master

Post by xthetenth »

I hear the PII upper glacis is decently bouncy against lower tiers.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Weee! after a litany of having the second kill shot snaffled from under my nose, or just not being able to get the angle at the critical moment, my Centurion 1 finally gets its Lehväslaiho's. We even won, which we didn't when I got a Radley Walters with it. Also, pushing 2000 damage in a tier X battle where the top 7 on each side were tier X and there were only two Tier VIII, I love the 20 pdr, anything less than the front of an E-100 or Maus might as well be made of cheese. (the last kill was through the front of an E-50M, stopping him resetting me and the IS-4 that had made it to the cap).
Vanas
Jedi Council Member

Post by Vanas »

xthetenth wrote:I hear the PII upper glacis is decently bouncy against lower tiers.
It can be, but you'll really have to be angled to achieve much better than 'maybe'. This is a major/crippling flaw in the JP II.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Vanas wrote:I'm pretty sure that no-where on a Panther II is armoured enough, especially the sides. Possibly the upper glacis might stop a few things, if angled.
100mm and a good slope means that the Panther II's ufp is going to stop the terrible guns of an Easy 8 cold. From the sides you'll get through, but from the front, well, get to the sides.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Also, my router obviously decided that I was having too much fun winning at tier 10 and completely shat the bed, leading to me spending the next half an hour figuring out that it was a firmly ex-router and hooking up my old one, then finding out that that was working but refused to do any actual routing so needed a factory reset.
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

New Map

Hmm...well, it looks better than Dragon Ridge at least. Though with how much I hated that map, that isn't saying much.
Esquire
Jedi Council Member

Post by Esquire »

I never really got the Dragon Ridge hate. I've had some good times on that map...
“Heroes are heroes because they are heroic in behavior, not because they won or lost.” Nassim Nicholas Taleb
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

I tend to strongly dislike it, since the only times I get on it are in either:

A. Arty, which has difficulty hitting anything.

or

B. KV-Line heavies. Who do not do well with hills.

Its more frustration than hate really.
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Vendetta wrote: 100mm and a good slope means that the Panther II's ufp is going to stop the terrible guns of an Easy 8 cold. From the sides you'll get through, but from the front, well, get to the sides.
Wait, since when is the E8's gun terrible? It pokes holes in things two tiers higher, and goes right through anything of an equal tier including monsters like the KV-1S, fires fast and is accurate. It's one of the best guns I've played with!

Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

The main problems with it:
-Low alpha strike
-Penetration conspicuously inferior to SOME (not all) of what's out there at its tier.

Both these problems are normal in a medium tank, but they lead to frustration. Almost any gun that doesn't have a reliable chance of penetrating the frontal armor of its 'worst enemy' will cause that, and for the E8, the 'worst enemy' that is encountered often enough to be very memorable is probably a Tier 7 heavy.

EDIT:
I think the perception of the M1A2 gun is also hurt by the fact that it sits on a tank chassis VERY unsuited for exchanging fire. Obviously that's not what you want to be doing in a Sherman anyway, but it's a reality that sometimes exchanges of fire get forced on you. Because the Sherman's defense is weak (big target, thin armor), a lot of users will be conscious of "I can't kill him before he kills me in a fair fight," and blame it on the gun when the problem is the defensive stats.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

I find that this only happens to me if I insist on fighting it out - the E8 is nimble enough to disengage most of the time if you can't duke it out. So you just scurry over to another position and poke holes in other people.

Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

You're right about optimal tactics, as a rule; the big problem is that a lot of people have trouble disengaging like they should. I know I do. Sometimes lingering for a few extra seconds can mean a 200-damage hit that changes the whole dynamic of the match; sometimes you're two or three enemy reload cycles from good cover... sigh.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
xt828
Padawan Learner

Post by xt828 »

Defeat
Battle: Fisherman's Bay Wednesday, 27 March 2013 9:26:51 PM
Vehicle: Matilda
Experience received: 1,993
Credits received: 19,725
Battle Achievements: Top Gun, Sniper, Defender, Mastery Badge: "1st Class"

