STGOD: A Dead Art?

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

InnocentBystander
The Russian Circus

Post by InnocentBystander »

My vote is that the distance from sol to the edge of known space should be 2 or 3 weeks travel.
Tasoth
Sith Devotee

Post by Tasoth »

Mods, are the vak cleared for play? I'm not going to post until I get okayed. I'd also like to start in game with having a family fleet both in NGTO space and on Earth, if this is acceptable.
I've committed the greatest sin, worse than anything done here today. I sold half my soul to the devil. -Ivan Isaac, the Half Souled Knight

Mecha Maniac
Bugsby
Jedi Master

Post by Bugsby »

Spyder wrote:Continuity Problem

It's not a Starborn vessel, it's a commercial freighter belonging to some random shipping company.

Also, you probably wouldn't recognise a Starborn vessel if you saw it, the Starborn outsource to Nova for their dirty work :).

Edit: Quick question:

Are we not going with weapons range modifiers? I spent points on that but in the quick ref they got dumped back into speed.
Ah. I assumed the vessel had a Starborn affiliation because you were the one posting. I'll edit the post accordingly.
The wisdom of PA:
-Normal Person + Anonymity + Audience = Total Fuckwad
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

UCBooties wrote:First question, why is blackmast off the map? Second question, when will we have a definite FTL speed so we can start planning our shenanigans?
I thought Pirats were supposed to be secret?
<_<
>_>
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
HSRTG
Jedi Knight

Post by HSRTG »

Damn you, posting the story thread, now. I'm gone from tomorrow until possibly the 4th. Until the 9th I'll have regular access again, after that things will get spotty for a while, until I settle down in the summer program I'll be attending. I apologize for any problems this causes.
Kill one man, you're a murderer. Kill a million, a king. Kill them all, a god. - Anonymous
Tanasinn
Jedi Council Member

Post by Tanasinn »

Crossroads Inc. wrote:
UCBooties wrote:First question, why is blackmast off the map? Second question, when will we have a definite FTL speed so we can start planning our shenanigans?
I thought Pirats were supposed to be secret?
<_<
>_>
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't the location of a good many nations be unknown to the players unless divulged by a citizen?
Truth fears no trial.
Bugsby
Jedi Master

Post by Bugsby »

The map does not represent all in-game knowledge. Because of limited contacts, the location of roughly 1/4 of the players is, at this point, largely unknown. But when someone DOES launch a strike from their secret base or their hidden homeworld, the map lets us know (OOC) where that strike is coming from.

More than anything else, the map is a way to show relative proximities and calculate travel times.
The wisdom of PA:
rhoenix
Jedi Council Member

Post by rhoenix »

Bugsby wrote:The map does not represent all in-game knowledge. Because of limited contacts, the location of roughly 1/4 of the players is, at this point, largely unknown. But when someone DOES launch a strike from their secret base or their hidden homeworld, the map lets us know (OOC) where that strike is coming from.

More than anything else, the map is a way to show relative proximities and calculate travel times.
Exactly. Holding back on showing where you are and what your faction's capabilities are doesn't affect in-game play, which is IN-CHARACTER. The Maps, the OOB's, and other things are OUT OF CHARACTER. As of yet, the factions are still getting to know one another, and where the others are. Maps are still being created in-game, so to speak.
Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

Spyder wrote:Are we not going with weapons range modifiers?
No. No sensible game mechanic for them. Put it in the fluff, it will feed into the RP I'm sure. Besides no one else has them, there would be another orgy of OOB-fiddling if they suddenly got added now.
I spent points on that but in the quick ref they got dumped back into speed.
If I'd known you meant 'weapons range' I would've merged it into 'general combat ability'. I thought you mean 'ship unrefueled range', which AFAIK had no game effect, so I listed it as the nearest mod-approved thing. In fact I will edit your summary to that effect now.

Edit: P.S. Are we still using the CoN thread for near-earth goings on, or does that go in the main thread? I'm assuming the CoN politicking thread and the NGTO discussion thread are still enabled.
Beowulf
The Patrician

Post by Beowulf »

I'm lacking a decent image editor. Could someone please add me to the map? 1 hex, in the far north of the map, but not outside of Known Space.
"preemptive killing of cops might not be such a bad idea from a personal saftey[sic] standpoint..." --Keevan Colton
"There's a word for bias you can't see: Yours." -- William Saletan
UCBooties
Jedi Master

Post by UCBooties »

Beowulf wrote:I'm lacking a decent image editor. Could someone please add me to the map? 1 hex, in the far north of the map, but not outside of Known Space.
And stick Blackmast back on there please. It's on a couple of the older maps as an "X" with the planet name.
Post 666: Posted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 12:51 am
Post 777: Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 6:49 pm
Post 999: Posted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:19 am
Shinn Langley Soryu
Jedi Council Member

Post by Shinn Langley Soryu »

Starglider wrote:Edit: P.S. Are we still using the CoN thread for near-earth goings on, or does that go in the main thread? I'm assuming the CoN politicking thread and the NGTO discussion thread are still enabled.
I find it quite disturbing that the CoN thread has fallen silent. Unless a mod says otherwise, it would be assumed that the CoN thread is to be used for near-Earth events. I won't touch it for now, though; I'm cautious about retconning and such.

EDIT: New map is now up. Beowulf's been added, UCBooties' been readded. If anyone has any problems with it, feel free to say so.

I ship Eino Ilmari Juutilainen x Lydia V. Litvyak.

ImageImageImage
Phantasee: Don't be a dick.
Stofsk: What are you, his mother?
The Yosemite Bear: Obviously, which means that he's grounded, and that she needs to go back to sucking Mr. Coffee's cock.

"d-did... did this thread just turn into Thanas/PeZook slash fiction?" - Ilya Muromets[/size]
Bugsby
Jedi Master

Post by Bugsby »

CoN was just got stuff about the Coalition of Nations. However, people actually started playing in that thread, so we split it. The plotlines about CoN are now in the "CON negotiations thread." Everything else is in the Game Thread.
The wisdom of PA:
Tanasinn
Jedi Council Member

Post by Tanasinn »

Speaking of which, my diplomats are kinda just sitting in Earth's space, waiting around to be invited in. I understand that the "lol welcome 2 earth!!1" posts gotta get tiring, but I'm not sure if I should just assume my diplomats made it or not.
Truth fears no trial.
Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

Shinn Langley Soryu wrote:EDIT: New map is now up. Beowulf's been added, UCBooties' been readded. If anyone has any problems with it, feel free to say so.
Is that position for Beowulf correct? I thought he said
Beowulf wrote:Stick me on the map, well, somewhere in the southwest. I don't really care much where exactly. It's a roughly one hex sized empire.
Beowulf
The Patrician

Post by Beowulf »

Starglider wrote:
Shinn Langley Soryu wrote:EDIT: New map is now up. Beowulf's been added, UCBooties' been readded. If anyone has any problems with it, feel free to say so.
Is that position for Beowulf correct? I thought he said
Beowulf wrote:Stick me on the map, well, somewhere in the southwest. I don't really care much where exactly. It's a roughly one hex sized empire.
Changed my mind. See later post.
"preemptive killing of cops might not be such a bad idea from a personal saftey[sic] standpoint..." --Keevan Colton
"There's a word for bias you can't see: Yours." -- William Saletan
Shinn Langley Soryu
Jedi Council Member

Post by Shinn Langley Soryu »

I'll change the map later if someone doesn't get to it first; I only came on to check on the game's progress.
I ship Eino Ilmari Juutilainen x Lydia V. Litvyak.

ImageImageImage
Phantasee: Don't be a dick.
Stofsk: What are you, his mother?
The Yosemite Bear: Obviously, which means that he's grounded, and that she needs to go back to sucking Mr. Coffee's cock.

"d-did... did this thread just turn into Thanas/PeZook slash fiction?" - Ilya Muromets[/size]
Thirdfain
The Player of Games
Location: Never underestimate the staggering drawing power of the Garden State.

Post by Thirdfain »

Oy!

I'm working right now, so my time on the computer is limited- I can generally get on for a few minutes around 7:30, 3:30, and after 10:00 pm, EST. I've caught up with the threads, and have posted on those issues and negotiions I am currently involved in- if I missed anyone, I apologise (Except for UCBooties, I'm still thinking about my response to the Duke and my immediate plans in that direction.

I will be around pretty much daily, but ususally only for short periods of time. I hope no one is offended by shorter posts :(

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite.
John Kenneth Galbraith (1908 - )
Cincinnatus
Youngling

Post by Cincinnatus »

Sorry about not getting the distinction between the Nova Guild and the Starborn. I guess the captain of the Kaloum, like me, didn't read his briefings on the subject carefully enough.
Spyder
Sith Marauder

Post by Spyder »

Cincinnatus wrote:Sorry about not getting the distinction between the Nova Guild and the Starborn. I guess the captain of the Kaloum, like me, didn't read his briefings on the subject carefully enough.
That's ok, it's been a while since I last got to use "attention moron vessel" as an opening hail. :D
:D
Spyder
Sith Marauder

Post by Spyder »

Do we really need seperate delcarations for intel and counter intel?
Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

Spyder wrote:Do we really need seperate delcarations for intel and counter intel?
Yes. Spy networks in foreign powers and internal security are very different things. The later counters the former. If you didn't specify, I suppose it can be assumed that your points are split 50/50.
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

Ooooo.... I just moved a fleet of ships into play... Oh yeah.. that felt, good.....
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Spyder
Sith Marauder

Post by Spyder »

Starglider wrote:
Spyder wrote:Do we really need seperate delcarations for intel and counter intel?
Yes. Spy networks in foreign powers and internal security are very different things. The later counters the former. If you didn't specify, I suppose it can be assumed that your points are split 50/50.
Nah, I'll stick with my current intel model, it works for its current environment.
Bugsby
Jedi Master

Post by Bugsby »

Spyder, quick word of clarification... What is general knowledge about your race? You state in your OOB that the Starborn are reclusive and work through proxies. Does the galaxy at large know about the existence of the Starborn? If so, how much is known about the relation between the Starborn and their proxies?

Your OOB suggests some things, but specifics help - especially when I am currently involved in a rescue op with one of those proxies.
The wisdom of PA: