Jack the cat chases black bear up tree

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

dr. what
Jedi Master

Jack the cat chases black bear up tree

Post by dr. what »

First a reality show and now this...this is all part of their plan for World Domination, I just know it.....

WEST MILFORD, N.J. - A black bear picked the wrong yard for a jaunt, running into a territorial tabby who ran the furry beast up a tree — twice.
Jack, a 15-pound orange and white cat, keeps a close vigil on his property, often chasing small animals, but his owners and neighbors say his latest escapade was surprising.

"We used to joke, 'Jack's on duty,' never knowing he'd go after a bear," owner Donna Dickey told The Star-Ledger of Newark for Friday's editions.

Neighbor Suzanne Giovanetti first spotted Jack's accomplishment after her husband saw a bear climb a tree on the edge of their northern New Jersey property on Sunday. Giovanetti thought Jack was simply looking up at the bear, but soon realized the much larger animal was afraid of the hissing cat.

After about 15 minutes, the bear descended and tried to run away, but Jack chased it up another tree.

Dickey, who feared for her cat, then called Jack home and the bear scurried back to the woods.

"He doesn't want anybody in his yard," Dickey said.

Bear sightings are not unusual in West Milford, which experts consider one of the state's most bear-populated areas.
Duckie
Sith Marauder

Post by Duckie »

Okay, point for cats in the Cats vs. Dogs thread. :lol:
nickolay1
Jedi Knight

Post by nickolay1 »

"Owned" picture in 4...3...2...
Pick
Sith Marauder

Post by Pick »

Cats are territorial animals. I remember my grandma's cat, Curly Yellow, once fought off a stray Doberman to get it our of her yard. That cat was a fucking tooth-and-claw cuisinart when it was mad.
"The rest of the poem plays upon that pun. On the contrary, says Catullus, although my verses are soft (molliculi ac parum pudici in line 8, reversing the play on words), they can arouse even limp old men. Should Furius and Aurelius have any remaining doubts about Catullus' virility, he offers to fuck them anally and orally to prove otherwise." - Catullus 16, Wikipedia
felineki
Infantile Brat

Post by felineki »

nickolay1 wrote:"Owned" picture in 4...3...2...
I'm a trolling moron and my E-mail is mbiddinger@mchsi.com
Sriad
Sith Devotee

Post by Sriad »

...Greebo?
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Sriad wrote:...Greebo?
The same league, at any rate. Awesome :D
And people wonder why I'm a cat person.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

What gets me is how the bear got up that tree. Did he shimmy up the trunk or something?
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

Black bears climb trees about like cats do.
"If the facts are on your side, pound on the facts. If the law is on your side, pound on the law. If neither is on your side, pound on the table."

"The captain claimed our people violated a 4,000 year old treaty forbidding us to develop hyperspace technology. Extermination of our planet was the consequence. The subject did not survive interrogation."
Joe
Space Cowboy

Post by Joe »

Funny story, but realistically the cat is pretty lucky that the bear chose to flee. Black bears don't fuck around if they feel threatened.

BoTM / JL / MM / HAB / VRWC / Horseman

I'm studying for the CPA exam. Have a nice summer, and if you're down just sit back and realize that Joe is off somewhere, doing much worse than you are.
Civil War Man
NERRRRRDS!!!

Post by Civil War Man »

Considering that bears are the number 1 threat to America, I think Jack should earn the very distinctive honor of being the first feline recipient.

Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Damn straight. :D
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Post by Admiral Valdemar »

That is all kinds of awesome.
18-Till-I-Die
Emperor's Hand

Post by 18-Till-I-Die »

Lolpwned!

Dude...seriously that bear is such a pussy :lol: . Really. If i were fucking Yogi Bear i'm not going to run away from Mr. Jinx*.

Aww, did da widdle teddy bear get scurd by da big ole kitty? Did the murderous fifteen pound killing machine Jack maul your nose or something? You need Cindy to come and bat at him with her parasol? You want me to call Ranger Smith? Or maybe Boo-Boo, he's closer in general size. Wuss.

This is why i have always been a cat person. Cats arent pussies.

(*thats yer obscure cartoon reference there).
Kanye West Saves.

Medic
Sith Devotee

Post by Medic »

I hate dogs and cats, so I have no shame in pointing out a Wolverine would fucking eat that cat alive.
Glocksman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Glocksman »

PFC Brungardt wrote:I hate dogs and cats, so I have no shame in pointing out a Wolverine would fucking eat that cat alive.
Perhaps.
But then again, the bear would have to survive multiple 12 gauge rifled slug hits if it hurt my dog. :P
"You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours."- General Sir Charles Napier

Oderint dum metuant
Omega-185
Youngling

Post by Omega-185 »

felineki wrote:
nickolay1 wrote:"Owned" picture in 4...3...2...
<snip pwnage pic>
How much do you want to bet that by the end of the week there will be a ytmnd with that picture or one like it?
"Well, I've often thought the Bible should have a disclaimer in the front saying this is fiction. I mean, walking on water, it takes an act of faith. -Sir Ian McKellen

"When facism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the American flag." - Huey Long
General Brock
Jedi Council Member

Post by General Brock »

I've seen a video of a cat chasing a bear; I suppose not having medicare was a factor in the bear's decision. :)

I wonder if it is the same cat...

The distance up the tree delivers quite a bit more visual impact.
Spetulhu
Padawan Learner

Post by Spetulhu »

Some animals are so accustomed to being feared that they panic or freeze if someone is insane enough to threaten them. Someone who dares attack just HAS to be a fearsome killer!
"We don't negotiate with fish."
-M, High Priest of Shar
Stuart Mackey
Drunken Kiwi Editor of the ASVS Press

Post by Stuart Mackey »

Hmm, reminds me of our cat, Jack. He could stare down any dog that came up the drive, of course that was because Jack was the stupidest cat in the world and dogs were overpowered by this massive stupidity. I shit you not. His sister however was incredibly smart and would play practical jokes on people with lizards.
Via money Europe could become political in five years" "... the current communities should be completed by a Finance Common Market which would lead us to European economic unity. Only then would ... the mutual commitments make it fairly easy to produce the political union which is the goal"

Jean Omer Marie Gabriel Monnet
--------------
Rye
To Mega Therion

Post by Rye »

PFC Brungardt wrote:I hate dogs and cats, so I have no shame in pointing out a Wolverine would fucking eat that cat alive.
What the hell is the matter with you? Why on Earth would you hate cats and dogs?
EBC|Fucking Metal|Artist|Androgynous Sexfiend|Gozer Kvltist|
Listen to my music! http://www.soundclick.com/nihilanth
"America is, now, the most powerful and economically prosperous nation in the country." - Master of Ossus
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Stuart Mackey wrote:Hmm, reminds me of our cat, Jack. He could stare down any dog that came up the drive, of course that was because Jack was the stupidest cat in the world and dogs were overpowered by this massive stupidity. I shit you not. His sister however was incredibly smart and would play practical jokes on people with lizards.
We once had a cat like that.

Mum was once telling me about how one time, a doberman walked into our yard. She then heard the cat make "angry cat noises", and the doberman ran out of our yard a few seconds later.

But she was a rough cat. She mellowed out in later life, but when she was younger, she was afraid of nothing.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

It's an amusing story but not really that surprising. The bear's probably never seen a cat before, and when animals find something new, the usual reaction is 'poke at it' or 'run like hell' and if the new animal is acting aggressive, the first option usualy goes out the window as self-preservation kicks in.

For all Brer Bear knows, that aggressive little cat has some kind of poison or a whole pack somewhere around. So fortunately for Mr. Jack, he decides to play it safe and take off, otherwise that kitty would last about two seconds.
JADAFETWA
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

Its also compounded by the fact that black bears are also rather timmid when confronted agressively.

You meet a grizly bear and you quietly back away. You meet a black bear, you get agressive as hell with it to convince it that you aren't to be fucked with.
"If the facts are on your side, pound on the facts. If the law is on your side, pound on the law. If neither is on your side, pound on the table."

"The captain claimed our people violated a 4,000 year old treaty forbidding us to develop hyperspace technology. Extermination of our planet was the consequence. The subject did not survive interrogation."
WyrdNyrd
Jedi Knight

Post by WyrdNyrd »

Greebo: "Cruelly efficient at chasing down wildlife up to bear-sized"

Paraphrased from a book of Discworld character studies, drawn by Kidby, text by Pratchett. Screw my sideways if I can remember the actual title right now.