Disney sidesteps DeSantis Board

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Disney sidesteps DeSantis Board

Post by LadyTevar »

Disney pulls Royal Clause to sidestep DeSantos
A board picked by Florida's governor to oversee Disney's Orlando theme parks says it has been neutered by a last-minute contract with a royal clause.

Disney ran the district for over half a century until Florida legislators punished the conglomerate for slamming state laws regulating sex education.
But the new board says its authority has been bypassed by restrictive covenants that cite King Charles III.
The Republican-aligned board is hiring lawyers to settle the matter.

"We're going to have to deal with it and correct it," board member Brian Aungst said on Wednesday at a public meeting.
He called Disney's actions "a naked attempt to circumvent the will of the voters and the will of the Florida Legislature".

In a brief statement, Disney said "all agreements signed between Disney and the District were appropriate, and were discussed and approved in open, noticed public forums".

The previous Disney-controlled board was known as the Reedy Creek Improvement District, and it ran the sprawling theme park resort in central Florida.
It approved the now-disputed agreement on 8 February, the day before the state's Republican-led legislature voted to empower the governor to pick his own board to oversee the 27,000 acres.

The newly created Central Florida Tourism Oversight District says the binding agreement passed last month by the previous board hands Disney total power over development of the area.
The declaration is valid until "21 years after the death of the last survivor of the descendants of King Charles III, king of England", according to the document.
Such so-called royal lives clauses have been inserted into legal documentation since the late 17th Century, and they are still found in some contracts in the UK, though rarely in the US.

The 151-page Florida agreement also states that no "fanciful characters" owned by Disney, including Mickey Mouse, can be used by the board. The use of the name Disney is also banned.

The new board's chairman, Martin Garcia, told an NBC affiliate that they may have to challenge the agreement in "protracted litigation".

Disney made a political enemy of the governor after criticising the state's Parental Rights in Education Act, signed by Mr DeSantis last April.
The measure bans instruction on sexual orientation and gender identity for pupils aged nine and under.
Supporters of the bill said it protects children from inappropriate content. Opponents dub the legislation "Don't Say Gay" and say it stigmatises LGBT youth.

The culture war between Mr DeSantis and Disney has helped elevate the governor's profile as a potential 2024 Republican presidential candidate.
So... ONE DAY before DeSantos pulled his attempt to take over Disney's control of Reedy Creek, the Board in charge passed a resolution that's good until the last English Royal Descendant of King Charles III is 21years dead. And since there's 5 Royal Kids now, each of which capable of continuing Charles's lineage, that might be a while.

IMHO DeSantos is losing the war with the House of Mouse, and I'm betting there's far more people on Disney's side than DeSanto's "will of legislature". I also bet that Disney has far better lawyers and can tie this up in Court for the next decade -- far longer than DeSantos' chances at President.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Re: Disney sidesteps DeSantis Board

Post by Lord Revan »

If I read this right even if King Charles III and all his children and grandchildren were to die today the declaration would be valid for another 21 years, am I correct here?

Oh and the chances of that happening are rather slim to begin with.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

Confirmed, the Florida legislature are a bunch of amateurs. :lol: I see Disney's been taking notes from the Wisconsin legislature (stripping power from the office of governor right before the inauguration of a Democrat).
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Lord Revan wrote: 2023-03-30 03:18pm If I read this right even if King Charles III and all his children and grandchildren were to die today the declaration would be valid for another 21 years, am I correct here?

Oh and the chances of that happening are rather slim to begin with.
Longer then that, actually. It goes until he has no further biological descendants of any kind. Meaning if his grandkids have kids, it continues until they are gone, etc.

Question is - They're using a foreign monarch, of a monarchy and family the US broke away from before Florida was part of the United States. Would it even hold up in court?
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Disney appears to think so and where legalese is concerned they usually know VERY well what they're doing.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

I feel that it says a lot about the current state of the Republican party, and absolutely none of it good, that the Disney Corporation having its own sovereign territory where its authority overrides that of the (theoretically) democratically elected local government is even being seen to be a net positive...
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

It's even more damning that it actually IS (as even people who hate Disney for all the right reasons admit)...
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Raw Shark
Stunt Driver / Babysitter

Post by Raw Shark »

Solauren wrote: 2023-03-30 04:34pmLonger then that, actually. It goes until he has no further biological descendants of any kind. Meaning if his grandkids have kids, it continues until they are gone, etc.

Question is - They're using a foreign monarch, of a monarchy and family the US broke away from before Florida was part of the United States. Would it even hold up in court?
It's actually a thing in law.
Wikipedia wrote:Royal lives were chosen because (a) it was assumed that being affluent, at least one or two members of the family could be assumed to live a reasonably long period of time, and (b) being royalty, it would be reasonably easy to calculate the lives of the descendants.
Note, however, that according to that article it doesn't last always and forever until the entire line is snuffed out, because it only applies to descendants who are alive at the time that the contract is drafted (even if they are currently a baby), not grandkids, great-grandkids, etc that they may have someday.

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Raw Shark wrote: 2023-03-30 09:04pm It's actually a thing in law.
Wikipedia wrote:Royal lives were chosen because (a) it was assumed that being affluent, at least one or two members of the family could be assumed to live a reasonably long period of time, and (b) being royalty, it would be reasonably easy to calculate the lives of the descendants.
Note, however, that according to that article it doesn't last always and forever until the entire line is snuffed out, because it only applies to descendants who are alive at the time that the contract is drafted (even if they are currently a baby), not grandkids, great-grandkids, etc that they may have someday.
Thanks for the clarification!

So, this means that Disney has control until 21 years after Lilibet dies (assuming as the youngest, born 2021, she lives the longest). Since her family seems to have long-lived women in it, Lilibet may live to be 95 or older, which means Disney possibly has control until 2140 CE.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Raw Shark
Stunt Driver / Babysitter

Post by Raw Shark »

LadyTevar wrote: 2023-03-30 09:19pmThanks for the clarification!
No worries. I was curious about it, myself.
LadyTevar wrote: 2023-03-30 09:19pmSo, this means that Disney has control until 21 years after Lilibet dies (assuming as the youngest, born 2021, she lives the longest). Since her family seems to have long-lived women in it, Lilibet may live to be 95 or older, which means Disney possibly has control until 2140 CE.
Philip also had a pretty good run, and I doubt the best medical care that money can buy will remain stagnant for the next century.

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

So given that this is DeSantis we're talking about what exactly can the courts do if the state government decides to ignore them? What can Disney do if a MAGA judge decides to shrug and throw out the contract?
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Raw Shark wrote: 2023-03-30 09:25pm Philip also had a pretty good run, and I doubt the best medical care that money can buy will remain stagnant for the next century.
I'd expect the curent batch of royal grandkids to live to be comfortably over 120 years old at the current rate of tech development. Baring something serious of course.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Highlord Laan
Jedi Master
Location: Christo-fundie Theofascist Dominion of Nebraskistan

Post by Highlord Laan »

Hahaha! Eat a dick, DerFurher!
Never underestimate the ingenuity and cruelty of the Irish.
Captain Seafort
Jedi Council Member

Post by Captain Seafort »

Solauren wrote: 2023-03-30 09:53pmI'd expect the curent batch of royal grandkids to live to be comfortably over 120 years old at the current rate of tech development.
Why? Average life expectancy has been going up, but no human in history has lived to be "comfortably" over 120 - that seems to be something of a hard limit, and all the improvements are doing is allowing a greater proportion of the population to live to an age closer to the limit than historically.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Captain Seafort wrote: 2023-03-31 03:21pm
Solauren wrote: 2023-03-30 09:53pmI'd expect the curent batch of royal grandkids to live to be comfortably over 120 years old at the current rate of tech development.
Why? Average life expectancy has been going up, but no human in history has lived to be "comfortably" over 120 - that seems to be something of a hard limit, and all the improvements are doing is allowing a greater proportion of the population to live to an age closer to the limit than historically.
21 years PAST her death.
Assuming she lives 99yrs, the expiration would be 120 years.

Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Captain Seafort wrote: 2023-03-31 03:21pm
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_t ... est_people
Oldest verified human was 122 years, 164 days.

Now toss in stuff in development like cloned organs, tissue regeneration and the like.

Captain Seafort
Jedi Council Member

Post by Captain Seafort »

Solauren wrote: 2023-03-31 05:59pmOldest verified human was 122 years, 164 days.
Precisely my point. One human, out of the countless billions who have lived, recorded as scraping past 120, and she died over a quarter of a century ago. Yes, the average is going up, yes more are getting closer to that limit, but she's the only one who's ever passed it.
Now toss in stuff in development like cloned organs, tissue regeneration and the like.
And? Medical science has been improving continuously for centuries, and yet with the notable exception of Calment all those who have been recorded as the oldest living person have died at some point between 110 and 120. More are getting there, but they're not getting further.
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

Captain Seafort wrote: 2023-03-31 06:24pm
Solauren wrote: 2023-03-31 05:59pmOldest verified human was 122 years, 164 days.
Precisely my point. One human, out of the countless billions who have lived, recorded as scraping past 120, and she died over a quarter of a century ago. Yes, the average is going up, yes more are getting closer to that limit, but she's the only one who's ever passed it.
And? Medical science has been improving continuously for centuries, and yet with the notable exception of Calment all those who have been recorded as the oldest living person have died at some point between 110 and 120. More are getting there, but they're not getting further.
There are possibilities that anti-aging drugs and gene-editing could get there in time to be worthwhile for an ultrawealthy person who enjoys the idea of life extension. We do get small promising bits here and there every year and eventually some of it will reach the human testing stage.
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

Solauren wrote: 2023-03-30 09:53pm
Raw Shark wrote: 2023-03-30 09:25pm Philip also had a pretty good run, and I doubt the best medical care that money can buy will remain stagnant for the next century.
I'd expect the curent batch of royal grandkids to live to be comfortably over 120 years old at the current rate of tech development. Baring something serious of course.
Which becomes increasingly likely the closer to the edge Putin gets :lol:
bobalot
Jedi Council Member

Post by bobalot »

Is this really going to hurt deSantis?

He achieved what he set out to do, virtual signal to his Conservative supporters.
"This statement, in its utterly clueless hubristic stupidity, cannot be improved upon. I merely quote it in admiration of its perfection." - Garibaldi

"Problem is, while the Germans have had many mea culpas and quite painfully dealt with their history, the South is still hellbent on painting themselves as the real victims. It gives them a special place in the history of assholes" - Covenant

"Over three million died fighting for the emperor, but when the war was over he pretended it was not his responsibility. What kind of man does that?'' - Saburo Sakai

Join SDN on Discord
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

bobalot wrote: 2023-04-04 06:55am Is this really going to hurt deSantis?

He achieved what he set out to do, virtual signal to his Conservative supporters.
Well, he is being blocked by a place that the rest of the US and the World sees as "The Magic Kingdom", a place that's built up the idea of being "Family Friendly" and "THE GOOD GUYS" (even if they're really not) amongst the average American.

Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

He will likely swing for some indication of this being DEEP STATE SHENANIGANS or some such, but this whole thing is a farce and abuse of power anyway.
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

That depends on how many companies who would have funded his campaign decide that he's a risk to their profits. That they need to be worried that he might try to target them if they say anything he disagrees with.
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

LadyTevar wrote: 2023-04-04 08:16am

Well, he is being blocked by a place that the rest of the US and the World sees as "The Magic Kingdom", a place that's built up the idea of being "Family Friendly" and "THE GOOD GUYS" (even if they're really not) amongst the average American.
And who the people who DeSantis wants to court as voters have spent many years protesting and boycotting for their failure to ban gays and the like.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Ralin wrote: 2023-04-05 03:50am
LadyTevar wrote: 2023-04-04 08:16am

And who the people who DeSantis wants to court as voters have spent many years protesting and boycotting for their failure to ban gays and the like.
A point. Disney isn't going to block what's one of their biggest fan bases.