Looking for PC FPS Multiplayer game

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

ArmorPierce
Rabid Monkey
Location: Born and raised in Brooklyn, unfornately presently in Jersey

Looking for PC FPS Multiplayer game

Post by ArmorPierce »

I'm looking to broaden my gaming horizon. Currently I am mostly playing Left 4 Dead 2. So considering that I am able to play that game, are there any other good games that have about the same graphic specs (not anything too outrageous). Any good suggestions of First person shooter PC games that has a strong multiplayer community going?
Brotherhood of the Monkey @( !.! )@
To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift. ~Steve Prefontaine
Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at an Elingsh uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht frist and lsat ltteer are in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by it slef but the wrod as a wlohe.
ArmorPierce
Rabid Monkey

Re: Looking for PC FPS Multiplayer game

Post by ArmorPierce »

Competitive team. I don't know what you mean by tacticool or twitch. If Left 4 dead 2 is tacticool and counterstrike is twitch I am leaning towards twitch but also go ahead and list tacticool.
To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift. ~Steve Prefontaine
Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at an Elingsh uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht frist and lsat ltteer are in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by it slef but the wrod as a wlohe.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Tacticool games are like Rainbow Six etc; high lethality, low mobility, lots of ironsights etc. Twitch games are like Quake and UT; circlestrafing, rocketjumping, constantfiring stuff. L4D is middling in this regard.

Have you consided the newer team-based PC shooters like Section 8 and that other newtonian space one?
Brother-Captain Gaius
Emperor's Hand

Post by Brother-Captain Gaius »

They're a little older, but since you mention L4D and CS, there are the other Source games:

Team Fortress 2 is all-around fun. Day of Defeat (source) is old school team-based objective play. And then there's Half-Life 2 Deathmatch and Counterstrike Source if those are your cup of tea, although I don't know if they'd hold one's interest for very long.

I love R6 Vegas 2, but the multiplayer is unfortunately a bit weak. Although I find it fun, there's not a lot of servers and it tends toward the laggy side of things.
Agitated asshole | (Ex)40K Nut | Metalhead
The vision never dies; life's a never-ending wheel
1337 posts as of 16:34 GMT-7 June 2nd, 2003

"'He or she' is an agenderphobic microaggression, Sharon. You are a bigot." ― Randy Marsh
ArmorPierce
Rabid Monkey

Post by ArmorPierce »

Aww I see, I assumed it would mean how team relying it is. I guess either one is good, preferably with a learning curve isn not that incredibly high (Section 8 seems like learning curve is kind of high). My exposure to FPS has been pretty limited so no, I am looking up section 8 on youtube right now.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Section 8 uses many of the 'newer' (ps from the 90s but showing a resurgence) FPS features, including the way it handles objectives, classes and spawns. I'm not sure what other FPSs I've played are actually on PC... :)
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Bad Company 2
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/demo- ... -bad/61773
I can't hype this game up enough. It's from the Battlefield guys, it's got all the humor of the first Xbox360 PC only version they put in, plus a damn fine multiplayer shooter.

Examples
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ex12fxhtumk
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/rainb ... -bad/35622

First off it's a Battlefield game so it's mod friendly (Which means look for decent mods to pick the game back up a year from now) second it's actually friendly to tournaments, clans and what not unlike Modern Warfare 2 . It's good solid clean stuff, and did I mention you can blow up almost everything?

Nothing says good clean fun like blowing the supports out of the house that whore of a sniper is camping from and laughing as the whole damn building falls on him.
Last edited by Mr Bean on 2010-02-14 06:12pm, edited 1 time in total.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Artemas
Padawan Learner

Post by Artemas »

Comes out in the beginning or march. Pre-orders get to play the beta.
Shrooms: It's interesting that the taste of blood is kind of irony.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Stark wrote:Oh yeah! BC2 isn't out here yet I don't think. :(
It's March 11th or so before it's released stateside. People who pre-order can get in the Beta or win a ticket in the next draft which there's only one left on the 19th of this month.

It's a little down the way yes, but it's less than a month away and let me say, they are the first ones to realize that unlocks done well are an excellent addition. Unlocks done poorly are shit.

For example the recon class has seven rifles plus the start rifle. Each rifle has it's own strengths and weaknesses and combined with add on choices can change the class play style some but not change it. But to take an example the default m24 is by far the best sniper rifle in the game. IE the gun you start with is the best pure sniper rifle in the game. However the other seven weapons you unlock each have their own strength like the third unlock which is a sniper that has a worse drop than the m24 and a touch less damage but has a much higher muzzle velocity so it's easier to hit targets on the move at medium range. The 2nd unlock is again a rifle that does slightly worse but offers much faster reload times then the m24 so you can use it much more close to the action. Then you get into the three semi-auto sniper rifles and the one full auto-sniper rifle that trade greater ROF for lower damage, accuracy or "handling" which is short hand for how accurate it is when on the move.

