Republicans are having trouble electing a speaker of the house

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Re: Republicans are having trouble electing a speaker of the house

Post by LadyTevar »

Straha wrote: 2023-01-07 01:28am On the 15th ballot Kevin McCarthy is elected by getting five dissenters to abstain after there was almost literal fisticuffs on the floor.

The debate on the rules package has been kicked to next week. Who knows what that will look like.
The Alabama Rep Mike Rogers was verbally laying into Gaetz and the others, but someone first grabbed his shoulder, then covered his mouth to yank him away. Don't know what was said, but Rep Rogers was obviously sick and tired of the games Gaetz & Co. were playing.
Wish they'd let that play out.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Straha
Lord of the Spam

Post by Straha »

bobalot wrote: 2023-01-07 06:14am The rules basically give this fringe group veto rights over the whole Republican party... lol
That was the offer the day before.

They cut a deal the day of the last vote. Those details aren't out yet. So the deal is probably even worse for McCarthy.

Which... Beautiful.
'After 9/11, it was "You're with us or your with the terrorists." Now its "You're with Straha or you support racism."' ' - The Romulan Republic

'You're a bully putting on an air of civility while saying that everything western and/or capitalistic must be bad, and a lot of other posters (loomer, Stas Bush, Gandalf) are also going along with it for their own personal reasons (Stas in particular is looking through rose colored glasses)' - Darth Yan
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Anyone want to guess at how many weeks we get before someone calls for a vote to replace McCarthy ?
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

bilateralrope wrote: 2023-01-08 10:33am Anyone want to guess at how many weeks we get before someone calls for a vote to replace McCarthy ?
I give it 60days.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
bobalot
Jedi Council Member

Post by bobalot »

The Democrats are apparently already planning one.

They should just call one everyday.
"This statement, in its utterly clueless hubristic stupidity, cannot be improved upon. I merely quote it in admiration of its perfection." - Garibaldi

"Problem is, while the Germans have had many mea culpas and quite painfully dealt with their history, the South is still hellbent on painting themselves as the real victims. It gives them a special place in the history of assholes" - Covenant

"Over three million died fighting for the emperor, but when the war was over he pretended it was not his responsibility. What kind of man does that?'' - Saburo Sakai

Join SDN on Discord
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

bobalot wrote: 2023-01-16 07:59am The Democrats are apparently already planning one.

Then they would be seen as the party obstructing government. Better to let the obstruction and infighting to the Republicans unless the dems can accomplish something useful.
bobalot
Jedi Council Member

Post by bobalot »

bilateralrope wrote: 2023-01-16 10:12am
bobalot wrote: 2023-01-16 07:59am The Democrats are apparently already planning one.

Then they would be seen as the party obstructing government. Better to let the obstruction and infighting to the Republicans unless the dems can accomplish something useful.
Loving that Biden has already informed McCarthy that there will be no negotiation over the debt ceiling.
"This statement, in its utterly clueless hubristic stupidity, cannot be improved upon. I merely quote it in admiration of its perfection." - Garibaldi

"Problem is, while the Germans have had many mea culpas and quite painfully dealt with their history, the South is still hellbent on painting themselves as the real victims. It gives them a special place in the history of assholes" - Covenant

"Over three million died fighting for the emperor, but when the war was over he pretended it was not his responsibility. What kind of man does that?'' - Saburo Sakai

Join SDN on Discord