Zarqawi dead

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Zadius
Jedi Knight

Zarqawi dead

Post by Zadius »

This just in, I don't have a link yet.
VT-16
Sith Marauder

Post by VT-16 »

This is, what, the fifth time he's been declared dead? :roll:
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

He's got more lives than Shamil Basayev, apparantly.

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
Zadius
Jedi Knight

Post by Zadius »

They seem more sure about it this time. It was on NBC tv so I don't have a link, although msnbc.com has a breaking news banner on their website. There is going to be a press conference apparently.
Spacebeard
Padawan Learner

Post by Spacebeard »

CNN now has a "breaking news" banner up too, crediting the scoop to "an aide to Iraq's prime minister" while MSNBC says "US officials".

Well, I sure hope I find out this is for real when I wake up.
"This war, all around us, is being fought over the very meanings of words." - Chad, Deus Ex
Zadius
Jedi Knight

Post by Zadius »

They are saying that he was captured after being injured and that he later died of his injury, so they are sure he's dead.
Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You
For Those About to Rock We Salute You

Post by Dalton »

Gonna be a madhouse at work tomorrow.
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
Zadius
Jedi Knight

Post by Zadius »

Link
Reports: Iraq's al-Qaida Chief Dead
Iraqi Prime Minister Expected to Make Announcement Amid Report of Al-Zarqawi Death

BAGHDAD, Iraq Jun 8, 2006 (AP)— Iraqi Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki was expected to make an important announcement at a news conference in Baghdad on Thursday amid a report that al-Qaida in Iraq chief Abu Musab al-Zarqawi may have been killed, his adviser said.

Al-Maliki adviser Adnan al-Kazimi told The Associated Press there was a report that al-Zarqawi may have been killed late Wednesday in Baghdad. He said he could not confirm the report.

He said al-Maliki was scheduled to shortly give a news conference along with the top U.S. general in Iraq, Gen. George Casey.
Mr. Coffee
is an asshole.
Location: And banging your mom is half the battle... G.I. Joe!

Post by Mr. Coffee »

Fox has it too. They're waiting for a press conference some some General to confirm it.
Goddammit, now I'm forced to say in public that I agree with Mr. Coffee. - Mike Wong
I never would have thought I would wholeheartedly agree with Coffee... - fgalkin x2
Honestly, this board is so fucking stupid at times. - Thanas
GALE ForceCarwash: Oh, I'll wax that shit, bitch...
Mr. Coffee
is an asshole.

Post by Mr. Coffee »

MSNBC

Officials: Al-Qaida in Iraq's al-Zarqawi killed
NBC learns most wanted man in Iraq killed by Special Ops Forces

NBC News and news services
Updated: 16 minutes ago

BAGHDAD, Iraq - Al-Qaida in Iraq leader Abu Musab al-Zarqawi was killed overnight in an operation by U.S. Special Operations Forces, U.S. military officials told NBC News on Thursday.

ABC News reported that he was killed in a U.S. air attack on a house in Baghdad.

Iraqi Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki was expected to make an important announcement at a news conference in Baghdad on Thursday, one of his advisers said.
Story continues below ↓ advertisement

Al-Maliki adviser Adnan al-Kazimi told The Associated Press that he had heard a report that Jordanian terrorism mastermind al-Zarqawi may have been killed late Wednesday in Baghdad.

Al-Kazimi said he could not confirm the report. He said al-Maliki was scheduled to shortly give a news conference along with the top U.S. general in Iraq, Gen. George Casey.

Editor's note: This is a breaking news story. Please check back for more details.
NBC News' Jim Miklashevski and The Associated Press contributed to this report.
Goddammit, now I'm forced to say in public that I agree with Mr. Coffee. - Mike Wong
I never would have thought I would wholeheartedly agree with Coffee... - fgalkin x2
Mr. Coffee
is an asshole.

Post by Mr. Coffee »

General Casey just confirmed during the press conference.

Ding-dong, the prick is dead.
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

500$

500 big ones right now that this won't lesson the attacks in Iraq ONE BIT. Come on... Anyone? Anyone???
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Mr. Coffee
is an asshole.

Post by Mr. Coffee »

I don't take sucker bets, man...
MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

Post by MKSheppard »

I'll wait until we get confirmation and see his body. He's escaped us in the past far too many times.
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

He's got more lives than Shamil Basayev, apparantly.
Too bad he doesn't have as many legs and feet as Basayev... and arms. You know, Basaev must have had a good dozen arms and legs, judging by the reports of him losing arms/legs... :roll:
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
Zadius
Jedi Knight

Post by Zadius »

Terminated!
Jack Bauer
Jedi Knight

Post by Jack Bauer »

I can just see it now..

