Let me show you my Pokemon.

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Anarchist Bunny
Foul, Cruel, and Bad-Tempered Rodent

Post by Anarchist Bunny »

DPDarkPrimus wrote:
Anarchist Bunny wrote:Nearing the end game here and I was seeing if anyone knew of some good training spots arround level 40. So far the best I have found is a bird trainer that usually responds to the Vs. Seeker in the foggy area with two Noctowls that can be taken down rather easy by my entire team for a total of 2700 exp. Just wonder if there is any thing better.
I think if you use the Vs. Seeker outside the restaurant, the people inside will battle you again.

At least, I used it outside then went inside and was able to fight them a second time.
The restaurant is about half the level of my team with none of the pokemon are very evolved.
//This Line Blank as of 7/15/07\\
Ornithology Subdirector: SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences
Wiilite
Qwerty 42
Jedi Council Member

Post by Qwerty 42 »

Yeah, I only beat the Elite 4 because the champion either

1. Ran out of Energy Balls

2. Didn't use it for some reason against an Empoleon with 1/3 hp.

Either way, it used Shadow Ball with less than 50% HP while I just used Brine.

To the meat of my post, I think SDN needs to claim a room number in the Battle Tower for its own. 042, anyone?

EDIT: I have the Japanese attack names stuck in my head v_v
Last edited by Qwerty 42 on 2007-05-28 10:30pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image Your head is humming and it won't go, in case you don't know, the piper's calling you to join him
Xisiqomelir
Jedi Council Member

Post by Xisiqomelir »

Went on a breedfest, if anyone wants a Beldum, Snorlax (w/ Curse) or Staryu (or eggs of any of those), let me know.

FC 0731 1263 0028
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

so has anyone made "HitmonYun-Fat" yet?

if so where does one get pocket monster sized gun-fu ammo?

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
DarkSilver
Jedi Council Member

Post by DarkSilver »

just picked up Pearl a couple days ago...first Pokemon game I've played since the original Red/Green/Yellow series.

So far, I like it. It's pretty fun, though I still prefer my old Pidgey/Pidgeiotto/Pidgeot evolution over the Starly evo. Chose a Chimchar as my starter (I like fire types), and manage to get my first two Gym Badges.

Man I need to get a Charmander....

and a Pikachu...I needs me some Pikachu..
since I just picked up Fire Red, I think I'll see what I can do about trading it later...
XBL: Darek Silver | Wii Friend: 5602 6414 0598 0225
LibriumArcana - Roleplaying, Fiction, Irreverence
Trekker (TOS, TNG/DS9-Era) | Warsie (semi-movie purist) | B5'er | TransFan
Cult of Vin Diesel: While it is well known that James Earl Jones performed the voice of Darth Vader, it is less appreciated that Vin Diesel performs the voice of James Earl Jones.
Xisiqomelir
Jedi Council Member

Post by Xisiqomelir »

RMT! Standard, Item Clause

Fast special sweeper
Jolteon@Wisdom Glasses
(252 Sp. Att/164 HP/92 SPD)
-Thunderbolt
-Shadow Ball
-Thunder Wave
-Roar

Fast special sweeper/Resister
Gengar@Black Sludge
(252 SPD/252 Sp. Att)
-Hypnosis
-Focus Blast
-Sludge Bomb
-Shadow Ball

Fast special sweeper/Rapid spinner
Starmie@Nevermeltice
(228 Sp. Att/220 HP/60 SPD)
-Rapid Spin
-Recover
-Surf
-Ice Beam

Physical sweeper/Physical wall
Rhyperior@Choice Band
(252 Sp. Def/196 ATT/60 HP)
-Swords Dance
-Megahorn
-Earthquake
-Rock Wrecker

Physical sweeper/Special wall
Snorlax@Leftovers
(212 DEF/200 Sp. Def/96 ATT)
-Curse
-Rest
-Flamethrower
-Body Slam

General Wall/Resister
Spiritomb@Focus Band
(252 HP/128 DEF/128 Sp. Def)
-Curse
-Rest
-Nasty Plot
-Dark Pulse

I like this team a lot. Jolteon, Spiritomb, Gengar and Rhyperior have immunities, it's pretty speedy, and it's reasonably adaptable to most situations.

Typically (60%) I'll lead off with Jolteon and start blasting. Thunder Wave is for Swampert and Raikou. If the matchup is unfavourable to the opponent, I'll anticipate the switch and Roar the switch-in to probably get a free attack, then Shadow Ball if their Ground is still alive, Thunderbolt if I've fainted it.

Other times, I'll lead off with Gengar and try to land a Hypnosis if STAB Sludge Bomb or Shadow Ball don't seem useful. Focus Blast is there because it can use Gengar's massive Sp. Att, unlike Focus Punch. Gengar's also my backup Normal/Fighting counter if Spiritomb's been fainted, and is my switch-in on any Earthquakes that Jolteon provokes.

Starmie is there to Rapid Spin spikers, counter Salamence, Flygon and Garchomp, soak up Surfs and be generally useful.

For physical sweeping, I'll try to get a free switch to Rhyperior by using Starmie as bolt bait. After he's in, I'll try to predict and land big Choice-Banded attacks, Swords Dancing when possible. I'm wondering if Stone Edge might be better than Rock Wrecker since there's no lag round.

Spiritomb is the go-to "put the brakes on" part of the team, in case of dire peril. He has huge Def/Sp. Def NO WEAKNESSES :D , one kind of useless resist (Poison) and 3 immunities, including an immunity to Explosion, the usual emergency wall breaker. Curse/Rest will take out anything eventually while keeping Spiritomb alive, and Nasty Plot/Dark Pulse is a useful emergency sweep.

If everything else fails, the Curselax is there to still try and drag out a win. Flamethrower's for Skarmory.

Advice appreciated!
Qwerty 42
Jedi Council Member

Post by Qwerty 42 »

Xisiqomelir wrote:RMT! Standard, Item Clause

Fast special sweeper
Jolteon@Wisdom Glasses
(252 Sp. Att/164 HP/92 SPD)
-Thunderbolt
-Shadow Ball
-Thunder Wave
-Roar
An interesting idea, though iirc thunder wave does not affect Swampert. Leftovers might also be better than Wisdom Glasses, but I'm not really familiar with how they work. Also, beware Porygon.
Fast special sweeper/Resister
Gengar@Black Sludge
(252 SPD/252 Sp. Att)
-Hypnosis
-Focus Blast
-Sludge Bomb
-Shadow Ball
Beware: Hypnosis is little more than a shot in the dark, particularly when Gengar gets goodies like Thunderbolt, Dark Pulse, and Psychic. Thunder Wave or Haze also deserve spots, probably over Focus Blast (same stats as Thunder, just a different type.) Black Sludge is a great idea, particularly in an item limiting area.
Fast special sweeper/Rapid spinner
Starmie@Nevermeltice
(228 Sp. Att/220 HP/60 SPD)
-Rapid Spin
-Recover
-Surf
-Ice Beam
Fairly useful set, but you want Leftovers rather than Nevermeltice, since Leftovers will be more helpful in the long run.
Physical sweeper/Physical wall
Rhyperior@Choice Band
(252 Sp. Def/196 ATT/60 HP)
-Swords Dance
-Megahorn
-Earthquake
-Rock Wrecker
If you have Choice Band, you can't use Swords Dance, as then you will only be allowed to use Swords Dance, unless that was changed while I wasn't looking. Megahorn and Earthquake are must haves, though a Rock version of Hyper Beam isn't particularly appealing unless you can't avoid it. Shadow Claw is probably the safer option there. If you're dead set on the Choice Band, you could probably put Brick Break, Return, or one of the Elemental Fangs in that spot. If you're willing to trade the Choice Band for, say, leftovers, Swords Dance can stay, although Rock Polish or Curse would be smart alternatives, since Rhyperior has such monster attack to begin with.
Physical sweeper/Special wall
Snorlax@Leftovers
(212 DEF/200 Sp. Def/96 ATT)
-Curse
-Rest
-Flamethrower
-Body Slam
Snorlax's Sp. Attack is useless, so if you're that dead set against Skarmory you might want to upgrade to Fire Blast to at least pack some heat, despite the accuracy.
General Wall/Resister
Spiritomb@Focus Band
(252 HP/128 DEF/128 Sp. Def)
-Curse
-Rest
-Nasty Plot
-Dark Pulse
Just beware anyone who can outgun what you recover through rest. Other than that, this is a great set, although Focus Band is iffy. Incidentally, does Curse go through Substitute?

Also, could I get a rate for my team?

Porygon2 @ Leftovers
Ice Beam
Thunderbolt
Thunder Wave
Recover

Possibly the most annoying leadoff in history, tracing things like Jolteon's Volt Absorb or Aerodactyl's Intimidate. Ice Beam/ Thunderbolt has delightful type coverage, and Thunder Wave and Recover play off of Porygon2's surprising defenses.

Garchomp @ Leftovers
Dragon Claw
Earthquake
Swords Dance
Draco Meteor

The idea here is to use the type coverage of DC/ Earthquake, and to use Draco Meteor for "oh, CRAP" situations like Skarmory. It's a work in progress, I'd like to see if Substitute would be better than Draco Meteor.

Mismagius @ Leftovers
Calm Mind
Thunderbolt
Shadow Ball
Thunder Wave

An extrapolation on the old Misdreavus mainstay, just using the new abilities of Mismagius and the special-type Shadow Ball.

Sceptile @ Leftovers
Energy Ball
Dragon Pulse
Substitute
Leech Seed

Fairly self-explanatory, watch Leech Seed do its work, keep Substitute up, use Energy Ball and Dragon Pulse whenver you have a free moment. Unfortunate dread of Skarmory.

Empoleon @ Leftovers
Surf
Aqua Ring
Substitute
Ice Pebble

Sort of putting attack eggs in one basket, but Empoleon's move pool is depressing. Steel/Water is powerful defensively, and Ice Pebble is to try to hit someone like Yanma or Ninjask.

Yanmega @ Liechi Berry
Bug Buzz
Ancientpower
Substitute
Reversal

Speed Boost and the Liechi Berry makes him a potent, nigh-uncatchable subrevver.

Thoughts?
Image Your head is humming and it won't go, in case you don't know, the piper's calling you to join him
Xisiqomelir
Jedi Council Member

Post by Xisiqomelir »

Thanks Qwerty. I think I'll swap Rhyperior for DD-Tar. Good thing I haven't started ev training yet.

For your RMT, I like almost everything. Water ring on Empoleon isn't really good though, IMHO you should swap it for Ice Beam to hit Celebi harder than Ice Pebble. Instead of Sceptile, maybe you want to consider Breloom instead. Spore is godly, you'll still have a seeder and it'll give you another physical option besides Garchomp. Yanmega is interesting, let me know how it works out.
Qwerty 42
Jedi Council Member

Post by Qwerty 42 »

Thanks. The only thing to be careful of with tyranitar is that "sand stream" has the same number of letters as "team cancer." Don't get me wrong, he's good, you just need to be careful.

My "u.u." planned team, if anyone would care to rate.

Staraptor @ Leftovers
Aerial Ace
Substitute
Quick Attack
Endeavor

sort of meh, I couldn't think of a set.

Linoone @ Salac Berry
Quick Attack
Belly Drum
Return
Shadow Claw

Pikachu @ Light Ball
Thunderbolt
Surf
Substitute
Encore

would have nasty plot, but LB Pikachu doesn't really need it.

Huntail @ Leftovers
Substitute
Swords Dance
Baton Pass
Waterfall

Waterfall is awful, but it gives Huntail ability to stand if his BP target dies.

Cradily @ Leftovers
Ingrain
Earthquake
Stone Edge
Recover

I'm hesitant to use Ingrain, since Suction Cups already negates Roar and Whirlwind, and someone with Toxic punctures the plan without Sub.

Dunsparce @ Leftovers
Headbutt
Thunder Wave
Shadow Ball
Attract

The original hax machine. Accept no substitutes.

Wiipost.
Xisiqomelir
Jedi Council Member

Post by Xisiqomelir »

I have to clear my boxes out. If anyone wants a:

Charmander
Eevee
Rhyhorn
Snorlax
Beldum
Spiritomb

lemme know.
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

Xisiqomelir wrote:I have to clear my boxes out. If anyone wants a:

Charmander
Eevee
Rhyhorn
Snorlax
Beldum
Spiritomb

lemme know.
What genders, but I don't really care.

Charmander
Eevee
Spiritomb
Mayabird is my girlfriend
Justice League:BotM:MM:SDnet City Watch:Cybertron's Finest
"Well then, science is bullshit. "
-revprez, with yet another brilliant rebuttal.
DarkSilver
Jedi Council Member

Post by DarkSilver »

...curse my lack of a wireless connection....

I would have murdered for that Charmander........
XBL: Darek Silver | Wii Friend: 5602 6414 0598 0225
LibriumArcana - Roleplaying, Fiction, Irreverence
Trekker (TOS, TNG/DS9-Era) | Warsie (semi-movie purist) | B5'er | TransFan
Cult of Vin Diesel: While it is well known that James Earl Jones performed the voice of Darth Vader, it is less appreciated that Vin Diesel performs the voice of James Earl Jones.
Xisiqomelir
Jedi Council Member

Post by Xisiqomelir »

0731 1263 0028

Tell me when you can be online.
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

Xisiqomelir wrote:0731 1263 0028

Tomorrow at 6 PM CDT.

Anything from Diamond you are looking for, or should I just get you some Zubats? :P
Xisiqomelir
Jedi Council Member

Post by Xisiqomelir »

DPDarkPrimus wrote:
Xisiqomelir wrote:0731 1263 0028

Tomorrow at 6 PM CDT.

Anything from Diamond you are looking for, or should I just get you some Zubats? :P
I have Diamond, I'm okay :)

Looking for insert and swarm pokes atm.
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

Hey, I'm online now if you want to trade.
Xisiqomelir
Jedi Council Member

Post by Xisiqomelir »

DPDarkPrimus wrote:Hey, I'm online now if you want to trade.
Sorry, class dragged on a bit. I'm in the lobby.

FC too please, I can't find it.
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

DPDarkPrimus wrote: My FC is: 1890 7686 0995
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

I am waiting.
White Cat
Padawan Learner

Post by White Cat »

I've only got 5 badges so far, with over 60 hours of playtime. Like someone else posted earlier, I like to catch a full team early and then level them evenly.

Torterra
Luxray
Crobat
Medicham
Gastrodon (eastern)
Rapidash

They're all around level 50, thanks to a long and frustrating, but ultimately successful, quest to nab a Chansey with Lucky Egg. :D
LISTEN TO MY LOUSY ANIME SONG
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

Want to battle?
White Cat
Padawan Learner

Post by White Cat »

Unfortunately, I don't have Wi-Fi access at this point, so there's no way for me to battle online. Plus, my team is made for playing the RPG (lots of high-PP/low-power attacks, no stat-boosting moves, unoptimized EVs) and so isn't very good for link battles.

I saved the friend code you gave, though, so hopefully we'll be able to battle sometime in the future.

I should also mention that the other thing that's slowing down my progress in the story is that I'm totally addicted to that silly Underground mining mini-game...
LISTEN TO MY LOUSY ANIME SONG
Xisiqomelir
Jedi Council Member

Post by Xisiqomelir »

Anyone want to battle?
Qwerty 42
Jedi Council Member

Post by Qwerty 42 »

Running the risk of necromancy, is anyone getting Battle Revolution? They have 8 player tournaments online, evidently.
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

Running the risk of necromancy further...

Diamond and Pearl are just out in Europe, so I expect at least a few of the members this side of the pond are picking it up. I did (Diamond) and...this is Pokémon Blue. Ten years and *nothing* has changed. I'm pretty some of the sound samples are the very same ones they used in the GB version.

Not that it's a bad thing, but really, a decade of technological leaps and all we get are polygonal houses and a few horribly inconsistent stylus controls? The core game is still good, of course, so I will play and enjoy this title, but come on!

That aside, it feels remarkably good to be playing a Pokémon game again. I'm 90 minutes in, have a team at lvl 10-6-5-5 just heading off for the first Gym and this far it's been as intuitive and fun as it was back in the day.

I'm having some succes getting Nintendo's shitty wifi software on my PC, mostly because I'm interested in online trading. Does it actually work properly?