Walmart Shooting in VA

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Zwinmar
Jedi Master

Walmart Shooting in VA

Post by Zwinmar »

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-63724716
An employee at a Walmart supermarket in the US state of Virginia has shot dead six people and injured four others, police say.
Looks like it was one of the Overnight Teamleads that they put incredible stress on.
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Re: Walmart Shooting in VA

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

Considering Walmart actually sells guns I'm surprised this hasn't happened sooner.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

EnterpriseSovereign wrote: 2022-11-23 12:22pm Considering Walmart actually sells guns I'm surprised this hasn't happened sooner.
All you'd need is the key to the Gun Cabinet and access to the right ammo.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Do they all sell guns? I'm not sure they do in my area (I don't spend any time at all in Wal-Mart if I can avoid it). But yes, some sell guns.

There have been time over the past few years when things get very stressful and heated when my store has pulled all the ammo off the sales floor. I'm aware of this, because it all winds up in my office because that's one of the most secure locations in the building. Not that it would stop a determined shooter given how many other sources of guns and ammo there are in my county.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Zwinmar
Jedi Master

Post by Zwinmar »

I know many got rid of their non-blackpowder firearms as of a few years ago, as to if this particular one did, no idea.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

I live in WV, remember? Yes, Walmart sells guns and ammo.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
GrosseAdmiralFox
Padawan Learner

Post by GrosseAdmiralFox »

You wouldn't believe on how often this happens at a Walmart.

... when I was working there, by the time I left, it was at least a monthly occurrence because we have to go through a training seminar every time we have such an incident.
Raw Shark
Stunt Driver / Babysitter

Post by Raw Shark »

Broomstick wrote: 2022-11-23 02:16pm Do they all sell guns? I'm not sure they do in my area (I don't spend any time at all in Wal-Mart if I can avoid it). But yes, some sell guns
Depends on the state, mostly. My local Walmart in Colorado has a fabulous selection of long guns. Here in Massholistan, not so much.

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker
Raw Shark

Post by Raw Shark »

Moving to Colorado is kind of an experience for someone born and raised in Massachusetts. Everybody's got a gun on their hip. Walking down the street? That little old lady's packing heat. At the grocery store? Yeah. Pretty much anywhere? They have a weapon. You kinda get used to it.

SHARK ADVICE: If somebody points a gun in your direction, you run straight at 'em. Knock 'em down. That's your best chance.

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker
Bedlam
Jedi Master

Post by Bedlam »

Raw Shark wrote: 2023-02-08 07:32am Moving to Colorado is kind of an experience for someone born and raised in Massachusetts. Everybody's got a gun on their hip. Walking down the street? That little old lady's packing heat. At the grocery store? Yeah. Pretty much anywhere? They have a weapon. You kinda get used to it.

SHARK ADVICE: If somebody points a gun in your direction, you run straight at 'em. Knock 'em down. That's your best chance.
Probably depends if they actually intend to shoot you or not, if they didn't then running at them will probably change their mind.
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Bedlam wrote: 2023-02-08 09:26am
Raw Shark wrote: 2023-02-08 07:32am Moving to Colorado is kind of an experience for someone born and raised in Massachusetts. Everybody's got a gun on their hip. Walking down the street? That little old lady's packing heat. At the grocery store? Yeah. Pretty much anywhere? They have a weapon. You kinda get used to it.

Probably depends if they actually intend to shoot you or not, if they didn't then running at them will probably change their mind.
And how close to you they are when they do. Though someone aiming a gun you generally assume they intend to use it.
bobalot
Jedi Council Member

Post by bobalot »

It's amazing how many countries have perfectly functioning democracies without thr 2nd amendment.
"This statement, in its utterly clueless hubristic stupidity, cannot be improved upon. I merely quote it in admiration of its perfection." - Garibaldi

"Problem is, while the Germans have had many mea culpas and quite painfully dealt with their history, the South is still hellbent on painting themselves as the real victims. It gives them a special place in the history of assholes" - Covenant

"Over three million died fighting for the emperor, but when the war was over he pretended it was not his responsibility. What kind of man does that?'' - Saburo Sakai

Join SDN on Discord
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

bobalot wrote: 2023-02-08 05:23pm It's amazing how many countries have perfectly functioning democracies without thr 2nd amendment.
That's because said amendment (and good chunk of the US constitution in general) is relic of different era where such things were needed but due how hard it's to change the US constitution there has been no way to update to make match current standards/conditions.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Zwinmar
Jedi Master

Post by Zwinmar »

People tend to not realize how close we still are to the so-called "Wild West" even now much of Alaska is truly a frontier. We still live with the legacy of a system that built reservations and consider 3 leaving said reservations to be a warparty and subject to summary execution. Some consider the American Frontier era to have ended just before WWI which means it is conceivable that one of those 'cowboy' types were young enough to have been conscripted or volunteered and fought in the war. So to say a relic of a different era is would be to overstate matters when it could be more stated to be bordering obsolescence.
Raw Shark

Post by Raw Shark »

bobalot wrote: 2023-02-08 05:23pm It's amazing how many countries have perfectly functioning democracies without thr 2nd amendment.
Innit, though? I walk around a free man most days without a weapon. Amazing.

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Someone want to explain why you guys revived a thread from Nov of last year, and convince me not to lock this for Necromancy

Raw Shark

Post by Raw Shark »

LadyTevar wrote: 2023-02-08 11:13pm Someone want to explain why you guys revived a thread from Nov of last year, and convince me not to lock this for Necromancy
Tev. Get a grip. I know you're going through a rough time, but that was a month ago.

EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Raw Shark wrote: 2023-02-09 05:59am
LadyTevar wrote: 2023-02-08 11:13pm Someone want to explain why you guys revived a thread from Nov of last year, and convince me not to lock this for Necromancy
Tev. Get a grip. I know you're going through a rough time, but that was a month ago.
Link :mrgreen: