STGOD: A Dead Art?

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

SirNitram
Rest in Peace, Black Mage

Post by SirNitram »

Backstabbing is an integral part of the STGOD.

Also, the idea that you can say 'Well, you can have this much' in a war, when massively outgunned, is a little bizarre. Certainly, if PC's want to stop there, they can. But it's not enforcable.
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Debator Classification: Trollhunter
Dark Hellion
Permanent n00b

Post by Dark Hellion »

I made myself a huge fucking target, if you played it smart. I wanted the irony of a race that is totally devoted to helping others out, yet that everyone is going to despise as crazy bloodthirsty robots of DOOM.
And you obviously didn't pay attention. I have repeatedly made reference to how this is going to be similar to Vietnam. Despite massive numerical advantage, you are fighting a heavily entrenched, fanatical enemy, in his home territory, far from home, in inhospitible climates, while attempting to maintain the paper thin cover. But, you have the added troubles of coordinating a massive multi-factional fleet, interact with another coalition that is bigger than you, and can do the same thing to you, and you have to deal with the fact that I have the capability to be totally honest and transparent, while you have to continuously lie through you teeth in front of dozens of TPs, advanced AIs and politicians.
Personally, I would love to RP this 'nam-esque event, but you have so far been unwilling to concede these fairly obvious points to me. I am getting gangbanged here, and I didn't know anything about what really happened until 2 days after the fact. I am making huge concessions to you constantly, allowing you to retcon and re-retcon the events, despite the fact that I could have easily pulled some major shit outta my ass (like my cloaking troop transports being nearby and boarding you ship after you shoot my probe :roll: ) and I am being very reasonable about it. I am even looking forward to RPing my losing battles to Rhoenix's Jotun troops. But I am not going to allow myself to be wiped out quietly by boarderline cheating.
A teenage girl is just a teenage boy who can get laid.
-GTO

We're not just doing this for money; we're doing this for a shitload of money!
Hotfoot

Post by Hotfoot »

Hey, Dark Hellion, here's a tip.

MAKE A FUSS IN GAME!

Seriously, anyone with a halfway decent intel network and an axe to grind against your enemies can use this as a reason to jump on THEM and feel justified in doing it. You're being framed and weeks are passing and you're sitting on your thumbs in game. You've not made one post in regards to this in game.

Some slightly shady things have happened. Mods have intervened. Rulings IN YOUR FAVOR have been made. Stop bitching and start dealing with the situation. You can't stop them from invading your territory, so start thinking about how you're going to react to the invasion in the game! Beg for help, batten up the hatches, start smearing them on intersteller news networks. A war of aggression is on your doorstep, and if you don't do something, they will annihilate you.
Do not meddle in the affairs of insomniacs, for they are cranky and can do things to you while you sleep.
The Realm of Confusion
"Every time you talk about Teal'c, I keep imagining Thor's ass. Thank you very much for that, you fucking fucker." -Marcao
SG-14: Because in some cases, "Recon" means "Blow up a fucking planet or die trying."
SilCore Wiki! Come take a look!
Dark Hellion
Permanent n00b

Post by Dark Hellion »

Order received Hotfoot. Operation SHITSTORM beginning at 10 or so central. Be prepared. :)
-GTO

Hotfoot

Post by Hotfoot »

By the way Dark Hellion, for my own sanity, could you please, please, please use two line breaks between paragraphs? It helps everyone read what you're writing. Remember, indentation doesn't work in the forum, so please use two line breaks to seperate paragraphs.

Like this.

Thank you.
Do not meddle in the affairs of insomniacs, for they are cranky and can do things to you while you sleep.
The Realm of Confusion
"Every time you talk about Teal'c, I keep imagining Thor's ass. Thank you very much for that, you fucking fucker." -Marcao
SG-14: Because in some cases, "Recon" means "Blow up a fucking planet or die trying."
Dark Hellion
Permanent n00b

Post by Dark Hellion »

Ok, will do. The board formating drives me nuts, too. I just don't usually post enough to get a chance to mess with it.
-GTO

Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

Dark Hellion wrote:Despite massive numerical advantage, you are fighting a heavily entrenched, fanatical enemy, in his home territory, far from home, in inhospitible climates,
That's true for most invasion scenarios in this game.
Dark Hellion wrote:like my cloaking troop transports being nearby and boarding you ship after you shoot my probe :roll:
I'd be happy to retcon that in.
Bugsby
Jedi Master

Post by Bugsby »

Spyder wrote:Just look at what happens with the meagre details I do drip feed. A distress signal from a commercial freighter gets intercepted and one nation suddenly deploys a war fleet and mobilizes their spy network and another shows up and says "Hey Starborn, what's up?"
Yeah, sorry about that Spyder. OOC, I got excited when I saw things happening so near my territory and overreacted. But that overreaction actually kind of fits in with some things I wanted to do with my characters, so that's fine for me.

On the subject of how much people know about my race (that came up a couple pages ago, but still) I am a well-known power that made contact with Earth hundreds of years ago, around the time humans became capable of interstellar flight. I am also fairly well known in my area of the galaxy because of my empire's age. One additional note: I hate stated in my OOB that my nation has a pristine diplomatic reputation. So for everyone that does have contact with me, your nation's official diplomatic stance towards me should be cordial/trusting (accounting, of course, for the prejudices of xenophonbes etc etc).