I got 7 kills, and almost got the last guy - an M8A1 got in behind me and Matildas get out-turned by small ships. I do like this tank a lot.
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Simon_Jester wrote:You're right about optimal tactics, as a rule; the big problem is that a lot of people have trouble disengaging like they should. I know I do. Sometimes lingering for a few extra seconds can mean a 200-damage hit that changes the whole dynamic of the match; sometimes you're two or three enemy reload cycles from good cover... sigh.
Yeah, well...shit happens. You can get ammo racked in a heavy slugger, too: I know I have frustratingly common situations where shot 1 tracks me, shot 2 kills the loader and shot 3 racks me, so it's not just the E8 which can get boned even if you use proper tactics with it.

But fortunately the matches are short and you are not forced to sit a match out once blown up :D

Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

PeZook wrote:
Vendetta wrote: 100mm and a good slope means that the Panther II's ufp is going to stop the terrible guns of an Easy 8 cold. From the sides you'll get through, but from the front, well, get to the sides.
Wait, since when is the E8's gun terrible? It pokes holes in things two tiers higher, and goes right through anything of an equal tier including monsters like the KV-1S, fires fast and is accurate. It's one of the best guns I've played with!
The M1A2 76mm has the worst penetration, damage and accuracy of any tier 6 medium's top gun, and whilst it might be joint worst with the Type 58 in penetration, that gets 45 more damage and .38 accuracy rather than .4. The only advantage it has is rate of fire. It goes through a KV-1S because the 1S has no armour worth speaking of anywhere except the turret, it being the same as the KV-1 but a tier higher.
Imperial528
Jedi Council Member

Post by Imperial528 »

PeZook wrote: Wait, since when is the E8's gun terrible? It pokes holes in things two tiers higher, and goes right through anything of an equal tier including monsters like the KV-1S, fires fast and is accurate. It's one of the best guns I've played with!
Well, the 1s isn't exactly armored. Hell the T14 has an easier time penetrating a 1s than it does a KV-1. The M1A2 gun can be frustrating to me in my E2, but fortunately the E2 is well armored enough to sit there and slug it out. My main problems with it though are accuracy.
PeZook wrote:
Yeah, well...shit happens. You can get ammo racked in a heavy slugger, too: I know I have frustratingly common situations where shot 1 tracks me, shot 2 kills the loader and shot 3 racks me, so it's not just the E8 which can get boned even if you use proper tactics with it.

But fortunately the matches are short and you are not forced to sit a match out once blown up :D
My first match in the T34 I bought yesterday a hellcat ammo-racked me and killed one of my loaders in one shot. Yeah, it really sucked.
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Vendetta wrote: The M1A2 76mm has the worst penetration, damage and accuracy of any tier 6 medium's top gun, and whilst it might be joint worst with the Type 58 in penetration, that gets 45 more damage and .38 accuracy rather than .4. The only advantage it has is rate of fire. It goes through a KV-1S because the 1S has no armour worth speaking of anywhere except the turret, it being the same as the KV-1 but a tier higher.

Perhaphs, but being the worst of excellent competition still doesn't make it terrible, especially when coupled with the E8's awesome soft stats. It does its job perfectly well.
Imperial528 wrote: Well, the 1s isn't exactly armored. Hell the T14 has an easier time penetrating a 1s than it does a KV-1. The M1A2 gun can be frustrating to me in my E2, but fortunately the E2 is well armored enough to sit there and slug it out. My main problems with it though are accuracy.
The points is that it's one of the deadliest, most dangerous Tier VI heavies you can encounter, and you can fight it just fine. Sure, there are Tier VIs with thicker skin, but these are also slow and thus easily avoided.

Imperial528
Jedi Council Member

Post by Imperial528 »

Eh, the 1s is dangerous if you let it be. I usually don't.

Anyway, just had this nice one:

Victory!
Battle: Malinovka Wednesday, March 27, 2013 8:28:13 AM
Vehicle: T14
Experience received: 2,250 (x2 for the first victory each day)
Credits received: 30,087
Battle Achievements: Top Gun

27k profit from 7 kills. All the credits!