Baltimore MD Bridge Struck By Ship and Collapses!

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Baltimore MD Bridge Struck By Ship and Collapses!

Post by LadyTevar »

Francis Scott Key Bridge in Baltimore MD struck by Container Ship and Collapses -- LIVE UPDATES
Summary
A bridge in the US city of Baltimore has entirely collapsed into the Patapsco River after being hit by a container ship

Up to 20 people and several vehicles have fallen into the river, says Baltimore City Fire Department who are currently at the scene

The fire department says a large vessel hit a column of the Francis Scott Key Bridge at around 01:30 ET (05:30 GMT)

Videos on social media appear to show the bridge entirely descending into the water

A number of casualties have been reported and there is now a large multi-agency rescue and recovery operation under way
We're lucky it was hit in the early morning hours. Rush Hour traffic would have had hundreds of cars on the bridge, just like the collapse of the Silver Bridge in Point Pleasant WV, the last major bridge-collapse in the US.

Why the container ship wasn't in the correct channel to safely go under the bridge is going to be the BIG question. The ship is flagged for Singapore.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Marko Dash
Jedi Knight

Re: Baltimore MD Bridge Struck By Ship and Collapses!

Post by Marko Dash »

https://twitter.com/stayskepticalll/sta ... JG_Vm2jjAA

looks like total power failure on the ship
If a black-hawk flies over a light show and is not harmed, does that make it immune to lasers?
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

NY Times Live Thread

The entire port is shut down because of the bridge collapse and ongoing rescue operations but unfortunately the bridge collapse happened seven hours ago, the chance of anyone being alive and not yet found at this point is remote.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Latest: it is confirmed that the ship lost power. The crew got off a mayday, alerting to the possibility of an impact with the bridge which, apparently, allowed the authorities to stop at least some traffic from getting onto the bridge which probably saved some lives.

The ship WAS in the correct channel, but when they lost power they also lost all steering ability and the ship essentially drifted into the bridge.

There was a construction crew filling potholes on the bridge deck. 6 of them are unaccounted for. I agree that given the amount of time gone by prospects of finding them alive are dim to non-existent.

Two people were pulled alive from the water, one with minimal injuries and another in the hospital in serious condition.

Although there were some protective structures around the supports for the bridge they might as well have been tissue paper when it came to blocking the massive container ship. The bridge was designed in the 1960's/early 70's and completed in 1977, an era before today's truly massive container ships.

And yes, thank goodness this wasn't at rush hour with traffic backed up along the bridge.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

Port worker says cargo ship had 'serious power outages' days before hitting Francis Scott Key Bridge
A port worker has said the cargo ship that rammed the Francis Scott Key Bridge in Baltimore was experiencing technical issues for two days before the crash.

Julie Mitchell, Co-Administrator of Container Royal, which tracks the tonnage on container ships in Baltimore port, told ITV News the ship was "having serious power outages".

She said: "The reefer boxes that we have, one of which is the refrigerated boxes, were actually tripping the breakers or mechanics that were keeping the generators running on those while they were trying to fix the ship.

"They weren’t even holding that, they were tripping breakers on that, they had a severe electrical problem. "

ITV News is unable to independently verify this information, but the ship's operators reported losing power moments before the collision.

While it is unclear why the ship did not stop, video shows all the lights on the huge vessel turning black seconds before hitting the bridge.

It has also emerged the container ship dropped its anchor prior to impact as part of its emergency procedures after losing propulsion, the Maritime and Port Authority of Singapore (MPA) said in a statement Tuesday.

Six people, who were repairing potholes on the bridge at the time of the crash, remain missing and are now presumed dead by their employers, Jeffrey Pritzker, executive vice president of Brawner Builders, said.

The bodies of the workers have not yet been recovered, but they are presumed to have died given the water’s depth and the amount of time that has passed since the crash, he said.

