Anyone using Ubuntu 7.04 (Feisty Fawn)?

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

phongn
Rebel Leader

Anyone using Ubuntu 7.04 (Feisty Fawn)?

Post by phongn »

I've been playing with it in VMWare Workstation RC1 and it seems quite snappy and fast. It is certainly a polished distribution; anyone else playing with it?
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

Yes. I've upgraded from 6.10 (Xubuntu) and I'm not sure I should have...yet.

Don't get me wrong, the upgrade itself went smoothly (30 minutes to download, 30 to install) and everything works - VMware broke because it can't figure out the new kernel and my wireless died because Feisty seems to use a slightly different configuration (my ndiswrapper'd connection used to be under "wired", now it's under "wireless"), but those are pretty minor and easily fixed.

There aren't any mind-blowing innovations. In fact, so far the most useful features are the better printing control and that the Applications menu makes a bit more sense :)

However...

I get random reboots. They're sporadic but highly annoying. Feisty seems to have a problem correctly identifying the CPU temperature. For my P4, it's set to auto-shutdown at 73°C, which is fine (recommended max temp is 74, usually runs at ~51 under load), but ever so often I get a message informing me that the internal temperature is 250+°C and boom, shutdown.

Some people say it's because of ACPI issues, some say I just need to update my BIOS (I'm a bit apprehensive about doing that, my BIOS is ancient but I'm not sure the newest version will play nice and the HP site isn't helping).

It does feel pretty snappy. An evolution, not a revolution. If you're doing a fresh install, the new features - even easier codec and driver installation, better partitioning - are supposed to be more noticeable.
Old Plympto
Jedi Master

Post by Old Plympto »

I just finished burning the Feisty iso at 4X not 5 minutes before reading this thread.

My 5 year old home desktop died recently and I'll be buying a new one soon. I'll probably clean install the Feisty into it.

Right now I only have this work laptop Ubuntu to play with so I don't think I'll upgrade it just yet, just in case any unforseen glitches screws up my ability to work with it.
Pu-239
Sith Marauder

Post by Pu-239 »

Been using it since the middle of the beta period (both Xubuntu and vanilla). Networkmanager is nice, though it was available in edgy. Better hardware support for my p5b deluxe (no more custom kernel). NTFS write support is nice. KVM on my C2D has been rather unstable- doesn't run Solaris quite right, but I'm using VMware.

Don't know about any installer improvements, since I only use the alternative installer, as I'm using LVM.
Last edited by Pu-239 on 2007-04-23 10:19am, edited 1 time in total.

ah.....the path to happiness is revision of dreams and not fulfillment... -SWPIGWANG
Sufficient Googling is indistinguishable from knowledge -somebody
Anything worth the cost of a missile, which can be located on the battlefield, will be shot at with missiles. If the US military is involved, then things, which are not worth the cost if a missile will also be shot at with missiles. -Sea Skimmer

George Bush makes freedom sound like a giant robot that breaks down a lot. -Darth Raptor
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

NTFS write support is nice.
I hadn't even noticed. Is it reliable?
Pu-239
Sith Marauder

Post by Pu-239 »

I think, I haven't used it very often, only to download the occasional patch to a windows game while I'm using Linux. It's supposed to be stable...

Hrm, in addtion, appears they fixed the ugly openoffice menu fonts since Beta.

ah.....the path to happiness is revision of dreams and not fulfillment... -SWPIGWANG
Anything worth the cost of a missile, which can be located on the battlefield, will be shot at with missiles. If the US military is involved, then things, which are not worth the cost if a missile will also be shot at with missiles. -Sea Skimmer

George Bush makes freedom sound like a giant robot that breaks down a lot. -Darth Raptor
Braedley
Jedi Council Member

Post by Braedley »

I plan on dual booting in the coming week (exam time is not the point where you want to be frigging around with your computer).
Bounty wrote:
NTFS write support is nice.
I hadn't even noticed. Is it reliable?
What? I don't have to change my media drive over to FAT32? Sweet!
My brother and sister-in-law: "Do you know where milk comes from?"
My niece: "Yeah, from the fridge!"
InnocentBystander
The Russian Circus

Post by InnocentBystander »

I'm considering loading it up on my old Socket A machine, I haven't had a computer running linux since RedHat 7 in highschool. I've been having a lot of trouble with ssh'ing into the school's BSD lab this semester, having a local machine that can compile C will be nice to have around.
Manus Celer Dei
Jedi Master

Post by Manus Celer Dei »

The window manager crapped itself as soon as I rebooted, but that was easily fixed.

