US midterms: First results hours away as Biden's presidency faces change regardless of results

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

US midterms: First results hours away as Biden's presidency faces change regardless of results

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

Joe Biden’s presidency is set for profound changes no matter what Tuesday’s midterm elections bring.

In public, Biden professed optimism to the end, telling Democratic state party officials on election eve that “we’re going to surprise the living devil out of people.”

In private, though, White House aides have been drawing up contingencies should Republicans take control of one, or both, chambers of Congress.

That's a scenario Biden said would make his life “more difficult.”

Regardless of the outcome, the votes will help reshape the balance of Biden’s term after an ambitious first two years in office.

In his first two years Biden had pushed through sweeping bills to address the Covid pandemic, rebuild national infrastructure, address climate change and boost the nation’s competitiveness with China - all while maintaining the slimmest of congressional majorities.

Now, aides and allies say his focus will turn to preserving those gains ahead of the next presidential election.

Should Republicans win control of Congress, Biden allies are gearing up for fights on keeping the government funded and its financial obligations met, sustaining support for Ukraine and protecting his signature legislative achievements from repeal efforts.

Republican wins could also usher in a host of candidates whom Biden has branded as threats to democracy - based on their refusal to acknowledge the results of the 2020 presidential race.

The Biden administration has been preparing for a flood of investigations should Republicans take over one or both chambers - devising strategies to address probes into the chaotic US military pull-out from Afghanistan and presidential son Hunter Biden’s business dealings.

If the Republicans take power, Princeton University Historian Julian Zelizer said, history shows it would be “very effective” for Biden to “focus on their extremism, and to turn their new power against them".

White House aides and allies have been closely monitoring the clamouring on the right to investigate or even impeach Biden.

The potential shift comes as Biden, at 79, has repeated his intention to run for re-election.

He will need to make a final decision soon, perhaps teeing up a rematch against former President Donald Trump, who has teased his own expected announcement on November 15.
A bad midterm outcome doesn’t preclude a president’s re-election - historically incumbents are strongly favoured to win another term.

But Zelizer said that even presidents who manage to defy history and avoid major losses or hold their majorities are forced to change course for the balance of their terms.

When pressed by reporters on why Biden hadn’t done more to outline what he hopes to accomplish in his next two years, White House Press Secretary Jean-Pierre said: “Why not just tell the country what we have done. Why not just lay that out. Which we have.”
Link.
What's left unsaid is whether the Republicans would leave Ukraine at the mercy of Russia if they were to wrest control.
Mastr Blastr
Redshirt

Re: US midterms: First results hours away as Biden's presidency faces change regardless of results

Post by Mastr Blastr »

So far looks like a minor red wave. Nothing like 1994 or 2010.
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Re: US midterms: First results hours away as Biden's presidency faces change regardless of results

Post by wautd »

Happy to see that so far its not a landslide win by the republican anti democratic extremist faction. Democracy in the US isn't dead yet, but we'll see in two years given a lot of election deniers got elected as well
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

EnterpriseSovereign wrote: 2022-11-08 05:43pm What's left unsaid is whether the Republicans would leave Ukraine at the mercy of Russia if they were to wrest control.
Let's be fair to the Republican party here. They've been pretty supportive of aiding Ukraine. The main peaceniks are specifically from the hardcore Trumpist wing. So I don't think Congress swinging right necessarily means Ukraine gets left hanging.
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

wautd wrote: 2022-11-09 02:44am Happy to see that so far its not a landslide win by the republican anti democratic extremist faction. Democracy in the US isn't dead yet, but we'll see in two years given a lot of election deniers got elected as well
That's no surprise, though I wonder how many genuinely believe that or whether they're just jumping on the bandwagon for the sake of gaining votes.
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Until today I hadn't heard of a man called Ron Desantis but apparently he's emerging as a serious contender for the Republican nomination as presidential candidate in 2024. I've no idea if he would be better or worse.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

EnterpriseSovereign wrote: 2022-11-09 02:23pm Until today I hadn't heard of a man called Ron Desantis but apparently he's emerging as a serious contender for the Republican nomination as presidential candidate in 2024. I've no idea if he would be better or worse.
DeSantis is, for those who don't know, the governor of the state of Florida. He's been mildly oppositional to Trump for awhile, and more overtly so in recent months. From the standpoint of being professional politician who actually governs he's more competent than Trump ever was or is likely to be.

He did his share of kissing up to Trump in 2018 because, if you're running for governor, it's helps if your PotUS puts in a good word for you.

Reasons I am not fond of DeSantis (aside from once having been a Trump supporter):

-He opposed pandemic measures like face-masks, stay-at-home for the ill, vaccine mandates, and so on
-In the anti-abortion camp, although not as extreme as some (no abortion after 15 weeks, but allows exceptions for various reasons)
-He's anti-regulation and anti-tax - by which I mean he'd cut taxes to the point the government couldn't pay the bills.
-Believes that the schools are indoctrinating kids with "woke" views (I say they're telling the truth about history).
-Anti-electric car
-Opposed to gun control (the NRA loves this guy)
-He's an asshole about immigration
-He's an asshole about LGBTQ+ issues/rights (big supporter of the "Don't Say Gay" laws)
-He's a complete goat-felching shithead about anything regarding trans gender people
-In favor of censoring his political (and other) opponents but wants the more whack-a-doodle fringe of his own party run free, to the point of trying to get a law passed that would prohibit on-line media from booting off politicians (especially his own party's)
-He's trying to restrict/reduce mail-in voting and absentee voting - despite that being popular with voters of his own party in his state.

Positives (for certain definitions of that word):

-He actually does believe in climate change (I completely disagree with how he plans to deal with it, or not, but that's a different thing)
-Favors exempting social security benefits from taxes, and exempting those over a certain age from having to pay into social security (as they would almost certainly also be collecting at that point).
-Favors restoration of the Everglades and other water conservation/quality measures.
-Favors a ban on hydraulic fracking in his state.
-I'm kind of neutral on this one: term limits for those serving in government. He actually has adhered to his favored term limits in his own career, remarkably enough, so he's not a hypocrite on this.
-Elimination of pensions for members of Congress (I'm also sort of neutral on this one).
In favor of restoring voting rights to felons after they have served their sentences AND paid any outstanding fines (that one landed him in court, but I don't want to get into it too deeply here.
-Despite being a shithead about immigration he's in favor of dual use of Spanish - probably because his state has so many Spanish speaker and they vote for him.

There's a lot about him I really don't like, but on the other hand, I think he actually knows how to be an elected official and he's less likely to embarrass the nation than Trump did/would. I'd rather he not be PotUS, but if I absolutely had to make a choice between Trump and DeSantis I'd choose DeSantis. Under great protest. Possibly while retching. It's like saying "Do you prefer to have skin cancer or colon cancer?" I don't want any cancer at all, but if I absolutely had to choose I'd opt for the least bad thing I'm more likely to survive.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Formless
Sith Marauder

Post by Formless »

Broomstick wrote: 2022-11-09 03:47pm-He's an asshole about immigration
To expand, he's the guy who illegally tricked a bunch of asylum seekers in Texas to fly to Matha's Vinyard as a political stunt, which backfired spectacularly when the local sheriff began investigating all involved (including DeSantis himself!) as criminal conspirators to Unlawful Restraint under Texas law; meaning all the victims are now getting U Visas to stay in the US as victims and witnesses.
"Still, I would love to see human beings, and their constituent organ systems, trivialized and commercialized to the same extent as damn iPods and other crappy consumer products. It would be absolutely horrific, yet so wonderful." — Shroom Man 777
"To Err is Human; to Arrr is Pirate." — Skallagrim
“I would suggest "Schmuckulating", which is what Futurists do and, by extension, what they are." — Commenter "Rayneau"
The Magic Eight Ball Conspiracy.
GrosseAdmiralFox
Padawan Learner

Post by GrosseAdmiralFox »

The map according to the Associated Press... it looks like that the Dems are keeping the Senate (hell, they GAINED a seat!) and they picked up on two Governor races this year. The only thing -and was expected- was that the Dems lost races in the House.
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

Broomstick wrote: 2022-11-09 03:47pmFrom the standpoint of being professional politician who actually governs he's more competent than Trump ever was or is likely to be.
Very rarely have I seen anyone be so thoroughly damned by faint praise.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Broomstick wrote:Positives (for certain definitions of that word):

-He actually does believe in climate change (I completely disagree with how he plans to deal with it, or not, but that's a different thing)
-Favors exempting social security benefits from taxes, and exempting those over a certain age from having to pay into social security (as they would almost certainly also be collecting at that point).
-Favors restoration of the Everglades and other water conservation/quality measures.
-Favors a ban on hydraulic fracking in his state.
Well, he's got reasons for some of these, considering his constituents.
1. Climate Change. The state of Florida is suffering from climate change, with hurricanes hitting harder and coastal land flooding.
2. Of course he supports Social Security! Think of how many Conservative Retirees live in Florida!
3 & 4. Did not know about these two, but they make since because Florida is atop a huge natural aquifer that is starting to show contamination from not only fracking but from various other businesses that have been dumping in the Glades. Algae blooms along the coast from fertilizers getting into the water turned tourist beaches in ugly wastelands, which also hits Florida's State Income.

But IMHO the CONS outweigh the PROS.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
muse
Jedi Council Member

Post by muse »

I have a question: Why do you guys keep doing this? Is this an unwritten election rule of some sort?

https://nypost.com/2022/11/09/late-pa-s ... reelected/
Pennsylvania state lawmaker Tony DeLuca re-elected despite dying last month

He came in dead first.

A state lawmaker in Pennsylvania was re-elected on Tuesday despite passing away last month.

Tony DeLuca, a Democrat, died of lymphoma on Oct. 9, too late for election officials to change the ballots. DeLuca was 85.

DeLuca, who served in the state legislature for 39 years, defeated the Green Party’s Queonia “Zarah” Livingston, garnering more than 85% of the vote in his deep-blue Allegheny County district.

“While we’re incredibly saddened by the loss of Representative Tony DeLuca, we are proud to see the voters continue to show their confidence in him and his commitment to Democratic values by re-electing him posthumously,” Pennsylvania House Democrats said in a tweet.
ø¤ º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur.
(Whatever is said in Latin sounds profound.)

I like Celine Dion myself. Her ballads alone....they make me go all teary-eyed and shit.
- Havok
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

muse wrote: 2022-11-09 08:28pm I have a question: Why do you guys keep doing this? Is this an unwritten election rule of some sort?

He came in dead first.

A state lawmaker in Pennsylvania was re-elected on Tuesday despite passing away last month.

Tony DeLuca, a Democrat, died of lymphoma on Oct. 9, too late for election officials to change the ballots. DeLuca was 85.

DeLuca, who served in the state legislature for 39 years, defeated the Green Party’s Queonia “Zarah” Livingston, garnering more than 85% of the vote in his deep-blue Allegheny County district.

“While we’re incredibly saddened by the loss of Representative Tony DeLuca, we are proud to see the voters continue to show their confidence in him and his commitment to Democratic values by re-electing him posthumously,” Pennsylvania House Democrats said in a tweet.
Maybe they forgot he was dead?

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

muse wrote: 2022-11-09 08:28pm I have a question: Why do you guys keep doing this? Is this an unwritten election rule of some sort?

He came in dead first.

Because voting for the Republican guarantees you get that Republican.

But a vote for the dead Democrat gives a chance of getting a Democrat in once they get through the "he died" process.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

'Too late for election officials to change the ballot' sort of says why they did it.The wheels of bureaucracy turn VERY slowly. I can buy 'there was no time to remove him from the ballot'. Though a month seems borderline.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Reprinting the ballots seems possible.

Deciding who to replace him with would take longer. Unless someone wants to argue that there shouldn't be a Democrat on the ballot in such a blue district.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Oops, I forgot about mail in ballots. I don't know enough about how they work to guess at if they could be reprinted in time.
Highlord Laan
Jedi Master
Location: Christo-fundie Theofascist Dominion of Nebraskistan

Post by Highlord Laan »

As nice as it is that the fascist wave got checked, I find it infuriating the number of Democrat voters was so low. Every election, I end up favoring mandatory voting more and more.
Never underestimate the ingenuity and cruelty of the Irish.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Highlord Laan wrote: 2022-11-10 12:59am As nice as it is that the fascist wave got checked, I find it infuriating the number of Democrat voters was so low. Every election, I end up favoring mandatory voting more and more.
From what I've gathered in countries with mandatory voting there's a very high rejection rate of votes due to people voting for "Donald Duck", "God", "Satan" or whatever else would cause the vote to get rejected instead of not voting.

So essentially you'd just replace one problem with another.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Formless
Sith Marauder

Post by Formless »

Lord Revan wrote: 2022-11-10 02:45am
Highlord Laan wrote: 2022-11-10 12:59am As nice as it is that the fascist wave got checked, I find it infuriating the number of Democrat voters was so low. Every election, I end up favoring mandatory voting more and more.
From what I've gathered in countries with mandatory voting there's a very high rejection rate of votes due to people voting for "Donald Duck", "God", "Satan" or whatever else would cause the vote to get rejected instead of not voting.

So essentially you'd just replace one problem with another.
I think I would rather have that problem than the voter suppression problem that we have right now. Its my understanding that many countries have a mandatory holiday for election day, and that especially goes for ones that have mandatory voting like Australia. Not only is that not the case here in the States, no doubt you've heard all the shit that the Republicans have been doing to try and keep anyone not rich, white, and above retirement age from casting a ballot. And no, employers in this country feel no obligation to let you off work for an hour to go vote on election day, because they're run by the absolute worst human beings on Earth.
"Still, I would love to see human beings, and their constituent organ systems, trivialized and commercialized to the same extent as damn iPods and other crappy consumer products. It would be absolutely horrific, yet so wonderful." — Shroom Man 777
"To Err is Human; to Arrr is Pirate." — Skallagrim
“I would suggest "Schmuckulating", which is what Futurists do and, by extension, what they are." — Commenter "Rayneau"
The Magic Eight Ball Conspiracy.
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

Batman wrote: 2022-11-09 09:59pm'Too late for election officials to change the ballot' sort of says why they did it.The wheels of bureaucracy turn VERY slowly. I can buy 'there was no time to remove him from the ballot'. Though a month seems borderline.
I get that there are probably sound reasons for it, particularly in this day and age, but the US seems to be a bit too resistant to the idea of postponing elections for its own good sometimes. Where I'm from, if a candidate dies before the polls are due to open we push the election for their seat back by thirty days to allow time for their party to nominate a replacement.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Tennessee voters officially ban all forms of slavery in the state
BY CAITLIN O'KANE

NOVEMBER 9, 2022 / 2:31 AM / CBS NEWS

Tennessee has officially banned all forms of slavery. Voters on Tuesday approved a ballot measure that removes language allowing slavery and involuntary servitude as forms of punishment for those convicted of crimes.

The measure passed with 79.54% of the votes, according to the Secretary of State's office.

The measure amended Article I, Section 33 of the Tennessee Constitution, which states that "slavery and involuntary servitude are forever prohibited in this state – except as punishment for a person who has been duly convicted of crime." The new amendment removes the language allowing for these punishments.

The section will now read: "Slavery and involuntary servitude are forever prohibited. Nothing in this section shall prohibit an inmate from working when the inmate has been duly convicted of a crime."

Before it was sent to voters in the state, a majority of Tennessee lawmakers supported the proposal, but six legislators voted against it.

"I'm a non-lawyer and most of my voters are non-lawyers and I can't explain this amendment in words they understand," Republican State Senator Frank Niceley said during a 2021 meeting of the Tennessee General Assembly. "The Constitution is too sacred is too scared to clutter up with a lot stuff non-lawyers can't explain to other non-laywers. So I guess I'll be voting no on this."

The measure was one of four on the ballot in the state this Election Day.

The 13th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution abolished slavery in 1865, but includes similar language allowing for involuntary servitude to be imposed as punishment for crimes.

State Senator Raumesh Akbari said in an interview with Fox Nashville last year that the amendment to the state's constitution would close that loophole.

A bipartisan group of legislators supported the "Vote Yes on 3" campaign, which urged voters to adopt the ballot measure. "Words matter and in the constitution, there is still a resemblance of slavery leftover," Democratic State Rep. Joe Townes said in a bipartisan campaign ad with Republican Rep. Jeremy Faison.

"It's important that we do away with all thoughts of slavery in our constitution," Faison said.
Good news here.
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

So in practice what exactly does that change if convict labor is still explicitly permitted? Other than preemptively blocking any future "Let's auction convicted criminals off as chattel slaves" laws?
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

The convict labor has to be voluntary.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

bilateralrope wrote: 2022-11-10 09:45am The convict labor has to be voluntary.
And that is gonna screw any "For Profit" prisons in Tennessee, which hire out the prisoners to make the Prison Owners extra money.
I now wonder if this also means prisoners will be getting more pay for their work, as some prisons the work was "punishment" and unpaid, while other prisons pay fractions of a dollar either per hour or per day's work.