Trump calls to "Terminate The Constitution"

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Trump calls to "Terminate The Constitution"

Post by LadyTevar »

Well, is it sedition yet?

Source
BBCNEWS wrote:Trump's call for 'end' of constitution condemned by Democrats

The White House has condemned former President Donald Trump after he called for the "termination" of the US constitution.

Mr Trump made the comments in a post to his Truth social network on Saturday while repeating his false claim that he won the 2020 presidential election.

He also accused "Big Tech Companies" of colluding against him with Democrats.

White House spokesman Andrew Bates said Mr Trump's comments were "anathema to the soul of our nation". "You cannot only love America when you win," Mr Bates said in a statement.

He added that Mr Trump's comments should be "universally condemned" - seemingly a pointed jab at senior Republicans who have so far avoided criticising the former president's outburst.

Other senior Democrats also challenged Republicans - including Rep Eric Swalwell who questioned how the party's members could continue to refer to themselves as "Constitutional conservatives" if they didn't condemn the comments.

In the post, Mr Trump referred to vague allegations of "massive & widespread fraud and deception" and asked whether he should be immediately returned to power.

"A Massive Fraud of this type and magnitude allows for the termination of all rules, regulations, and articles, even those found in the Constitution. Our great 'Founders' did not want, and would not condone, False & Fraudulent Elections!" he said.

The post came just hours after Twitter's internal deliberations around limiting a 2020 story about Hunter Biden were revealed.

The story, which came weeks ahead of the 2020 presidential election, was published by the New York Post and revealed the chaotic personal life and business dealings of President Joe Biden's youngest son.

Twitter initially blocked the story because of a company policy on hacked and stolen materials, and the leaked emails showed confusion and disagreements among staff as they scrambled to respond.

The files - which the BBC cannot verify - were published on Twitter by Substack writer Matt Taibbi on Friday night.

But last week, Twitter owner Elon Musk hinted that he would release the information, writing on the platform: "This is necessary to restore public trust."

The billionaire defended the move in a Twitter spaces live stream on Saturday, but he accepted there may be a "legal risk" to his decision.

"We're just going to put all the information out there try to get a clean slate," Mr Musk said. He added that legal risks were "less of a concern than just clearing the air and making sure that people know what really happened".

Mr Trump announced his third presidential bid last month and remains the favourite to seal the Republican nomination in 2024.

But he has come under fire this week after dining with a known white nationalist and Holocaust denier at his Florida home.

Mr Trump said he was not aware that the man would be present and said he had accompanied the rapper Kanye West - who earlier this week expressed admiration for Adolf Hitler and has been accused of a host of anti-semitic comments.
See also CNN News
CNN NEWS wrote:Trump calls for the termination of the Constitution in Truth Social post

Former President Donald Trump called for the termination of the Constitution to overturn the 2020 election and reinstate him to power Saturday in a continuation of his election denialism and pushing of fringe conspiracy theories.

“Do you throw the Presidential Election Results of 2020 OUT and declare the RIGHTFUL WINNER, or do you have a NEW ELECTION? A Massive Fraud of this type and magnitude allows for the termination of all rules, regulations, and articles, even those found in the Constitution,” Trump wrote in a post on the social network Truth Social and accused “Big Tech” of working closely with Democrats. “Our great ‘Founders’ did not want, and would not condone, False & Fraudulent Elections!”

Trump’s post came after the release of internal Twitter emails showing deliberation in 2020 over a New York Post story about material found on Hunter Biden’s laptop.

White House spokesman Andrew Bates said Saturday that Trump’s remarks are “anathema to the soul of our nation, and should be universally condemned.”

“You cannot only love America when you win,” Bates said in a statement. “The American Constitution is a sacrosanct document that for over 200 years has guaranteed that freedom and the rule of law prevail in our great country. The Constitution brings the American people together – regardless of party – and elected leaders swear to uphold it. It’s the ultimate monument to all of the Americans who have given their lives to defeat self-serving despots that abused their power and trampled on fundamental rights.”

Trump announced his third presidential bid last month and is still widely considered the leader of the Republican Party. Party leaders had hoped that the former president would drop his election denialism rhetoric after lackluster results in the midterms.

Earlier this week Trump expressed support for the rioters behind the deadly January 6, 2021, attack on the US Capitol, saying in a video played during a fundraiser that “People have been treated unconstitutionally in my opinion and very, very unfairly, and we’re going to get to the bottom of it.”

In a September interview, Trump said he was “financially supporting” some January 6 defendants and promised he would issue pardons and a government apology to those being prosecuted if he were reelected.

He has also come under fire for having dinner at his Mar-a-lago resort with known White nationalist and Holocaust denier Nick Fuentes and rapper Kanye West, who has recently made a slew of antisemitic remarks.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Re: Trump calls to "Terminate The Constitution"

Post by bilateralrope »

We are more than halfway between presidential elections and he still hasn't given up on the 2020 election.

I wonder what news he's trying to distract people from.
DaZergRock54444
Padawan Learner

Post by DaZergRock54444 »

LadyTevar wrote: 2022-12-04 11:27am Well, is it sedition yet?

snip...
Probably, but not likely beyond the level of sedition permitted by the same document he wants to invalidate.

What it should be is instantly disqualifying for holding literally any office of public trust, but palling around with the likes of Nick Fuentes, who openly calls for the termination of the republic, should have been disqualifying as well, and Trump is still the nominee presumptive.
Instead of foodservice equipment, let's play with large format projectors.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

bilateralrope wrote: 2022-12-04 12:14pm We are more than halfway between presidential elections and he still hasn't given up on the 2020 election.

Probably just trying to stay relevant between election cycles. Trump branded candidates lost high profile races, and others like DeSantis can actively build the resume.

Seeing officials declare the constitution to be "sacrosanct" is always funny though. The cult remains strong.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Oh, Trump, you fool. Don't you now that nothing you want to lose on the Internet ever disappears?

Major news organizations are aware of this now. They'll save it.

And you can bet it's going to come back to bite him on the ass when he's going for the Republican nomination.

Or at least, it better.

Otherwise, it will come back to bite him when the Democracts use it against him if he wins the Republican Nomination.

Constitutational and Government reform, people can get behind. But terminate the US Constitution? That will never fly.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
loomer
Sith Marauder

Post by loomer »

I think you overestimate the attachment of his base to democracy.
"Doctors keep their scalpels and other instruments handy, for emergencies. Keep your philosophy ready too—ready to understand heaven and earth. In everything you do, even the smallest thing, remember the chain that links them. Nothing earthly succeeds by ignoring heaven, nothing heavenly by ignoring the earth." M.A.A.A
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

His base was a lost cause from the word go.But his base isn't actually all that big and everybody else is going to have a problem with this.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

I think it's only sedition when his minions actually try and follow up on it. Otherwise it's just the rambings of a bitter old man who's been brung low by a combination of dementia and too much Fox News.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

Zaune wrote: 2022-12-04 06:44pm I think it's only sedition when his minions actually try and follow up on it. Otherwise it's just the rambings of a bitter old man who's been brung low by a combination of dementia and too much Fox News.
Like they did on January 6 you mean?
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Gandalf wrote: 2022-12-04 03:10pm
bilateralrope wrote: 2022-12-04 12:14pm We are more than halfway between presidential elections and he still hasn't given up on the 2020 election.

Probably just trying to stay relevant between election cycles. Trump branded candidates lost high profile races, and others like DeSantis can actively build the resume.

Seeing officials declare the constitution to be "sacrosanct" is always funny though. The cult remains strong.
Hopefully the classified documents investigation pulls Trump back into the news very shortly.
PainRack
Emperor's Hand

Post by PainRack »

Batman wrote: 2022-12-04 06:39pm His base was a lost cause from the word go.But his base isn't actually all that big and everybody else is going to have a problem with this.
I keep seeing this His base isn't all that big.

But more americans than before voted for him in 2020.

Ultimately, I just remember that actual Nazis also made up only 30% in Germany so .... ..
Let him land on any Lyran world to taste firsthand the wrath of peace loving people thwarted by the myopic greed of a few miserly old farts- Katrina Steiner
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Right, the Nazis were only about 30% of Germany when they took power. Trumpists are about 30-45% depending on the poll. The threat is very much there.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

This.
bobalot
Jedi Council Member

Post by bobalot »

Solauren wrote: 2022-12-04 04:43pm Oh, Trump, you fool. Don't you now that nothing you want to lose on the Internet ever disappears?

Major news organizations are aware of this now. They'll save it.

And you can bet it's going to come back to bite him on the ass when he's going for the Republican nomination.

Or at least, it better.

Otherwise, it will come back to bite him when the Democracts use it against him if he wins the Republican Nomination.

Constitutational and Government reform, people can get behind. But terminate the US Constitution? That will never fly.
His base don't care.
"This statement, in its utterly clueless hubristic stupidity, cannot be improved upon. I merely quote it in admiration of its perfection." - Garibaldi

"Problem is, while the Germans have had many mea culpas and quite painfully dealt with their history, the South is still hellbent on painting themselves as the real victims. It gives them a special place in the history of assholes" - Covenant

"Over three million died fighting for the emperor, but when the war was over he pretended it was not his responsibility. What kind of man does that?'' - Saburo Sakai

Join SDN on Discord
LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

bobalot wrote: 2022-12-16 06:04am His base don't care.
Even worse, they would love to suspend it, remove certain amendments and then put it back in place "The way THE FOUNDERSTM intended it"
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

I do archery skeet. With a Trebuchet.
Raw Shark
Stunt Driver / Babysitter

Post by Raw Shark »

That escalated quickly.

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker
bobalot
Jedi Council Member

Post by bobalot »

Raw Shark wrote: 2023-02-10 07:23pm That escalated quickly.
You are going to have to give us more than that.
"This statement, in its utterly clueless hubristic stupidity, cannot be improved upon. I merely quote it in admiration of its perfection." - Garibaldi

"Problem is, while the Germans have had many mea culpas and quite painfully dealt with their history, the South is still hellbent on painting themselves as the real victims. It gives them a special place in the history of assholes" - Covenant

"Over three million died fighting for the emperor, but when the war was over he pretended it was not his responsibility. What kind of man does that?'' - Saburo Sakai

Join SDN on Discord
Raw Shark
Stunt Driver / Babysitter

Post by Raw Shark »

Well, what can I really say here? I don't know the guy but he seems like a douchebag.

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

This thread was reported for Necromancy and OOC Spam.

Thread closed.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet