Mass shooting at LGBT/Drag queen club stopped

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

PainRack
Emperor's Hand

Re: Mass shooting at LGBT/Drag queen club stopped

Post by PainRack »

Broomstick wrote: 2022-11-25 03:11am
Angeli's diet and his views are not necessarily connected (nitpick: not a "vegan" diet but an "organic" one). He satisfied the court that his dietary regimen was a long-held practice/belief and was accommodated. I don't see where diet and political views are connected. Heck, Hitler was famously a vegetarian.

Court can be a bit of a circus at times. We'll see what happens as time goes on.
Ultimately, his whole I'm sorry and please don't punish me more act was revealed to be an act when

https://coloradonewsline.com/briefs/qan ... -oltmanns/

He said I don't feel sorry and I have fired my lawyer and will now appeal again.

The whole

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-us-canada-56301083
I regret entering that building turned out to be a lie, one generated for sympathy and as part of a narrative.
Let him land on any Lyran world to taste firsthand the wrath of peace loving people thwarted by the myopic greed of a few miserly old farts- Katrina Steiner
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Never said anything about Angeli's political views/guilt/innocence/criminal actions. Don't know why people keep bringing that up. The point is, his diet and his buffoonery are not linked. His eating an "organic" diet does not explain or tie into his crimes. He can have a weird diet AND be an insurrectionist.

Likewise, it is possible the Club Q shooter is non-binary, and up until now was deeply closeted. Given the family, that's not out of the question. Being non-binary does not rule out being a mass shooter or committing hate crimes against the LGBTQ+ community.

It's considered bad form to second-guess people who come out as something other than hetero/binary/"normal". As there has been a formal statement, to be consistent we should be referring to the shooter as non-binary until it's announced otherwise and using they/them pronouns.

Coming out trans did Chelsea Manning no favors, and she didn't do so until she was in legal troubles. She's no less trans for all that. For a more unpleasant example, Jeffrey Dahmer was gay. That didn't stop him from committing some horrific crimes against other gay men. So, from my viewpoint, it's entirely possible the Club Q shooter really is non-binary, even if the timing of the coming-out seems off.

Or, yeah, maybe the shitstain is lying. Who really knows? I just don't understand why they would lie about that because it's not going to do them any favors in the court system.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Raw Shark
Stunt Driver / Babysitter

Post by Raw Shark »

Given the circumstances, during the one incident where somebody legit tried to end my breathing career... no matter what I might say about the police sometimes, I don't blame them one bit for how they handled it. I had the upper hand at the moment when they got there, and cuffing us both until the 20+ witnesses had given statements was the prudent thing to do. I would've done the same in their place.

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker
Raw Shark

Post by Raw Shark »

Ghetto Edit: I'm not even trying to be Mr. Tough Guy here; this kid is currently doing life without parole for actual bad crazy murder. I generally keep an, "I don't rat - I handle it," ethos, but the fuckin' animal stabbed a 90# girl 30 times. Kid needed to go away one way or the other. I just got lucky. I genuinely hope that he makes something good out of his life, like writing a book or something. Such a waste all around.

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker
Raw Shark

Post by Raw Shark »

...one of the things about photographic memory... it's like it was five minutes ago. I can still feel the pain of my injuries, and hear the pop when I took out his knife arm, and all of it.

Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

I am in favor of the police restraining all involved in a violent incident until it can be sorted out. Just because it was a knife fight, doesn't mean someone isn't carrying a pistol.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Zwinmar
Jedi Master

Post by Zwinmar »

My problem is the populace in general gives cops way to much leeway because they were 'scared' , they should never be allowed to act like Barney Fife or Tacklberry, yet they do and nothing happens.
Raw Shark

Post by Raw Shark »

Zwinmar wrote: 2022-11-26 11:05am My problem is the populace in general gives cops way to much leeway because they were 'scared' , they should never be allowed to act like Barney Fife or Tacklberry, yet they do and nothing happens.
I most certainly agree, but in a situation where guy #1 is clearly doing 8.5 of the 9 Dances of Death on guy #2 at the time of arrival, and one witness (his girlfriend) is saying that guy #1 pulled the knife while the other 19 are saying the other guy had the knife, I don't have any hard feelings about spending a few hours in handcuffs while the Po-Po got their ducks in a row. Interviewing 20 people takes time. Now, do I wish that I was allowed to receive medical attention during those hours? Yes I do, but that's a separate issue.

Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Raw Shark wrote: 2022-11-26 03:42pm Now, do I wish that I was allowed to receive medical attention during those hours? Yes I do, but that's a separate issue.
Yeah, that's kind of a bummer. They should have had someone check you over and taken pictures for evidence at least.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Raw Shark

Post by Raw Shark »

Solauren wrote: 2022-11-27 10:34am
Raw Shark wrote: 2022-11-26 03:42pm Now, do I wish that I was allowed to receive medical attention during those hours? Yes I do, but that's a separate issue.
Yeah, that's kind of a bummer. They should have had someone check you over and taken pictures for evidence at least.
Facts. I got hurt pretty bad in that fight. Nine bone breaks - Yeah, I won, but I'm not fucking Deadpool. Wasn't really cool on the part of our completely broken law enforcement. Every time somebody says, "Thank God I was born in the USA," I think, "Curse God* that I wasn't born in Canada."

* I'm an atheist, but you get the point.
Last edited by Raw Shark on 2022-11-27 05:05pm, edited 3 times in total.

Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Raw Shark wrote: 2022-11-27 04:55pm
Solauren wrote: 2022-11-27 10:34am
Facts. I got hurt pretty bad in that fight. Wasn't really cool on the part of of our completely broken law enforcement. Every time somebody says, "Thank God I was born in the USA," I think, "Curse God* that I wasn't born in Canada."

* I'm an atheist, but you get the point.
Meh, Canadian cops screw up pretty badly sometimes too.

Raw Shark

Post by Raw Shark »

Solauren wrote: 2022-11-27 05:01pm Meh, Canadian cops screw up pretty badly sometimes too.
So there isn't hope. Well, at least now I know.

[puts on goggles, pours guzzeline all over the front seats, gets out the silver cake spray and bellows SHINY AND CHROME FOREVER!]

Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

ANY organization that big is going to screw up badly at times. That's simple statistics. It's that US police seem to do it regularly and on purpose.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

I've been in a few physical fights myself. All of which have put me off physical violence. Usually, even if you win you're still beat up as hell the next day.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Raw Shark

Post by Raw Shark »

Batman wrote: 2022-11-27 05:56pm ANY organization that big is going to screw up badly at times. That's simple statistics. It's that US police seem to do it regularly and on purpose.
Yeah, it wasn't the brightest demonstration of detective skills, but these guys weren't detectives. You and I, for example, might've immediately deduced that the guy who was winning would've left much more obvious and potentially fatal wounds on the other guy if the knife was his. I will charitably opine that they did their best.
Broomstick wrote: 2022-11-27 06:18pm I've been in a few physical fights myself. All of which have put me off physical violence. Usually, even if you win you're still beat up as hell the next day.
Yeah, I used to enjoy it and I'm glad that I learned self-defense, but now I'm coming to terms with being too old for that shit as a hobby.

EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

Broomstick wrote: 2022-11-27 06:18pm I've been in a few physical fights myself. All of which have put me off physical violence. Usually, even if you win you're still beat up as hell the next day.
What is it they say, never start a fair fight?
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Raw Shark wrote: 2022-11-27 05:21pm
Solauren wrote: 2022-11-27 05:01pm Meh, Canadian cops screw up pretty badly sometimes too.

[puts on goggles, pours guzzeline all over the front seats, gets out the silver cake spray and bellows SHINY AND CHROME FOREVER!]
Oh, get a half-life :)

Nah, Canadian Cop screw ups are, on average, way less then US cops in terms of both frequency and level.
But when they do screw up, it's national-level news coverage level.

EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

Solauren wrote: 2022-11-27 08:13pm
Raw Shark wrote: 2022-11-27 05:21pm

Oh, get a half-life :)

Nah, Canadian Cop screw ups are, on average, way less then US cops in terms of both frequency and level.
But when they do screw up, it's national-level news coverage level.
It sounded more like Mad Max Fury Road to me :mrgreen:

Yeah, cop screw-ups make the news here too, especially systemic ones.
Zwinmar
Jedi Master

Post by Zwinmar »

I think the problem with cops here in the US is that there is no real consequences for their screwups. Qualified immunity has been greatly abused, they claim that 'ignorance of the law is no excuse' while at the same time claiming that they 'didn't know' about civil rights. They are put up on a pedestal like they are some sort of paladin while acting like the law is just a 'guideline.' The thing is, I know it isn't every cop, or even most, but when the court system refuses to hold the worst accountable it leads to more and more becoming corrupt.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Zwinmar wrote: 2022-11-27 10:26pm I think the problem with cops here in the US is that there is no real consequences for their screwups. Qualified immunity has been greatly abused, they claim that 'ignorance of the law is no excuse' while at the same time claiming that they 'didn't know' about civil rights. They are put up on a pedestal like they are some sort of paladin while acting like the law is just a 'guideline.' The thing is, I know it isn't every cop, or even most, but when the court system refuses to hold the worst accountable it leads to more and more becoming corrupt.
We have a "General Police Abuse" thread. Please take this discussion there.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet