Medal of Honor

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Stark
Emperor's Hand

Re: Medal of Honor

Post by Stark »

So.... what? We're talking about meaningful weapon choices, not 'I'm hardcore cause I use bolty railguns'.

Vietcong even had a great looting system too. Its a shame shooters are so conservative.
Edward Yee
Sith Devotee

Post by Edward Yee »

Just including MGS3 as an example of a game also using the 20-rounders. In W@W I got the sense that the bolt rifles also had one-hit kills to the chest unlike the semiauto rifles, hence why I tended to use that... but I do agree with the idea of "generic weapon category" with purely visual/name differences, or of a weapon with several substantial variant differences.

By the way, Hawkeye, I'd try Op7 again but right now it seems to crash whenever I try to get into a match running it on Windows 7. :(

One comment I've seen blamed CoD4 for the shooter genre becoming so "bog-standard corridor shooter" due to its success..
"Yee's proposal is exactly the sort of thing I would expect some Washington legal eagle to do. In fact, it could even be argued it would be unrealistic to not have a scene in the next book of, say, a Congressman Yee submit the Yee Act for consideration. :D" - bcoogler on this

"My crystal ball is filled with smoke, and my hovercraft is full of eels." - Bayonet

Stark: "You can't even GET to heaven. You don't even know where it is, or even if it still exists."
SirNitram: "So storm Hell." - From the legendary thread
CaptHawkeye
Sith Devotee

Post by CaptHawkeye »

Corridor Strollers were running the shooter genre long before CoD showed up. It's just that CoD4 rode on the popularity of the previous games in the series (Remember that Call of Duty 1 and 2 both sold like crazy). It also mated a good basic control design with fast paced action and the rising trend in "tacticool" gameplay. In short, it happened to be in the right place at the right time.

Man thinking about the original games in the series makes me nostalgic. I remember when Call of Duty was about some guys fighting a war and not about international conspiracies and Bond-esque super villains with secret mountain HQs. At least back then it didn't have its head up its ass.
Best care anywhere.
chitoryu12
Jedi Council Member

Post by chitoryu12 »

Of course, now I see people accusing the new Medal of Honor of "ripping off" Modern Warfare for daring to modernize their World War II series. Their argument is bolstered by also having an extremely similar control scheme, never mind that it's a control scheme that works and is relatively easy to learn, and having similar controls eases Call of Duty players into the game better than having to teach them a new control scheme. Probably the same line of thinking for Rock Revolution and Rock Band using the exact same buttons on their guitar controllers as Guitar Hero.
Artemas
Padawan Learner

Post by Artemas »

Stark wrote:No, Vietcong was cool because it had dynamic cover, mood, a variety of old-enough-to-be-interesting weapons and AI that teabagged you while gibbering insanely. The tunnel missions are some of the best shit in a shooter.

That no other FPS ever used dynamic cover is just appalling. Modern FPS cover shooters generally ape third-person styles, which doesn't really work.

What sort of dynamic cover?
Shrooms: It's interesting that the taste of blood is kind of irony.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Your 'crouch' automatically adapted to the height of whatever what in front of you, even when moving, and aiming popped you out. You could hide behind anything, not just designated 'cover sites'. It made the maps very 'interactive', because you could wriggle under trees and use any scrap of map detail to protect yourself instead of mindlessly toggling between 'standing up' and 'exactly half-height'. :)
Edward Yee
Sith Devotee

Post by Edward Yee »

chitoryu12 wrote:Their argument is bolstered by also having an extremely similar control scheme, never mind that it's a control scheme that works and is relatively easy to learn,
I think that one's gonna dog FPS games with ADS for quite some time, though of course fortunately several shooters (i.e. BC2* and MAG) have not suffered for sharing those basics.

* Mighta given it more of a chance, but on PSN the latency seemed pretty bad and I'm not sure I liked the matchmaking... and that sure as hell wasn't a game I was going to play for the single-player.
"Yee's proposal is exactly the sort of thing I would expect some Washington legal eagle to do. In fact, it could even be argued it would be unrealistic to not have a scene in the next book of, say, a Congressman Yee submit the Yee Act for consideration. :D" - bcoogler on this

"My crystal ball is filled with smoke, and my hovercraft is full of eels." - Bayonet

Stark: "You can't even GET to heaven. You don't even know where it is, or even if it still exists."
SirNitram: "So storm Hell." - From the legendary thread
chitoryu12
Jedi Council Member

Post by chitoryu12 »

I wouldn't be surprised if modern war goes the way of World War II for shooters: a slew of bad corridor shooters riding on popular series' coattails kills the time period and we move on to another popular period for a decade. Hell, we might very well circle back to World War II after the modern warfare craze is done.
Ryan Thunder
Village Idiot

Post by Ryan Thunder »

Personally I think they should do a Call of Duty: Paleolithic Warfare, but maybe that's just me.
SDN Worlds 5: Sanctum
Davey
Padawan Learner

Post by Davey »

Ryan Thunder wrote:Personally I think they should do a Call of Duty: Paleolithic Warfare, but maybe that's just me.
If they do, instead of the radio chatter, I vote for them making actors speak in caveman grunts and howls with subtitles, so in the radio chatter's place, we would hear and see:

"Ook ook! Unga bunga ook ook! Grunt grunt!"
Translation: ["Primitive one this is Rock two! Defend the cave, over!"]
"Oh SHIT!" generally means I fucked up.