[Hardware Question] On the merits of a Gaming Mouse

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Ypoknons
Jedi Knight

Re: [Hardware Question] On the merits of a Gaming Mouse

Post by Ypoknons »

Don't expect a mouse to improve your game drastically, though I know people who find the DPI buttons useful. The premiums on them aren't so bad unless it's something like the Mamba, get one because it has the features you want and the right ergonomics. I find fwd/back buttons, sensitivity and the Microgear scroll you can flick to be useful - hence my G9 (never got the G9X, if it broke I'd get the G51 because the microgear switch is on the mouse's face).
Vyraeth
Padawan Learner

Post by Vyraeth »

I have both a Razer DeathAdder and a Logitech MX518. The MX518 is cheap (around 35 USD), durable and can be adjusted between 400, 800 and 1800 DPI. I like both mice quite a bit, but if you're looking for something relatively low priced, the MX518 will handle any task you throw at it with ease.

Furthermore, Logitech has great support for its products. I've actually gone through two MX518's since I purchased the original three years ago in 07 (I put my mice through TREMENDOUS stress), and Logitech has replaced all of them free of charge without hassle (you simply reply to a brief technical support query, provide the serial #, and show proof of purchase, you don't even have to send the original back). The warranty, if I recall correctly is good for two years, but I'm not sure how that stacks up to other mice manufacturer's.

As to gaming keyboards, well, I have a G15 which I got from a friend for practically free and I would never pay close to the full price for one. Sure, the keys are durable, but the bulk of the price is in the LCD screen and macro keys. There are quite a few apps for the LCD screen, like a program that shows whose talking on Ventrilo and an RSS reader but for the most part, the apps are frivolous novelties whose appeal wears off rather quickly.

I would never reccomend someone purchase one unless they're sure they'll make use of the keyboard's advanced macro capabities, and even then for most games, standard keyboard bindings are fine.
United Sectors
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

I have a Logitech G5 as have several other people have mentioned I love it to death. It's a 2nd Gen, I use the two side buttons for Teamspeak/Ventrillo/Knife functions. But the sensitivity buttons are where the mouse shines. Switch from sniper low to SMG high in under a second is highly useful. More than anything else I like how the mouse fits my hand and the sensitive function is a great deal.

I've looked at other mice on the market and to be blunt I've yet to see one with some other button or feature I wanted. Now that I've had on the fly sensitive switching I want it on all future mice which means should I break my G5 I'm simply going to buy another.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Dragon Angel
Jedi Knight

Post by Dragon Angel »

There was a small period of time when I used a gaming mouse: a Razer Copperhead (actually, two of them - both are broken now because of some weird flaky USB connection problem). I only ended up using the DPI controls on them, never the extra buttons, and even then I only used the two lowest settings... Your gaming habits may vary of course, but since the second one died I did not have much motivation to buy another gaming mouse. Adjusting the sensitivity controls within each game worked just as fine for me.

I will second "look for ergonomics" though; the Copperhead wasn't TOO bad for my hand, but its design didn't work well for some people I knew.
"I could while away the hours, conferrin' with the flowers, consultin' with the rain.
And my head I'd be scratchin', while my thoughts were busy hatchin', if I only had a brain!
I would not be just a nothin', my head all full of stuffin', my heart all full of pain.
I would dance and be merry, life would be would be a ding-a-derry, if I only had a brain!"
[R_H]
Sith Devotee

Post by [R_H] »

Vympel wrote:I have a first generation Logitech G5, its never let me down, very sturdy, nice features (especially the sensitivity toggle, I use it all the time) and you can just tell it won't break, ever. I also have a gaming keyboard but to be honest I never use its features. The mouse was the important thing, I bought it when my Logitech optical mouse broke.
I have had a G5 for quite some time now, but it doesn't work that well any more and wasn't terribly comfortable. I use an MS Basic Optical mouse now, and it's much more comfortable though it has less buttons (left, right, scrollwheel).
Oskuro
Sith Devotee

Post by Oskuro »

Thanks to everyone for the input. Since my left mouse button has decided to fail more often in the last two days than the right button has failed in the last few months, I think tomorrow I'll go and get a new mouse. In the end it'll probably depend on what the retailers I visit actually have in stock, and the price tags, so we'll see what aberration of technology I bring home.
unsigned
Teleros
Jedi Council Member

Post by Teleros »

Dunno if I'm too late, but I'd also recommend the Logitech G5 mouse.
Jade Falcon
Jedi Council Member

Post by Jade Falcon »

I've got an MX518 on Alyeska's recommendation when we used to play a lot of BF2 and BF2142 together. At that time I needed a new mouse anyway and wanted something comfortable (I've also got large hands), reliable and decent functionality.

The thing is still functioning perfectly, and I never really bothered with cordless mice, so when this does finally go, I don't know what I'll replace it with.
Don't Move you're surrounded by Armed Bastards - Gene Hunt's attempt at Diplomacy

I will not make any deals with you. I've resigned. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own - Number 6

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.
Oskuro
Sith Devotee

Post by Oskuro »

Ok, so I finally got a Trust GTX 14S. My reasoning? At 21€ it was a bit under twice the price of the cheapest mice around (wich were around 12-15€), and still a third or less of the price of other gaming mice (Logitech G9 was at 90€). Even regular Logitech mice were at 30€ or more.

