Donald Trump Indicted in New York

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Re: Donald Trump Indicted in New York

Post by bilateralrope »

LadyTevar wrote: 2023-04-04 08:13am
Zaune wrote: 2023-04-03 06:00pm Good thing these particular fash have been undermined by their own massive incompetence, then, because what other aspiring tyrant has been dumb enough to alienate the army in the run-up to a coup attempt?

*sigh* I suppose it's a sign that American democracy must have something going for it if the first serious attempt to get rid of it since at least the 30s was carried out by a bunch of absolute morons...
I can't remember where now, but I saw where someone was saying that there was an attempt to get a riot going, but every time one of them tried to start the ball rolling, the others would accuse them of being "government agents", "Anti-Fas", or "trying to get us arrested".
That's not the lesson I'd have liked them to learn from Jan 6, but it's close enough for now.
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

By the way, does anyone remember exactly what the Republicans want Hunter Biden arrested for in reprisal for charges being brought against Trump? Because it's been coming up a lot on Twitter.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

I've asked my Trumpist friend and didn't get a clear answer. He's convinced Hunter did something illegal but what exactly is as fuzzy as a vaseline-covered camera lens.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
bobalot
Jedi Council Member

Post by bobalot »

Broomstick wrote: 2023-04-05 04:24pm I've asked my Trumpist friend and didn't get a clear answer. He's convinced Hunter did something illegal but what exactly is as fuzzy as a vaseline-covered camera lens.
Sounds like an idiot.
"This statement, in its utterly clueless hubristic stupidity, cannot be improved upon. I merely quote it in admiration of its perfection." - Garibaldi

"Problem is, while the Germans have had many mea culpas and quite painfully dealt with their history, the South is still hellbent on painting themselves as the real victims. It gives them a special place in the history of assholes" - Covenant

"Over three million died fighting for the emperor, but when the war was over he pretended it was not his responsibility. What kind of man does that?'' - Saburo Sakai

Join SDN on Discord
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

Zaune wrote: 2023-04-05 03:41pm By the way, does anyone remember exactly what the Republicans want Hunter Biden arrested for in reprisal for charges being brought against Trump? Because it's been coming up a lot on Twitter.
Something something Ukrainian corruption something.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Rogue 9 wrote: 2023-04-05 05:13pm
Zaune wrote: 2023-04-05 03:41pm By the way, does anyone remember exactly what the Republicans want Hunter Biden arrested for in reprisal for charges being brought against Trump? Because it's been coming up a lot on Twitter.
Something something Ukrainian corruption something.
But importantly, all done in a way that differentiates it from Republicans with similar overseas dealings.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

bobalot wrote: 2023-04-05 05:00pm
Broomstick wrote: 2023-04-05 04:24pm I've asked my Trumpist friend and didn't get a clear answer. He's convinced Hunter did something illegal but what exactly is as fuzzy as a vaseline-covered camera lens.
Sounds like an idiot.
He's actually quite intelligent in some respects, but he's blinded to his own political bias. He also, despite being well educated in some other areas, has a poor grasp of politics.

Fortunately, we have quite a few common interests outside of politics.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

Gandalf wrote: 2023-04-05 05:27pm
Rogue 9 wrote: 2023-04-05 05:13pm Something something Ukrainian corruption something.
But importantly, all done in a way that differentiates it from Republicans with similar overseas dealings.
Oh, yeah, I remember now. Something about someone finding incriminating documents on a laptop that they acquired under questionable circumstances...

Honestly, if they're actually committed to trumping up some charges out of spite they'd have more luck trying to get Hunter on something narcotics-related, there's at least an outside chance they wouldn't have to fabricate evidence for that.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

I Have A Blog
bobalot
Jedi Council Member

Post by bobalot »

They got nothing on Hunter because that laptop was obtained illegally and went through numerous hands.
"This statement, in its utterly clueless hubristic stupidity, cannot be improved upon. I merely quote it in admiration of its perfection." - Garibaldi

"Problem is, while the Germans have had many mea culpas and quite painfully dealt with their history, the South is still hellbent on painting themselves as the real victims. It gives them a special place in the history of assholes" - Covenant

"Over three million died fighting for the emperor, but when the war was over he pretended it was not his responsibility. What kind of man does that?'' - Saburo Sakai

Join SDN on Discord
Dominus Atheos
Sith Marauder

Post by Dominus Atheos »

The big thing that the right thinks they have on Hunter Biden is that he effectively sold his last name to several Russian, Chinese, and Ukrainian businesses, especially Ukrainian energy company Burisima.

That's not actually a crime though, being hired by a company to do nothing because of who you are related to. The trump children would be serving life sentences if being hired by a company solely because of there last name was a crime.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

bobalot wrote: 2023-04-07 08:54pm They got nothing on Hunter because that laptop was obtained illegally and went through numerous hands.
I'm surprised Hunter's laptop wasn't encrypted.
My work provided laptop is

Password to decrypt for boot up (Note - Bios password is different, and I don't have that)
Requires a password to login to windows
Another password for the VPN
Another password for the software encryption (I can now decrypt and read files beyond that needed for start up)

(After that, it's standard password/security set up I've seen any decently secured office).
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

That's assuming it actually is Hunter Biden's laptop. I stopped taking the story seriously right about the time the computer repair guy said Hunter brought it into his shop in Delaware (Hunter lives in California) for repair and then never came to pick it up. Makes no sense.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Rogue 9 wrote: 2023-04-08 01:12am That's assuming it actually is Hunter Biden's laptop. I stopped taking the story seriously right about the time the computer repair guy said Hunter brought it into his shop in Delaware (Hunter lives in California) for repair and then never came to pick it up. Makes no sense.
The thing that came closest to convincing me that it was Hunter Biden's laptop was his lawsuit about it. Though even that comes with:
Biden’s lawyers continue to stop short of acknowledging if the laptop was actually his. “This is not an admission by Mr. Biden that Mac Isaac (or others) in fact possessed any particular laptop containing electronically stored data belonging to Mr. Biden. Rather, Mr. Biden simply acknowledges that at some point, Mac Isaac obtained electronically stored data, some of which belonged to Mr. Biden.”
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

Rogue 9 wrote: 2023-04-08 01:12amThat's assuming it actually is Hunter Biden's laptop. I stopped taking the story seriously right about the time the computer repair guy said Hunter brought it into his shop in Delaware (Hunter lives in California) for repair and then never came to pick it up. Makes no sense.
I think the implication that Hunter was visiting his dad at the time, for extra guilt-by-association points. But either way, I'm fairly sure that if the laptop
existed at all then that computer repair guy is not being honest about how he came by the contents of its hard drive. Most likely scenario for the whole thing not being imaginary is that it developed a fault while he was visiting the family home, he took it to the repair shop and was informed that it was beyond economic repair, he paid them whatever nominal fee they charge for disposal of e-waste but the owner decided to rifle through the hard drive looking for blackmail material instead of wiping it.

-- fgalkin

I Have A Blog
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Zaune wrote: 2023-04-08 05:44am
Rogue 9 wrote: 2023-04-08 01:12amThat's assuming it actually is Hunter Biden's laptop. I stopped taking the story seriously right about the time the computer repair guy said Hunter brought it into his shop in Delaware (Hunter lives in California) for repair and then never came to pick it up. Makes no sense.
I think the implication that Hunter was visiting his dad at the time, for extra guilt-by-association points. But either way, I'm fairly sure that if the laptop
existed at all then that computer repair guy is not being honest about how he came by the contents of its hard drive. Most likely scenario for the whole thing not being imaginary is that it developed a fault while he was visiting the family home, he took it to the repair shop and was informed that it was beyond economic repair, he paid them whatever nominal fee they charge for disposal of e-waste but the owner decided to rifle through the hard drive looking for blackmail material instead of wiping it.
That is not a bad theory, and one I think may be what happened.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

LadyTevar wrote: 2023-04-08 10:03am
Zaune wrote: 2023-04-08 05:44am
That is not a bad theory, and one I think may be what happened.
If so then it's a noob move on Biden junior's part for not retaining the drive or erasing/destroying it.
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

EnterpriseSovereign wrote: 2023-04-08 01:37pmIf so then it's a noob move on Biden junior's part for not retaining the drive or erasing/destroying it.
Not really. Committing that kind of breach of trust should by rights kill a business stone dead, because even if the perpetrator somehow managed to avoid going to jail or being sued, nobody with any sensitive data stored on their computers would ever do business with them again.

-- fgalkin

I Have A Blog
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Zaune wrote: 2023-04-08 04:18pm
EnterpriseSovereign wrote: 2023-04-08 01:37pmIf so then it's a noob move on Biden junior's part for not retaining the drive or erasing/destroying it.
Not really. Committing that kind of breach of trust should by rights kill a business stone dead, because even if the perpetrator somehow managed to avoid going to jail or being sued, nobody with any sensitive data stored on their computers would ever do business with them again.
You'd be surprised how often people forget that kind of thing (that someone screwed up) when it comes to 'I know them, they do good work'.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Solauren wrote: 2023-04-09 09:32am
Zaune wrote: 2023-04-08 04:18pm
You'd be surprised how often people forget that kind of thing (that someone screwed up) when it comes to 'I know them, they do good work'.
Especially if the problem looked to be with the hard drive.
When I finally got my old Asus to a computer tech, they were able to copy the hard drive, but gave me back the physical drive. I wonder if the tech Hunter used just gave him the copy and kept the physical.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

As I recall it, the tech business claimed that he never returned to pick up the completed work and pay at all.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

That also strikes me as unlikely. Trusting that your laptop is reasonably secure while in the hands of a repair shop is one thing, even if the hard drive is unencrypted: It takes a certain amount of time and effort to circumvent the login password, and quite frankly the majority of techies have better things to do with their time when they're on the clock.

Handing a laptop over and then just... forgetting to collect it, or pay for the work, when there's supposedly compromising documents on it? That seems a lot less likely, to say the least.

If this laptop ever actually existed outside the fevered imagination of the guy who claims to have fixed it, which is still very much an open question, he is almost certainly lying about how he obtained the data on it. And if there was proof that Hunter Biden was involved in anything illegal on the thing then it's now completely worthless because there's been ample opportunity to tamper with it.

-- fgalkin

I Have A Blog
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Zaune wrote: 2023-04-09 11:15am That also strikes me as unlikely. Trusting that your laptop is reasonably secure while in the hands of a repair shop is one thing, even if the hard drive is unencrypted: It takes a certain amount of time and effort to circumvent the login password, and quite frankly the majority of techies have better things to do with their time when they're on the clock.

Handing a laptop over and then just... forgetting to collect it, or pay for the work, when there's supposedly compromising documents on it? That seems a lot less likely, to say the least.

If this laptop ever actually existed outside the fevered imagination of the guy who claims to have fixed it, which is still very much an open question, he is almost certainly lying about how he obtained the data on it. And if there was proof that Hunter Biden was involved in anything illegal on the thing then it's now completely worthless because there's been ample opportunity to tamper with it.
Also there might be a case of "fruit of the poisonous tree" here for any evidence gained this way, after all if there's any doubt as to if this "evidence" was gained legally then it cannot really be used in court.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Zaune wrote: 2023-04-09 11:15am If this laptop ever actually existed outside the fevered imagination of the guy who claims to have fixed it,
One detail about him that I've heard is that he has poor eyesight. Which would make it easier for someone to pretend to be Hunter Biden when dropping off a laptop.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Realistically, Hunter probably has tech people that work for him.

People he can have someone take the laptop to, watch it get fixed and not connected to anything, and then bring it back, without them knowing just who in the organization's laptop they were working on.

Also, most tech shops see evidence that a computer is from a company (without being told it was from that company, possibly even without picking it up from said company), they won't touch it, or stop touching the second they see it. I was working on a computer that wouldn't POST (Power up On STart), got it to boot up, and then saw a 'Property of " as the default background at the login, I'd be calling that company to let them know someone dropped their computer off at a store unassociated with them company, and then the police to come and secure it.

The laptop could be stolen, or contain the kind of information corporations arrange to have people arrested over. I'd rather not spend the next 5 - 10 in jail over what someone else did, thank you very much.

Really, the entire 'Hunter Biden's laptop' thing is absolute garbage.

I bet if the documents had been released online, they'd read like a 6 year old wrote them.

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Ok.. Now that we've gone over Hunter Biden...

What's Going On With Trump?