New DC vs. MK gameplay trailer

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Jack Bauer
Jedi Knight

New DC vs. MK gameplay trailer

Post by Jack Bauer »

Still don't know how it'll all turn out...but the trailer does offer a plausible explanation as to why MK characters can go toe-to-toe with the likes of Superman.

GET OVER HERE
Sig by JME2
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

The Superman action was pretty cool. I liked how he was using his powers and the combos. The view points when he was flying were good too.

I'm not real crazy with how far they've taken his "vulnerability" to magic but not necessarily the game makers fault since the comics have been taking it too far for a while anyway. I always thought his vulnerability to magic was supposed to mean that he didn't have an special protection from being changed into a rabbit, or shrunk via magic. Not that all magic can kick his ass just because it's magic.

I thought Batman was a little on the lame side until they demonstrated the up close feature and he did an open palm strike to Sub Zero's nose. :)

Flash looked pretty cool. Cat Woman, not so much.

I still tend to think it would have been better to make this Moral Kombat vs. the Batman Universe. Use the MK characters against Batman, his various allies and maybe throw in some of his villains too. I guess the problem there is that Batman, Nightwing, Robin, Batgirl, Batwoman, Huntress would all probably have virtually the same abilities in the game. Kind of boring.
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Covenant
Sith Marauder

Post by Covenant »

You would have made it Batman, Nightwing, and the Rogue's Gallery. You only need two flavors of com-bat-ants, and then focus the rest on the badguys.

I did like the superhero action though, even if the Mortal Combat parts seem to be pretty stupid, and the action seems pretty choppy (really needs smoother transitions!) the idea of slamming guys through walls is great, and a straight-up Marvel vs. DC game loaded with stuff like that would be completely reasonable. I suppose you could just have an extremely limited amount of stages, each with lots of things like that to let you smash them up, and you'd basically have a fantastic fighting game that's actually different than Streetfighter with Cyclops.
Manus Celer Dei
Jedi Master

Post by Manus Celer Dei »

Is the video available anywhere else? Hulu is still US-only.
"We will build cities in a day!"
"Man would cower at the sight!"
"We will build towers to the heavens!"
"Man was not built for such a height!"
"We will be heroes!"
"We will BUILD heroes!"
[/size][/i]
Jack Bauer
Jedi Knight

Post by Jack Bauer »

http://s235.photobucket.com/albums/ee84 ... okerMK.gif

A nice look at Joker's fatality. Completely in character too.
Sig by JME2
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Jack Bauer wrote:http://s235.photobucket.com/albums/ee84 ... okerMK.gif

A nice look at Joker's fatality. Completely in character too.
That's lame. It should go for the full 'Return of the Joker' routine. The second shot fires the flagpole at lethal velocity. Also the gun has a toy orange tip; for safety.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

The animation in that clip looks really stiff and poorly blended. It doesn't even stand up to last gen fighting games, let alone some of the upcoming ones like Street Fighter IV.

Still, it's Mortal Kombat, so being shit is to be expected.
Molyneux
Emperor's Hand

Post by Molyneux »

"OMG Superman is weak against magic so it's not a sell-out at ALL that MK fighters can stand up to him!"

Sure. That really explains why he's throwing punches instead of cars. :D And not flying. And not still vastly stronger and faster than every character in the MK roster put together. And why Wonder Woman (no weakness there!) is similarly disadvantaged.

Oh, and I just feel the need to mention again that they managed to take the best-looking Catwoman costume in the history of the character, and make it look like unnecessarily cheesecakey shit.

Who the fuck thought it was a good idea to have the top open to the waist? Did they jerk off too many times to MGS3 or something?
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Losonti Tokash
Sith Devotee

Post by Losonti Tokash »

Molyneux wrote:"OMG Superman is weak against magic so it's not a sell-out at ALL that MK fighters can stand up to him!"

Sure. That really explains why he's throwing punches instead of cars. :D And not flying. And not still vastly stronger and faster than every character in the MK roster put together. And why Wonder Woman (no weakness there!) is similarly disadvantaged.
You are the worst sort of person. I know that nerd rage over perceived inaccuracies is sort of your thing, but consider this: I don't give a shit whether Superman's powers are effectively scaled. When I get this, I am not playing a Superman game, where I would expect such a thing. I am playing a fighting game that has Superman in it. I didn't flip out when Wankatine doesn't regenerate from death in Marvel vs Capcom, or Nicole doesn't break all the Dead or Alive characters in half in each match, because I'm smart enough to realize that those are retarded ideas and would make the games unfun.

But ooohhh noooo it's selling out if we balance out the characters in a fighting game, that's just not done. Ever.
Molyneux
Emperor's Hand

Post by Molyneux »

Losonti Tokash wrote:
Molyneux wrote:"OMG Superman is weak against magic so it's not a sell-out at ALL that MK fighters can stand up to him!"

You are the worst sort of person. I know that nerd rage over perceived inaccuracies is sort of your thing, but consider this: I don't give a shit whether Superman's powers are effectively scaled. When I get this, I am not playing a Superman game, where I would expect such a thing. I am playing a fighting game that has Superman in it. I didn't flip out when Wankatine doesn't regenerate from death in Marvel vs Capcom, or Nicole doesn't break all the Dead or Alive characters in half in each match, because I'm smart enough to realize that those are retarded ideas and would make the games unfun.

But ooohhh noooo it's selling out if we balance out the characters in a fighting game, that's just not done. Ever.
So you're saying you don't mind if they strip out everything that makes him Superman, as long as they can effectively shoehorn him into yet another shitty Mortal 'wi kant spel gud' Kombat game.

To be honest, I doubt I would be as harsh on this if it were a 'Street Fighter vs. DC' or 'Super Smash Bros. vs. DC' game. MK has yet to make a game that was not utter excrement, and this promises to be more in the same vein.

Given that we haven't seen what Wonder Woman looks like yet, and what they did to sluttify Catwoman as much as humanly possible, anyone want to take bets she's going to be wearing a leather corset and thigh-high boots?
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

Molyneux wrote:Given that we haven't seen what Wonder Woman looks like yet, and what they did to sluttify Catwoman as much as humanly possible, anyone want to take bets she's going to be wearing a leather corset and thigh-high boots?
That would be more than Wonder Woman actually wears. :P
What is Project Zohar?

Here's to a certain mostly harmless nutcase.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Molyneux wrote: Given that we haven't seen what Wonder Woman looks like yet, and what they did to sluttify Catwoman as much as humanly possible, anyone want to take bets she's going to be wearing a leather corset and thigh-high boots?
We have. She looks exactly like Wonder Woman always looks. Which, essentially, is a corset and thigh high boots, just in red white and blue.
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Having Batman deliver a smackdown against Kano will be worth it to me.

Hmmm... Batman and Sub Zero on co-op? That makes the fanboy in me happy. :D

Also, if I get this game, I predict many a "quick match" where Batman beats up on Superman. Because I can. :twisted:
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Molyneux wrote:
So you're saying you don't mind if they strip out everything that makes him Superman, as long as they can effectively shoehorn him into yet another shitty Mortal 'wi kant spel gud' Kombat game.
Honestly, you pretty much have to power-down Superman significantly in order to make any kind of videogame with him in it. Otherwise you may as well turn on infinite health, infinite ammo and be done with it. What kind of wanker wants a game where nothing can hurt them?
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
White Haven
Sith Acolyte

Post by White Haven »

Vendetta wrote:
Molyneux wrote: Given that we haven't seen what Wonder Woman looks like yet, and what they did to sluttify Catwoman as much as humanly possible, anyone want to take bets she's going to be wearing a leather corset and thigh-high boots?
We have. She looks exactly like Wonder Woman always looks. Which, essentially, is a corset and thigh high boots, just in red white and blue.
My good man, I see that you have forgotten Wonder Woman's taste in accessories.
Chronological Incontinence: Time warps around the poster. The thread topic winks out of existence and reappears in 1d10 posts.

Out of Context Theatre, this week starring Darth Nostril.
-'If you really want to fuck with these idiots tell them that there is a vaccine for chemtrails.'

Fiction!: The Final War (Bolo/Lovecraft) (Ch 7 9/15/11), Living (D&D, Complete)Image
chitoryu12
Jedi Council Member

Post by chitoryu12 »

General Zod wrote:
Molyneux wrote:
Honestly, you pretty much have to power-down Superman significantly in order to make any kind of videogame with him in it. Otherwise you may as well turn on infinite health, infinite ammo and be done with it. What kind of wanker wants a game where nothing can hurt them?
You really have to tone down most superheroes. Look at the Flash. If they didn't balance him out, the fight would take place in a microsecond because he could beat up his opponent before they even thought to get a move in.

(Please note that I'm not counting when comics or shows slow him down just to keep him from being horrendously overpowered. I'm talking about what he's supposed to be able to do without being toned down.)
Drooling Iguana
Sith Marauder

Post by Drooling Iguana »

General Zod wrote:Honestly, you pretty much have to power-down Superman significantly in order to make any kind of videogame with him in it. Otherwise you may as well turn on infinite health, infinite ammo and be done with it. What kind of wanker wants a game where nothing can hurt them?
I think a Superman game could work if they made it so that, rather than having the player try to avoid damage themselves the challenge instead comes from trying to protect everyone else in the city while the villain goes on a rampage. Have the game revolve around flying around the city, using your super-hearing and telescopic/x-ray vision to pinpoint people in danger and resuce them while trying to get a few hits in on this level's villain whenever you get the chance. Have it so that failure comes when you let too many innocent bystanders die rather than when you take too much damage yourself.
"Stop! No one can survive these deadly rays!"
"These deadly rays will be your death!"
- Thor and Akton, Starcrash

"Before man reaches the moon your mail will be delivered within hours from New York to California, to England, to India or to Australia by guided missiles.... We stand on the threshold of rocket mail."
- Arthur Summerfield, US Postmaster General 1953 - 1961
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Drooling Iguana wrote: I think a Superman game could work if they made it so that, rather than having the player try to avoid damage themselves the challenge instead comes from trying to protect everyone else in the city while the villain goes on a rampage. Have the game revolve around flying around the city, using your super-hearing and telescopic/x-ray vision to pinpoint people in danger and resuce them while trying to get a few hits in on this level's villain whenever you get the chance. Have it so that failure comes when you let too many innocent bystanders die rather than when you take too much damage yourself.
That sounds incredibly boring. :P
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
chitoryu12
Jedi Council Member

Post by chitoryu12 »

General Zod wrote:
Drooling Iguana wrote: I think a Superman game could work if they made it so that, rather than having the player try to avoid damage themselves the challenge instead comes from trying to protect everyone else in the city while the villain goes on a rampage. Have the game revolve around flying around the city, using your super-hearing and telescopic/x-ray vision to pinpoint people in danger and resuce them while trying to get a few hits in on this level's villain whenever you get the chance. Have it so that failure comes when you let too many innocent bystanders die rather than when you take too much damage yourself.
That sounds incredibly boring. :P
Maybe, but if they spent time on a damage engine for the city that beats other games and spent a shit long time developing it, it could be a game where you just watch the city be destroyed, which would be endlessly more entertaining than any Superman game produced as of today.
Molyneux
Emperor's Hand

Post by Molyneux »

Drooling Iguana wrote:
General Zod wrote:Honestly, you pretty much have to power-down Superman significantly in order to make any kind of videogame with him in it. Otherwise you may as well turn on infinite health, infinite ammo and be done with it. What kind of wanker wants a game where nothing can hurt them?
I think a Superman game could work if they made it so that, rather than having the player try to avoid damage themselves the challenge instead comes from trying to protect everyone else in the city while the villain goes on a rampage. Have the game revolve around flying around the city, using your super-hearing and telescopic/x-ray vision to pinpoint people in danger and resuce them while trying to get a few hits in on this level's villain whenever you get the chance. Have it so that failure comes when you let too many innocent bystanders die rather than when you take too much damage yourself.
They tried it, kind of. The most recent game works on a 'city damage' meter, but while there are some bright spots, a lot of the boss fights are just too annoying to be fun.