If the G5/G11 had a rational price, I might have considered it, but it was expensive too (and out of stock).

Now, the Trust mouse... Well, I'm not too trusting of the Trust brand (pun intended), and the thing has already locked up my system when the mouse config app has disagreed with my firewall about where it can and can't go (It requires trusted access to reprogram the USB mouse).

Appart from that, good grip, larger than my previous mouse, has two thumb buttons and a DPI selector. We'll see how it performs in the long run. It doesn't look as bad in person as it does in the box, also.
unsigned
Jade Falcon
Jedi Council Member

Post by Jade Falcon »

Well I was told by a friend some years back never to trust a Trust product, but I don't know if that was his personal opinion or a bad reputation. Then again, company reputations can change, I remember when Samsung was perceived as an 'el cheapo' brand in the same way as Alba and Bush.
Don't Move you're surrounded by Armed Bastards - Gene Hunt's attempt at Diplomacy

I will not make any deals with you. I've resigned. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own - Number 6

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.
Oskuro
Sith Devotee

Post by Oskuro »

Actually, the mouse pointer does freeze frome time to time, and if that happens in a game, I lose it for teh duration, yet I can still use the buttons. But since that's only happening in Windows, and my Ubuntu installations have no problems, I think it's more an issue of my Windows installation needing a swift format and reinstall, it's been almost 4 years since the last one.

Join us on the next chapter of Oskuro's quest, when he actually installs Windows 7 and manages to have his box implode.
unsigned
Tolya
Jedi Council Member

Post by Tolya »

When I was shopping for a new mousey many many years ago I met some guy at a hardware store who was desperately trying to convince me that I should buy a non-cordless mouse because its the thing hardcore FPP gamers do and for some reason its so much better. He just couldnt comprehend how a fellow gamer (since we talked about games a bit) could say "I don't bloody care".

And it's the same thing with gaming mice. I was down on the budget at that time and I quickly needed a new mouse. So I bought an used Logitech MX1000 for like 10 bucks and its still running sharp. Has 5 buttons (6 actually, but the thumb window switcher only works in windows with proper software and is useless in games), a 2-dimensional wheel is cordless and rechargeable. I cannot begin to imagine what would a new type of a mouse have to do to get my attention (besides being able to print real money).

The biggest bottleneck in FPP games is the guy before the computer anyway and even the best mouse in the world won't make me better.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Wireless mice don't really have lag anyway, at least none of the ones I have used. My issue with wireless mice these days is failure of the reciever, which is probably just Logitech sucking.

But then again I hate symmetrical mice too, and people keep telling me they're better. I prefer 'for right handed people' giant triangle mice.
Oskuro
Sith Devotee

Post by Oskuro »

....and I'm back on a Win7 box. Still hasn't exploded, but know what? The mouse kept doing the cursor freezing thing even during the installation of the OS, so I'm marching into the retailer this afternoon to change it for a new one.
Is it normal for mice with LEDs to have a burning smell when you plug them in the first time? Because mine might be busted. So much for trusting Trust. :roll:

It is also funny how, when inside a game, the cursor freezes permanently until you exit the game, but the mouse buttons still work. Epic. At least I finally got to upgrade my OS, I had been putting it off for quite a while now.
unsigned
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

Logitech MX518, G5 Revised, or G500. All good mice. MX518 is cheap. G5 Revised is about standard. The G500 is a bit pricey, but still nice. All three mice are built on a common design and share the same shape.

I happen to have the following.

Two MX518s
Original G5
Revised G5
G500

I keep upgrading my mice, and I replaced my MX518 when it broke, then I fixed the broken one.
"If the facts are on your side, pound on the facts. If the law is on your side, pound on the law. If neither is on your side, pound on the table."

"The captain claimed our people violated a 4,000 year old treaty forbidding us to develop hyperspace technology. Extermination of our planet was the consequence. The subject did not survive interrogation."
Oskuro
Sith Devotee

Post by Oskuro »

Got a replacement at the store, and this one seems to be working OK. Once I give a few games a try I'll report on my opinion.
unsigned
Oskuro
Sith Devotee

Post by Oskuro »

I'd better say something before the thread rots away :)

So, mouse working OK, apparently, bless my luck, the first one I got was broken. Awesome.

Now, after playing a bit with it I can confidently say that I'm not at all sold on the idea of gaming mice. The best part is the ergonomics of it (it has a nice grip), but, aside from that, everything else is a bit superfluous. DPI selection is marginally useful, considering that most games where it matters usually compensate for it (as in sniper rifles automatically changing mouse sensibility for aiming), and the two extra thumb buttons I use occasionally, but their positioning is not too good for quick use.

So a conclusive 'meh' on the whole bussiness, thank dawg for my mouse being cheap (Seriously, 90+€ for a mouse? WTF?), and let's hope this one lasts for quite a while.

Again, thanks for all the suggestions.
unsigned
charlemagne
Jedi Knight

Post by charlemagne »

LordOskuro wrote:DPI selection is marginally useful
I've never seen DPI selection as useful for changing in game TBH - I always have it set to max. IMO DPI selection is there so you can tune it down when you need more delicate control, like when manipulating pictures in Photoshop or Gimp - or when someone not used to OVER 9000 DPI uses your computer, like your wife or your mom.