Disney sidesteps DeSantis Board

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Re: Disney sidesteps DeSantis Board

Post by Broomstick »

Sure, no problem, Florida could change the term limit or eliminate it entirely.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
The_Saint
Jedi Knight

Post by The_Saint »

Solauren wrote: 2023-05-21 05:57pm DeSantis doesn't seem to understand that people want jobs and the freedom of speech.

Therefore, picking a fight with his States largest Employer, for Saying what they want, and affecting Jobs (and costing Jobs), makes him an undesirable candidate.

After all, he now has a record of picking fights with major employers, and causing them to change plans and cost jobs. All the US would need is him becoming President, and then picking fights with Walmart, Amazon, Apple, IBM, Microsoft, and a few of the other major employers, and then they go 'fuck it, we're moving operations to Canada' (with Walmart closing on the way out).

That would kill the United States economy, all for one mans ego.
Do people (ie the average citizen) actually recognise this though or are they happy to back the politician that's 'sticking it to the corporate man' without realising that for once the corporation is actually kinda somewhat in a round-a-bout way for the people.
All people are equal but some people are more equal than others.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Broomstick wrote: 2023-05-22 08:55am Sure, no problem, Florida could change the term limit or eliminate it entirely.
Yeah. That's what I was asking -- how hard would it be to change the law.
Since the GOP have a lock in their Legislature it's just a matter of timing, as I'm sure DeSantis is more concerned about Presidential Hopes than staying another year as Gov.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

The_Saint wrote: 2023-05-23 02:05am
Solauren wrote: 2023-05-21 05:57pm DeSantis doesn't seem to understand that people want jobs and the freedom of speech.

Therefore, picking a fight with his States largest Employer, for Saying what they want, and affecting Jobs (and costing Jobs), makes him an undesirable candidate.

After all, he now has a record of picking fights with major employers, and causing them to change plans and cost jobs. All the US would need is him becoming President, and then picking fights with Walmart, Amazon, Apple, IBM, Microsoft, and a few of the other major employers, and then they go 'fuck it, we're moving operations to Canada' (with Walmart closing on the way out).

That would kill the United States economy, all for one mans ego.
Do people (ie the average citizen) actually recognise this though or are they happy to back the politician that's 'sticking it to the corporate man' without realising that for once the corporation is actually kinda somewhat in a round-a-bout way for the people.
First -- it will depend on which News Media they listen too. If it's Faux News, they have no idea what's going on, because I'm sure the loss of jobs is being spread all over Orlando.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

The_Saint wrote: 2023-05-23 02:05am Do people (ie the average citizen) actually recognise this though or are they happy to back the politician that's 'sticking it to the corporate man' without realising that for once the corporation is actually kinda somewhat in a round-a-bout way for the people.
For the average American I'd say probably the latter.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Disney Says DeSantis’ Oversight District Is “Dodging Obligations” to Produce Discovery, Asks Judge for Continuance
POSTED BY
MIKE
OCTOBER 26, 2023

Disney has filed a motion for continuance in the state-level trial where it is a defendant against Florida Governor Ron DeSantis’ Central Florida Tourism Oversight District. Disney is asking the judge for a continuance of 75 days for the summary judgment hearing that is currently scheduled for December 12, 2023.

At a high level, Disney says that the District “has been dodging its obligations to produce concededly relevant discovery while rushing consideration of its motion for summary judgment”. Disney accuses the District of employing a “leapfrog-to-judgment” strategy, saying that the District has been operating in a rushed manner. Before Disney’s Motion to Dismiss had been decided, the District’s counsel said that they had completed a final draft of the Motion for Summary Judgment that would “take care of this case as a matter of law”.

Disney says that they want to resolve the case expeditiously, but that “speed cannot come at the cost of developing relevant facts”. Disney says that the District cannot complain about the pace of the case when the District “failed to produce a single document for nearly two months” after Disney’s request. Disney says that the District “broke commitments to agreed-upon deadlines”, and they say that the District “remains in possession for discovery that Disney needs to develop its summary judgment opposition”.

In terms of a timeline of events, Disney says that it served the District with discovery on August 29, 2023. In the discovery request, Disney says that they have five interrogatories, including the identification of “affected property owners” that the District claims were not properly served information about the Agreements at issue. Disney has an additional 58 document requests that seek information such as attendees of the two public District meetings at which the Contracts were discussed; communications with the City of Bay Lake and Lake Buena Vista; and documents concerning the preparation, consideration, and adoption of the Contracts.

The District served responses and objections to Disney’s request on September 28th – the last day they were permitted to do so. Disney says that the District produced no documents. By September 30th, Disney asked the District to provide deposition dates for four employees that the District used declarations from in support of their summary judgment motion.