As for any response along the lines of "They had to tone down X's powers so they wouldn't end the game instantly!", that is kind of the point. A turd stays a turd, no matter how much you shine it; stripping out everything that makes the characters interesting just so they don't instantly destroy the game balance still doesn't make the game a worthwhile idea. It just makes it an inherently bad idea in a different way.
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Molyneux wrote: As for any response along the lines of "They had to tone down X's powers so they wouldn't end the game instantly!", that is kind of the point. A turd stays a turd, no matter how much you shine it; stripping out everything that makes the characters interesting just so they don't instantly destroy the game balance still doesn't make the game a worthwhile idea. It just makes it an inherently bad idea in a different way.
So it's a turd because their powers aren't 100% accurate? It can't possibly be enjoyable based on other merits? :wanker:
Molyneux
Emperor's Hand

Post by Molyneux »

General Zod wrote:
Molyneux wrote: As for any response along the lines of "They had to tone down X's powers so they wouldn't end the game instantly!", that is kind of the point. A turd stays a turd, no matter how much you shine it; stripping out everything that makes the characters interesting just so they don't instantly destroy the game balance still doesn't make the game a worthwhile idea. It just makes it an inherently bad idea in a different way.
So it's a turd because their powers aren't 100% accurate? It can't possibly be enjoyable based on other merits? :wanker:
I may be mistaken, but I do believe that that is a straw man you're indulging in there, or some variant thereof (hopefully someone will correct me if I'm not using the correct term). It's not a matter of "100% accuracy" - it's that if the only way to fit a character into your game is by taking away pretty much every superpower he has (not to mention giving him an "Oh it's not REALLY a fatality" Brutality when he's known for not fucking killing people), it's probably not a good idea to put that character into your game.

Add that to the usual paper-thin world, ill-thought-out storyline, half-assed graphics and execrable fighting mechanics of Mortal Kombat, and you really can't see why I tend to think that this concept is doomed to failure from the start?

A turd is a turd is a turd, even if you spell it with a K and throw in a crossover.
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Molyneux wrote: I may be mistaken, but I do believe that that is a straw man you're indulging in there, or some variant thereof (hopefully someone will correct me if I'm not using the correct term). It's not a matter of "100% accuracy" - it's that if the only way to fit a character into your game is by taking away pretty much every superpower he has (not to mention giving him an "Oh it's not REALLY a fatality" Brutality when he's known for not fucking killing people), it's probably not a good idea to put that character into your game.
So far the only thing I'm reading here is you don't like it because Superman's not invincible. Boo fucking hoo. I'll admit their explanation wasn't really the greatest, but if they'd switched it from "lol magic" to something that makes much more sense, like, say, "There's no yellow sun to give him his higher end powers in outworld", I can't help but think you'd still be bitching.
Add that to the usual paper-thin world, ill-thought-out storyline, half-assed graphics and execrable fighting mechanics of Mortal Kombat, and you really can't see why I tend to think that this concept is doomed to failure from the start?
Yeah, because that's totally what your posts have been whining about the whole time. :roll:

Mortal Kombat's control system is hardly the best, but if you're going to bash a game at least bash it for something not completely retarded. Something can have a horribly cliched/bad/whatever setting or plot and still be fun.
Molyneux
Emperor's Hand

Post by Molyneux »

General Zod wrote:Yeah, because that's totally what your posts have been whining about the whole time. :roll:
From my earlier post: "MK has yet to make a game that was not utter excrement, and this promises to be more in the same vein. "

They've all been shit. There has not been a single good game in that talent-forsaken series, what few bits of the story are good are shamelessly cribbed from elsewhere, and this is nothing more than a shamefaced money grab. I'm annoyed that they've stripped out all but the barest hint of the DC characters actually having superpowers, but whatever you think of that the fact remains that the game looks like crap.

The graphics are awful, the motion of the characters looks like it was done in Claymation, and the system has been far too focused on special move combos since the very beginning of the franchise.
Mortal Kombat's control system is hardly the best, but if you're going to bash a game at least bash it for something not completely retarded. Something can have a horribly cliched/bad/whatever setting or plot and still be fun.
Something can have a horribly cliched setting and be fun if it doesn't take itself seriously. Where the hell is the humor in Mortal Kombat?
Losonti Tokash
Sith Devotee

Post by Losonti Tokash »

Molyneux wrote:Something can have a horribly cliched setting and be fun if it doesn't take itself seriously. Where the hell is the humor in Mortal Kombat?

Clearly, a game devoid of any self-deprecating jokes.