Two people were pulled from the water, with one person taken to hospital in a serious condition, James Wallace, Chief of Baltimore City Fire Department said during a press conference. They have now been discharged, the hospital has confirmed to ITV News.

A fellow construction company employee says he was told his missing co-workers were on a break and some were sitting in their trucks when a Baltimore bridge collapsed.

“I was praying to God that nothing had happened to them,” Campos said, speaking in Spanish.

"A month ago I was there, and I know what it feels like when the trailers pass. Imagine knowing that it is falling. It is so hard, one would not know what to do,” Campos said.

In the moments before impact, at around 1.30am on Tuesday, the ship's crew sent out a mayday call moments before impact, allowing Maryland police to stop people driving across, the Maryland governor said.

"These people are heroes," Gov Wes Moore told reporters. "They saved lives last night."

“Never would you think that you would see, physically see, the Key Bridge tumble down like that. It looked like something out of an action movie,” said Baltimore Mayor Brandon Scott, calling it "an unthinkable tragedy".

The DALI container ship crashed into the bridge at around 1.30am local time, and appears to have caught fire, according to a video posted on X, formerly Twitter.

Temperatures at the port were around -1C at the time of the collision.

The container ship was not being manned by its own crew at the time of the collision, but by local pilots who are typically brought in to maneuver boats from ports to open water.

Baltimore bridge collapse: Everything we know so far
ITV News Political Correspondent Romilly Weeks talks through how the collision unfolded from the scene of the collapse

Authorities, using sonar, drones and infrared technology have detected a number of vehicles submerged in the water, but they don't have "a count" of how many yet.

Multiple vehicles were on the bridge at the time, including one the size of a tractor-trailer.

Initial reports of the incident suggested the vessel began sinking following the impact, but it has since been clarified that it has not sunk.

It is too early to know the cause of Tuesday's accident, Maryland Transportation Secretary Paul Wiedefeld at a news conference, as reported by CNN.

Police, as well as President Joe Biden have said there is so indication the incident was intentional or a terrorist attack.

The US leader said he hopes federal government will pay for the damage, and is planning to visit Baltimore "as quickly as I can," in a statement on Tuesday.

Two people have been rescued from the water, one of which is in a serious condition. At least seven others are still missing, Baltimore Fire Chief James Wallace said

All 22 members of the ship's crew, including two pilots, have been accounted for and there were no reports of injuries, according to the managing firm.

US Coastguard official Kimberly Reaves said it is currently unclear if there are any casualties.

Dive teams are currently in attendance joining the search for those in the water.

“Our focus right now is trying to rescue and recover these people,” Mr Cartwright said.

The Singapore-registered vessel which, was chartered by Danish shipping company Maers had been rerouted from Baltimore to Colombo, Sri Lanka.

Mr Cartwright said it appears there are “some cargo or retainers hanging from the bridge,” creating unsafe and unstable conditions, and emergency responders are operating cautiously as a result.

In June inspectors found a problem with the ship's machinery but according to the shipping information system Equasis, a more recent examination the Dali, did not identify any deficiencies.

Officials are assessing the condition of the bridge following the collapse but in a previous inspections it was rated as being in fair condition.

The bridge did not appear to have pier protection to withstand the cargo ship crash, according to a professor of civil and environmental engineering.

“If a bridge pier without adequate protection is hit by a ship of this size, there is very little that the bridge could do,” Professor Roberto Leon, of Virginia Tech, said he reviewed the video of the crash.

An estimated 11.5 million vehicles cross the bridge, which is named after Francis Scott Key, who wrote "The Star-Spangled Banner" every year - that's approximately 31,500 vehicles every day.

Mr Cartwright said: "This bridge has been in place for quite some time and has served many, many commuters in the Baltimore metropolitan area.

"So as the investigation ensues, there will be structural engineers involved to try and assess what the condition of the bridge is."

There remains disruption around the bridge and the surrounding areas as a result of the incident.