Negligence and misconduct' enabled Jeffrey Epstein's suicide, US watchdog rules

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Negligence and misconduct' enabled Jeffrey Epstein's suicide, US watchdog rules

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

'Negligence and misconduct' enabled Jeffrey Epstein's suicide, US watchdog rules
A "combination of negligence and misconduct" enabled Jeffrey Epstein to take his own life at a federal jail in New York City, the Justice Department’s watchdog has said.

The 66-year-old financier died at the Metropolitan Correctional Center while awaiting trial on sex trafficking charges in August 2019.

Just two weeks before, he was placed on suicide watch for 31 hours after what jail officials said was a suicide attempt that left his neck bruised and scraped.

It has now come to light, according to the watchdog, that the failure to assign Epstein a cellmate after his previous one left and problems with surveillance cameras were factors in his death.

Inspector General Michael Horowitz cited the negligence of the federal Bureau of Prisons, saying that Epstein was left in his cell with too many bed linens, which were used in his suicide.

The inspector general issued a report of findings from his investigation into Epstein's death, the last of several official inquiries into the matter.

He reiterated the findings of other investigations that there was no indication of foul play, rebutting conspiracy theories surrounding the high-profile death.

Mr Horowitz also echoed previous conclusions that some members of the jail staff involved in guarding Epstein were overworked, identifying 13 employees with poor performance, and recommending charges against six workers.

The workers assigned to guard Epstein were sleeping and shopping online instead of checking on him every 30 minutes as required, prosecutors have said.

Only the two workers tasked with guarding Epstein were charged, avoiding jail time in a plea deal after admitting to falsifying logs.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Re: Negligence and misconduct' enabled Jeffrey Epstein's suicide, US watchdog rules

Post by bilateralrope »

That's about what I was expecting given the reports that came out around Epstein's death.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Re: Negligence and misconduct' enabled Jeffrey Epstein's suicide, US watchdog rules

Post by Solauren »

I have doubts it was a suicide, but the factors involved made staging one much easier.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Solauren wrote: 2023-06-27 07:27pm I have doubts it was a suicide, but the factors involved made staging one much easier.
The big hole in all the "Epstein was murdered" conspiracies is the first suicide attempt. If that was a murder attempt, why did he stay silent ?

At most, maybe there was a conspiracy to make it easier for him to kill himself. But even that requires some evidence.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

bilateralrope wrote: 2023-06-28 02:50am
Solauren wrote: 2023-06-27 07:27pm I have doubts it was a suicide, but the factors involved made staging one much easier.
The big hole in all the "Epstein was murdered" conspiracies is the first suicide attempt. If that was a murder attempt, why did he stay silent ?

At most, maybe there was a conspiracy to make it easier for him to kill himself. But even that requires some evidence.
Oh, I admit, there is no evidence beyond stuff covered by the saying 'Never attribute to maliciousness what can be attributed to incompetence' (or something similar). However, the fact that people didn't take the steps to prevent a suicide/murder, with such a high profile individual (one that may have been able to legally destroy who knows how many powerful people) is enough to make disqualifying it impossible.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

'We can't completely rule it out' is just another way of saying there's no real evidence that it happened. Come on.

I have no trouble believing it because even before this report came out that facility had a reputation for being understaffed and overworked. It really is just that simple.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Solauren wrote: 2023-06-28 09:51am
Oh, I admit, there is no evidence beyond stuff covered by the saying 'Never attribute to maliciousness what can be attributed to incompetence' (or something similar). However, the fact that people didn't take the steps to prevent a suicide/murder, with such a high profile individual (one that may have been able to legally destroy who knows how many powerful people) is enough to make disqualifying it impossible.
How do the "Epstein was murdered" theories explain his first suicide attempt and following silence ?

Because that looks like it disproves the conspiracy nonsense. Unless there is some explanation I'm not aware of.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

I am truly amazed at the amount of energy people put into conspiracy theories. Do they find it somehow comforting to think there are secret cabals intent on villainy?

I think we need to distribute more of Occam's razors.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Broomstick wrote: 2023-06-30 06:48am I am truly amazed at the amount of energy people put into conspiracy theories. Do they find it somehow comforting to think there are secret cabals intent on villainy?

I think we need to distribute more of Occam's razors.
Well to some people that there's a secret cabal of Villainy is more comforting then things happening "just because". In this case a secret cabal of Villainy implies a purpose and meaning behind these events while the alternative implies it all happened because of incompetence and the cause and effect were unrelated (meaning the staff at prison weren't untrained and overworked with the intent of allowing Epstein to be killed but rather the quality of the staff was enable the first but was not there for that purpose).
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

bilateralrope wrote: 2023-06-30 05:05am
Solauren wrote: 2023-06-28 09:51am
How do the "Epstein was murdered" theories explain his first suicide attempt and following silence ?

Because that looks like it disproves the conspiracy nonsense. Unless there is some explanation I'm not aware of.
The only possible 'conspiracy' that I've EVER championed on this is deliberate/malicious negligence.
(I will discuss conspiracies from multiple angles, however. Sometimes the best way to be able to rip a conspiracy apart is to understand it).

Most people, when faced with the situation Epstein found himself in - From Rich, Powerful, and with Influence, to 'next Prison bitch', are likely to try to take their own life. So there is no need to kill him to keep him quiet.
All you have to do is send him to a prison with a horrible reputation and management, and let him do it himself.

That's NOT a conspiracy. That's someone in power being sensible/covering for someone else.

Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

That's just normal
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Ralin wrote: 2023-07-03 12:38am That's just normal
Exactly

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Solauren wrote: 2023-07-04 08:42am
Ralin wrote: 2023-07-03 12:38am That's just normal
Exactly
That's literally giving him the rope to hang himself.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet