C&C: Red Alert 3 is coming.

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

KlavoHunter
Jedi Master

Post by KlavoHunter »

Darth Raptor wrote:Is... Is that an amphibious battleship?
I... I believe it is! :fap:
TC Pilot wrote:
Losonti Tokash wrote:To be sure, the first game was a bit more serious, but it was still ridiculous.
You misunderstand. A game can still be outlandish and take itself seriously. Red Alert took itself seriously. Red Alert 2 was essentially one big, lame joke: Jacuuzi Vladimir, President "Hootin' Nickel" Dugan, General "I Want Want My Office Back" Carvill. They managed to take every ridiculous Cold War Russian stereotype and made Boris and Natasha look realistic.
Not to mention fucking mind-controlled giant squid and trained dolphins going at it in the seas. That shit is just too far out there to be funny or cool.

I hope they rein in the SILLY! factor of RA3 a bit. A cartoonish art style is fine, I mean, just look at TF2, it's a blast. Ditch the animal soldiers and the ridiculous mind-control, and leave us with the Allies and Soviets duking it out with edge-of-plausibility weapons.
"The 4th Earl of Hereford led the fight on the bridge, but he and his men were caught in the arrow fire. Then one of de Harclay's pikemen, concealed beneath the bridge, thrust upwards between the planks and skewered the Earl of Hereford through the anus, twisting the head of the iron pike into his intestines. His dying screams turned the advance into a panic."'

SDNW4: The Sultanate of Klavostan
Ritterin Sophia
Sith Acolyte

Post by Ritterin Sophia »

So far my only major problems are that all the Soviet stuff is too round, especially the tanks, finally I'm not too thrilled about the allied tri-track tanks (Yes, I know there's four on them, but it looks like it's only three.
A Certain Clique, HAB, The Chroniclers
KlavoHunter
Jedi Master

Post by KlavoHunter »

Is EA still running the show?

Fuck.
"The 4th Earl of Hereford led the fight on the bridge, but he and his men were caught in the arrow fire. Then one of de Harclay's pikemen, concealed beneath the bridge, thrust upwards between the planks and skewered the Earl of Hereford through the anus, twisting the head of the iron pike into his intestines. His dying screams turned the advance into a panic."'

Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

General Schatten wrote:So far my only major problems are that all the Soviet stuff is too round, especially the tanks
Rounded shape is a hallmark of Soviet tanks (ie the turret) since the T-54, it's fine. The cosmetic shape has only changed recently when ERA was adopted.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
Invictus ChiKen
Jedi Council Member

Post by Invictus ChiKen »

Did that magazine cover REALLY say Soviet Victory?

If so we might have more space missions if you recall Yuri's revenge.
defanatic
Jedi Knight

Post by defanatic »

General Schatten wrote: the allied tri-track tanks (Yes, I know there's four on them, but it looks like it's only three.
What's up with EA and tri-tracks? They did it with scorpions and stealth tanks in C&C3 as well.
>>Your head hurts.

>>Quaff painkillers

>>Your head no longer hurts.
Ritterin Sophia
Sith Acolyte

Post by Ritterin Sophia »

Vympel wrote:
General Schatten wrote:So far my only major problems are that all the Soviet stuff is too round, especially the tanks
Rounded shape is a hallmark of Soviet tanks (ie the turret) since the T-54, it's fine. The cosmetic shape has only changed recently when ERA was adopted.
I was talking about the chassis
defanatic wrote:
General Schatten wrote: the allied tri-track tanks (Yes, I know there's four on them, but it looks like it's only three.
What's up with EA and tri-tracks? They did it with scorpions and stealth tanks in C&C3 as well.
I don't like tri-tracks, I didn't like it in C&C3 and I don't like it here.
Last edited by Ritterin Sophia on 2008-02-13 08:53pm, edited 1 time in total.
A Certain Clique, HAB, The Chroniclers
Nephtys
Sith Acolyte

Post by Nephtys »

Invictus ChiKen wrote:Did that magazine cover REALLY say Soviet Victory?

So I guess... the timeline goes like this?

Allies win RA1's WW2.
Allies win RA2's WW3.
USSR wins RA2:YR's Yuri-War, using the Time Machine?
FedRebel
Jedi Master

Post by FedRebel »

Nephtys wrote: So I guess... the timeline goes like this?

Allies win RA1's WW2.
Allies win RA2's WW3.
Not quite...

RA1: Allies > RA2, Soviets > C&C

RA2: Allies > RA2:YR, Soviets > ?

RA2:YR: Allies > ?. Soviets > ?

The canon for RAverse is that the Allies always win
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Post by Fingolfin_Noldor »

Why the heck do the Soviets always get puny navy ships??? Now we have Tesla gunboats?!?!