Sean Hannity: "The death of that murderous thug Zarqawi merely proves once again that President Bush's strategy for victory in Iraq is working!"

Funny, how his death (no matter how timely or satisfying it is) doesn't justify the complete mismanagement of the post-war insurgency in the FIRST place.

You can bet the Bush apologists will be milking this cow for all its worth. You can also bet that the Dems are gonna be spineless pussies and declare it as "a great victory for the president".
Sig by JME2
CJvR
Sith Devotee

Post by CJvR »

Burn in hell Zarq!
I thought Roman candles meant they were imported. - Kelly Bundy
12 yards long, two lanes wide it's 65 tons of American pride, Canyonero! - Simpsons
Support the KKK environmental program - keep the Arctic white!
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

Breaking news @ BBC
Iraqi Prime Minister Nouri Maliki has announced that militant leader Abu Musab al-Zarqawi has been killed.

"Today we have managed to put an end to Zarqawi," Mr Maliki said, sparking sustained applause.

The Jordanian-born leader of al-Qaeda in Iraq was considered the figurehead of the Sunni insurgency. Reports say he was killed in an air raid near Baquba.

Al-Qaeda in Iraq has been blamed for scores of bombings that have killed hundreds of Shias and US forces.

The head of US-led forces in Iraq, General George Casey, said Zarqawi's body was identified through fingerprints and facial recognition.

Zarqawi has also been accused of leading the rash of kidnappings and beheadings of foreign workers.

Unconfirmed reports suggested he was seen on one video posted on the internet personally cutting off the head of one hostage.

Mr Maliki said intelligence from Iraqi people had helped track down Zarqawi, who had a $25m price on his head.

"What happened today is a result of co-operation for which we have been asking from our masses and the citizens of our country," he said.

The prime minister urged Iraqis to join politcal dialogue rather than violence, vowing to "carry on on the same path... by killing all the terrorists".

The BBC's Ian Pannell in Baghdad says this will be seen as a major victory for the new Iraqi government and US forces but it remains to be seen what effect, if any, it has on the ongoing violence and death rate in the country.
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

BAGHDAD, Iraq (CNN) -- Abu Musab al-Zarqawi, the most wanted terrorist in Iraq, is dead, Iraqi Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki said Thursday.

"Today Zarqawi has been killed," al-Maliki said. The announcement was greeted by cheers.

The announcement -- made at a news conference -- did not provide details on how the infamous militant was killed. An aide to the prime minister told CNN that the prime minister confirmed that al-Zarqawi has been killed.

State TV said al-Zarqawi apparently died near the city of Baquba, a volatile area northeast of Baghdad in Diyala province, a mixed Shiite-Sunni jurisdiction.

There have been many roadside bombings and shootings throughout the province and within the week, severed heads were found in fruit boxes there.

In Washington, two Pentagon officials told CNN that the government was awaiting al-Maliki's announcement in Baghdad before commenting on the report officially.

One official said the Pentagon is not sure of how the death was confirmed and that there might need to be "additional forensics" done before they can be fully confident the terrorist leader is dead.

Officials could provide no further details at this time.

CNN's Jamie McIntyre contributed to this report.
CNN

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
Jason von Evil
Sol Badguy

Post by Jason von Evil »

Excellent. 8)
"It was the hooker rationing that finally drove people over the edge." - Mike on coup in Thailand.
Gil Hamilton
Tipsy Space Birdie

Post by Gil Hamilton »

Yeah, this is all over the news. It looks like they got him. Good riddance to the trash.
"Show me an angel and I will paint you one." - Gustav Courbet

"Quetzalcoatl, plumed serpent of the Aztecs... you are a pussy." - Stephen Colbert

"Really, I'm jealous of how much smarter than me he is. I'm not an expert on anything and he's an expert on things he knows nothing about." - Me, concerning a bullshitter
Jason von Evil
Sol Badguy

Post by Jason von Evil »

Guess the cockbite should've learned how to fire a gun. 8)
"It was the hooker rationing that finally drove people over the edge." - Mike on coup in Thailand.
Siege
Sith Marauder

Post by Siege »

That would've done wonders against an air raid I'm sure :D. Good riddance, at any rate.
SDN World 2: The North Frequesuan Trust
SDN World 3: The Sultanate of Egypt
SDN World 4: The United Solarian Sovereignty
SDN World 5: San Dorado
There'll be a bodycount, we're gonna watch it rise
The folks at CNN, they won't believe their eyes
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

One less waste of space to worry about