Nashville Shooting

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Zwinmar
Jedi Master

Nashville Shooting

Post by Zwinmar »

The Mercury
By JONATHAN MATTISE, TRAVIS LOLLER and HOLLY MEYER (Associated Press)

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) — A former student shot through the doors of a Christian elementary school Monday and killed three children and three adults after elaborately planning the massacre by drawing out a detailed map and conducting surveillance of the building, police said.

The massacre at The Covenant School in Nashville was the latest in a series of mass shootings in a country that has grown increasingly unnerved by bloodshed in schools.

The victims included three 9-year-old children, the school’s top administrator, a substitute teacher and a custodian. Amid the chaos a familiar ritual played out: Panicked parents rushed to the school to see if their children were safe and tearfully hugged their kids, and a stunned community planned vigils for the victims......
Ground News
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Re: Nashville Shooting

Post by Broomstick »

Sometimes I fucking hate my country and it's stupid lust affair with firearms.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Tennessee Republican responds to school shooting: ‘We’re not gonna fix it’
BY JULIA SHAPERO - 03/28/23 12:03 PM ET

Tennessee Rep. Tim Burchett (R) said there’s no way to “fix” gun violence, after a shooter killed three children and three adults at an elementary school in his home state on Monday.

“It’s a horrible, horrible situation,” Burchett told reporters. “And we’re not gonna fix it. Criminals are gonna be criminals.”

“My daddy fought in the Second World War, fought in the Pacific, fought the Japanese, and he told me … ‘Buddy, if somebody wants to take you out and doesn’t mind losing their life, there’s not a whole heck of a lot you can do about it,’” he added.

Burchett also said he doesn’t see “any real role” for Congress to play in reducing gun violence, other than to “mess things up.”

“I don’t think you’re gonna stop the gun violence,” the congressman said. “I think you gotta change people’s hearts.”

When asked about how to protect children, like his own daughter, while in school, Burchett said he has opted to homeschool his daughter.

A 28-year-old former student of the Covenant School, a private Christian elementary school in Nashville, shot and killed three 9-year-old students and three staff members on Monday, before being killed by police.

There have been 13 school shootings thus far in 2023, which have resulted in the deaths of six students and four adults, according to Education Week.
Is anyone here surprised by the Republican response ?
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

I mean that's a stupid position expressed even more stupidly.

At it's core it's the old chestnut of "it's not a gun issue, it's a mental health issue/society/whatever excuse". (which would be more convincing if they ever tried to take said underlying causes)

But it really feels like saying the quiet part out loud if you say 'we're not going to fix it' rather than 'we can't fix it this way'.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

It makes sense. Overall they get more political capital by openly defending the guns than bothering with sad images of dead children. Defend the guns, and stay in power. The more brazen they are about it, the better off they are in Republican circles.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

FOX NEWS CLAIMS SHOOTER WAS TRANS
Nashville school shooter Audrey Hale: Who is 28-year-old transgender former student who opened fire at school
Police found hand drawn maps of the Covenant school with detailed entry points at Hale's residence in Nashville

Nashville police identified the shooter who opened fire on Monday morning at The Covenant School as 28-year-old Audrey Hale, a transgender former student at the private Presbyterian school.

Three children and three adults were murdered in the shooting: Evelyn Dieckhaus, 9, Hallie Scruggs, 9, William Kinney, 9, Cynthia Peak, 61, Katherine Koonce, 60, and Mike Hill, 61.

Nashville police chief John Drake identified Hale as a transgender woman on Monday afternoon, but Hale listed "He/Him" pronouns on a LinkedIn profile.

Hale allegedly shot through a locked door around 10:13 a.m. to gain entry to the school while armed with two rifles and a handgun, then climbed the stairs to the second floor and opened fire.

Two Nashville police officers entered the school and went to the sounds of gunfire, where they fatally shot Hale around 10:27 a.m., according to police.

Drake said that a nearby vehicle gave investigators clues to the shooter's identity.
Hale's home address is about three miles away from the Covenant School, according to public records. The FBI, ATF, and local police cordoned off that home with crime scene tape on Monday afternoon.

Investigators found a "manifesto" and other writings that they are looking into as they search for a motive.
Since it's FOX News, of course they're trumpeting the whole "TRANS" bit.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Meanwhile, a lot of other news outlets are writing script that goes to considerable effort to avoid using pronouns at all just to get around the issue while reporting the shooting.

It would not surprise me if this person had some sort of mental illness issue, but if they had not had access to guns there wouldn't have been such carnage. It pisses me off that the ammosexuals are so in love with their firearms that they can't tolerate even the smallest restrictions and are willing to accept a hecatomb of bodies, even the bodies of children, to feed their lust for weapons.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Marko Dash
Jedi Knight

Post by Marko Dash »

There already are background checks for everything but person to person transfers, and with no criminal history the background check would be passed anyway.

from what I've seen they'd already been seen by a phycologist and cleared to start hormone therapy.

so none of the most commonly brought up points would have changed anything, but a solid front door would have.
If a black-hawk flies over a light show and is not harmed, does that make it immune to lasers?
Zwinmar
Jedi Master

Post by Zwinmar »

As bad as it sounds it only surprised me that this doesn't happen to more Nashville christian schools: I had the unfortunate experience of being force to go to one growing up and they are evil incarnate, If you are even slightly different from the norm they will treat you with utter contempt. With this person being declared trans and having gone to that school I can easily see this as revenge against the staff who treated them horribly, and yes I have many horror stories from my time at a christian school there in Nashville though not the same one.
Highlord Laan
Jedi Master
Location: Christo-fundie Theofascist Dominion of Nebraskistan

Post by Highlord Laan »

The red hat scum and their fascist shitbag mouthpieces like fucker carlson are already using this as a rallying cry against trans people. There's already talk of how they need to "protect christians" and "purify" America, and we all know how fascists like DeFurher in florida are going to spin this.

Frankly, if they want violence, I say we give it to them. The strategic advantages to striking first outweigh the mealy-mouthed cries for surrender "civility."
Never underestimate the ingenuity and cruelty of the Irish.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Highlord Laan wrote: 2023-03-29 01:45pm The red hat scum and their fascist shitbag mouthpieces like fucker carlson are already using this as a rallying cry against trans people. There's already talk of how they need to "protect christians" and "purify" America, and we all know how fascists like DeFurher in florida are going to spin this.

Frankly, if they want violence, I say we give it to them. The strategic advantages to striking first outweigh the mealy-mouthed cries for surrender "civility."
So, you're advocating murder against people for their beliefs? Congrats! You're just like them.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

So the Allies were just as bad as the Nazis for fighting the Nazis?
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Highlord Laan
Jedi Master
Location: Christo-fundie Theofascist Dominion of Nebraskistan

Post by Highlord Laan »

Solauren wrote: 2023-03-29 03:29pm
Highlord Laan wrote: 2023-03-29 01:45pm The red hat scum and their fascist shitbag mouthpieces like fucker carlson are already using this as a rallying cry against trans people. There's already talk of how they need to "protect christians" and "purify" America, and we all know how fascists like DeFurher in florida are going to spin this.

So, you're advocating murder against people for their beliefs? Congrats! You're just like them.
Oh come off it you sanctimonious cunt. The worthless bastards have made it clear where they stand, and anyone against them is inherently better by simply not being them.

You're exactly the kind of sniveling little shit that would have stood aside during the civil rights marches and watched comfortably from safety in 1930's Germany while telling everyone they need to be civil.
Never underestimate the ingenuity and cruelty of the Irish.
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Batman wrote: 2023-03-29 03:54pm So the Allies were just as bad as the Nazis for fighting the Nazis?
You can't just go around shooting people for their beliefs or who they are. What kind of person does that?!

A Nazi. That's the joke
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

I can't see much in the way of difference between MAGA Republitards and the Nazis.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Highlord Laan wrote: 2023-03-29 06:06pm Oh come off it you sanctimonious cunt. The worthless bastards have made it clear where they stand, and anyone against them is inherently better by simply not being them.

You're exactly the kind of sniveling little shit that would have stood aside during the civil rights marches and watched comfortably from safety in 1930's Germany while telling everyone they need to be civil.
Last I checked, there is no active armed movement trying to overthrow the government of the United States and impose their beliefs by force. I do not condone the murder of people that, at this time, are sitting on their ass doing nothing more then bitching and complaining. Going after them before the do anything is murder, pure and simple.

The second they take up weapons and actually do something, use all required force. (I think the Capital Rioters got off very lightly, and are individually lucky they didn't have a high fatality count amongst their number, and would not have shed a tear for any of them, nor have I).

And the more you open your mouth, the more i expect to see YOU associated with a mass shooting, as the perp.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

ENOUGH.
This Thread is LOCKED Pending REVIEW.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You
For Those About to Rock We Salute You

Post by Dalton »

Advocating violence or criminal behavior is absolutely against board rules. I completely understand the anger, but this board is not physically located in the US and I don’t want Mike to get in trouble because some yahoo decided to call for murder.

This thread will remain locked. Any further calls for illegal activity will be met with an immediate permanent ban.
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.