For the love of God, come up with something like a super submarine with long range missiles or something like an Oscar with those cavitating torpedoes or something!
STGOD: Byzantine Empire
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
Darth Raptor
Red Mage

Post by Darth Raptor »

If the Soviets canonically won in Yuri's Revenge, that means they won WWIII as well, since they made sure to go back and fix Black Forest before sticking it to Yuri. The outcome is slightly different though. Romanov is still alive and the Alliance sort of submits to Soviet rule rather than getting conquered outright. Without the common threat presented by Yuri, that temporary truce may be breaking down.
Walsh
Padawan Learner

Post by Walsh »

Nephtys wrote:
Invictus ChiKen wrote:Did that magazine cover REALLY say Soviet Victory?

So I guess... the timeline goes like this?

Allies win RA1's WW2.
Allies win RA2's WW3.
If you finished the Soviet campaign, you might remember the ending. Kane is god.
"I'd love to take part in a political debate with Americans where anybody who tries to bring up the Founding Fathers gets an electric shock to the nuts." - Darth Wong.

"If you are looking in the bible for a guide to living a compassionate and wise and humane life, well then frankly you've got more chance of finding a lap-dancing club in Mecca, or a virgin in a catholic orphanage" - Pat Condell
SirNitram
Rest in Peace, Black Mage

Post by SirNitram »

Given the reason RA2 was more tongue in cheek than a lesbian orgy was because of the atrocity that was Tiberian Sun's 'serious, gritty' attempt. RA was damn bland, RA2 had personality. I'd be fine with it going a touch more serious, but I draw the line at a level close to C&C3's level of drama.

'MAKE YOUR MARK ON HISTORY!' 'That was Billy D. Williams overacting the Hell out of that scene.' - X-Play's review of C&C3.
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Debator Classification: Trollhunter
SirNitram
Rest in Peace, Black Mage

Post by SirNitram »

PREDATOR490 wrote:Its that kind of uglyness that made me hate RA2. Tesla stuff is cool but for fuck sake is it really required to have everything from ships to infantry having it ?
Dude, Tesla troops date back to the RA expansions. Their soundbites were hilariously Ahnold.
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Debator Classification: Trollhunter
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

I'm sitting on the fence untill I see more of it. I doubt it can be worse as from what I've seen from Starcraft 2

edit: just saw some screenshots and can't say I'm overly impressed. Remind me to play some company of heroes this evening
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Darksider wrote:Why don't you like C&C 3 skimmer?

I thought it captured the cheesy-ness of the originals, and modernized the graphics and gameplay fairly well.
I didn’t like the styling, I sure as shit didn’t like the unit selection and the voice over’s and cuts scenes were physically irritating. I gave up on the thing after the third mission, and every time I’ve tried to go back and play it again the game ends up closed within a few minutes. It reminds me more of one of those crappy CGI cartoons cable is full of these days more then the game series I once ranked above all other games.

If It could have returned it I would have done so the same hour I bought and installed it.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
KlavoHunter
Jedi Master

Post by KlavoHunter »

RA3 will have 3 sides!

The Soviets, the Allies, and...

JAPAN.
All the single campaign can be played in cooperative mode!

Dogs will bark. Yes, no laser cannons, special bombs but barking! And Dog's barking will frighten troops in vicinity for some seconds

russian machine gunners can kill snipers from the distance – they saw some Arnie movies for sure. Snipers got some shields, so if their special power is activated no machine gunner can touch them – and they kill the russian with ease.

s we loved in previous Red Alerts, there will be superweapons here too. All 3 sides will get one, but

Of course japanese are very smart, with all high-tech gadgetry,

Japanese are new to the game, so they have new units for sure. First of all the Sea Wing bomber – it can be converted any time to submarine, and not because it was shot down! Tsunami tank is other new innovation from Japan, that even a big destructor, it loves water. Really. It slows down on the shore, but it got a big gun. And I'm not talking about myself this time hehe. Allied units use Apollo fighters, that are deadly in air, but nothing against ground units, so it needs a good friend and companion, the Century bomber. This one is slow, vulnerable to anti-air fire, but when it bombs. Oh my.... it bombs like lotta hell! Mirage Tank is a good memory from Red Alert 2, for sure all of you remember on the trick, that Mirage turned into a tree. New trick, trees can turn inot Mirage tanks! No, kidding... New Mirage tank will be able to turn to something else. My lucky guess: a tub. Soviet are numerous and not so high tech (just call'em low tech, Arnie). Kirov Airship uses a helluva lot of hit points and helluva lot of destructive boms. No antiair defense in all, but very beautiful explosion effect is included, when it's coming down! Mobile V4 artillery is the little son of the late V3 used in old red Alerts. It1s a very precise weapon with a big destructive range. Of course it can swim too, and doesn't turn to be a submarine. I swear. Stingray sloop is a small, but fast ship, equipped with Tesla's lightning hurler. And 2 of that toy. Yumm!

In all old Red Alerts game speed allowed players to do rushing tactics. In this one developers recognized that flaw of the game, and they plan the multi-parties to be slower paced.

side of things, even mining and energy-making units are the same as before.

the first expansion of red Alert will be about The latest Revenge of Yuri. No title is determined yet

It really makes sense, though, doesn't it? Without WW2 happening on schedule, it would seem the Japanese never quite shot their imperialistic load and thus never got their asses kicked (Though for some reason in RA2 you could play as the Koreans... *not* a client state of Japan, it would seem?)

Darth Raptor
Red Mage

Post by Darth Raptor »

The USMC War Memorial and the Arizona Memorial can be seen in RA2. Presumably a Pacific war was fought between the US and Japan. No one knows exactly when or why, but I guess we'll find out.
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

Darth Raptor wrote:The USMC War Memorial and the Arizona Memorial can be seen in RA2. Presumably a Pacific war was fought between the US and Japan. No one knows exactly when or why, but I guess we'll find out.
Maybe there was a Pacific front against Russia in the first game?

I barely remember that game...
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
Losonti Tokash
Sith Devotee

Post by Losonti Tokash »

I don't even remember the US being involved in the first war against the Soviets. Not in the original game at least.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Darth Raptor wrote:The USMC War Memorial and the Arizona Memorial can be seen in RA2. Presumably a Pacific war was fought between the US and Japan. No one knows exactly when or why, but I guess we'll find out.
Also, the President in RA2 had a red phone to Tokyo as well as Moscow.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Darth Raptor
Red Mage

Post by Darth Raptor »

US involvement in WWII does appear to have been pretty limited. While the Allies were getting substantial logistical support from across the Atlantic, it's unclear how much of the actual fighting was done by North Americans. The Alliance at that time appears to have been a primarily European thing. Understandable, I guess, since WWII itself seems contained to Europe. Ben Carville and Tanya Adams are US military, but the former wasn't Commander-General and the latter appears to have worked as a mercenary (?) in that war.

What was going on in the rest of the world is a total mystery. A Pacific war between the United States and Russia seems unlikely because, again, the USA doesn't appear to have been heavily involved in WWII. It's not even known how Sino-Soviet relations were at the time. What we do know is that there are two Koreas by WWIII and South Korea is a member of the Alliance. If Japan turns out to be a major power in RA3, that's likely to answer a lot of these questions.
TC Pilot
Jedi Council Member

Post by TC Pilot »

Where do they keep getting this asinine idea that the Soviet Union was low tech? In Red Alert, the Soviets were ahead in every category with the exception of the Chronosphere. Stronger tanks, jet aircraft, rocketry, tesla coils, submarines, Iron Curtain, chemical warfare, nuclear power.

EDIT- Now that I think about it, I guess the rather crushing defeat the Soviets suffered from the war could have set them back greatly. So long as the game's at least not completely absurd, I should be fine with it.

As for the backstory, there's very little to suggest the Americans were involved in the war in the original, save for the soldiers in the final Allied cutscene sounding very American (I guess they could have been Canadian). RA2 implied American involvement much more, such as Dugan remining Romanov "I'm the one who put you into office." I suspect the United States didn't get involved until late, and much like in World War I, was integral in rollling back the Soviet advance.
Gandalf wrote:Also, the President in RA2 had a red phone to Tokyo as well as Moscow.
He has at least three of them, so the significance of the phone isn't as great as it might have been if there were only two.
"He may look like an idiot and talk like an idiot, but don't let that fool you. He really is an idiot."

"Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero."
Uraniun235
Emperor's Hand

Post by Uraniun235 »

In all old Red Alerts game speed allowed players to do rushing tactics. In this one developers recognized that flaw of the game, and they plan the multi-parties to be slower paced.
Woah, this sounds like a departure. I remember in RA2 the developers were gushing about how they had "overbalanced" the game or something with the goal of a player being able to suddenly swing the battle in their favor and steamroll the other dude... until the other dude came out with something different and started busting shit up themselves. Or something like that.

but i heard supreme commander sucked so why are they trying to make RA3 slower :?:
"There is no "taboo" on using nuclear weapons." -Julhelm
What is Project Zohar?
"On a serious note (well not really) I did sometimes jump in and rate nBSG episodes a '5' before the episode even aired or I saw it." - RogueIce explaining that episode ratings on SDN tv show threads are bunk
Nephtys
Sith Acolyte

Post by Nephtys »

Uraniun235 wrote:
Woah, this sounds like a departure. I remember in RA2 the developers were gushing about how they had "overbalanced" the game or something with the goal of a player being able to suddenly swing the battle in their favor and steamroll the other dude... until the other dude came out with something different and started busting shit up themselves. Or something like that.

but i heard supreme commander sucked so why are they trying to make RA3 slower :?:
RA2/Generals were too fast. In RA2, the first attack was also the last attack 90 percent of the time. Either you crushed enough enemy tanks to destroy them, or cripple them so that they will lose in the long run... or you lost enough units that they'd do the same to you.

Generals had too many 'wonder units' that could destroy many times their value without very specific counters. Such as Humvees, Commaches, Rocket Buggies, Angry Mobs, and Huge Cheap Chinese Tank Mobs.

CNC3 sorta had it right, but it crippled alternate strategies. For Nod, it was 'spam scorps and venoms'. For GDI, it was 'rush to Mammoth Tanks with railguns and dominate'. For scrin it was 'Spam shock troopers and assault carriers'.