Seems pretty nice, so far. I like how it automatically finds the need codecs to play video now.
"We will build cities in a day!"
"Man would cower at the sight!"
"We will build towers to the heavens!"
"Man was not built for such a height!"
"We will be heroes!"
"We will BUILD heroes!"
[/size][/i]
Drooling Iguana
Sith Marauder

Post by Drooling Iguana »

I've already burned the installation CD for my desktop (currently running Gentoo, as Ubuntu 6.10's kernel didn't support half the components of my motherboard) but I won't have time to install it before going to work. I might do it after I get home, or tomorrow.

I'm doing a network upgrade from 6.10 on my laptop as I type this, though.

Anyone know if GStreamer has ceased sucking, or will I have to stick with Xine for a while longer?
"Stop! No one can survive these deadly rays!"
"These deadly rays will be your death!"
- Thor and Akton, Starcrash

"Before man reaches the moon your mail will be delivered within hours from New York to California, to England, to India or to Australia by guided missiles.... We stand on the threshold of rocket mail."
- Arthur Summerfield, US Postmaster General 1953 - 1961
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

Firefox now dies trying to close a tab with Flash content running, aMSN 0.97b's prefs menu is broken, but at least it hasn't done an auto-shutdown...yet.
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Post by Admiral Valdemar »

I'm not upgrading until more issues are sorted. I had a few minor issues during my last upgrade, but nothing from clean installs.

I can wait until it's more well worn in and smoother running for the majority.
Pu-239
Sith Marauder

Post by Pu-239 »

Drooling Iguana wrote:I've already burned the installation CD for my desktop (currently running Gentoo, as Ubuntu 6.10's kernel didn't support half the components of my motherboard) but I won't have time to install it before going to work. I might do it after I get home, or tomorrow.

I'm doing a network upgrade from 6.10 on my laptop as I type this, though.

Anyone know if GStreamer has ceased sucking, or will I have to stick with Xine for a while longer?
Gstreamer still blows I believe. I switched to Xine when I installed the fresh beta, so it could have improved since then

Pu-239
Sith Marauder

Post by Pu-239 »

Bounty wrote:Firefox now dies trying to close a tab with Flash content running, aMSN 0.97b's prefs menu is broken, but at least it hasn't done an auto-shutdown...yet.
Nothing wrong w/ my flash, except for the fact that it's well... flash (and Firefox's unfixed bug w/ javascript menus appearing behind flash). Are you using repos or the one installed from adobe? (I'm using the latter)

Anybody else play w/ the builtin compiz yet? It appears having beryl on breaks it (then again, w/ beryl, who really needs compiz?). It's in system->preferences->desktop effects

Swing java apps also break w/ beryl/compiz- Java 6 update 1 is supposed to fix this, but it's not in repos. Workaround is run metacity while starting up the swing app, then switch back to beryl/compiz.

Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

Nothing wrong w/ my flash, except for the fact that it's well... flash (and Firefox's unfixed bug w/ javascript menus appearing behind flash). Are you using repos or the one installed from adobe? (I'm using the latter)
Adobe installer. I'm going to try a reinstall, see what happens.
Anybody else play w/ the builtin compiz yet?
Last time I tried my session lasted less than ten seconds.
EnsGabe
Youngling

Post by EnsGabe »

Pu-239 wrote:
Swing java apps also break w/ beryl/compiz- Java 6 update 1 is supposed to fix this, but it's not in repos. Workaround is run metacity while starting up the swing app, then switch back to beryl/compiz.
And if you need your desktop eye-candy, you can use Xnest to start a new X session within your currently running one and run your java apps in that.
The Monarch: "Anyone wanna explain to me why my coccoon is charred?"
24: "Because you told us to blow it up"
The Monarch: "And why it is sideways?"
21: "We were following orders! You can't yell at us for following orders."
24: "Or kill us for following orders."
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

After a manual un/reinstall, flash content seems to be fixed. Cross one problem off the list...

ETA: No compiz on my Xubuntu, not by default anyway.
Pu-239
Sith Marauder

Post by Pu-239 »

EnsGabe wrote:
Pu-239 wrote:
And if you need your desktop eye-candy, you can use Xnest to start a new X session within your currently running one and run your java apps in that.
Yeah, but one needs to copy/paste between apps and whatnot. Plus Xnest isn't really resizable. In any case, workaround works fine (Er, I meant switching back after app has loaded- it continues to work after switching to beryl, just has issues w/ resizing some swing apps (my custom ones, not netbeans)).

Bounty, are you using ATi or nVidia? ATI drivers require running a nested Xgl session to run the eye candy (kinda annoying to set up for the lazy). Integrated Intel drivers work fine.

Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

Bounty, are you using ATi or nVidia? ATI drivers require running a nested Xgl session to run the eye candy (kinda annoying to set up for the lazy). Integrated Intel drivers work fine.
ATI integrated. And not a very good one. I think I'm going to stick with the defaults.
SoX
Padawan Learner

Post by SoX »

Currently using Ubuntu Feisty. Decided to go for the leap to Linux because of the incoming support withdrawal of XP and I don't really want to go to Vista yet. Plus we're building a LAMP dialler platform, thought i'd best get my brains into a linux install.

Feisty seems to be stable for me. Took me a while to get the video working, so far only Mplayer works but is currently reading the movie files off of my NTFS media drive. Mounted absolutely fine.

No problems with aMSN and Firefox also seems well.

I am really liking Ubuntu Feisty. (I did have some problems with the isntall though i was doing it in a VERY roundabout way, didn't like my RAID drive at all at first.)
"groovy" - Ash, Evil Dead 2.
"no prizes for guessing 'the colour of the grass on the otherside' or the time on the moon" - Either Nick, Rye or Tony.
"your pills your grass your tits your ass"
" i pitty teh poor foo's that have to suffer Troy's anti-plan field"
"Escaped mental patients make better lovers" - Graffiti near Uni.
RThurmont
Jedi Master
Location: Desperately trying to find a local restaurant that serves foie gras.

Post by RThurmont »

I'm hoping to put Feisty on my Mac later today. The huge breakthrough with Feisty is that it uses the 2.6.20 kernel, with built-in virtualization, and my Mac Mini has VT-capable hardware. Ubuntu is also, to my knowledge, the only distro that runs really well on MacTel out of the box (with proper hardware detection et cetera). One of the core Kubuntu developers in fact is also an Apple hardware fanboy and uses it almost exclusively on iMacs.
"Here's a nickel, kid. Get yourself a better computer."
Pu-239
Sith Marauder

Post by Pu-239 »

RThurmont wrote:I'm hoping to put Feisty on my Mac later today. The huge breakthrough with Feisty is that it uses the 2.6.20 kernel, with built-in virtualization, and my Mac Mini has VT-capable hardware. Ubuntu is also, to my knowledge, the only distro that runs really well on MacTel out of the box (with proper hardware detection et cetera). One of the core Kubuntu developers in fact is also an Apple hardware fanboy and uses it almost exclusively on iMacs.
My experience w/ KVM blows, solaris installer would just hang (similar w/ kqemu). I just gave up and went back to VMware.

RThurmont
Jedi Master

Post by RThurmont »

I would assume that the PC you attempted to run it on had VT enabled, Pu? However, assuming it did (which I suspect it did, because from what I've heard about you I'm fairly confident you wouldn't post the above if it didn't), that would be indicative of an annoying bug.

I haven't used KVM yet, however, if it does suck, there are two alternatives that also can use VT: VirtualBox and Xen. Also, I do love VMWare, and at the very least, with Feisty on my Mac, I'll be able to use VMWare Server, as opposed to the beta version of what will undoubtably be their payware OS X app.
Pu-239
Sith Marauder

Post by Pu-239 »

RThurmont wrote:I would assume that the PC you attempted to run it on had VT enabled, Pu? However, assuming it did (which I suspect it did, because from what I've heard about you I'm fairly confident you wouldn't post the above if it didn't), that would be indicative of an annoying bug.

I haven't used KVM yet, however, if it does suck, there are two alternatives that also can use VT: VirtualBox and Xen. Also, I do love VMWare, and at the very least, with Feisty on my Mac, I'll be able to use VMWare Server, as opposed to the beta version of what will undoubtably be their payware OS X app.
Well, to be fair, most people using KVM would probably be running Windows or Linux in it, plus the solaris installer might have issues if one didn't set up virtual networking hardware w/ KVM beforehand- didn't investigate it in detail. My experiences w/ variants of QEMU which KVM uses haven't been too robust though.
VMware server is still better due to VMWare tools allowing copy/paste, video performance increases, etc. I might investigate KVM further when I have the time.

Xen adds some overhead even when it's not running anything other than dom0, so it's nto really suited for desktop usage, also not quite sure how well nVidia drivers work on it.

RThurmont
Jedi Master

Post by RThurmont »

Also, I myself have had big problems with Solaris in VMWare, in terms of instability (that occasionally neccessitates reversion to a snapshot, or reinstallation where a snapshot does not exist). I would assume that for whatever reason, Solaris is an unusually difficult OS to virtualize.