That reputation is mine to lose. =\
The wisdom of PA:
-Normal Person + Anonymity + Audience = Total Fuckwad
Dark Hellion
Permanent n00b

Post by Dark Hellion »

We'll deal with it in game. Just cut the "our conspiracy is perfect" mustache twisting crap. This ploy is gossimer thin, all the factions with any intelligence are going to see right through it.
If you slow it down, and make sure everyone politics it out while their ships sit light years from home, instead of the breakneck pace that events have transpired over the last couple day, I'll be fine if I eventually get attacked. But give people a chance to actually examine the threads and react, and stop rushing the event.
-GTO

Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

Dark Hellion wrote:We'll deal with it in game. Just cut the "our conspiracy is perfect" mustache twisting crap.
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Dark Hellion
Permanent n00b

Post by Dark Hellion »

It would be even funnier if it wasn't kinda true.
Look how fast it fell apart when it finally got discussed OOC.
-GTO

Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

Dark Hellion wrote:It would be even funnier if it wasn't kinda true.
Look how fast it fell apart when it finally got discussed OOC.
You don't seriously think the idea was to frame you OOC do you?

Aside from that being pretty much impossible and definitely irresponsible, there was plenty of RP detail about pirate ships being called in, tractor beams being used and evidence being erased. No one could be paying attention and miss that. IC, pretexts like this are pretty standard for starting wars, the only relevant questions are 'how long will it take to get hard evidence' and 'does anyone else actually care'.
Bugsby
Jedi Master

Post by Bugsby »

Well, both Starglider and Dark Hellion are kind of right. STGOD is all about realpolitik. NGTO can go ahead and glass Dark Hellion's worlds all they want, the only question is whether or not they can get away with it. If you do your job right, DH, they won't be able to. Or maybe they will anyway, and then will subsequently destroyed by an angry galaxy that rises up against them.

Either way, I hope this comes to blows soon. Not that I have anything against any of the parties involved... it's just that 'splosions are nifty!
The wisdom of PA:
-Normal Person + Anonymity + Audience = Total Fuckwad
Dark Hellion
Permanent n00b

Post by Dark Hellion »

You know bugsby, that is exactly what I want. I just wish that they had allowed for some reaction to the flurry of posts that made this happen, considering the massive retconning the "true" story of the probe had to make. I would have let them have so much better of a case for war, if they had just contacted me.
-GTO

Spyder
Sith Marauder

Post by Spyder »

Bugsby wrote:
Spyder wrote:Just look at what happens with the meagre details I do drip feed. A distress signal from a commercial freighter gets intercepted and one nation suddenly deploys a war fleet and mobilizes their spy network and another shows up and says "Hey Starborn, what's up?"
Yeah, sorry about that Spyder. OOC, I got excited when I saw things happening so near my territory and overreacted. But that overreaction actually kind of fits in with some things I wanted to do with my characters, so that's fine for me.
Oh it's ok though, oddly enough it actually fits quite well.
:D
Hotfoot

Post by Hotfoot »

THIRDFAIN wrote:This thread is for the actual negotiations in the Coalition building- not for first contacts, or military intrigue, or anything else.
A mod said the thread is for specific negotiations. Why are you posting other stuff in there instead of the game thread?
The Realm of Confusion
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Hotfoot wrote:
THIRDFAIN wrote:This thread is for the actual negotiations in the Coalition building- not for first contacts, or military intrigue, or anything else.
A mod said the thread is for specific negotiations. Why are you posting other stuff in there instead of the game thread?
Can we get a 'for instance' Im hoping I havn't posted anythign where it doesn't belong.
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
rhoenix
Jedi Council Member

Post by rhoenix »

Me too - I can move and repost my politicking in the main thread, if asked.
Hotfoot

Post by Hotfoot »

Crossroads Inc. wrote:
Hotfoot wrote:
Can we get a 'for instance' Im hoping I havn't posted anythign where it doesn't belong.
I'm talking about the debate on the probe deal in the Coalition Negotiations thread. The thread in question was specifically created so that the Coalition Negotiations could happen without the same in-game stuff getting in the way in the pre-game thread. Given that, it would make sense that current in-game debates be handled, you know, in the in-game thread.
The Realm of Confusion
rhoenix
Jedi Council Member

Post by rhoenix »

Hotfoot wrote:I'm talking about the debate on the probe deal in the Coalition Negotiations thread. The thread in question was specifically created so that the Coalition Negotiations could happen without the same in-game stuff getting in the way in the pre-game thread. Given that, it would make sense that current in-game debates be handled, you know, in the in-game thread.
I'm willing to tag all of my posts with Council of Nations or something to ease the posts being split, if needs be.

As an aside, Covenant, you're awesome.
Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

I'm certainly ok with my relevant post being moved. Thirdfain's call really, it's his thread; this is stuff I imagine he'd want the CON to discuss, but it may be getting in the way of getting the CON actually set up and going first.
rhoenix
Jedi Council Member

Post by rhoenix »

Starglider wrote:I'm certainly ok with my relevant post being moved. Thirdfain's call really, it's his thread; this is stuff I imagine he'd want the CON to discuss, but it may be getting in the way of getting the CON actually set up and going first.
Well, it could be argued that the still-forming Coalition is seeing it's first test already.
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

May I say, for the record, in so many words as is, that Covenant's posts, and mentions of thought, in this game, are full of "WIN" :lol: :lol:
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Dark Hellion
Permanent n00b

Post by Dark Hellion »

Keep it up covenant. Your posts are too fucking funny to read.
-GTO

rhoenix
Jedi Council Member

Post by rhoenix »

Covenant wrote:MOST INOFFENSIVE AND POTENTIALLY EXTREMELY HARMLESS
You keep outdoing yourself, good sir. ;)