Disney and the District met on October 3rd and agreed that documents must be produced by the District with adequate time for Disney to review them before disposing witnesses. The parties also agreed that the depositions must occur significantly before the December 12th summary judgment hearing. On an October 9th follow-up call, the District “promised to provide” a date for substantial completion of the District’s production of documents. That information was promised by October 12th. The date came and passed, and Disney says it followed up via email on October 13th and 16th. Disney says the “District remained silent”. The District has still not produced the promised information.

Disney emailed the District, noting that the timeline was already tight for a December 12th hearing if the District would’ve followed through on its promises. Disney said that with the District’s delays and silence, there is “no realistic possibility” that the timeline will work for a December 12th hearing. The District ignored that email too.

Disney says that the District finally produced 1,209 documents in an after-hours email, and just four business days before the deposition of former District Administrator John Classe. Disney quickly reviewed the metadata of the documents and determined that the 1,209 documents came from 8 custodians, none of whom had been named in the District’s summary judgment. Put differently, Disney has not received a single document from an employee that the District produced as a declarant or a single document from any of the District’s Board Members. Of the 1,209 documents produced, former Administrator Classe accounted for 848 documents that amount to more than 11,500 pages.

Disney says that all of the District’s arguments for summary judgment are fact-bound, and that discovery will, once complete, demonstrate the existence of factual disputes inherent to the District’s claims. Disney says that the current hearing date deprives Disney of the time needed to compile a record in support of its opposition.

Disney says that expects pending discovery to produce evidence of facts material to each of the five counts on which the District moves for summary judgment as well as relevant evidence supportive of Disney’s affirmative defenses.
Ignoring discovery obligations will not go well for DeSantis' board here.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

The question is, WHY would they do that?

The Oversight District has to know pulling shit like that in legal proceedings will backfire.

So, are they doing it to just be dicks, or are they trying to cause themselves, and therefore Desantis, problems?
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Solauren wrote: 2023-10-30 08:30am The question is, WHY would they do that?

The Oversight District has to know pulling shit like that in legal proceedings will backfire.

So, are they doing it to just be dicks, or are they trying to cause themselves, and therefore Desantis, problems?
The Desantis board is made up of a lot of big fish in small pounds. They are just dicks who are used to getting away with everything.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Solauren wrote: 2023-10-30 08:30am The question is, WHY would they do that?

The only way this is a smart move is if there is something in those documents that will be more harmful to them if a court sees it than however the court responds to their noncompliance. Which probably means criminal activity.

Which means they are still idiots for writing it down.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Or, they have nothing to hide of themselves, but it's revealed something that DISNEY can use against them.
And the delay is for them to try to come up with offsets/defenses against that.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Solauren wrote: 2023-10-30 10:36am Or, they have nothing to hide of themselves, but it's revealed something that DISNEY can use against them.
And the delay is for them to try to come up with offsets/defenses against that.
Maybe. But a common penalty for not handing over discovery like this is an adverse inference. An instruction from the judge to the jury to assume something bad about whatever they are refusing to hand over.
Lost Soal
Sith Devotee

Post by Lost Soal »

If they had any brains they'd see what happened to Trump & Jones and hand over everything regardless of what it says... unless they believe the Judge is a right wing hack.
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places where you must walk." - Ancient Egyptian Blessing

Ivanova is always right.
I will listen to Ivanova.
I will not ignore Ivanova's recommendations. Ivanova is God.
AND, if this ever happens again, Ivanova will personally rip your lungs out! - Babylon 5 Mantra

There is no "I" in TEAM. There is a ME however.
Highlord Laan
Jedi Master
Location: Christo-fundie Theofascist Dominion of Nebraskistan

Post by Highlord Laan »

Lost Soal wrote: 2023-10-30 12:42pm If they had any brains they'd see what happened to Trump & Jones and hand over everything regardless of what it says... unless they believe the Judge is a right wing hack.
Bold of you to expect conservatives of any stripe are capable of actual intelligence. They're not there to do their jobs, they're in place to do the bidding of defascist and his horde of howling monkey's.

If any of them had any sort of brains or integrity they wouldn't be where they are now.
Never underestimate the ingenuity and cruelty of the Irish.
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Highlord Laan wrote: 2023-11-16 01:51pm They're not there to do their jobs
What exactly are 'their jobs' here?
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Ralin wrote: 2023-11-16 05:14pm
Fuck over Disney?

Highlord Laan
Jedi Master
Location: Christo-fundie Theofascist Dominion of Nebraskistan

Post by Highlord Laan »

LadyTevar wrote: 2023-11-16 08:54pm
Ralin wrote: 2023-11-16 05:14pm
Fuck over Disney?
Legally, they're supposed to administrate and improve the area, just like the prior board. Politically (AKA: "the quiet part",) they're supposed to suckle defascists asshole to better own duh libs.

So, like all modern conservatives, they focus entirely on the second.
Never underestimate the ingenuity and cruelty of the Irish.