Unlike BF2 the damage system has been tweaked, people who are accurate are rewarded. Headshots from most weapons drop you in one shot, but a shotgun blast to the chest can put you down as well. Also shooting someone in the back does more damage them shooting them in the front. The only issue you have is that most shot tend to be arm/leg shots which can take six-seven shots to put someone down. Even if you only need two shots to the chest to put them down you need to not hit those arms. Per one of the dev interviews awhile back the location damage is divided into ten seconds, two arm locations, three leg locations, two chest, two back and the head area. Getting shot in the foot does not do much damage but you get slowed down, while the middle knee does slightly more damage and you get slowed way down for a few seconds. Upper legs don't slow you down as much as feet but do more damage. Arm shots are great because the affect your throw power and accuracy and hand shots seriously mess with your accurasy.

But it's not taticool, none of these effect last for more than about five seconds. *Edit you still take the damage but the secondary effects don't last long.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
JonB
Padawan Learner

Post by JonB »

I'll suggest the S4 League. Free to download, and play. But the extras and very useful stuff east into real money.
Saving the Earth by Trying Not to Blow the Shit Out of It:
Let's Play UFO:Alien Invasion (v2.3.1)
ArmorPierce
Rabid Monkey

Post by ArmorPierce »

I'm reading that section 8 multiplayer population is sort of weak. how much truth is in that?
Mr. Coffee
is an asshole.
Location: And banging your mom is half the battle... G.I. Joe!

Post by Mr. Coffee »

Get yourself a copy of Rainbow Six: Vegas II off Steam and I'll learn you Tacticool gaming. Or let me know your Steam ID (are you in the SDN Steam group?) and I'll run around and kill some zombies with ya in L4D2.
Goddammit, now I'm forced to say in public that I agree with Mr. Coffee. - Mike Wong
I never would have thought I would wholeheartedly agree with Coffee... - fgalkin x2
Honestly, this board is so fucking stupid at times. - Thanas
GALE ForceCarwash: Oh, I'll wax that shit, bitch...
eyexist
Padawan Learner

Post by eyexist »

Mr. Coffee wrote:Get yourself a copy of Rainbow Six: Vegas II off Steam and I'll learn you Tacticool gaming. Or let me know your Steam ID (are you in the SDN Steam group?) and I'll run around and kill some zombies with ya in L4D2.
You play L4D2 Coffee? Bless your heart. I've run into you a few times in-game ArmorPierce (I'm Titty Vampire). I'll second TF2 and add Battlefield 2142. There's a slight learning curve with flying vehicles but I'm confident that you'll be pod killing and head-shotting people from the hip in no time.
Member of the PRFYNAFBTFC - Black Ops Division. Captain of the MFS Linda Lovelace
Rainbows make me cry.
Andrew_Fireborn
Jedi Knight

Post by Andrew_Fireborn »

ArmorPierce wrote:I'm reading that section 8 multiplayer population is sort of weak. how much truth is in that?
At this point, I'd imagine a fair amount of truth. Though the game has full bot integration.

It had a faltering launch, a mediocre reception, and get's pretty repetitive at times. Not to mention they tried to pull a Halo, and made pay-for map packs.

I haven't booted the game up at all since the month I got it.
Rule one of Existance: Never, under any circumstances, underestimate stupidity. As it will still find ways to surprise you.
Coaan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Coaan »

Andrew_Fireborn wrote:
ArmorPierce wrote:I'm reading that section 8 multiplayer population is sort of weak. how much truth is in that?
At this point, I'd imagine a fair amount of truth. Though the game has full bot integration.

It had a faltering launch, a mediocre reception, and get's pretty repetitive at times. Not to mention they tried to pull a Halo, and made pay-for map packs.

I haven't booted the game up at all since the month I got it.
Ayup. Steam and the devs really dropped the ball on S8. Shame really because it could have been a great game.

l4d2 and Vegas 2 are pretty damn good FPS games though, I'll give those a +1
Xcom ; Standing proud and getting horrifically murdered by Chryssalids since 1994
ArmorPierce
Rabid Monkey

Post by ArmorPierce »

eyexist wrote:
Mr. Coffee wrote:Get yourself a copy of Rainbow Six: Vegas II off Steam and I'll learn you Tacticool gaming. Or let me know your Steam ID (are you in the SDN Steam group?) and I'll run around and kill some zombies with ya in L4D2.
You play L4D2 Coffee? Bless your heart. I've run into you a few times in-game ArmorPierce (I'm Titty Vampire). I'll second TF2 and add Battlefield 2142. There's a slight learning curve with flying vehicles but I'm confident that you'll be pod killing and head-shotting people from the hip in no time.
Oh hey Titty Vampire cool to see you in game, fun times :). Coffee I am ArmorPierce login and yes I am in the SDnet group. Hit me up. I'll take a look at some youtube videos and stuff of those games. Right now my nick is pretentious nub. You will recognice me through my picture.
ArmorPierce
Rabid Monkey

Post by ArmorPierce »

correction i have since changed my nick name to 'Coach' for now anyway.