Anyone fancy a game of Space Empires V?

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Arthur_Tuxedo
Sith Acolyte

Anyone fancy a game of Space Empires V?

Post by Arthur_Tuxedo »

I put up a new game of SE V and wanted to see if anyone was interested. Link is here: http://pbw.spaceempires.net/game/fireandice

The setup is you have two "team leaders" on opposite sides of the map who can recruit team members, but about half the players are "neutrals" who are not on either team, but can make or break any alliances they choose. Since the two warring teams will need to negotiate (or force) their way through neutral space to get at each other, a lot of diplomacy and intrigue will be involved.

Mod is the DJAS mod, v49+, description of which is here:
DJAS mod is built from the Balance Mod (what isn''t?), but completely overhauls the weapons, vehicle sizes, and armor / shields.

Weapons, armor, and shields have quasi-infinite tech trees with 100 levels, but with 2 research Breakthrough techs that usher in powerful new weapons and defenses. The breakthrough techs are expensive, though, so a player must be careful when to research them. Too early and one will be left wide open to an early rush. Too late and you will be facing an opponent with hyper-advanced tech.

A starting player has access to all ship sizes right away, and they all get bigger together. Bigger is not necessarily better, but you will need big, small, and medium ships to win. Every vehicle type is countered by another, and there is no one size that will carry a player to victory by itself.

There are a host of other features in this mod, such as sensor arrays, capital cities for homeworlds, a new take on mines, and a variety of customized mounts.

DJAS now has WORKING AI, so go kick some computer behind!

DJAS now also has racial weapons and armor that progress through all three tech trees, so get your mold on!

Versions labeled 49+ will be savegame compatible with version 49. If a new version is still labeled 49+, you can update without breaking your savegame.

See this thread for ongoing discussion: http://www.spaceempires.net/ftopict-7880.html
Join up if interested!
"I'm so fast that last night I turned off the light switch in my hotel room and was in bed before the room was dark." - Muhammad Ali

"Dating is not supposed to be easy. It's supposed to be a heart-pounding, stomach-wrenching, gut-churning exercise in pitting your fear of rejection and public humiliation against your desire to find a mate. Enjoy." - Darth Wong
Master_Baerne
Jedi Council Member

Re: Anyone fancy a game of Space Empires V?

Post by Master_Baerne »

Color me interested.
Conversion Table:

2000 Mockingbirds = 2 Kilomockingbirds
Basic Unit of Laryngitis = 1 Hoarsepower
453.6 Graham Crackers = 1 Pound Cake
1 Kilogram of Falling Figs - 1 Fig Newton
Time Between Slipping on a Banana Peel and Smacking the Pavement = 1 Bananosecond
Half of a Large Intestine = 1 Semicolon
GuppyShark
Sith Devotee

Post by GuppyShark »

It has been a long time - how is the stability these days?
Nephtys
Sith Acolyte

Post by Nephtys »

Wow, that takes me back. Remember our most epic of all games, that first Star Trek game of SE4? :)

Why, it's like an STGOD that WORKED and ENDED.
atg
Jedi Master

Post by atg »

I have a copy from some steam bundle but have never actually played it. How easy would it be for a complete noob to join in? What is the play like, etc?
Marcus Aurelius: ...the Swedish S-tank; the exception is made mostly because the Swedes insisted really hard that it is a tank rather than a tank destroyer or assault gun
Ilya Muromets: And now I have this image of a massive, stern-looking Swede staring down a bunch of military nerds. "It's a tank." "Uh, yes Sir. Please don't hurt us."
Arthur_Tuxedo
Sith Acolyte

Post by Arthur_Tuxedo »

GuppyShark wrote:It has been a long time - how is the stability these days?
It's pretty good these days. The main problem is dramatic inflation of file size and processing time as the game scales up, but that's more of a problem for me as the host than the players, unless said players are on 56k connections.
atg wrote:I have a copy from some steam bundle but have never actually played it. How easy would it be for a complete noob to join in? What is the play like, etc?
SE V isn't so easy to pick up, and the interface in particular is notorious as one of the worst ever made, but if you team up with another player you can learn pretty quick, and it's one of the most interesting and involving games once you get the hang of it.
"I'm so fast that last night I turned off the light switch in my hotel room and was in bed before the room was dark." - Muhammad Ali

"Dating is not supposed to be easy. It's supposed to be a heart-pounding, stomach-wrenching, gut-churning exercise in pitting your fear of rejection and public humiliation against your desire to find a mate. Enjoy." - Darth Wong
Arthur_Tuxedo
Sith Acolyte

Post by Arthur_Tuxedo »

Whoever is interested should join up as soon as possible. More players attracts people's interest and begets yet more, especially over the weekend when more people have free time to peruse the game list.

Narkis
Padawan Learner

Post by Narkis »

Damned college, I'd love to play in this. Maybe you could start another game in the summer? Like late June/early July summer? Eh, eh?
Spoonist
Jedi Council Member

Post by Spoonist »

Arthur_Tuxedo wrote:Whoever is interested should join up as soon as possible. More players attracts people's interest and begets yet more, especially over the weekend when more people have free time to peruse the game list.
Played some SE III a looong time ago. I would be interested in joining up and be killed by more experienced guys. But where do one get an affordable copy? All I could find was like €20 and no direct download.
Enforcer Talen
Warlock

Post by Enforcer Talen »

I loved SE3; played it full time in high school. How does SEV count on the awesome scale?
This day is Fantastic!
Myers Briggs: ENTJ
Political Compass: -3/-6
DOOMer WoW
"I really hate it when the guy you were pegging as Mr. Worst Case starts saying, "Oh, I was wrong, it's going to be much worse." " - Adrian Laguna
Narkis
Padawan Learner

Post by Narkis »

Spoonist wrote:
Arthur_Tuxedo wrote:Whoever is interested should join up as soon as possible. More players attracts people's interest and begets yet more, especially over the weekend when more people have free time to peruse the game list.
Played some SE III a looong time ago. I would be interested in joining up and be killed by more experienced guys. But where do one get an affordable copy? All I could find was like €20 and no direct download.
Steam has it for €15, or €20 for a SE IV and V pack.
Arthur_Tuxedo
Sith Acolyte

Post by Arthur_Tuxedo »

Enforcer Talen wrote:I loved SE3; played it full time in high school. How does SEV count on the awesome scale?
Depends on who you ask. I think it's the best of the series once you learn to navigate the horrid UI, while other people consider it an abortion and blight on the Malfador name and stick to SE IV (which actually has more problems overall IMO).

I extended the join deadline until a week from today to give interested people a chance to join up.

Uraniun235
Emperor's Hand

Post by Uraniun235 »

I remember the biggest thing I hated about the change from 3 to 4 was that they got rid of the right-click menu.
"There is no "taboo" on using nuclear weapons." -Julhelm
What is Project Zohar?
"On a serious note (well not really) I did sometimes jump in and rate nBSG episodes a '5' before the episode even aired or I saw it." - RogueIce explaining that episode ratings on SDN tv show threads are bunk
GuppyShark
Sith Devotee

Post by GuppyShark »

Reinstalled, patched, registered on the new PBEM site, joined game.

I see there's now a ton of SE5 shipsets, are they proper 3D shipsets? Are there any recommendations ie 'extended shipsets' like in SEIV?
GuppyShark
Sith Devotee

Post by GuppyShark »

Ghetto edit:

I have just used a stock one for now, I like the new racial choices. Ready to upload once approved.