Queen Margrethe II Abdicates

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Queen Margrethe II Abdicates

Post by LadyTevar »

Queen Margrethe II abdicates during holiday message
Queen Margrethe II: Danish monarch announces abdication live on TV

Denmark's Queen Margrethe II has announced her surprise abdication in a new year TV address.

She will formally step down on 14 January, which will be 52 years to the day since she became queen.
"I will leave the throne to my son, Crown Prince Frederik," she announced.
The 83-year-old is the world's only reigning queen and the longest serving current monarch in Europe, taking the throne after the death of her father King Frederik IX in 1972.

Unlike British royal tradition, there will be no formal crowning ceremony for Crown Prince Frederik, who is 55. Instead, his accession will be announced from Amalienborg Castle in Copenhagen on the day.
He will take her place as King of Denmark and head of state in the country - which is a constitutional monarchy - as well as in Greenland and the Faroe Islands.
His Australian-born wife, Princess Mary, will become Denmark's Queen Consort.
Queen Margrethe revealed that she came to the decision after a period of reflection following surgery on her back in early 2023.
"The surgery naturally gave rise to thinking about the future - whether the time had come to leave the responsibility to the next generation," she said.
"I have decided that now is the right time," she added, and offered her thanks to the Danish public for their support over the years.
There's more to the article, details on her reign up til now, etc.

BBC also has a "Who Is Crown Prince Frederik" article for those of us who don't know him.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet