Pat Robertson is finally dead.

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Soontir C'boath
SG-14: Fuck the Medic!
Location: Queens, NYC I DON'T FUCKING CARE IF MANHATTEN IS CONSIDERED NYC!! I'M IN IT ASSHOLE!!!

Pat Robertson is finally dead.

Post by Soontir C'boath »

Surprised this wasn't posted here yet.
Rolling Stones wrote:Pat Robertson, Televangelist Who Blamed Gay People for 9/11 and Hurricanes, Dies

The conspiratorial hatemonger who founded the Christian Broadcasting Network helped usher Christian-conservatism into the mainstream

BY RYAN BORT

PAT ROBERTSON, THE televangelist who ran for the Republican presidential nomination in 1988, died on Thursday at age 93. The Christian Broadcasting Network, which Robertson founded in 1960, announced the news Thursday morning.

Robertson is widely credited with ushering Christian-conservatism into mainstream politics in the 1980s and 1990s, and laying the groundwork for the modern right-wing culture war. He has a history of extreme, bigoted commentary — including that gay people and abortion caused 9/11, that Haitians deserved the 2010 earthquake that ravaged the island nation, and that feminists are evil.

The 700 Club, Robertson’s long-running program on the CBN, was his most common platform for hate. In the days after 9/11, he brought on pastor Jerry Falwell to discuss the tragedy. “I really believe that the pagans, and the abortionists, and the feminists, and the gays and the lesbians who are actively trying to make that an alternative lifestyle, the ACLU, People for the American Way, all of them who have tried to secularize America, I point the finger in their face and say, ‘You helped this happen,'” Falwell said, to which Robertson said “I totally concur” and that the “agenda” has been adopted by the “highest levels of our government.”

Robertson’s bigotry toward gay people was boundless. He said on The 700 Club that he wished Facebook had a “vomit button” for when he came across a picture of gay people kissing, equated gay people with Nazis and Satanists, and suggested God unleashed hurricanes and other natural disasters as punishment for homosexuality. “I would warn Orlando that you’re right in the way of some serious hurricanes, and I don’t think I’d be waving those flags in God’s face if I were you,” he said of Disney World’s Gay Days. “It’ll bring about terrorist bombs; it’ll bring earthquakes, tornadoes, and possibly a meteor.”

Robertson was very much an active participant in the modern, far-right Christian conservatism he helped create. He supported Donald Trump in 2016 and 2020, and described those trying to stop him from doing so as “revolting against what God’s plan is for America.” After a gunman killed 60 people in Las Vegas in 2017, Robertson blamed “disrespect” for Trump. Robertson broke from the former president after the 2020 election, however, saying Trump needed to “move on” from the loss and that it would be “a mistake” for him to run again in 2024.
I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action"; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a "more convenient season."
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Re: Pat Robertson is finally dead.

Post by LadyTevar »

He was a nasty man, and his preaching caused a lot of pain and suffering.

Bastard needed to die long ago.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

He invited Jonas Savimbi on the 700 Club and praised him as a hero. Jonas Savimbi is best known for leading a genocidal was against Kembundus and other ethnic groups in Angola, as well as burning women and girls alive for witchcraft:

Washington Post
WHEN I first met George Pinto Chikoti in 1977, he was a trusted member of the anti-Angolan government guerrilla movement UNITA. Eleven years later, a disillusioned Chikoti left UNITA, revolted, he says, by a long string of human rights abuses within the movement. Those abuses, he charges, came under orders from the group's charismatic leader, Jonas Malheiro Savimbi, a favorite of American conservatives for more than a decade.

Savimbi will tour Capitol Hill this week seeking continuation of the tens of millions of dollars in U.S. aid that he has received since 1986 as well as to renew his close ties with U.S. intelligence officials. Many of those Savimbi will visit are aware of the charges.

Chikoti's allegations against Savimbi include the beating of suspected opponents to death, torture and -- on two occasions -- the mass incineration of adults and children on charges of witchcraft and subversion. Chikoti says Savimbi's targets were precisely those UNITA men and women who seemed most capable of challenging his dominance, then or in the future.

Amnesty International, the human rights group, began reporting on specific allegations in 1988. In two reports issued last year, Amnesty said three women were burned to death in 1982; and it identified Aurora Katalayo, Joao Kalitangui, his wife, three children and a 12-year-old niece among 12 persons burned to death in 1983.

Chikoti says that Aurora Katalayo's 14-year-old daughter, Mbimbi, and 6-year-old son were burned with her. According to Chikoti, Savimbi justified the killing of the children by saying that "The sons and daughters of witches are also witches."

The charges made by Chikoti and other once-trusted defectors of his generation are difficult to dismiss. By going public, they have forever alienated themselves from the man they were taught as children to idolize and exiled themselves from the organization in which they all grew up. Members of their families have denounced them and the lives of their many relatives still in UNITA have been endangered.
The fires of hell are going to burn a little brighter now that Pat Robertson has been tossed into the flames.
bobalot
Jedi Council Member

Post by bobalot »

This Pride Month is awesome.
"This statement, in its utterly clueless hubristic stupidity, cannot be improved upon. I merely quote it in admiration of its perfection." - Garibaldi

"Problem is, while the Germans have had many mea culpas and quite painfully dealt with their history, the South is still hellbent on painting themselves as the real victims. It gives them a special place in the history of assholes" - Covenant

"Over three million died fighting for the emperor, but when the war was over he pretended it was not his responsibility. What kind of man does that?'' - Saburo Sakai

Join SDN on Discord
Highlord Laan
Jedi Master
Location: Christo-fundie Theofascist Dominion of Nebraskistan

Post by Highlord Laan »

Pat
Robertson
Is
Dead
Everybody!
Last edited by Highlord Laan on 2023-06-12 09:51am, edited 1 time in total.
Never underestimate the ingenuity and cruelty of the Irish.
Highlord Laan
Jedi Master
Location: Christo-fundie Theofascist Dominion of Nebraskistan

Post by Highlord Laan »

doublepost
Never underestimate the ingenuity and cruelty of the Irish.
madd0c0t0r2
Padawan Learner

Post by madd0c0t0r2 »

bobalot wrote: 2023-06-12 03:22am This Pride Month is awesome.
Berslusconi has died too.
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

But Kissinger still lives. Where's Dr Van Helsing when we need him?
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

He won't be missed