Nexus 7

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

The Kernel
Emperor's Hand

Re: Nexus 7

Post by The Kernel »

phongn wrote: I managed to get ICS on my Nexus One; it looks like Mattias Duarte's influence is firmly here. Now, if only the app developers can abandon the hidden menu and use the Action Bar sensibly ...
Google has only themselves to blame--they took their sweet ass time in developing a coherent UI framework that matches the Apple HIG. Worse still the fact that Android 4.x has such a small install base means that no matter how awesome Jellybean is it might be 12 months or more before its running on a significant number of devices.

Really Google needs to solve the update problem and solve it fast. Microsoft and Apple have managed to do it and even though I know that Google loves to tout how customizable Android is, it is clear that the OEMs don't have a damn clue what they are doing and need to be roped in. If I were them I'd create two tracks: if an OEM wants to take the open source Android approach then fine, but they have to ship the baseline Android that can accept updates from a single master image to receive Android certification and use the "Android Compatible" certification sticker or whatever.
Executor32
Jedi Council Member
Location: In a Georgia courtroom, watching a spectacle unfold

Post by Executor32 »

The Kernel wrote:
Executor32 wrote:
The Kernel wrote:If you are using the CDMA Sprint/Verizon model you should get an OTA update in the next few days.
Sprint maybe, but Verizon? The Verizon GNex never even saw 4.0.3, and 4.0.4 didn't hit until a full two months after the GSM version. I expect we won't see an OTA JB update until at least September, if not longer, unless the update file gets 'leaked' again like 4.0.4.
Nope, the issue that held updates from Verizon before has been resolved. The build for Verizon has been brought into the mainline CDMA build and is in fact already available at the link I posted.
While it's true that the driver binaries are available, and with them you can compile a fully functional AOSP build, there is no JB factory image available yet for the Verizon GNex. The real issue at Verizon, AFAIK, has always been that they require their own testing of updates before rolling them out to any device, and they're notoriously slow about it.
どうして?お前が夜に自身お触れるから。
Long ago in a distant land, I, Aku, the shape-shifting Master of Darkness, unleashed an unspeakable evil,
but a foolish samurai warrior wielding a magic sword stepped forth to oppose me. Before the final blow
was struck, I tore open a portal in time and flung him into the future, where my evil is law! Now, the fool
seeks to return to the past, and undo the future that is Aku...
-Aku, Master of Masters, Deliverer of Darkness, Shogun of Sorrow
The Kernel
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Kernel »

Executor32 wrote: While it's true that the driver binaries are available, and with them you can compile a fully functional AOSP build, there is no JB factory image available yet for the Verizon GNex. The real issue at Verizon, AFAIK, has always been that they require their own testing of updates before rolling them out to any device, and they're notoriously slow about it.
Depends on who you ask I suppose. Technically every carrier has this requirement for a phone that is sold and supported by them through their sales channel, although there have been exceptions made (Apple and now Microsoft).

We shall see how it plays out. Google seems confident that they will be able to push it but I suppose there's always the possibility that Verizon will intervene to fuck their customers over.
JLTucker
BANNED

Post by JLTucker »

phongn wrote:
The Kernel wrote:Not exactly. Previously Google Nav was able to cache "dogbones" (routes along with the visible slivers of vector data around them) so it could handle outages along route but it couldn't generate entirely new routes in out-of-coverage conditions.

Now there is a manual capability to save an area to the device so that you can still get navigate when you don't have data coverage much like a traditional PND. This is also useful for tablets like the Nexus 7 since they don't have cellular data.
Does the device then recalculate the route so long as the map data is available?
It recalculated the route for me when I went to the supermarket.
JLTucker
BANNED

Post by JLTucker »

I really hate the shortcut to take screenshots. It's a pain to hit the lock button + volume down. What was wrong with the lock button + home?

Here are some screens of the keyboard in landscape and portrait mode.
http://i670.photobucket.com/albums/vv69 ... -28-37.png
http://i670.photobucket.com/albums/vv69 ... 33edit.png

Also, some screens of Final Fantasy 3 and Riptide GP.

http://i670.photobucket.com/albums/vv69 ... -40-13.png
http://i670.photobucket.com/albums/vv69 ... -40-24.png
http://i670.photobucket.com/albums/vv69 ... -40-32.png
http://i670.photobucket.com/albums/vv69 ... -41-00.png
http://i670.photobucket.com/albums/vv69 ... -47-24.png
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

The Kernel wrote:Google has only themselves to blame--they took their sweet ass time in developing a coherent UI framework that matches the Apple HIG. Worse still the fact that Android 4.x has such a small install base means that no matter how awesome Jellybean is it might be 12 months or more before its running on a significant number of devices.
You mean "they took their sweet time hiring someone who know what they were doing"? ;) At least there's ActionBarSherlock to backport the new UI to older versions.
Really Google needs to solve the update problem and solve it fast. Microsoft and Apple have managed to do it and even though I know that Google loves to tout how customizable Android is, it is clear that the OEMs don't have a damn clue what they are doing and need to be roped in. If I were them I'd create two tracks: if an OEM wants to take the open source Android approach then fine, but they have to ship the baseline Android that can accept updates from a single master image to receive Android certification and use the "Android Compatible" certification sticker or whatever.
They're working on it (the new PDK, earlier access to development, etc.) but pretty much they're screwed with the whole ecosystem. OEMs are not going to abandon their differentiators.
The Kernel wrote:Depends on who you ask I suppose. Technically every carrier has this requirement for a phone that is sold and supported by them through their sales channel, although there have been exceptions made (Apple and now Microsoft).

We shall see how it plays out. Google seems confident that they will be able to push it but I suppose there's always the possibility that Verizon will intervene to fuck their customers over.
Didn't the carriers fuck Microsoft over with WP7 updates, despite early promises and assurances?
The Kernel
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Kernel »

phongn wrote: They're working on it (the new PDK, earlier access to development, etc.) but pretty much they're screwed with the whole ecosystem. OEMs are not going to abandon their differentiators.
That's why the way to deal with it is to come up with a "True Android" certification or some such nonsense. This is not that hard of a problem to solve if Google is willing to play a little hardball. The OEMs could still produce custom product but they wouldn't get the "True Android" sticker and would rightfully be at a competitive disadvantage over it.
Didn't the carriers fuck Microsoft over with WP7 updates, despite early promises and assurances?
Yes which is exactly why Microsoft got special dispensation (a la Apple) going forward to manager their own updates, at least for enthusiasts.
JLTucker
BANNED

Post by JLTucker »

For some reason, the Nexus won't read large images. A 3mb image won't load. Neither will a 5mb image. I had to re-size the photo and bring it down to below 2mb. Resolution appears to play a part as well. I have no idea why this is.
Terralthra
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Terralthra »

I just flashed up to JB on my Galaxy Nexus. It's significantly zippier there as well.
JLTucker
BANNED

Post by JLTucker »

I was out at an electronics store yesterday looking at other Android tablets. At least five people overheard me talking about the Nexus and they asked me questions for like 20 minutes. They had been looking for it everywhere and were riveted when I offered my praise. Five people certainly isn't enough data to show that there are a lot of people interested in picking it up, but I liked that a few cared enough to listen to what I had to say.
JLTucker
BANNED

Post by JLTucker »

I forgot to add that I have another negative: Google Now is a cool concept, but useless when there aren't many free wi-fi hotspots in some areas. Finding bus stops and routes isn't going to help me if I'm on the side of the road with no connection.
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

I have to say, the voic for Google Now is much less stilted and artificial than Siri, for some reason.

Also, the Nexus 7 seems to be out of stock on the Google Play store. Good sign, I guess. I got the 16GB for my Birthday, and compared to the Xoom it runs buttery smooth.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
JLTucker
BANNED

Post by JLTucker »

Lonestar wrote:I have to say, the voic for Google Now is much less stilted and artificial than Siri, for some reason.

Also, the Nexus 7 seems to be out of stock on the Google Play store. Good sign, I guess. I got the 16GB for my Birthday, and compared to the Xoom it runs buttery smooth.
Yeah. I like the Google Voice search. it actually sounds pleasant to listen to.

I did not know about the 16gb model being sold out at the Google store. That's pretty cool. I knew that Gamestop wouldn't receive more shipments until August, though.

I wish there were more cases available for the tablet. The one at the Google Play store isn't yet available for purchase. And if has that magnet cover feature, there could be lawsuits. Apple has a patent on that, from what I've read.

charlemagne
Jedi Knight

Post by charlemagne »

I got a Kindle Fire as a christmas gift from my workplace last year and it's pretty usable once you flash CM7 or CM9 (anything is better than the awful Amazon skin). Of course now I wish it was a Nexus 7, not a Fire :D

But yeah, Android is usable and pretty enough on its own by now. I replaced my Galaxy S with a Galaxy S3 last week and after 2 hours I was so fed up with the uglyness of Samsung's Touchwiz that I immediately went (back) to CM9. Every gadget geek I know is fed up with custom skins by Samsung, HTC, Motorola and the insanely slow official update process this means. Not everyone is comfortable with rooting and flashing their brand new phones.

On the other hand, if you want the pure Android experience, you can just get Nexus devices. I just didn't get a Galaxy Nexus because my contract was up in summer, and the S3 is the hotter phone in town ;)
JLTucker
BANNED

Post by JLTucker »

Well, I have been experiencing hardware problems. When holding the device in portrait mode, the left side of the screen creaks and feels like it has risen out of its enclosure. When you press down on that area, even slightly, there's a light bleed. I can't capture it on video, unfortunately. It is very noticeable when playing games, especially Final Fantasy 3.

I called Google and they are promptly shipping out an advanced replacement free of charge. It is new and not refurbished. It was a very quick process to get this handled, taking less than 20 minutes. I have to give them credit for handling this situation professionally and without hassle.