World of Tanks Mark 2

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Re: World of Tanks Mark 2

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Playing around with the Long 107mm on the KV-4 is proving interesting. I'm having to re-adjust my play-style now that I have a fairly accurate gun that can pen a lot better than the D-25T. Its nice, but takes some getting used to. On the plus side I have 100k plus XP to get used to it before unlocking the ST-1 :P
SDNW5: Republic of Arcadia...Sweden in SPAAACE
The Infidel
Jedi Master

Post by The Infidel »

Victory!
Battle: Province 9. mars 2013 13:35:50
Vehicle: BT-2
Experience received: 889
Credits received: 11 094
Battle Achievements: Top Gun

6 kills, 3 more damaged. Spotted 7 and 7 got damage by my spotting.
Oh yes, BT-2 is still my favorite small tier.
Where am I at in the post apocalypse draft? When do I start getting picks? Because I want this guy. This guy right here. I will regret not being able to claim the quote, "The first I noticed while burning weed, so I burned it, aiming at its head first. It wriggled for about 10 seconds. Too long... I then fetched an old machete [+LITERALLY ANYTHING]"
- Raw Shark on my slug hunting
Esquire
Jedi Council Member

Post by Esquire »

The BT-2 is also one of the few tanks that can successfully pull off the 'circle of death.' For that alone, I love it - few things are as fun as driving merrily around an AMX-40 and putting shells into the back of its turret with impunity. Goddamn indestructible ducks. :D
“Heroes are heroes because they are heroic in behavior, not because they won or lost.” Nassim Nicholas Taleb
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

BT-2 will never meet the AMX-40 because tier 2 tanks only matchmake into level 2 and 3 battles. The BT-7 can meet the AMX-40, but there are so many tier 4s that can now effortlessly kill the '40 that you probably won't have time to do the death circle.

Also, apparently the PzI Ausf. C is the new king of low tiers.
The Infidel
Jedi Master

Post by The Infidel »

Vendetta wrote:Also, apparently the PzI Ausf. C is the new king of low tiers.
Well, I have both now. BT-2 has 40hp/ton while Pz1C has around 20, but higher top speed. The ZiS-19 of the BT-2 has great penetration for a tier II while nothing the Pz1C has penetrates that much at tier III, but that machine gun destroys target fast when it does. Besides, it's stressful being in an environment full of bullets, even if most ding, and the Mauser can provide excactly that. It's perfect for creating a distraction and flanking while more heavies move in for the kill.

I admit that I haven't played that many games with it yet. so I'm still working on what works and what don't with it.
Where am I at in the post apocalypse draft? When do I start getting picks? Because I want this guy. This guy right here. I will regret not being able to claim the quote, "The first I noticed while burning weed, so I burned it, aiming at its head first. It wriggled for about 10 seconds. Too long... I then fetched an old machete [+LITERALLY ANYTHING]"
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

I haven't bothered getting the Ausf C yet. I'm perfectly fine beating up Pubbies with the basic Pz I. Nothing special gun-wise, but I mantain that it is still a little murder wagon when used well.
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Ghetto EDIT: And this

Victory!
Battle: Province Saturday, March 09, 2013 7:59:35 PM
Vehicle: Pz.Kpfw. I
Experience received: 939
Credits received: 11,030
Battle Achievements: Patrol Duty

Is why I say its a murder machine. 5 kills, and if someone hadn't gotten a shot off before me it would have been a Top Gun. This is now my favorite tank, period.
Esquire
Jedi Council Member

Post by Esquire »

Vendetta wrote:<snip>
Huh. Coulda sworn that was with the BT-2... guess I was wrong. Thanks for the correction!
“Heroes are heroes because they are heroic in behavior, not because they won or lost.” Nassim Nicholas Taleb
The Infidel
Jedi Master

Post by The Infidel »

Skywalker_T-65 wrote:Ghetto EDIT: And this

Victory!
Battle: Province Saturday, March 09, 2013 7:59:35 PM
Vehicle: Pz.Kpfw. I
Experience received: 939
Credits received: 11,030
Battle Achievements: Patrol Duty

Is why I say its a murder machine. 5 kills, and if someone hadn't gotten a shot off before me it would have been a Top Gun. This is now my favorite tank, period.
Hm, maybe I should give it a try. The Mauser of the Pz1C could use a bit more penetration. I keep shooting at stuff and do no damage. How is it compared to PzII? I sold that because I couldn't pen much with it.
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

The top gun on the Pz I is (IIRC) the Breda auto-cannon that you can get on the Loltraktor. It's weaker than the PzII, though it does shoot faster. The main advantage is you NEVER see Tier 3 tanks. I have always been in Tier 1-2 battles, whereas (IIRC) with the Pz II I would see more Tier 3 tanks than Tier 1 tanks.

You can't pen a lot of things at long range, so its much more a brawler. Which is probably why I'm so good at it, since that's my style of play.

EDIT: Hilariously, if you look at the WoT wiki, it is obvious that people REALLY dislike the Pz I-basic (as I'm now calling it) considering all it has is pros/cons and more of the latter. Evidently people aren't willing to put the time into learning to play it (with all its flaws...I don't deny its flawed), since the AWESOMEZ SAUCE Pz I Ausf C. is apparently much more fun. :roll:

EDIT Zwei: This compared to the Ausf C. which already has a full page. None of the Brit Tanks went that fast.

And people really don't like the new variation on the Pz II evidently, since THAT thing doesn't even have as much as the Pz I-basic.
Nephtys
Sith Acolyte

Post by Nephtys »

Holy...

The Vortex Empire
Jedi Council Member

Post by The Vortex Empire »

I remember when those weren't uncommon. Those weren't good times...
The Infidel
Jedi Master

Post by The Infidel »

Nephtys wrote:Holy...
...Crap! :shock: I think it is painful when there are 4 arties on each side. That was just... Horror from above. I noticed that scout of yours did well. He probably had a field day. As a top tier, how did you survive?

I bet their arty had a frustrating day. So much firepower and not many to spot anything. Oh, did I just answer my own question? :?
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

You know what I just LOVE about this game? When some idiot in a Lowe reports you for sniping them when they are sitting not even 50 meters from you and not bothering to look in your direction until you shoot them twice :banghead:

Just because you're in a SPEHSUL premium tank doesn't mean you can report someone for putting holes in it. Freakin cry-baby.

I mean, I was so close its debatable if it even counts as sniping. Ugh.
Nephtys
Sith Acolyte

Post by Nephtys »

The Infidel wrote:
Nephtys wrote:Holy...
...Crap! :shock: I think it is painful when there are 4 arties on each side. That was just... Horror from above. I noticed that scout of yours did well. He probably had a field day. As a top tier, how did you survive?

I bet their arty had a frustrating day. So much firepower and not many to spot anything. Oh, did I just answer my own question? :?
The instant the game started, our BatChat raced across the field, spotted every enemy while me and another T110 picked them off from across the field. Then, we rolled up and managed to get half of them before they loaded their guns.

The entire battle must have lasted 2 minutes.
Xess
Jedi Knight

Post by Xess »

Skywalker_T-65 wrote:You know what I just LOVE about this game? When some idiot in a Lowe reports you for sniping them when they are sitting not even 50 meters from you and not bothering to look in your direction until you shoot them twice :banghead:

Just because you're in a SPEHSUL premium tank doesn't mean you can report someone for putting holes in it. Freakin cry-baby.

I mean, I was so close its debatable if it even counts as sniping. Ugh.
I do not understand this complaint. How can someone report you for sniping?
Image[
FSTargetDrone
Emperor's Hand

Post by FSTargetDrone »

Xess wrote:I do not understand this complaint. How can someone report you for sniping?
He can't but he can whine about it in chat. Much as people whine that you use gold rounds against them.
The Vortex Empire
Jedi Council Member

Post by The Vortex Empire »

Or whine that you're hacking when you bounce one of their gold rounds.
Xess
Jedi Knight

Post by Xess »

Whining I understand. What I don't understand is why Skywalker said "reported" rather than "whined". I mean someone whining because you killed them isn't exactly as anger inducing as he makes it seems.
Image[
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

He literally said 'KV-4 Reported'. I don't know how you check that, or I would to see if it was just useless whining.

And being as I was the only KV-4 on either side, it was obviously me he was talking about.

EDIT: And I blame the fact I was still half-asleep at the time for the angry-ness of the post. I've pretty much mellowed out about the whole situation by now.

*shrug*

EDIT Zwei: This does show that me half-asleep and playing WoT=extremely cranky and likely to fly off the anger-rails :P
xt828
Padawan Learner

Post by xt828 »

Skywalker_T-65 wrote:He literally said 'KV-4 Reported'. I don't know how you check that, or I would to see if it was just useless whining.

And being as I was the only KV-4 on either side, it was obviously me he was talking about.

EDIT: And I blame the fact I was still half-asleep at the time for the angry-ness of the post. I've pretty much mellowed out about the whole situation by now.

*shrug*

EDIT Zwei: This does show that me half-asleep and playing WoT=extremely cranky and likely to fly off the anger-rails :P
There can be a lot of useless whining. When the Jagdpanther II first came out, I killed the first one I encountered by hiding in a bush and punping rounds into its enormous lower glacis, and got reported for hacking and then had to endure rants about hacking and gold ammo for the rest of the game.
Temjin
Jedi Council Member

Post by Temjin »

xt828 wrote:There can be a lot of useless whining. When the Jagdpanther II first came out, I killed the first one I encountered by hiding in a bush and punping rounds into its enormous lower glacis, and got reported for hacking and then had to endure rants about hacking and gold ammo for the rest of the game.
Don't you know? Not pumping round after round into a tank strongest armour, and *GASP* actually aiming for weakspots on a tank obviously means that you're a gold-round-using pay-to-win noob.

On another note, has there been any actual confirmed hacks in this game? From what I understand, this game is pretty much unhackable since so much is done server side. You'd never realise it though from all the bitching and the cries of "invisi-hax!" that gets thrown out.
"A mind is like a parachute. It only works when it is open."
-Sir James Dewar

Life should have a soundtrack.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

The closest I've ever heard were a couple of graphics patches that... one is slightly gamey, the other very gamey.

Hitbox skins for tanks, which effectively paint a bullseye on the tank and say "aim here," aren't against the rules and don't actually do anything that I'd call cheating as such. But they're a little bit gamey; in realistic-ish life armored vehicles don't come with weak spots highlighted in red.

The worse one I heard about was before my time in the game. You know how shells sometimes have visible white streaks of 'tracer' behind them? Artillery had that, and it was one way to spot where artillery fire was coming from. Then someone made up a downloadable graphics patch that made artillery shell tracks into these rainbow-colored neon things that hung in the air for something like thirty seconds, which made it far too easy to spot and counterbattery.

And that's why Wargaming disabled visible shell flight paths for artillery; it was to shut that down.

Aside from that? Can't think of anything.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

There are a few others.

There's one that paints lasers from all the enemy tanks so you can tell exactly where they're aiming.

And one that makes destroyed vehicles go see through so you can better aim at live tanks behind them.

Both of those are cheating though, and apparently 8.4 is starting to check for things like that and shell tracer mods. (Shell tracers are still visible, even for arty, they're just much shorter and faster moving now).
White Haven
Sith Acolyte

Post by White Haven »

I was so fucking pissed when they killed shell trails to get at the counterbattery mod...because I just used them for actual, manual counterbattery fire. Sure, it wasn't anything like as point-whory as just lancing idiot tanks stopped out in the open, ut I enjoyed running counterbattery back when I used to play arty.
Chronological Incontinence: Time warps around the poster. The thread topic winks out of existence and reappears in 1d10 posts.

Out of Context Theatre, this week starring Darth Nostril.
-'If you really want to fuck with these idiots tell them that there is a vaccine for chemtrails.'

Fiction!: The Final War (Bolo/Lovecraft) (Ch 7 9/15/11), Living (D&D, Complete)Image